Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Coolnezzz posted:

Mine does this too, but it's usually the heater on at full blast. Seems to happen most often to me when making left turns over a bumpy road. Annoying but no big deal.

Things like this would drive me up the loving wall. My father in law dealt with a 'suddenly heater full blast' in his 2013 Chevy Truck. And we're in south Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Sigma X posted:

Well, I just got back from testing out a FiST. It was sold over the phone literally while I was test driving it. Impressions: The gas pedal is god-awful deep compared to the brake. The shifter also feels really high and forward. The boost torque is nice, but runs out fast. It rolls the sidewalls with even moderate lane-to-lane input. And the steering wheel is SOFT, like gripping a pillow tightly.

Now to test out a WRX tomorrow and see if it feels like 7K more car.

I bet the interior won't feel like 7k more.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

The Locator posted:

I'm getting too old. I kind of really like that the FoST is so quiet. I commute over 100 miles per day in it, so I just like that it's comfortable and quiet as a daily driver.

The sound I like the most is the turbo 'tisss' noise after getting a little boost and taking my foot off the throttle.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dr.Caligari posted:

When I'm off work I will make you both feel better. I've curbed mine at least twice and have damage to 2 (if not 3) out of 4 rims. The first time I did it I knew immediately and felt sick. I totally avoid street parking or parking near curbs in parking lots now. I'm terrible car stuff.

Off topic, but what is the threads thoughts on the Caliber SRT4? I never hear it mentioned. The body styling looks like a 16 year old was given a body shop, blank check and a base model Caliber and told to get to work. Is the engine the same as in the Neon SRT?

I don't know anything about it, but it's base is a Caliber and that's reason enough to brush whatever comes from it right off.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Bovril Delight posted:

Heh.

Agree though, I'd be hard pressed to pony up that much when there are established marquees at that price point.

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/04/vw-executive-confirms-production-golf.html

I love this idea like I love the Hellcats. If it comes to the USA I'd be seriously looking at it as long as there wasn't some sort of fatal flaw. I love my R, what wouldn't there to love about a super R?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

TheGoatTrick posted:

I'd wait a few months until the new Clubman is available. It's the same size as the 5-door GTI and is way cooler looking.

They'll all be fun cars to drive, though. The current generation of MINIs is more GTI-like in how solid they feel. I don't think VW has been too much better with reliability in the past, either.

This is one of those reminders that looks are entirely subjective because I do not like the look of this thing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Yeah but at least in an ST no one is expecting s drag race at every traffic light.

When I'm tooling around in my white Golf R I get a bunch of peacocking from dudes all the time and I intentionally don't want to be noticed. If someone recognizes an ST over a normal Focus they are just as likely to want to race as someone who recognizes a GT Mustang over a normal one. Maybe it's the tuner car guys vs. muscle car guys that's the difference idk.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
A Focus RS in that blue at that price looks mighty fine indeed. If there isn't any major hang-ups or limited numbers I might become a Ford man.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

Whats that? You broke something? Oh you upgraded your ECU? Pound sand buddy.

Does Ford have a version of TD1 like VW does?

My local Ford dealer actually sells pre-tuned cars under warranty. This was includes STs and lifted super trucks.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

blk posted:

I'm considering selling the Saabaru and buying a Fiesta ST. What is wrong with me?

Nothing because STs own?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

Where did I get taken for a ride.

Service, god damned oil changes are over 100 bucks at the dealer, and at this point I don't have the giveashit to do them myself
The 30k service is brake fluid/radiator flush + filters and oil. That one alone is around 250. I'm coming out ahead on the service package.
GPP insurance covers me when some fuckface either steals it or totals it out from under me because of the price of the car, and was still cheaper to do through the dealer than through my own insurance.
Tell me again where I got taken for a ride?
As far as price goes, I got it for MSRP which there was really no way around. Other dealers out here are charging 5k OVER msrp.

Still haven't actually had much time to mess with it as I basically slept from the time I got the car home until this morning after being up over 30 hours due to it taking me around 12 hours to put the trade back together with stock stereo and wheels. Removing and reinstalling the stereo was a giant pain in the rear end.

As for the opti-coat and clear bra, I'm having those done elsewhere not at the dealership. http://opti-coat.net/

Don't you get 3 years 33,000 miles service covered as a part of buying the car? I haven't paid anything for my 13 besides swapping the tires to super sports.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Wicaeed posted:

Not too sure about VW, but when I bought my Ford the only thing covered was the scheduled inspections at the factory specified intervals. The oil changes/labor was not covered.

Hell even my new S3 doesn't come with that included, I had to shell out about 500 to get it covered for 40k miles, but now at least I have no charge maintenance for the next 3 years.

Really?
Looking it up it's changed with the new Rs at least. Only 1 year care-free, when in 2013 I got 3 years care-free maintenance. Audi would have a different deal than VW I'd imagine so I don't know about their coverage, but that you don't get the 3 years like you did before when buying an R is lovely.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

GutBomb posted:

Mods don't void warranties. Especially not something like that. If ford can prove the mod caused the failure you are trying to claim as warranty work they can deny that particular claim and any future claims they could directly trace back to being caused by a non standard motor mount. That's all.

