Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
There's a good discussion on this in Los Angeles Plays Itself on how movies like Chinatown, although myth, have become quasi-historical fact in Los Angeles. I'll try to find where it's queued up but you should watch the whole thing anyway because it's a great essay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATvOyAdrDB0

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Lady Dank posted:

As someone who lives in Arcata and commutes to Folsom to visit my family occasionally, SF/Sac does not feel at -all- like NorCal. Norcal to me is hippies and rednecks and mountains and constant, constant rain. A friend of mine once referred to the Bay Area as "CentralCal" and I have to agree.

Hey, as someone from Arcata, what do you think about Eureka and that whole region? I once went up there to see the redwoods and stayed in Eureka for a night, and driving through the area, I found it to be rather impoverished and depressing, although I liked the constant cool foggy weather. Did I just happen to go through the bad parts, or is it like that in most areas?

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.

DrSunshine posted:

Hey, as someone from Arcata, what do you think about Eureka and that whole region? I once went up there to see the redwoods and stayed in Eureka for a night, and driving through the area, I found it to be rather impoverished and depressing, although I liked the constant cool foggy weather. Did I just happen to go through the bad parts, or is it like that in most areas?

I think Eureka's a bit of a dive. I mostly go there for more variety in shopping (Arcata has banned chain businesses which means higher prices on basic goods). If you were to live in the northern part of the city it's probably pretty nice. This area in general seems to be more swamped with the homeless than Portland, so you aren't imagining it to be impoverished and depressing.

I really don't think the drive through town via 101 does any favors to Eureka. Old Town is lovely and has nice places to live but you wouldn't ever know if you just stayed on 101. You just happened to go through a rough part of the town in the county with the most poverty.

If you make your way back up, i'd check out some of the local food culture in Eureka and Arcata, some lovely coastline and outdoorsy stuff in Trinidad, and some lovely victorians in Ferndale. As much as the poverty and constant rain can get to some, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. People here are exceptionally friendly and accepting of others, and the county is very much more Pacific Northwest than California.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Leperflesh posted:

Note that this is just the South Bay and peninsula. North and East bay has additional local water systems.

Not all of South Bay. Here in Sunnyvale I'm less than 1/4 mile from Hetch Hetchy water, but instead get stuck with crap water from the delta pumped down to the San Luis Reservoir that won't even be fluoridated until 2018. Santa Clara Valley Water District! :argh:

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 11, 2013

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Can't forget Michael J. Beverage and Arthur C. Korn in everyone's favorite California water district.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Leperflesh posted:

Is it true your cops are all corrupt racists?
If you replace "all" with "almost all" ... yes.

WampaLord posted:

No, but I would argue it's just as good. I'm heading up to SF in a couple weeks so maybe I'll reevaluate after that visit.
Berkeley by itself out-foods most of LA.

Leperflesh posted:

Disneyland actually sucks
This thread is getting heavy with Truths. Many years ago I was there late enough to get an idea of the many of tons of trash strewn about daily for the capitalist mouseshow. That was literally the beginning of my thinking about trash and how much poo poo mind-less people can produce. :( (Its like 100,000 pounds per day or something.)

withak posted:

Due to the standard northern California diet our poo poo, in fact, does not stink.
:iceburn:

Kenning posted:

Also the tap water is loving delicious.
The farther north you go, the farther from LA you get, the more true this is. Oregon and Washington made me finally understand how people defend tap water.

FMguru posted:

Why bother spending money on efficiency when your water costs are subsidized
Not just that, but a bunch of politically connected people are trading water for piles of gold.

