Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
BART is also real dirty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I've never been on a metro system besides BART where literally every single train car reeks on urine all the time. DC is nice. LA Metro is pretty clean. NYC MTA and CTA are old and grungy but not overwhelmingly gross. All the European systems I've spent significant time on are relatively clean.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 26, 2013

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I mean I like living in the Bay Area and the transit is much more extensive than my years of taking LA public transit but I've had a host of problems with BART, MUNI and AC Transit which really are not present in other systems.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

We will never know if, had Marin refused to pull out, that extension would have actually gotten built. loving around with the golden gate bridge would have been politically very difficult, and running BART through the marin headlands would have been really expensive too. And a lot of Marin-ites were against BART, out of fear that it would spawn suburban sprawl.

Now Marin is getting the SMART which will ferry people from Santa Rosa to not quite the San Rafael ferry terminal.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Xaris posted:

Especially once all the 101 widening is finished and traffic no longer becomes (as much) of an issue.

FYI, this is the number one misconception about widening roads. The bigger road will generate it's own traffic by spurring development and causing people to reevaluate their mode of commuting.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

withak posted:

Maybe Sonoma County.

There's a big geothermal plant near Geyserville. There's also one near Mammoth.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Seattle has an embarrassing public transit system and horrendous traffic to match.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dahbadu posted:

If I remember correctly, riding the light rail there is basically an honor system. You could theoretically get on without purchasing a ticket.

Just a point on this. Light rail without turnstiles is absolutely not the honor system. LA does it this way and you'll get a very big fine if they check for tickets and you don't have one.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

Denver and Munich also do it this way too with the honor system with ticket buying.

I guess it cuts down on crowd logjams at the busier stations but on the hand I'm sure they lose lots of revenue this year.

In LA the fine for riding without a ticket is ~100$. I paid 38$ a month for a monthly transit pass and got checked for tickets about twice a month. Going without a ticket isn't economical at all.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

nm posted:

With loving humidity.

My apartment's AC blower motor died on Labor Day, and it didn't get fixed until 6PM on Wednesday. Worst 3 days ever.

That's when you go bowling all day every day. I did this for a whole summer in Chicago without AC.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Edit: I won't propagate foodchat.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

This reminds me of when Hollywood attempted to secede from Los Angeles*

*(they would require use of LA's municipal services for at least 10 years if it were successful).

West Hollywood did in 1984.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

computer parts posted:

Don't call it that.

I mean I'd rather not refer to it at all but I really don't care what the name the locals prefer.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
What's wrong with "The Sierras"?

Edit: Southland.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I can understanding Bay Area people insulting LA but I don't get how they do it like their poo poo don't stink.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

hepscat posted:

It all goes back to LA stealing the water back in the 70's when people in SF were suffering by sharing showers and saving the dirty bits to water their plants afterward.

No seriously, people really did that poo poo. Meanwhile, I spent the 70's growing up near the 405 and I remember playing in the sprinklers like a water-wasting boss.

I mean LA steals water, but not from the same places from where the bay area steals water.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
At least like 40% of LA's water is local versus essentially 0% in the Bay Area.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I've always wondered about the efficiency of evaporation from the San Joaquin. For every gallon of water evaporated in a field in, lets say, Merced how much of that gets re-precipitated in the Sierras is a manner that it can be recaptured. I assume with a significant amount of water diverted from the Sacramento into agriculture that there is a significant increase of rainfall to in the mountains. I guess the question would be if the efficiency of recapture was on order of 1%, 10% or 70%?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

The San Francisco Bay is watered by both the Sacramento and the San Joaquin Rivers. The California Aqueduct takes water from these two rivers and transports it to southern california. It's ludicrous to take water directly from the Bay Area's rivers and then complain that essentially 0% of the bay area's water is sourced locally.

By far most of LAs water is local, from the Owens Valley or from the Colorado. The California Aquaduct serves the southern San Joaquin far more than the LA basin.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pook Good Mook posted:

We must have strawberries for less than $2 a pound!

I like how we even work to get farms in the Imperial Valley to be profitable. It gets about as much rainfall as the Mojave.

It's absurd how the water is diverted and who pays for it but the Imperial Valley has the most productive per acre farmland in the US.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

withak posted:

Neither of those are local to LA. Closer than the delta maybe, but not local.

Only about 40% is local. The Owens Valley and the Colorado are the majority of the non-local sources.

predicto posted:

Wait, what? The Delta is right here. That's where the water was supposed to go originally.

