Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Bob A Feet posted:

*http://www.mrt-direct.com/2013-ford-focus-eco-flow-exhaust.html

The only complaints I have are that the stock radio/bluetooth computer is wonky as hell, there is no dead pedal surface (got allweather mats for that though), and that it is a blast to drive so I get awful mileage figures. I mean going from a Fit to this is like a kick in the dick on mileage.

I want to like the ST, but every picture someone posts that isn't from an ad/promotional has awful hood panel gap. What gives, Ford?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Rhyno posted:

I'm okay with no 3 door Focus, the 5 door looks pretty good. It's the lack of a 3 door Fiesta that bugs me.

I thought the Fiesta ST that was coming to the states would be a 3 dooor. That's a bummer!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

bobfather posted:

The Focus ST and Fiesta ST I think both can run 87 octane.

In fact, my factory manual for my Focus recommends running 87, in spite of the fact that it develops maximum horsepower and torque when 93 is put in.

You'd be stupid to run 87 in either of those cars. That it can do it is no surprise. That it will knock, get poorer fuel economy, and generally suck is also no surprise.

My girlfriend's 3.8 Genesis coupe also says it can run on 87, but it knocks under high load. So, I convinced her to start buying 93.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Didn't know I got a free day of The Abarth Experience with car purchase, and it's in Houston in two weeks :dance: Signing up for that poo poo. Anyone here done it?

I was really tempted to see if I could weasel my way in by entering the VIN of an Abarth on some dealer lot.

"Why did I show up in my MS3 instead of my Abarth? Uhhh, this is my daily driver. Yeah, that's right."

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Kill-9 posted:

You don't get to drive your own car during the Abarth track day. They bring a couple trailers full of their own cars for you to drive. It's great because you're tearing up someone else's car. lovely part is no pics of you being awesome in your own car.

I don't think the VIN trick would work though as they know who bought what Abarths and when. You get a whole 'Welcome to the Abarth Family' package a couple weeks after you pick up the car. The packet comes with a snazzy, and easy as hell to lose, Abarth usb/keychain.

I thought you missed my point, and then you got it.

I just said that because when I first heard about the Abarth track day thing, I was excited to sign up thinking that it would be free like the CTS-V Lab. Alas, you either have to have purchased an Abarth or fork over way more cash than a trackday would run you. (Just like the Jaguar Villain Academy.)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Fix that hood gap!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
My brother just picked up a 2015 FiST with whatever package comes with the Recaros. After he has closed on the deal, the dealer went with him to fill the tank up. He said with the shifter in neutral, clutch out, AC off, and on level ground, the engine just stalled/died on him.

Does anyone know about this behavior?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

Someone here had one, but yeah, the odds are pretty much never.

He was in Australia and the car was over $100k USD, I thought. Madness, but I kind of want one.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Sigma X posted:

Today, after filling the gas tank, the FiST stalled twice. At idle. Like a loving shitbox from the mid-80s. And apparently this is a "known problem".

This happened to my brother's FiST the day he bought it. Someone on here said it was something about not leaving the fuel nozzle in long enough after it shuts off or something, when filling up. Whatever the case, I haven't heard him mentioning happening more than that one time.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

I'm amazed at how fast my new R warms up. Coolant is at full temp before I leave my neighborhood.

Coolant temp != oil temp

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Did you just reply to the post without reading a couple of days of replies that said the same thing in a much less dickish way?

I... sure did. Thanks for notifying me in a dickish way.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
You guys are aware that the headrests are tilted forward to help prevent neck injury from whiplash, right?

One of the Recaro engineers have a talk at the V-Lab about how the designed the seats in the CTS-V, with a mechanism in the seat to track and stabilize your neck in a rear end collision.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Maybe my posture sucks while driving, but my head is almost never resting against the headrests in my MS3. I keep the seat back pretty upright.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 14, 2015

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Is the BMW X1 rwd? I suppose that's kind of a hatchback, but the you'll need to do something about the truck ride height.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I got a screw in my passenger rear tire right near the edge, so it's probably time to replace them. I "only" have about 18k miles and 2 years of ownership on the tires.

Any recommendations for tires for a 2009 MS3 in 235/45 R17? I'm currently running the Continental Extreme Contact DW. (Not to be confused with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS all-season tires.)

Edit: The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is $169/per and seems to have very positive reviews on Tire Rack. Have any of ya'll run these? Any estimate or guess on how long they would last or if they're any good?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 16, 2018

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Larrymer posted:

PSS are very good, but I only put about 5-6k on them then sold the car. Can't comment on the tread life but it's a grippy summer tire so I wouldn't expect more than 20k (this is my guess, read what other folks say and don't take this as gospel) out of them if you drive it spiritedly.

