Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

SHAAAAAAFT :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Redcrimson posted:

Don't worry, even the master of harems can't overcome their homolust.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Not you too Kaga!

Space Flower posted:

Don't worry, even the master of harems can't overcome their homolust.

I would be more worried about Chiri.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
I recognize the outer four from Madoka, but who are the inner four silhouettes supposed to be?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Zetsubou Sensei girls?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Harettazetta posted:

I recognize the outer four from Madoka, but who are the inner four silhouettes supposed to be?

Besides the Kaga Ai ("I'm sorry!" girl from SZS) ponytail none of the inner four stand out to me. The one on the left especially eludes me because such a distinctive hair style should ring bells.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
So... this was just a long prologue for the rest of the season? Felt like it just set up the question and nothing else.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Clarste posted:

So... this was just a long prologue for the rest of the season? Felt like it just set up the question and nothing else.

This. There were a few decent moments but maaaaan did that feel like it had at least an hours worth of padding.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Space Flower posted:

Besides the Kaga Ai ("I'm sorry!" girl from SZS) ponytail none of the inner four stand out to me. The one on the left especially eludes me because such a distinctive hair style should ring bells.

Kyoko, Sayaka, ???, Kaga Ai, Tsunetsuki Matoi, ???, Madoka, Homura

What have I done with my life???

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
That was alright. Nowhere near how great Second Season and Hana were, but it's definitely good setup for the Final Season. No idea how they'll adapt Koyomimonogatari. OVAs would work well.

All I really have to say is: Deredere Hitagi.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

i300 posted:

All I really have to say is: Deredere Hitagi.

This was extremely good.

The whole thing felt pretty anticlimactic, maybe I wasn't in the right mood for :words: with anime tacked on today. There was 100% too little Kaiki in it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I really really liked the new eps, they felt a lot more substantial than the previous 4 parter we got.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Redcrimson posted:

Hilarious

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 2, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This may have been answered already, but what's with aiki dying at the end of Second Season, and then being perfectly normal(ish) In Hana-? Or has that just not been explained yet within what's been animated?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As far as I know it's because Kaiki is a liar.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

All I want to know is: did they finally cover the original encounter with Shinobu in this part?

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Rangpur posted:

All I want to know is: did they finally cover the original encounter with Shinobu in this part?

what do you think? lol

that's kizumonogatari

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

As far as I know it's because Kaiki is a liar.

So he was conning us?

drat. It probably isn't, but I want that to be true.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

This may have been answered already, but what's with aiki dying at the end of Second Season, and then being perfectly normal(ish) In Hana-? Or has that just not been explained yet within what's been animated?

he didnt die, but he did have all his teeth knocked out

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

So he was conning us?

Don't forget how the first 90 seconds of the first Hitagi End episode went. "I may not able to guarantee its truthfulness, but I can guarantee its quality." :allears:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

So he was conning us?

I mean, it even played his theme music and everything. You know, that one song that plays whenever he's doing any kind of grifting. Kaiki lies, to the point where his outfits change from one shot to another in the episodes he's narrating. That's his thing.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Coughing Hobo posted:

I knew it :toot: Kaiki's greatest lie was making the audience think he was dead.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I remembered to go back and finish Hitagi End. I wound up enjoying it more than I thought, probably because it had a lot of Kaiki, and I find him far less headache-inducing as a main character than Araragi. Like, literally his inner monologue seems more coherent. That said, it also had some of the weaknesses shared among several plot arcs in this show.

First: that was an awful lot of chatter for a resolution that took all of... Five, ten minutes in the final episode to resolve? The back and forth between the characters is part of the show's appeal, but a lot of it seemed redundant this time. Moreso than usual. Second: it feels like they were really overselling Nadeko's share of the blame in all this. (I felt the same way about some of Hanekawa's arcs.) Okay, I get it she's a little spoiled and lets people shove responsibilities on her that she doesn't want. These are failings, but the characters discuss her like she's a high-functioning sociopath. It's kinda weird, you know?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, people's personal problems manifesting as literal monsters is kinda what the show's about, isn't it? Nadeko's desire to avoid responsibility for anything that happened to her literally became a monster that was threatening to kill people. So... it kind of is her fault? What part of it is not her fault? It definitely tried to humanize her with the resolution though.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

