Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

KomradeX posted:

Would that really be the "low damage" option? I can't imagine that would have been good for anything (if anything) lives at that depth. But I'll admit I don't know much about the effects, and try to be less hysterical about nuclear anything, but I recall seeing Micho Kauku on Rachel Maddow talking about how it was a bad idea. I could be mistaken it was a few years ago now.

Well the other alternative was to allow the oil to wash up into Louisiana wetlands, which would have pretty much turned the entire coast into wasteland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

spikenigma posted:

But, even leaving aside the fact that regardless of your :airquote:pesticide resistant:airquote: GM crops "life..er..will...er...find a way", I can't imagine some Monsanto CEO saying:

:ohdear: "This unrelated species is breeding slightly more/less which could have unforeseen irreversible effects on the eco-system. Halt all sales until we do a proper environmental assessment for our precious and respected customers. No no don't worry, I'll take this hit with the board and the shareholders".

See, you post some :smugdog: poo poo, which for the most part I can agree with outside the fact that you approached it from the perspective of a pedantic rear end, but then you post what I quoted above, and reveal that you honestly just don't know what you are talking about. 'Pesticide Resistant'? The gently caress is that even supposed to mean? Bt GMOs are not 'pesticide resistant' crops. Do you even know what Bt is? How it works? What it is intended to do? Do you know how it is used outside the GMO realm? How is this article, in any way, an indictment of Bt crops?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Buller posted:

Why don't you tell us about those non-herbicide resistant crops Monsanto makes that go well with round up then?

So what you are saying is: No, you don't know what Bt is, or what Bt crops are. Thanks for proving my point I guess?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

spikenigma posted:

I see you've gone for the scattergun approach: try to make your 'opponent' look stupid by asking pointless questions. An interesting tactic. :)

I think you need to work on it though, because you're asking me if I know the answer to your stupid questions when you don't know what a pesticide resistent crop is?

GM'd Oilseed rape is a 'Pesticide Resistant' plant

Golden rice has been modified to produce a pesticide resistant crop.

Tomatoes is an obvious and recent one.

Sweet corn is another.

:confused: I mean, it's right there in the name!

You genetically modify a plant (often with bacteria...more specifically 'Bt' as you mention....even more specifically: Bacillus thuringiensis) to resist pesticides so that you can spray your crop with cheaper and/or better pesticides so the plants themselves don't die.

They are...one might say....pesticide resistant ;).

The article you posted was about Bt corn, which has nothing to do with 'Roundup Ready' or herbicide resistant crops (Bt corn is not 'pesticide resistant'). Bt is an insecticide used to kill a variety of insects, and right this very minute practically every organic farmer in the US is probably spraying their crops with Bt.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Cream_Filling posted:

No, you're completely wrong. Let me make this as simple as possible:

Bt crops have been engineered to create pesticides within their own cells, so that the vulnerable parts of plants contain Bt proteins that are toxic to certain insects. You make them because then the poison is inside the plant so when insects start eating the plants, they get a mouthful of poison and die. That way you don't have to use as many pesticides and the plants are healthier, which increase yields and reduces fertilizer usage.

And in the interest of full disclosure, Bt producing plants already existed in the wild. Bt corn was modified to do what other plants already do.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Right, herbicides can be called pesticides. However, that has nothing to do with Bt corn, which is what you posted a link about and you called them "pesticide resistant." And now you are doubling down on your stupidity rather than admitting that you made a mistake, and that perhaps you did not know what you were talking about.

Bt corn is not pesticide resistant.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

That is how that specific company selects that specific corn in order to determine expression of the Bt trait. Not all Bt corn shares the same selection process, and this is for selection only, not for crop maintenance. You just keep posting poo poo, without any understanding of what it is you're posting.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
You posted an article about Bt corn, and called them "pesticide resistant" crops. You can try and wiggle the goalposts around and reword your claims all you want. You don't know what you are talking about, you are just googling things.

quote:

But, even leaving aside the fact that regardless of your pesticide resistant GM crops "life..er..will...er...find a way",

You also claimed that Bt crops have the unintended side effect of creating "pesticide resistant" pests (notice how I used the term correctly). Which is misleading at best.

quote:

"This unrelated species is breeding slightly more/less which could have unforeseen irreversible effects on the eco-system. Halt all sales until we do a proper environmental assessment for our precious and respected customers. No no don't worry, I'll take this hit with the board and the shareholders".

archangelwar fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 3, 2013

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

spikenigma posted:

:smith:

Are you saying there are not Bt corn strains which are not pesticide resistent crops?

The original quote, which I have repeated for you in case you forgot it, directly states that you believe an accurate description of Bt corn is 'pesticide resistant.' You doubled down on this statement by directly claiming that the Bt trait is for the purpose of resisting pesticides which is factually false. I am not sure if this is some 'argument ad snoozium' where you argue until your opponent falls asleep, but these are factual statements that you have said, that were factually incorrect.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Walh Hara posted:

How will labeling GMO food cause (all?) food to become more expensive? How would labeling increase the prises of non-GMO food? How would labeling increase the prises of GMO food?