Of course that piece of trash Fienstein is involved.

http://www.c-win.org/gaming-california-water-system.html
http://www.alternet.org/story/144020/how_limousine_liberals%2C_water_oligarchs_and_even_sean_hannity_are_hijacking_our_water_supply
http://ecowatch.com/2012/03/01/house-passes-california-water-grab-bill/

quote:

A seven-year drought ending in the early 1990s pitted Southern California water contractors, such as the Metropolitan Water District, against agricultural contractors, such as the Kern County Water Agency. Each region made its case to the state, telling why it deserved to receive the water guaranteed by long-standing contracts. In the drought's worst years, urban users got 30% of the draw, while Kern farmers received less than 5%.

In 1994, agricultural and urban interests threatened to sue the state for nondelivery. The main parties gathered in a closed-door meeting in Monterey to hash out a settlement. Public interest groups, environmentalists and smaller water contractors -- locked out of the meeting -- cried foul.

When it was over, the very flow of California water had been redirected.

Redirected, as in "privatized."

But their $73-million water deal shows that farm subsidies aren't the only, or even the most, lucrative handout that has the Vidoviches living well. The money paid out via farm subsidies pale in comparison to the massive profits that can be reaped from simply reselling the heavily taxpayer subsidized water they receive from the state.

According one state water official, the Vidovich's $5,200 per acre-foot deal with the Mojave Water Agency was nearly double previous record price paid for water in California.

Just look at these profit margins: these days, Central Valley farmers buy water from California's Department of Water Resources for a heavily-subsidized $100 to $500 per acre-foot, while city slickers in San Francisco pay around $8,500 for the same water. With this kind of discount, Vidoviches could score a ten- to fifty-fold spread on their purchase-to-sale price. Even if they paid the maximum price of $500 per acre-foot, the water they sold to the Mojave Desert for $73 million would have only cost them $7 million. That's $66 million in pure profit, and all they have to do is let a couple of hundred acres of almond groves wither and let California taxpayers, their ritzy Los Altos Hills neighbors included, fill up their bank accounts.

Shocking as this textbook example of transfer of wealth is, it is neither an isolated incident nor a freak loophole. It was the intended effect of the deregulation and privatization of water hashed in Monterey almost 15 years ago, which transformed water into a truly liquid asset that could be traded with ease on the market. (In 2002, the Sacramento Bee estimated that members of the Kern County Water Bank made at least $128 million from water sales to other cities and counties, which the paper admitted was an incomplete and low-ball figure.)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FRINGE posted:

Berkeley by itself out-foods most of LA.

No it doesn't.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Dusseldorf posted:

No it doesn't.

You haven't lived until you've eaten sketchy kebab from of a converted-shopping cart grill. :iheartla:

The chromium really gives it a zing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dusseldorf posted:

No it doesn't.

I can attest to this, having lived in Berkeley most of my life! There's a number of pretty decent places, a whole lot of really bland/expensive places, and a bunch of just in-between places. Usually you can get better food cheaper in Oakland and various other places in the East Bay near Berkeley.

Just sort of, like, the East Bay in general is a pretty awesome place for food, though.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

predicto posted:

Why would anyone stand in line for an hour and a half? Fast Pass for the win. You learn how to work the Fast Pass system and you never wait more than a few minutes for anything.

plus, one of the best things about Star Tours is the line. There is a ton to see just standing in that queue.

Or you can just single ride pass and do all the big ticket rights in an afternoon :ssh: Not good for little kids though, you and your group has to be ok with being split up to fill in empty seats, but it beats the line up.

I like the bay area so far, lots to see and do, the air is cleaner. I refuse to take part in the insanity of rental housing in SF and wound up renting a house in Novato, my commute is 35 minutes but I got room for vistors, a back yard and a place to work on my car.

I got another buddy who is getting displaced from LA due to the lack of film work, so chances are hes going to crash with me until my lease is up then we'll probably get something a bit closer in the Mill Valley/Sausilito area.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 11, 2013

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
That ice cream sandwich place on Telegraph is pretty good. Pls don't ban for LAN.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Big K of Justice posted:

I like the bay area so far, lots to see and do, the air is cleaner. I refuse to take part in the insanity of rental housing in SF and wound up renting a house in Novato, my commute is 35 minutes but I got room for vistors, a back yard and a place to work on my car.
Moving to Marin county for cheap real estate. The bay area sure is hosed up real estate wise these days.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Sorry, Disneyland owns. If you're too loving jaded and cynical not to get a sort of second hand excitement out of everyone else there, you may as well start tying the noose 'cause that poo poo is gonna be inevitable.

