Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

nm posted:

Depends. We have a somewhat higher than average income tax, but property taxes are probably the lowest in the nation unless some state doesn't have property tax. Prop 13 especially insures that anyone (or their family) who bought property in the 80s or earlier, pays almost no property tax. This applies to companies too. Property values can only be re-assessed up if the property is sold to a non family member. The best part is that if you sell a business that owns property, that property stays assessed at old values. Companies create corporations for the sole purpose of holding a single large property, then instead of selling the property they sell the holding company.
California tax is hosed up, and most of it can be linked to prop 13 and the huge holes it creates.

That said, we allegedly have a budget surplus this year. Many of the inland counties are still hosed though.
Fun fact: This is also why my fellow California 20/30 somethings are giving up on home buying in droves. Its also why you can see a 4 lane freeway full of poor bastards driving into the bay area on the 580 every morning from Tracy. Your choices are 1) make a poo poo load of money working in the bay but be unable or unwilling to spend 3/4 of a million on a decent 3 bedroom condo, 2) make regular money and spend 300k on a 4 bedroom tract home in Methdesto, or 3) make a poo poo load working in the bay and spend 300k on a 4 bedroom tract home in Methdesto (ok, Tracy), but 4-5 hours commuting to work as your soul dies a little bit each morning. 1800+ a month for a niceish 2 bedroom apartment in Mountain View lololol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Dusseldorf posted:

They're not idiots for perpetrating the best welfare scam in history.
Which welfare scam are you talking about? 10 million people in so-cal living off water from the rest of the state (and other states)?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

incoherent posted:

He's referring to the water-rights. Ya know, the thing chinatown is about.
I know, that was the joke :glomp:

Leperflesh posted:

I bought my house in concord in December 2009 for $240,800. Prices fell further after that, and recently have recovered, and I'm now probably in the black on this purchase but not by a lot. Point is, it's possible to buy a decent house a lot closer to San Francisco than loving Tracy for a lot less than half a mil. I live a ten minute walk from the BART station; my wife's commute into the city (embarcadero) is about 1 hour, including the time spent walking to the station and waiting for a train.
Concord is still pretty loving far away, especially if you are headed to a tech job in Palo Alto or Mountain View and BART won't work well. BART is great but its quite limited and the stations in the east bay are hit or miss (you might live a 10 minute walk from one or a PITA drive). And I was talking about the nice 4 bedroom/3 bathroom with a backyard American Dream home, which you won't find in Concord for under 350k (and which would be north of a million in that area).

Anyway, my point was not that you can't find ok housing on the outskirts of the bay area, but that many young workers (like myself) feel priced out of the market and are forced to make the choice of owning a home in Concord (no offense, but gently caress that) or renting a decent place at a high markup in San Mateo, Sunnyvale, Willow Glen, etc.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

A White Guy posted:

A few months ago, a recruiter came down from Humboldt State (at the very end of the app period, for some reason) to San Diego. I went because Humboldt is my dream school (ie, not back home in SoCal), and because I was accepted in February. The presentation was preceeding along fine with some absurdly cheery alumini leading it, when one of the male aluminis gets the mic, and one of the first thing that come out of his mouth is :

"You may think that Humboldt is the number one county in California for the production of marijuanna. You are wrong. That dubious distinction goes to San Bernadino county. Humboldt is a distant second."

My mother and I exchanged raised eyebrows, and the statement got a chuckle from the room.

I imagine my next two years are going to have much partaking of the Mary jane in my future. That's ok. Move in date is next Monday. :v:

I hope you like rain, outdoor sports/hiking and hate Costco!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

A White Guy posted:

That's ok. I'm a poster child for YLLS, so I think living in the cold (it hasn't gotten over sixty the whole week in Arcata) year round and hiking (I have my own gear :)) will help.
The Klamath Mountains are a really freaking awesome place to go backpacking/hiking with super varied terrain. The Big Bend section of the Pacific Coast Trail is there and its pretty great.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Northjayhawk posted:

No, don't build it. This is one of the few times where the Republicans are probably right. The bullet train, as currently planned, is really damned dumb and will be an expensive and miserable failure if completed.