Honestly, "giving people a choice" is only part of the ethical reason why I think labeling is fine, more importantly I just think all requests for information (edit: about food/products) are valid. Witholding information (edit: about food/products) for any reason whatsoever feels wrong to me from an ethical perspective.

Every single vegetable that is consumed that is not Bt or RoundUp Ready that otherwise could have been directly results in greater use of chemical pesticides and requires more land for the same yield. If you think that the existence of labels would not be used as proof to perpetuate negative stigma then you are being willfully obtuse.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

down with slavery posted:

:lol: yes I was hoping you'd go full monty and call for the overthrow of state referendums.

Do you think state referendums should have unlimited scope or something?

quote:

You are insane.

Have I gone crazy? Do we not want to live in a democratic society?

You're willing to throw away direct democracy for the people over GMO labels. Think about that.

Wait, what? Of course I do not want a direct democracy, since when was that insane?

archangelwar fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 17, 2014

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So can we be honest and say Tight here mainly hates gmos because he's a farmer in the most loose sense and if the poor people around him had easier cheap food he'd be out of work?

He is not a farmer, he is a hobbyist, which would explain his enthusiasm over being so ignorant.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

It's more like a vocation. Hobby would mean I spend my leisure time growing plants, which isn't the case.

And unlike most people in this thread, I have successfully grown tasty, healthy food from seed to give to the poorest people in my community, so it's not like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Other people in this thread, myself included, have agricultural backgrounds so don't pretend that you have some sort of special knowledge or insight into this subject. You can successful grow a tomato and still know fuckall about large scale agricultural practices, and you have amply demonstrated your ignorance on this topic.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
Do you give equal weight to the FDA or USDA as you do the EFSA?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Trabisnikof posted:

It doesn't have to be anti-science to decide to use proof of value rather than lack of harm to regulate an activity. Its not a very American idea, but there aren't any really valuable reasons for wealthy countries to allow GMOs. There isn't good proof of harm, but that's not the only regulatory standard that's valid.

This is not a standard applied to other foodstuffs and there is no reason to believe that GMOs produce an enhanced risk such that they should be treated different.

Such treatment is arbitrary and anti-science.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I'm an organic farmer and I do none of those things, so... Also where did you copy all that from?

You are a glorified gardener who wanted to mate his tomatoes with a poisonous berry earlier in this thread.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

peter banana posted:

Just that some form of organic farming can match conventional yields. I didn't even mention GMO's when I first posted.

Can you qualify this claim better, because every time you have tried to correct someone you keep weakening the strength of this claim to the point of crafting a strawman that no one has argued. Are you claiming that organic farms can have identical yields as conventional farms dedicated to maximizing yields under identical conditions with equal or lesser resources expended? Unless this is your contention, you are literally tilting at windmills and starting to sound more like a shill than an genuinely interested party.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My wife is absolutely certain that Coke from a McDonald's soda fountain tastes different from any other Coke. Probably something to do with the specific syrup manufacturer and the way the water is carbonated.

The formula, even in the same region, is affected by a ton of difference variables: is is pre- or post-mix, the various systems the syrup is used in, etc. These formula changes impact taste. And then, as Fishmech points out, different regional or subtypes have very different formulas.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

The Larch posted:

I don't know, BP was pretty disruptive a couple years back.

This is probably the most correct usage of the term in a decade as well.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
I agree with many of the things stated about the modern state of US agriculture but it will in no way be addressed or solved by limiting or targeting GMOs.

Edit: And neither is "organic" labeling a collection of targeted solutions.

archangelwar fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 11, 2016

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Buller posted:

It also annoys me that you guys keep saying "That is farming not GMO" when you then keep bringing up that you think EU are stupid for not allowing GMO farming.

What the gently caress does this even mean? What do anti-scientific bans on GMO research and usage have to do with this? You are all over the place.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

GlyphGryph posted:

Fishmech I know you loving being really stupid about things like this, but this is dumb even for you. You are managing to make yourself look stupid on a page where Mofabio is posting. Its sad.

But, no. I am not one of those types who would declare every company a monopoly. Just someone who realizes what a monopoly actually is, which you, apparently, are not.

Normally I would to make a persuasive argument here with factual citations and poo poo but lol, its fishmech, you would just ignore my pointa in favour of making pedantic attacks against something I never said.

What exactly is your definition of monopoly and how does it apply to Monsanto in this discussion? There are many suppliers of seeds, pesticides, etc., even for many identical products (glyphosate in particular). If the definition of monopoly is "the exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service" then I am completely at a loss as to how that applies to Monsanto without discussing things at the patent level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

GlyphGryph posted:

The normal one, and it doesnt.

Then you might want to re-examine what it is you think you are arguing against.

• Locked thread