I mean yeah, Disneyland kinda sucks if you're just forlornly wandering through it alone, but why would you ever do that?

For pure adrenaline, ok, Six Flags is better. And I personally like Knotts way more then Disneyland as an amusement park. But Disneyland is Disneyland. The name, the place, all of it carries a sort of weight. People move across oceans to visit it - they take pictures of just random buildings, come on, man.

As someone who has lived in SF and SoCal, you only call SF "the city" when you actually live there because you are referring to the actual city, not as some loving monolithic cultural icon, and both SF and LA are terrible, except LA accepts it and SF constantly tries to pretend otherwise. Both cities are also absolutely wonderful if you can get into them and what they have to offer.

I've had plenty of enjoyable food in both cities.

Oh, and it's THE 101.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

agarjogger posted:

That ice cream sandwich place on Telegraph is pretty good. Pls don't ban for LAN.

Assuming you're talking about Cream, yeah they were pretty good (though I'm convinced that most of the popularity comes from their being open at staggering-back-drunk-o'clock.) I graduated two years ago, but I heard some secondhand stuff from friends about drama involving price gouging and anticompetitive practices? It was a little weird hearing an undergrad bitch out an ice cream shop instead of, I dunno, Monsanto or Apple, but there was an impressive amount of vitriol.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Reiterpallasch posted:

Assuming you're talking about Cream, yeah they were pretty good (though I'm convinced that most of the popularity comes from their being open at staggering-back-drunk-o'clock.) I graduated two years ago, but I heard some secondhand stuff from friends about drama involving price gouging and anticompetitive practices? It was a little weird hearing an undergrad bitch out an ice cream shop instead of, I dunno, Monsanto or Apple, but there was an impressive amount of vitriol.

Basically if I remember correctly, Rasputin's next door wanted to start selling food and ice cream and Cream used every trick in the Berkeley city code to try and stop it. I think eventually Rasputin's got to sell food but Cream shut down them doing out of a window.

Yeah here it is: http://www.berkeleyside.com/2013/07/03/berkeley-rasputin-to-sell-organic-ice-cream-on-telegraph/

The irony of Cream complaining about lines on the street.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
The gently caress? Is this just how business is done everywhere? If effort is better spent harassing competitors and abusing ADA legislation, by all means make a day of it? Or are small business owners just acutely reactionary, and believe God granted their forefathers two glass windows, an industrial freezer, and a cash register? Those who trespass on your divine right to scoop have what's coming to them.

Reagan really did a number on this place, clearly.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Anyone that thinks water is basically free for farmers is delusional. But, no drought problems here! Also would like to add that 2013 is probably going to close out as the driest year on record and the 2013-2014 water year has started out loving terrible (but still has time to turn around).

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I will say that Oakland is super litigious. There was an uneven stoop at a bar and my girlfriend fell. Instead of getting her ice or anything, they told her to stay put. So she did. Then the owner came, woken from bed, to yell at her and threaten to call an ambulance unless she would promise not to sue. It's one of those things that backfires in the dumbest ways. I mean, if they had given her an ice-pack we wouldn't have given a poo poo. Now we are talking to lawyers. We have signed witnesses and poo poo. The only defense the bar has is that she was drunk but even if that were the case, bars are legally obligated not to over serve.

It is probably not going to go anywhere but we wouldn't have gone anywhere near this kind of thing if they hadn't been complete and utter assholes.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

both SF and LA are terrible, except LA accepts it and SF constantly tries to pretend otherwise.

I'd love to know where the cities you know of that qualify as not-terrible are.