I wish they would just spend those 68 billion dollars doing more useful transportation things. How about finally extending BART into the south bay and making it a complete loop?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Papercut posted:

Oh I completely agree. Building housing over parks or knocking down painted ladies and other Victorian and Edwardian architecture to build high-rise housing is such a joke of an idea that I have to think anyone suggesting it knows nothing about SF. The city's current direction of redeveloping old industrial districts makes a LOT more sense than getting angry about the 2- and 3-unit Edwardians that dominate the western portions of the city and are synonymous with the aesthetic of the city.
Besides, the Big One will take care of most of those old victorians :ohdear: In all seriousness, SF is an old city with a lot of old things - if you want to build new things, something has got to go. Of course, this is also the city in which the entire NW section (everything above the park) has no rail transport because BART and MUNI don't get along.

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh come on, the Nike sites are barely worse than a gas station. The park service actually has tenants in a surprising number of those building. If you want to talk about contamition in the Bay Area I'd look to Treasure Island, Hunter's Point, Richmond, the South Bay, anywhere in Bayview, etc. The presidio is a secret jewel of the nation, and the longer we can preserve it, the richer our heritage will be because of it. Few places outside of the 13 colonies can you see examples of every phase of American history within a few miles.

Plus, as long as we have massive undeveloped land on the bayside there's no need to remove green space for anything. Or just stabilized Treasure Island and build big stuff there (so long as we leave the Berlin Airport from Indiana Jones).
What do Treasure Island and Richmond have to do with anything? One is a small island in the middle of the bay and another is one of the worst ghettos around.

cheese fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 16, 2013

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

They both have histories of heavy contamination? Treasure Island by the Navy and Richmond by the shipyards and refineries. The extremely limited amount of contamination in the Presidio pales in comparison to the contamination in any of the other BRAC sites (Skragg island excluded).
What is your point? That we should develop Richmond instead of the Presidio because it has more contamination? I'm confused.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

:words: about cul-de-sac sprawl
Everything you said is spot on. Curved street/cul-de-sac tracts is like the poo poo icing on the poo poo cake of suburban sprawl. Not only are they bad for all of the reasons you listed, but they feel sort of...spooky. At any time other than the commute hours they feel like a ghost town - as if the zombie apoc just happened. You can drive around in them at 11am and you will see literally no-one. Frankly, its weird, and the total lack of any community feel must be further contributing to the political polarization of America.

I should add that the way they force businesses to congregate in shopping centers far from the homes also seems to ensure that mom and pop stores are as rare as unicorns. I dare you to find 3 stores that are not a chain within 5 miles of some of these homes.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

FCKGW posted:

It kinda makes sense when you realize that these are mainly bedroom communities though. I mean, most people want the big back yard with the pool to relax on the weekends, they want a quiet street so they can sleep in. They don't want to really go out and socialize with their neighbors because it's usually in the late evening when they get home anyways. The only shopping you do is the trip to Costco, Target and Trader Joes on the weekend anyways, and you can do all that shopping in a single location which many people prefer.

I like my house, I like my lawn, I like my pool. There's a bunch of parks around here I can take my kids to. The schools are great. I do talk to my neighbors but I think I'm the exception. I do wish the city had more culture but there's trade offs for everything.

And people wonder why there is no sense of community anymore. Wake up in your 4k sq foot bubble at 5am, drive 2 hours to work, leave work at 5pm, drive 2 hours home, make dinner for the kids, watch some netflix and go to bed. Ahhh yeah baby, that is the life! The American Dream!

Captain Frigate posted:

I'm shocked, shocked to hear that the real estate industry has no concern for sustainability, long term planning, or the welfare of the people it serves!