I was able to get the tire patched, but noted. Maybe i'll try the PSSs when I really need new tires.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Gosh I am just addicted to hearing that go-kart turbo in my fiesta spool. Regardless as to where I am, if I hit a stop light and I have room I'm hammering every gear up to ~3.5k just to hear that sweet sweet whine.

What's everyone else's favorite auditory bit of their grocerymobile?

Gear whine and turbo spool are the best noises.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Solus posted:

Gonna be honest, I just took the RS Civic out for a test drive qnd despite being CVT, when you drop a gear with the paddles it fuckin goes

An infinitesimally small gear?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 15, 2018

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I wish they would bring the i30n to the states. I would consider that as a replacement to my MS3.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

Yeah, backup cameras actually rule if you use them right (i.e. don't use them as a replacement for your mirrors neck)

I think it's a piece of technology unfairly maligned by those who claim to want *~a pure driving experience~*

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Have any of y'all installed the Koni Special Active Struts (SAS) on your cars? It looks like the FSDs are discontinued and this is the replacement or updated part.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
How busted are my LCA bushings and how much would you expect a shop to charge to replace them?

Front passenger side:

Front driver side:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I have several clunks that I'm trying to track down. I have new struts, tophats, and strut bearings that I am planning to replace. I noticed some play there. I'm not sure if a portion of the clunking is also coming from the LCA though.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Here4DaGangBang posted:

The new 3-cylinder FiST has a bi-modal muffler to go with the various drive modes AFAIK, it would be nice to have that ability.

I confirmed that the FoST res has been installed correctly, and the new tips are going on tomorrow morning. I’m more and more certain the tips will make a marked difference. I re-stumbled upon a vid on YouTube where a guy with a Dodge of some description found that his new exhaust was really droney, but when he switched from the stock rear valance (which had those fake exhaust pipe trims built in with the actual pipe exit being back under the bumper and firing through those trims) to the rear valance off some other variant and added tips which protruded out past the bumper a couple of inches, his drone disappeared..

In other news, the stock engine mounts on FiSTS seem really pissweak both in terms of how soft they are and their tendency to fail. Mine has been making a weird creaky noise when it’s cold since last year, and I now know from talking to other owners that this is a classic sign of a mount which has failed or is going to. Ford have confirmed my mount is sagged. I was going to get a new factory mount and augment it with a Powerflex insert (and add an insert to the gearbox mount too) but another local owner just installed the Vibratech Fast Road mounts in both locations and found very little extra vibration and much better feel over the stockers, so I ordered a set of them last night.

I put the eFocus rear motor mount on my 09 MS3. The PO had installed the Cusco insert, sometimes before I bought it, about 80k miles ago. The original mount seemed undamaged, but the new eFocus amount has made a significant difference.

Apparently Focus RS owners and ST owners have done the eFocus swap. I would do that over an insert.

I haven't noticed any extra vibrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Huge_Midget posted:

The FoRS has the eFocus RMM from the factory. It’s pretty awful when you use launch control, so I upgraded to the CP-E Stage 2 RMM. Made a huge difference in how the car feels. I’ll eventually upgrade the other two motor mounts to CP-E units too.

Ah I did not know that. Depending on how much longer I keep my car, I may upgrade the motor mounts to the ones made by Damond for my MS3, but I can understand why you'd upgrade from the eFocus to something stiffer on the RS.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I'm not even sure what it is. It might be one of those California-only cars for all I know. In my case, there was/is a lot of parts sharing between the mazda 3 and various Focuses (Foci?), and the eFocus RMM, along with strut tophats and strut bearings, were recommended upgrades or alternative parts.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Torque steer is cool and good and fun. I'm pretty sure the modern, high power FWD cars have tuned it out.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Does the FIRST/FiST have intake valve carbon buildup issues to?

I keep thinking maybe I should clean my intake valves on my MS3 since I'm pretty close to 100k miles but it seems like a tedious job. I also haven't found a local shop that advertises doing walnut blasting (on cars that aren't VW/Audi/BMW).

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I had hoped that at least Ford has added some port/secondary injectors. I guess they didn't.

For that matter, on my GF's TTS, the euro model has port injectors, but the USDM model does not. :arghfist:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
This is not lost on me.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

still cringing at the thread title

Had to explain to my GF the GTI we saw with a "I <3 VAG" sticker on the rear glass. I wouldn't be surprised if the car also had a shocker sticker above the exhaust, but I don't exactly remember.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
There's very likely a shop near you that does wheel powder coating, painting, and repair of minor curb rash. That doesn't look too bad, although I'm not sure if the finish is bare metal or a paint. You might try looking around for that.