I've been told by a great number of people who have lived all over the States that SF is basically as good as it gets. It sure beats the poo poo out of where I've lived before (Spokane and the Olympic Peninsula in WA, both with no car). Yes, it has become retardedly expensive and it could easily be better if those in charge gave a single gently caress about non-rich people, but in terms of things to do, architectural beauty, and the ease of moving throughout the city, how can it be beat?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I've been told by a great number of people who have lived all over the States that SF is basically as good as it gets. It sure beats the poo poo out of where I've lived before (Spokane and the Olympic Peninsula in WA, both with no car). Yes, it has become retardedly expensive and it could easily be better if those in charge gave a single gently caress about non-rich people, but in terms of things to do, architectural beauty, and the ease of moving throughout the city, how can it be beat?

San Francisco is an absolutely wonderful city that you can't actually live in. Which in turn makes it kinda terrible.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Shbobdb posted:

I will say that Oakland is super litigious.
Oakland also has the fake-est of fake streetsweeping tickets to raise revenue for their army of murdercops or whatever. They also like wrapping the 3-times-a-week tickets around the midnight marker so it confuses everyone.

(They are fake-est because I was curious and waited one night/morning when I was first there and got zapped by one of the flock of ticket-makers. SURPRISE! There are hoards of currency-collectors but no actual street sweepers. Good thing they faithfully write 70+ dollar tickets 3 nights a week in neighborhoods with no parking.)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I live in El Cerrito and I can say that it's one of the best cities I've ever lived in! It's not much to see if you don't stop while driving on San Pablo Ave but it's actually quite progressive in terms of the Green movement, low crime, diverse population, the hills and woods are super duper close to everything, and the rental/property prices are so much cheaper than Berkeley, despite being just a hop, skip, and a jump over.

Well, there's the problem that there's not really much to do here besides enjoy the natural areas, since the whole city is pretty much a suburb of Berkeley, but that's fine because all the other stuff is so close.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Leperflesh posted:

Also the last time I went to Disneyland, Star Tours was new (it'd been there for like a year or two I guess) and we stood in line for like 90 minutes and that was cool with C3PO and everything in the line, and then it turned out you just sat in a chair in a box that tilted from side to side while watching a movie. gently caress, disappointing doesn't even begin to cover it.

Hilarious. When I went on Star Tours, it was the fall after X-Wing came out, so I'd basically spent hours over the summer doing just that, but without the moving chair. I thought it was awesome at the time. Rose colored glasses though, it was original Star Wars FX footage and I was a huge SW nerd back then. And also, it was the first time I saw one of those VR/fake coasters that you can find in dozens of malls these days.

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator

Pervis posted:

(Not to mention places like Folsom, where the dam and lake is not designed to a single lake system, and nearly overtopped a couple years back. It's supposed to be part of a two dam system but the 2nd one was killed by environmentalists back in the 70's and the folsom dam wasn't adjusted to deal with the really wet years)

It is part of a 2 dam system, with Numbus dam and lake Natoma, but they are way too small. And if by "killed by environmentalists" you mean "Hey, let's NOT build a dam on a fault line in Auburn", then yeah.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

As the only Inland Empire supporter around here it can be quite beautiful.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh, sure, if you decorate it with elephants. What place wouldn't be quite beautiful, once it's been strewn with majestic pachyderms?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Having lived in the IE for 5 years, I would say that this picture is much, MUCH more representative of it:

Baldy is cool, though.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Leperflesh posted:

Oh, sure, if you decorate it with elephants. What place wouldn't be quite beautiful, once it's been strewn with majestic pachyderms?

Are we counting massively overweight people?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The Inland Empire is pretty but all of California is pretty. Even Bakersfield, sometimes.

brokowski
May 13, 2013

Lady Dank posted:

I think Eureka's a bit of a dive. I mostly go there for more variety in shopping (Arcata has banned chain businesses which means higher prices on basic goods). If you were to live in the northern part of the city it's probably pretty nice. This area in general seems to be more swamped with the homeless than Portland, so you aren't imagining it to be impoverished and depressing.