Its almost as if decades of comically generous corporate/wealthy tax rates and loopholes have forced states, and by extension counties, to desperately seek other streams of revenue to survive!

cheese fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 17, 2013

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

ProperGanderPusher posted:

It's also the only type of lifestyle that many people have ever known for generations now. The only thing that seems to be breaking up suburban living among some Americans (notably young and/or poor people) is that gas is becoming expensive as all hell. That's not a problem for richer suburbs like Eastvale, though, on top of the fact that it's a lot easier to raise kids in that kind of environment.
The other thing that has been breaking it up for the past 5+ years is that many of these families that relied on those double incomes lost one.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

agarjogger posted:

The National Association of Realtorstm and the 1.2 motherfucking million real estate agents it represents is without a doubt one of the most dangerous lobbying groups in the US, and without looking it up I'd be willing to bet they caused the financial crisis. Also I think the point of curvilinear streets is to protect residents from the sight of hundreds of identical houses, which would all be visible if the streets were straight. And you'd feel like you lived in a piece of fractal art. For the concept done well, see Riverside, IL. It's not expensive, developers just have to take a break from making GBS threads and pissing nonstop on every fundamental of community development they can isolate and wreck.

Suburban development in places like the midwest is fundamentally different than in more expensive areas of CA. People in the midwest expect big lots, with houses set far back and no one will accept living in a house where you can lean out of your second story window and touch the wall of the other house. Land is also, in general at least, much cheaper. I agree that those streets look much nicer to live on - they have actual trees and stuff! Correct me if I'm wrong but that area looks like it has been developed/lived in for much longer, while places like IE are super new.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

Sacramento is big enough to have lots of independent stuff still but...all this and it's easy to rip on it when you are a millenial, free trade coffee sipping hipster/trustafarian in skinny jeans, who owns a fixie and lives in the Mission or now Oakland uptown (since SF is even too expensive for the trusty's) in a 450 sq ft apt with no parking - but eventually life breaks you and by the time you are in your 40's you say gently caress it and sell your soul for a couple of covered loving parking spots and a patch of overwatered grass to stare at.

The only thing that keeps me sane is the fact that I am back in the bay area every week for work a couple days.

Sacramento is not as bad as the bay area or so cal. A nice house in midtown is actually relatively affordable as far as California's pay->cost of living ratio goes. You can get your 3 bedroom and 1.5 baths with a yard for less than you might think, all while living in a cool area with old trees, freeway access and a smattering of independent stores.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

The carpool lane is a strong, strong incentive for me to get a motorcycle. Jealous of those bastards as they fly along the 680.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

RIP CHEESE

During my old Cupertino to SF or Oak commutes (or reverse because god loving forbid my job stay in the same drat place) I saw enough horrible stuff to make me want to buy an actual military vehicle to commute in, including the weapons packages.
Interesting to note that the two most common serious accidents involving motorcycles (as multiple vehicle accidents go) are a car rear ending a motorcycle sitting at a stoplight and a car making a left turn in front of a motorcycle. Lane splitting is fine and as far as accidents go, at least both vehicles are moving in the same direction which makes the relative speed difference less than you might think - a rider has more time to react that if hes going 60mph on a 2 lane highway and a car turns in front of him.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

-Troika- posted:

The prison guard union is a poster child for why public sector unions should be illegal.
The corrections officer union is a poster child for a lot of things, but an example of why every public sector union should be illegal is not one of them.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

The only worthwhile part is when you're at a station and a bunch of out-of-towners or super insulated suburbanites are loudly freaking out about how expensive tickets are because they think trains are for poors.