Then why does the Bay Area pump all it's drinking water across the state.

Also last time I checked the Bay was pretty saline.

All I'm saying the there is a major cognitive dissidence in the north on the disconnect of the degree that the area is reliant on large water projects versus the south.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 10, 2013

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

withak posted:

It's a lot cleaner to collect it farther upstream before the Sacramento area dumps all their sewage into it, and easier to store it in the mountains where reservoirs are easier to build.

So what you're saying is the Bay Area has to steal water from across the state because there aren't any acceptable local clean water sources.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The thing I like about LA is that there is not qualms in the historical consciousness about the artificial creation. Maybe I'm just jaded living in Berkeley.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
There's a good discussion on this in Los Angeles Plays Itself on how movies like Chinatown, although myth, have become quasi-historical fact in Los Angeles. I'll try to find where it's queued up but you should watch the whole thing anyway because it's a great essay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATvOyAdrDB0

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 11, 2013

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Can't forget Michael J. Beverage and Arthur C. Korn in everyone's favorite California water district.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FRINGE posted:

Berkeley by itself out-foods most of LA.

No it doesn't.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The Inland Empire is pretty but all of California is pretty. Even Bakersfield, sometimes.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

Where do the towns north of slo on 101 fit in? Atascadero and paso Robles seemed pretty redneck to me. Do they belong to the valley?

Paso Robles has the nicest wine country in California.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Speaking of which, Monterey Bay Aquarium (which everyone should try to see some time in their life) publishes Seafood Watch, a regularly-updated site that helps consumers pick sustainable choices when buying seafood. They also print little wallet-sized foldout references, which makes it easier to just pull something out when you're at the grocery store or restaurant if you can't remember whether swordfish is on the bad list or the good list (it's on the bad list).

I'm really happy Dungeness Crab is on the good list because that poo poo is delicious.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grand Prize Winner posted:

For someone from the LA area, what does the Tenderloin most closely compare to? Gardena? Lawndale? Compton?

Hollywood near Mann's.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

EnsGDT posted:

I like Alhambra but I also like asian food and bubble tea so

It also has Santa Anita which puts it ahead of 70% of California jurisdictions already.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

erobadapazzi posted:

Which is in Arcadia? I agree, though, that I love Chinese food and, thus, like Alhambra.

Ah yeah, whoops, well Alhambra has the Fosselmans.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Doesn't Sacramento has lovely levies or something that will fall apart and destroy the whole city if there's an earthquake? That seems pretty cool. Living on the edge et cetera.

They never built the Auburn Dam which would have been a sword of Damocles ready to kill a million people but there are a number of other dams in the mountains that if they broke could put most of the city under 20 feet of water.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Really though the break down these days between USC and UCLA is generally speaking USC has better professional programs and UCLA has better arts and sciences (although both schools have good programs across the board). USC is the more selective school these days but that's probably because they can play private school games to tweak admissions. Both schools are full of twerps and with tuition these days only rich kids go to either school. UCLA is in Westwood which is kind of nice and probably the least convenient place to travel to or from in the while United States (not joking at all). USC is south of downtown in a less nice neighborhood. It's probably not more dangerous than most of the east side, it's just not an interesting neighborhood like Koreatown or Hollywood.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Pretty much any Mexican grocery should have a heap of it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

appropriatemetaphor posted:

It might vary from location to location, because i had an umami burger in pasadena and it was AMAZING, then had one in the arts district and it was pretty meh.

Umami is funny because the La Brea and Hollywood locations are great but the Los Feliz and Santa Monica are consistently terrible. I'm not sure how their management works.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

KoB posted:

It depends on what sort of site you want. (or if you want a proper campsite at all).

Those cabins that were (are?) full of hanta virus you can grab not too far in advance.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also Amazon Lockers exist in San Francisco and you can order something to them and pick it up if you're going to be in town long enough.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Glass of Milk posted:

I've given my wife the reins for a vacation and she wants to go lie on a beach somewhere. I'm coming from San Diego, which would seem to be an excellent candidate, but she wants to go lie on some other beach. I was thinking maybe Catalina for a long weekend (3 days). It'll just be us, no kid. Is Catalina cool? It seems like a place for 50 year olds to go to walk around in breezy loungewear, but maybe I have the wrong impression of the place

I wouldn't go to Catalina to chill out on the beach but there's great hiking and snorkeling around there. It's a beautiful island and totally worth a visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeqRaS6YrcU

• Locked thread