And I want to kill people who cut me off in traffic, but I don't become a crazy snake God because all the spiritual fetishes in my house are safely locked away. See, I don't take issue with the notion her moral weaknesses left her open to possession. But the way people talk about her makes it sound like they always thought "yeah, she'd totally go crazy and start murdering people if given half a chance, what an rear end in a top hat."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's not like Nadeko is completely alone in this regard, Kanbaru went through more or less the same thing where it really just boiled down to her wanting to kill Araragi so she could have his girlfriend. Feelings and resentments that likely would not manifest as crimes if not for the supernatural setting, which most/all of the cast seems to understand after it is all resolved. Actually it's kind of worse for Nadeko because at least Kanbaru didn't break into Araragi's room, steal from him, and then go against his explicit warnings about bringing the misfortune upon herself. Let's also not forget what kind of gloomy gus is narrating Hitagi End in the first place and thus coloring the situation with his own perceptions. He's not really privy to what we know about Ougi's manipulations in a lot of the events of this season either.

However I will say that the show has been a bit nastier than necessary with Hanekawa at times; I think it was Neko Black where Oshino said something along the lines of her deserving her abuse because she was too nice and/or wouldn't get mad at her step-father.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rangpur posted:

And I want to kill people who cut me off in traffic, but I don't become a crazy snake God because all the spiritual fetishes in my house are safely locked away. See, I don't take issue with the notion her moral weaknesses left her open to possession. But the way people talk about her makes it sound like they always thought "yeah, she'd totally go crazy and start murdering people if given half a chance, what an rear end in a top hat."

The point though is that she wasn't possessed. She never was. The talisman gave her power, but the story wouldn't have been any different if it were just a gun or something. She was honest-to-god crazy and imagined herself talking to a giant snake. A giant snake that never existed in any form whatsoever. I assume you don't do that.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Clarste posted:

The point though is that she wasn't possessed. She never was. The talisman gave her power, but the story wouldn't have been any different if it were just a gun or something. She was honest-to-god crazy and imagined herself talking to a giant snake. A giant snake that never existed in any form whatsoever. I assume you don't do that.
What was scarier was the fact that this talisman apparently made her invincible in combat against Vampires or anyone else because she was a 'goddess'. And that she would kill everyone Koyomi had ever known or loved. I would've given the bitch a horrifying slow death if I were Shinbo.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Nate RFB posted:

Feelings and resentments that likely would not manifest as crimes if not for the supernatural setting, which most/all of the cast seems to understand after it is all resolved.

I dunno mang, to me it seems like most of this poo poo they would simply bottle up if not for the aberrations.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Clarste posted:

Looks like someone didn't get invited to Alan Moore's last party~ :smug:

For real, though: where does that comes up? I'm not being a smartass, I'm genuinely curious if anyone mentioned that explicitly either in Hitagi End or the original Nadeko Medusa arc. My take on the situation was 'tween infatuation spurred to dangerous levels via supernatural corruption.' In this interpretation, the Western equivalent would be The One Ring (if Frodo also really wanted to bang Galadriel.) Now the series just treats it as a given that this is entirely her fault, that she was fundamentally broken from the very beginning. Which would make the Western equivalent... Dexter I guess? Guest-starring 'illusion of a giant white snake' as the dark passenger.

That doesn't sit right with me. If that is meant to be the canonical truth of things, then it just exposes a deeper fault in the series' writing because I don't think they demonstrated that well at all. Up until Nadeko becomes a snake god she didn't act any more or less like a lunatic than everyone else in the series. I mentioned earlier that one of Hanekawa's arcs bothered me for related reasons. Yes, she should be less passive-agressive but there's that same unearned sense of moral superiority. "Okay your parents slap you around and make you sleep in a hallway and just generally resent your very existence but really it's your own fault for letting the stress build up until it became a pyrokinetic ghost tiger." Apparently we're meant to take that as a given too, which made me leery of the series' moral calculus in general.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They talk about the snake being fake in I think the last ep of Medusa, maybe the one before it. That's the "twist" of that arc, that Nadeko was imagining the entire thing and was never really possessed or controlled (though she was being manipulated by Ougi). It also puts her earlier outburst in a different sort of context.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Looks like someone didn't get invited to Alan Moore's last party~ :smug:

For real, though: where does that comes up? I'm not being a smartass, I'm genuinely curious if anyone mentioned that explicitly either in Hitagi End or the original Nadeko Medusa arc. My take on the situation was 'tween infatuation spurred to dangerous levels via supernatural corruption.' In this interpretation, the Western equivalent would be The One Ring (if Frodo also really wanted to bang Galadriel.) Now the series just treats it as a given that this is entirely her fault, that she was fundamentally broken from the very beginning. Which would make the Western equivalent... Dexter I guess? Guest-starring 'illusion of a giant white snake' as the dark passenger.