Depending on things though this is the entire point, having to fight back at a dealer/manufacturer if they decide to dig in their heels and make you fight.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

Credit card debt is the worst debt.

Funny way to say 'student loan' debt.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

I already want a louder exhaust :(
Wish they would just put a proper exhaust on the car instead of making it quiet then adding the stupid soundaktor junk.

I very much enjoy the turbo noise over exhaust. I don't need loud blaps, all I need is the wooOOOOSH tss and all is right in the world.

That said I'm sure there are all sorts of things you can do for your exhaust. I've got about 7k miles left on the factory warranty and then it's off to APR.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

nuclear_cheetos posted:

So after a couple months I've got the 1-2 shift down and figured out how to get 37-40 mpg (35ish if I drive like a hooligan). All in all I'm incredibly impressed with what you get with the Fist and like it so much I'm considering another Ford in the near future. Pretty sure my wife will be happy but I'm cursing the salesman at the Ford dealership for putting the bug in my ear on just how cheap you can get a 15 EB Stang for (went in to look at a Miata for myself and instead found what could be a fun car for the woman so she's not always hauling the Sienna around).

We'll see how January goes.

There is a real possibility now that I'm going to join you and others in Ford ownership. I was fantasy considering the RS before but what with VW doing their wacky software tricks I'm almost certain I'll be trading in my R for the RS. Principles, you know? Also that blue and 345 horses.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

You really think Ford isn't doing their own shady stuff too? VW just happens to be the first company that got caught.

I'm actually going to pull 400 miles out of this tank on the R.

I'm sure they have skeletons yes, but like you said VW was caught. Think about the damage that VW has wrought, not just on the environment or their stock, but on people. You've got thousands of customers screwed in one way or another because a few people at VW decided to lie on purpose. Think of the dealerships and all the people that work there who have had the floor fall out from under them. Think of the embarrassment that is felt by people that work at VW worldwide and the discussions and defending they have to do about something they had no control over.

I bought my R because it was the best car I had in front of me at the time and now I know they have wrecked havoc on so many things and so many people. That bothers me a whole lot and I'm going to capitalist it up and not buy their products anymore since that's the only thing I can do.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Nohearum posted:

What's the most comfortable hot hatch for long highway trips? I'm currently driving a 1997 Civic and the cabin noise at highway speeds is starting to drive me crazy.

Going to bet the GTI/R is going to be the most comfortable out of the new ones. They are less harsh than an ST and the seats are much better for cruising. I drove to Michigan and back from Florida in 4 days and had no complaints, and also to Texas from Florida for Quakecon and two other people and we also had no complaints. This was in an MK6 R.

I would imagine the Mercedes AMG CUV would probably be the most comfortable although that's really tall for a hatch.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

A Loud Fart posted:

The fiesta ST is a high demand car, I can see a dealer swapping red calipers for a buyer, for a price, to close a sale. I've been shopping the car seriously now for a few months and can't get a test drive if the dealer has one in stock, and models with Recaros are unheard of. Molten Orange with matching seats is fantasy. Just let me drive one jesus christ I'd put down a deposit but I can't trust the dealer to give it back.

I'd run right the hell away from that dealership if it were me, ignorance or purposeful doesn't really matter if both results end up in you getting shafted.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Pilot super sports. Baller-rear end tires in the rain as long as it doesnt get cold. Does fab in the dry too.

Super Sports are excellent tires, yes. I have them on my R and it makes a huge difference especially in the "how fast can I comfortably take this traffic circle at" scenarios.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

If you want super high performance that won't last more than about 15k miles :)

Personally I stick with tires that won't cost me 300 per and wear out in 2 years.

266 per at tire rack in my size, and only a 300 wear rating.

I dunno, I bought a performance-oriented car and consider good tires to be like premium fuel. I bought the car I might as well do what I can to take advantage of it. If I wanted to save money I wouldn't have bought a fancy Golf.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Christobevii3 posted:

It is like $2000-2500 for a tune and required parts on a car that is had under $20k. I'm just saying it is an option worth looking at if he was considering the fiesta st since the problems with the fiesta st interior size and comfort wise are resolved in the veloster. Having a 40ft turn radius sucks in cities?

If you are comparing one brand new car as is to another brand new car that you have to gently caress with in order to even start to approach the other one then that's kind of a big deal. Especially comparing something like the interior of a GTI to a Veloster, the guy is obviously talking about living with a vehicle and is beyond numbers.
If the GTI is light on power then what you really need is a Golf R :getin:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

AvesPKS posted:

I'm going to go test drive a Focus ST again. I'm haggling with some dealerships on GTI pricing so I figured I might as well. One question: should sitting in the Recaros feel like I'm sitting in a bucket? Only thing I didn't like about the Focus ST, and I'm hoping I just didn't adjust them properly, although I'm afraid this won't be the case.