But yeah, I hope the Giants eventually move to the south bay so I can ride my public transportation in peace (on top of drinking everybody's tears as an As fan).
I remember the first time I bought a Cal-Train day pass for 18 dollars, I almost lost my poo poo.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Dusseldorf posted:

I've never understood why northern California people don't see the hypocrisy in being huffy about southern California importing their residential water.
I guess some people see a distinction between taking water that was going to empty into the SF bay anyway and taking it into SF, and piping water across several hundred miles of fairly arid land to feed a city built more or less in a desert?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Protons posted:

Best state? Isn't it prohibitively difficult to get a concealed carry license in California?
In CA it is done by the county Sherrifs office. The difficulty ranges from "they will ask you if you are a bad dude and if you say no, rubber stamp a yes" to "NO ONE GETS A LICENSE" in some of the bay area and so cal counties. There is actually a website that tracks acceptance rates and in a lot of the far north and central valley counties, its upwards of 90% approval.

VikingofRock posted:

I've never understood why the people of Santa Cruz are so against the plans to build a desalinization plant. It's safe and necessary, and yet plans to pursue it were dropped this week because people were so against it.
Santa Cruz is actually an awful place. Its 1/3 UC students from so cal that the locals hate, 1/3 hippies, hipsters and bay area transplants that the locals hate, and 1/3 locals (who are actually probably transplants themselves) who hate how touristy and popular Santa Cruz has become, and how dependent the city is on the students. It is a bitch to get with the 17 having crazy traffic during long parts of the day and I'm not sure why everyone loves it so much.

cheese fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 25, 2013

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I may have just posted that link as a comment on the pro-gun rights comments of a variety of facebook friends.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Americans have been taught to hate public transportation because a car equals success and freedom. Public transit is for poors and dirty European socialists. As such, even in relative liberal havens like the SF bay area (which is still lousy with people from all walks of life who have drunk deeply of the "cars good, trains and buses are for poors" koolaid their whole lives), mass transit faces a huge uphill battle. It also does not help that SF is California, a state whose economy at last count was the 12th largest in the world, has a completely self inflicted and perpetual budget crisis.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

In terms of grime, how does the BART compare to the Paris metro? Because the sights and smells there made the LA system seem pristine as a daisy to me.
Its not actually that bad. I've ridden in a number of big US city light rails (NY, DC, SF, etc) and its comparable. DC's Metro was by far the cleanest, but it also had a ridiculous number of cops all around it for probably the same reason: its in the Capitol.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Dusseldorf posted:

FYI, this is the number one misconception about widening roads. The bigger road will generate it's own traffic by spurring development and causing people to reevaluate their mode of commuting.
Freeways reach a critical mass of lanes where additional lanes seem to do nothing more than encourage more people to use that freeway for their commute. I think you could probably make the 580 10x lanes each way and you would still have gridlock going eastbound at 5pm.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Also, Chicago isn't in the top three. Granted, I've never been over there, but I hear people from around here in San Francisco rave all the time about how it's second only to New York.
I remember Chicago mass transit as being good at getting you from the far out burbs into the actual heart of Chicago, but not all that great for getting you around downtown Chicago. Its worth noting that when it comes to public transit, there is more than one goal. A system can be good at getting you from the boonies into the urban area (for example, I think BART/Caltrain is excellent at getting you from the south/east bay into SF itself), at getting around in the urban area, at moving huge numbers of raw people by sticking to the key locations, at providing effective service for commuters, at providing effective service for tourists, etc. A system might be slow but have many, many stops and exists, or very fast but skip a lot of places to focus on the hot spots.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

If you're including "within driving radius" sure, but there are vast sections of suburban terribleness that peaks at chipotle especially in the blandest parts of the bay.
The entire bay area is located squarely in the burrito zone so I don't know what you are talking about. Honestly, maybe 10 years ago I could see this argument being legit but even Jose's Taco Street Corner Cart has a yelp page now. Once or twice I've been deepest depths of East Bay White Suburbia (I'm looking at you Walnut Creek) and even there, its a matter of "Do you want to spend 15 minutes driving to Concord or just eat at something close and good, but not a taqueria".