I really don't think the drive through town via 101 does any favors to Eureka. Old Town is lovely and has nice places to live but you wouldn't ever know if you just stayed on 101. You just happened to go through a rough part of the town in the county with the most poverty.

If you make your way back up, i'd check out some of the local food culture in Eureka and Arcata, some lovely coastline and outdoorsy stuff in Trinidad, and some lovely victorians in Ferndale. As much as the poverty and constant rain can get to some, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. People here are exceptionally friendly and accepting of others, and the county is very much more Pacific Northwest than California.

Eureka is one of the weirdest places, It has some of the coolest neighborhoods/people in the state/country and some of the absolute worst. Arcata is ok and kind of boring, but Eureka never fails to blow my mind one way or the other.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

Are we counting massively overweight people?

Are they majestic?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

I live in El Cerrito and I can say that it's one of the best cities I've ever lived in! It's not much to see if you don't stop while driving on San Pablo Ave but it's actually quite progressive in terms of the Green movement, low crime, diverse population, the hills and woods are super duper close to everything, and the rental/property prices are so much cheaper than Berkeley, despite being just a hop, skip, and a jump over.

Well, there's the problem that there's not really much to do here besides enjoy the natural areas, since the whole city is pretty much a suburb of Berkeley, but that's fine because all the other stuff is so close.

Yeah, but you're not arguing El Cerrito is a better city than San Francisco are you?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, but you're not arguing El Cerrito is a better city than San Francisco are you?

In addition, would El Cerrito be nearly as good if it wasn't so close to SF/Berkeley/Oakland?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

No of course not, but it's not terrible.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

agarjogger posted:

There are enough hobbyists in the decent states to nickel and dime their gun laws to death if they so choose. They'll find many way-too-willing allies from the national culture wars. Better to suffer minor inconvenience and keep the statehouse clear for poo poo that matters.

Nobody is trying to pass pro-gun laws in Sacramento, that would be such a futile undertaking, and there's nothing wrong with court challenges to stupid laws that accomplish literally nothing except inconvenience people.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Col. Mustard posted:

It is part of a 2 dam system, with Numbus dam and lake Natoma, but they are way too small. And if by "killed by environmentalists" you mean "Hey, let's NOT build a dam on a fault line in Auburn", then yeah.

Also we are in the process of building an auxiliary spillway at Folsom so in a few years it will be able to handle a far larger flood.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

As an SF native, someone who says "Frisco" is clearly just visiting from out of town.

I'm an SF native too, and there are plenty of SF residents and natives who say "Frisco". It's mostly working class people and rappers/hop-hop fans who say it. And gangsters and Hells Angels. I've noticed that wealthy people, older people, tourists, and transplants are more likely to dislike the name "Frisco" and assume only clueless visitors say it. People who have little contact with SF's lower classes often aren't aware of it's use, I guess.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 12, 2013

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

FCKGW posted:

Once you get Inland enough it acquires a kind of alien desolate beauty common to deserts, but getting there requires driving through rather a lot of sprawl.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

StandardVC10 posted:

Once you get Inland enough it acquires a kind of alien desolate beauty common to deserts, but getting there requires driving through rather a lot of sprawl.

It is actually right now, with little pollution, some snow on the mountains, and some clouds, even San Bernardino city looks pretty nice as long as you don't look down. We get a few weeks of that a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

nm posted:

It is actually right now, with little pollution, some snow on the mountains, and some clouds, even San Bernardino city looks pretty nice as long as you don't look down. We get a few weeks of that a year.

Actually I was at March Field Air Museum (I am a nerd, you see) two weeks ago and it was just lovely.

I've been to this museum in July and in November and let me tell you that if you have the choice, you want to visit in November.

• Locked thread