That doesn't sit right with me. If that is meant to be the canonical truth of things, then it just exposes a deeper fault in the series' writing because I don't think they demonstrated that well at all. Up until Nadeko becomes a snake god she didn't act any more or less like a lunatic than everyone else in the series. I mentioned earlier that one of Hanekawa's arcs bothered me for related reasons. Yes, she should be less passive-agressive but there's that same unearned sense of moral superiority. "Okay your parents slap you around and make you sleep in a hallway and just generally resent your very existence but really it's your own fault for letting the stress build up until it became a pyrokinetic ghost tiger." Apparently we're meant to take that as a given too, which made me leery of the series' moral calculus in general.

Nadeko has always had a weird one sided love for Koyomi.

after she talked with Ougi she started to see the "snake." the breaking point was after she spent the night at the Araragi house and Tsukihi told her that Koyomi had a girlfriend then she got the idea to turn into the snake goddess. the snake tells her that its remains are at the Araragi house and if she eats the bookmark it will grant her wish, and of course her wish is for Koyomi to like her. she just basically goes crazy when she finds out Koyomi has a girlfriend. at the end of Hitagi End, Kaiki tricks Nadeko into "becoming human again" by telling her there is more to life than love and she should pursue her other interests. then Kaiki tells Koyomi to stay out of Nadeko's life because he will only make things hard for her. after that Kaiki is attacked by the student who actually is cursed by the snake god.

Nadeko's arc is basically the same as Hanekawa's. they are both in love with someone who will never return their love and those feelings manifest themselves as oddities. i think Hanekawa's arc was better explained and she did have a lot more problems than just unrequited love.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I'm not entirely sure how to square that into the suggestion in Nadeko Medusa that she never really loved Araragi, but just used him as a convenient shield to avoid emotional investment. And when she was a snake god, she wasn't particularly angry towards him or anything; it was just part of her role that she kill off Araragi and Senjougahara. It felt more like the resolution of that arc was about her taking possession of her own life instead of running away from it by way of a forced unrequited love.

Nisio Isin has always been good at taking what looks like a normal reaction to a situation and twisting it into something unnatural. I still think it's an interesting way to look at everything, but I have to agree that when you apply it to an abused child, it starts to look a lot like victim blaming, which is a little concerning. So I just take it all with a grain of salt.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Myriad Truths posted:

I'm not entirely sure how to square that into the suggestion in Nadeko Medusa that she never really loved Araragi, but just used him as a convenient shield to avoid emotional investment.

Wasn't that put forward by Kaiki (e.g., the greatest manipulator in the Nisio-verse)?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Wasn't that put forward by Kaiki (e.g., the greatest manipulator in the Nisio-verse)?

I don't actually remember, but I thought the fake snake god already hinted in that direction. It doesn't feel like something Kaiki just pulled out of his rear end, anyway.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Whether Nadeko loves Koyomi isn't really her big problem, because her big issue is that she invariably casts herself as a passive victim in her life, because denying her own agency means that she can't be responsible for anything that goes wrong.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i'm pretty sure she's denied her own agency because she's a character in an otaku harem drama where the harem contains the MC's younger sisters, his sisters' friends, and no fewer than four other prepubescent girls

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

icantfindaname posted:

i'm pretty sure she's denied her own agency because she's a character in an otaku harem drama where the harem contains the MC's younger sisters, his sisters' friends, and no fewer than four other prepubescent girls

That's the beauty of it all! By leaving the harem and becoming irrelevant to the narrative, she has reclaimed her power of choice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

That's too meta even for someone as in love with his own anus as Nisio. Then again since Nadeko is presumably a budding mangaka, I wouldn't put it past him.

• Locked thread