What do you mean bucket? Like you are loose in them or they hug you tight?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BoostCreep posted:

Why do people keep saying this? Exactly how much of a "Focus" do you think is still in there?

Nobody bats an eye at spending 36k+ for these piles:

It's an unoriginal trope that I guess people say when they want to be clever and be a sort of dissenting voice in the face of universal praise, it isn't actually based on anything real.
Hot hatches own and I would totally buy a ~36k~ Focus provided it was fast and didn't give up it's practicality at all. Oh this hatchback has 350hp, is a 6 speed manual and has AWD and comes in a wicked sweet blue color lmao are you loving kidding me of course. The only way you could get even more on point is if it came in brown.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have to say that, while the RS looks like ten kinds of fun, from a practical, single DD sort of perspective the Golf R is quite a bit more appealing. I'm getting old.

The RS is extremely appealing to me but my R is really comfortable and I'm guessing that, in practice, the better car for me personally for basically why you say. The blue and the giant wing wrap past boy ricer back to 'loving cool as hell' but I don't know what that would be like to live with. I like having a white R as it's ignored by everyone save for the ricer guys that have something to prove, and everyone ignores those guys because lol.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Larrymer posted:

What? :confused: Cars like the BRZ have DI and PFI injectors if that's what you mean. I don't think the EPA is stopping anybody from doing that.

What he means to say is that VW is too cheap to bring it over here.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

8ender posted:

Why in the world is that not the stock tune? Horsepower gains aside, the torque curve looks way more useful for day to day manual transmission owners.

MPG test number manipulation probably.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

WescottF1 posted:

We replaced my wife's old 2003 Mazda 6 with a 2016 on Saturday and every time either one of us has driven it, we reach for the non-existent key. Hard habit to break after 25+ years of driving cars with the ignition on the steering column.

I've gotten so used to keyless that any time I have to drive my wife's car there is a 50-50 chance I'll jab my finger in the ignition.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I average 21 in my R, you guys don't drive it like you mean it

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Having so much ride height in your truck removes the practicality in the vehicle. There is no benefit to being so high up and removing the ability to see around you if you need a pickup truck to haul things or to pull trailers. If you are going to get a truck why bother getting something that is harder to drive than something smaller?

Am I doing this right?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Powershift posted:

Well, Focus RSs are just sitting on dealers lots. Much like how they originally wanted to sell 4500 05-07 ford GTs, but could only sell 4,038, nobody wanted them so they just sat in showrooms with $75,000 market adjustments.

Dealerships are most certainly the worst.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

8ender posted:

Well Mitsubishi has dropped all the cool poo poo for the RVR, Outlander and Mirage so I guess we'll get to see a real world application of the theory.

Maybe 2017 will be the year of Mitsubishi dropping out of the North American market.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Wamsutta posted:

I see a decent number of E63 wagons but I live in a pretty affluent area of the country. That's for sure a rich people car.

The real hot-wagon AMG E63 Wagon is (last I heard anyway) the ~most exclusive~ car that Mercedes makes. Turns out that a $120k hyperwagon is something only a few people appreciate but boy I would just give me one Mercedes I'll make it up to you promise.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Man so choice, although I'm not a fan of that generation of style.
I have to imagine the maintenance being $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Radiohead71 posted:

That looks really nice, I love the white. Any problems with sunroof leaking?

Worried about a leaky sunroof for some reason?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Radiohead71 posted:

There are threads going on vwvortex and mk7. It may be fixed with newer cars, but there are some reports of it with a tsb to fix the issue.

Oh huh, didn't know. I've got a 2013 R in Florida and have no issues at all even monsoon season so I was just curious.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Quite A Tool posted:

poo poo is getting real in my search for a hot hatch. It's currently down to the Fiesta and the GTI. Anyone mind throwing down why they went one way or the other?

I want the Fiesta for the driving experience. But the GTI is so much nicer for the long hauls my wife and I like to take around the PNW. I'm having trouble justifying the extra 4-5 grand that the GTI commands though.

You've pretty much got it. The GTI is a nicer place to be when driving but the Fiesta ST is going to be lighter and more tossable while being 5 gs cheaper. I'd focus on figuring out how many long hauls you are going to take in it and base your decision on that. GTIs/Rs are very nice places to be on long hauls like that considering what they are.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

willroc7 posted:

Sweet ST. I heard you can get great deals on them right now.

I laughed at this, but an R looks way more like a GTI than an RS looks like an ST.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Even good dealerships are still predatory and thus, poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You can reprogram the ECU for more power / higher emissions / better throttle response / whatever.

Is it really that much better than a GTI? Whenever I've driven one I've not felt that it's worth $10K over a GTI. It is the "mature" option, though. I think I'm getting too old for a FoRS.

The R is definitely better than the GTI but the cost is too much vs. how much better. And yeah the R is the most adult hot hatch, even more so than the GTI with it's red lines.
My R treated me perfectly in the 3 years I had it but now it's gone I don't miss it at all.