Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Gen. Ripper posted:

(Aside from Orange County, that place can die in hellfire.)

We aren't all bad, in fact, we had a lovely little rally at the courthouse yesterday in celebration. :3: http://lagunabeach.patch.com/groups/editors-picks/p/hundreds-celebrate-samesex-marriage-in-0c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

How many of those were UCI kids? It's like a blue bubble in what would otherwise be a red-leaning city.

I'm not a UCI kid myself so I don't actually know. All the people I recognize are either United Church of Christ or Unitarian Universalist people.

I know Orange County is tiny so it's easy to assume it's all poo poo. But even Orange County is mostly not shitheads, in a lot of areas. Generally the further you are from the ocean, the less terrible people are (but there are some major exceptions to that, both ways).

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

I think we can all agree that the California Burrito is an abomination to all nations, creeds, and religions, made only to appease whitebread OC bastards. (Seriously, fries in a burrito?)

That one is absofuckinglutely San Diego's fault.

quote:

Thankfully, Carne Asada Fries make up for it.

Agreed.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

All Of The Dicks posted:

Look at this poo poo. Why, yes, I would love some dry ground beef and cilantro on a corn tortilla the size of a quarter. That sounds loving fantastic. Give me a whole plate of them.

That's fine, more for me. That's not ground beef by the way.

I'm pretty entertained this thread went immediately to discussion of traffic and Mexican food. California in a nutshell.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Heh, if you think Santa Ana is dysfunctional you should see Long Beach.

Really? When i lived in Long Beach it seemed well-run. Then again I was using my Orange County, gently caress the poor experience to judge it. Care to elaborate?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Which area did you live in?

Long Beach is a funny city in the sense that there are some really nice areas, and then you walk two blocks and find yourself in the middle of the ghetto. It's similar to the Nob Hill -> Tenderloin transition in San Francisco. Besides that, the way the city is run is atrocious. There's the Port of Long Beach, which is the second largest port in the United States and one of the largest employers in the region. And they absolutely dominate city politics. We got air pollution out the wazoo. In the area I live in (and trying to move out of ASAP), it's so bad that the average life expectancy is a whopping 11 years lower than other parts of the city. On some days when I open the windows in my apartment I can literally smell ship fuel in the air. And of course, nothing is done about this, because "The Port provides jobs!"

I lived down near 2nd Street and then on Cherry north of the 405, so yeah in the very Orange County parts of town. I did teach at an elementary school in the lower income, cramped area that someone mentioned earlier, but I guess it wasn't close enough to the port to really hit home how awful things were. My main experience with local government was with the school district I guess, which I thought was pretty well-run for such a large and diverse area.

The air pollution was awful for sure though.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Disneyland isn't in Irvine.

No CSU either, unless you count the Irvine branch of CSUF...which you shouldn't.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

kittenkicker posted:

If you can rent in Costa Mesa, you might as well stay there. Decent nightlife, close to the beach, shouldn't be too expensive (from what I've heard). I also hear good things about Long Beach, as was mentioned above.

Yeah, I don't see the point of living in Long Beach just to commute to Costa Mesa. Costa Mesa is fine and the rent is probably roughly equal between the two cities. I would definitely not buy real estate in either place though.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

My Q-Face posted:

So how bad is rush hour? I've heard stories, and I've experienced the DC and Atlanta rush hours, are we talking 15mph for 30 miles?

I'm not trying to be all goony e/n ignore the advice, I just want to get an idea before I completely extinguish the idea of buying somewhere a little further away. Is Riverside county to OC just a really stupid idea?

If you're around right now, check out the traffic today: http://www.sigalert.com/Map.asp#lat=33.82077&lon=-117.80476&z=1 It's about 5 PM in California right now, so juuuust the beginning of our delightful rush hour. Check out that red line between Villa Park and Corona. That's you driving home.

I would say without paying for the toll lanes your commute from mid-Riverside to Costa Mesa would be average 2 hours plus. Of course, if you take classes outside of normal rush hours it would be a little better. Best would be going against traffic, like maybe you should just live in Costa Mesa and take classes at RCC if you really want to drive the 91.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I found the flaw in their reasoning:

quote:

Carlyle said Riverside grew 30.5 percent from 2000 to 2013, which pushed up its ranking. “We look at cities where population’s growing, as typically that’s indicative of a desirable area,” she said.

Inability to tell the difference between "I'm moving here because it's desirable" and "I'm moving because I can't afford my house in Irvine but I still work at an Irvine company."

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

What's the best way to drive up to Mammoth from Orange County / points south? Through LA or through Riverside?

Through Riverside I think. What does google say?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Believe me, we were looking at San Diego when we first moved, but my father in law made us an offer we couldn't refuse to stay close to the family.

So here I am with endless suburbs, and the best American Chinese food is at Panda Express.

Days later edit - I don't know why anyone puts up with Pizza Port's seating and ordering system.

What?! Peking Dragon in Dana Point is awesome American Chinese food.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Perhaps but you would presumably have to interact with people from Dana Point eventually.

Nah, all the tables are really far away from each other and the staff is very nice. I'm quite sure none of them actually live in Dana Point.

nm posted:

I was going to disagree for a second, but then realized the good mexican place in costa mesa (el toro bravo, highly recommended) is on the LA side of the 55.

Hell yeah that place is awesome

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

el dorito posted:

ask them if they've had in-n-out yet

make sure they have a copy of the list to give tourists

to be honest, besides those hellish freeways, I don't think I've ever hit any other item on that list

I may have driven through chatsworth once, however

Just looking at that list gives me nightmares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

You can actually get a house for under $300k in the IE; that is a literal impossibility in Orange County.

• Locked thread