Anecdotally: I had a set of 5zigen FN01R-Cs on my 240sx 13ish years ago that I curbed while parallel parking at a gf's house. Long story short, I found a shop in Houston that somehow touched up the chips in the paint or powdercoat finish and fixed them up to a point where I could not find the damage when looking for it. I think I paid $200, maybe?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Kinda want this, although I imagine buying a used $100k car is probably actually a moneypit.

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/austin-2013-mercedes-e63-amg/6973438844.html&#160;

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I need to get a new job with a big fat raise, before I can start thinking about stupid awesome purchases like that. I would also, realistically need a house with a three car garage cause I don't think this boat would fit in my "two car" garage.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Nobody called the Model 3 the "M3"

A coworker at my office has the license plate (something along the lines of) "FAST M3" on their model 3 and for the longest time I was trying to figure out if they used to own a BMW and traded/sold it and kept the license plate.

But now I realize they're just an imbecile.

Edit: Hot hatch related: hopefully these new engine mounts fix some of the concerning noises my car is making. :|

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 8, 2019

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
The RMM is the eFocus one, at the moment-- replaced a few months ago from the OEM with a Cusco insert.

If my other two motor mounts have failed/gone out and this fixes the clunks, and aren't super NVH-y I'll probably buy the RMM too.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Yeah the eFocus mount was definitely a little more stout Thane the factory MS3 but I didn't notice any extra NVH from it. Maybe power delivery felt smoother, but I'm unsure.

Honestly, I think I'm just going to keep the car running and hope a cool EV hot hatch comes out, or maybe eventually get an EV truck to tow my motorcycle to track days and haul plywood and lumber.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah Damond side mounts are supposed to be good- be a little extra NVH compared to the stock ones but not too bad.

Dunno if I'd go with their RMM unless you wanna deal with some vibes though (looks like a solid block with two little bushings at the cross bolt contact points)- I went with a Mountune one and it's barely noticeable but definitely on the softer side for an aftermarket RMM.

My crosspost from the MZR thread, but I feel like "a little NVH" is an understatement, unless I completely forgot to do something after installing the pmm:

I haven't had a chance to do the trans mount yet, but I pulled my replaced PMM and installed the Damond one, and holy poo poo, is it ever loud. The OEM pmm was still in tact and seemed healthy.

I will do the trans mount and see how it feels, but I'm not sure if I will keep the pmm or remove it. Or maybe it will brake in a little and get less bad. Who knows?

I at least need to go get an alignment and do an autocross now that I got poly-mounts-bro.

Oh, also, discovered an oil leak at what I think is the gasket between the oil cooler and the spin on filter housing. So I guess I need to order and install the updated cooler, and I guess do a coolant change since I think you have to drain the coolant to remove the cooler.

Great.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I've been getting a little more frustrated with my MS3 and various maintenance issues coming up. My brother just happened to buy a Model 3 Performance ("stealth"), and consequently has a 2015 FiST he will need to sell.

So, I'm considering selling my MS3 and buying his FiSt off of him since it's a few years newer, lower mileage, better fuel economy, etc. It is basically a stock car with factory Recaros, although he did buy an AP for it along with a short shifter and some RPF1s.

I think if I do wind up going with this I will want to do the Sync 3 upgrade to get Android Auto.

Any reasons I should or shouldn't do this?

I have RPF1s on my MS3, currently, and I've still got the factory wheels sitting in my garage. I assume I'm not going to get any additional value out of the car selling them together. Would it make more sense to put some inexpensive tires on the OEM wheels, swap them back onto the car and sell the RPF1s separately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Yeah that is sort of disappointing, going from the MS3 GT trim with alcantara to the FiST interior. However, I think the ergonomics in the FiST might be slightly better for me, and the recaros are a tighter fit than the MS3 seats. The MS3 doesn't allow me to get the steering wheel close enough to my chest, while sitting far enough back for the pedals to be comfortable so I get a lot of strain on my shoulders in longer drives. As I recall after borrowing the FiST for a weekend a few years ago I think it was a little more comfortable.

Either way, I'm gonna borrow it for a few days again to see if I really want it.

I'm also not sure of exactly what my MS3 could be sold for these days. I've got just about 95k miles and the car is basically stock save for fresh shocks and struts, a rear swaybar, and the Damond engine mounts. I think I might go ahead and get a Dr. Colorchip set to fix a few scratches and polish the headlight lenses before I list it, if I sell it.