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

SirPablo posted:

Oh look, another loving food argument in the California thread :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, Moonbeam signed the minimum wage bill today. Goes from $8/hr now to $9/hr next summer and $10/hr in 2016. I mean, that is nice, but $10/hr would be great now. My wife works in a school as an aide (working directly with the kids in the classroom) and she barely makes much more than that ($11/hr).
Meanwhile, even 10 dollars an hour (at your 35 hour a week job because no one gives full time benefits to low wage hourly employees but a handful of companies) remains a painfully low wage in the bay area/so cal. I've lived on that and its god drat miserable.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Midtown in Sacramento is an awesome place to live. Screw the haters. You can get a 3 bedroom/2 bath craftsman in great condition there for what a 1 bedroom in San Jose would go for. Plenty of restaurants and bars nearby, microbreweries and local bands, etc. Its really walkable and even has some public transit (gasp). I can be in Tahoe in 2 hours one direction, San Francisco 2 hours in the other and wine tasting in one of the worlds premier regions in half that time (ok, 1:30 to Sonoma).

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

teh_Broseph posted:

'Preciate the feedback y'all.

Cool; that's the general plan for tomorrow, wandering round downtown and boozing up. gently caress suburbs of any city forever. Not expecting big wow stuff necessarily, just whatever would be cool and a preview of livin here. A couple of the Marsalises are playing this weekend at least, which is awesome.

My knee jerk so far is to lean the wife towards our other options and come back in a couple years when we'll be set up better for living in San Diego. Eh, we'll give it a fair shake though.
To live in San Diego, I would have to 1) REALLY love the beach and 2) have stacks of money/be willing to live in a crappy place. I think its one of the most overrated cities out there. My sister lives there and I'm always amused at how many people seem to think San Diego is close to LA. You could go from Sacramento to San Francisco and eat a burrito in the Mission, and the guy who left San Diego would still be stuck in LA traffic.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Xaris posted:

Davis owns and I won't hear anything contrary. :colbert: I probably would have still been living there if I could have found a job there or in Sac

I also have a soft spot for Sacramento, if it had better weather it'd be a pretty drat decent place to live for the cost
Went to UC Davis and can confirm that Davis does in fact own :)

Chinatown posted:

A Coastal Southern California City that isn't Western Los Angeles.
I think you will find the real Coast Southern California City you are looking for is Santa Barbara :smug:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Jesus. He doesn't even chew.

That can't be good for you.
I assume all of these eating contest people give a few victory pumps when its over and then promptly throw it all up?

Ron Jeremy posted:

Driving is fine, finding a parking space sucks
I swear to god, my friends apartment in The Richmond has gotten harder to park near every year for the past 8+ years. Also, burrito chat is a mirage because there is a strong relationship between how good a burrito tastes and how hungry/desperate for it you are.

The Butte fire is now approximately 4 miles north of my Aunt and Uncles house north of Murphys and approaching :ohdear:

cheese fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 16, 2015

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Sacramento is great if you have the money to be in midtown or just east of midtown. You can still find recently remodeled old houses just east of midtown for under 400k.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Herr Tog posted:

IS there loving anything of note in Hayward? Hikes? Restaurant? festival or what not?
Not really, but then you are pretty close to Oakland/Berkeley, and the city isn't much further.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

birds posted:

Going home next month and want to spend a couple days at Yosemite. Coming up from Orange County, are there any good places to stay near the park for relatively cheap? The place I stayed last time was a mediocre hotel in Oakhurst that is going for $260 a night right now.
You are pretty hosed bro. On top of having to make reservations really far in advance, the insanely wet winter we have had has done a number on the park (the Hwy 120 entrance is currently closed). Later in the season, the go to spot is Tuolumne Meadows. Best of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

el dorito posted:

wanna make a california themed 8-ball, where the question is “is california on fire” and all the answers are a definitive yes

• yup
  • uh-huh
  • gnarly
  • unrighteous
  • bogus
  • like, what do you think
  • again?

*hella

• Locked thread