Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Neko (Black) and Neko (White) are supposed to be two halves of the same story. Obviously. You'll note that her problems have never actually been resolved in any of her arcs, she just keeps getting weakened by a vampire until she's no longer a threat.

I do agree though that the episode feels a bit weak as the start of a new season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Show is going hard fanservice right from the off, it appears. Oh, it's down from Nise (just about), but if you go and compare this episode with the first episode of Bake it's like night and day. Sad, but I guess it's just something you have to deal with with this series. :sigh:

Shouldn't you compare it to the second episode? Which as I recall was mostly Senjougahara in her underwear. This whole scene actually felt like a callback to that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

^^^It has nothing to do with Araragi and who he is. Which is the whole point. She has no preferences and will accept anything in front of her no matter what it is, so how can she say she loves Araragi? The food allegory is meant to imply that he's not actually special to her, he was just someone conveniently within reach for what she thought of as her romantic needs.

Edit: Uh... to clarify, Senjougahara specifically inquired about the idea that she might actually like plain food and got her to say that she thinks flavors make no difference. So you probably shouldn't read it as "ordinary" so much as "indifferent".

Clarste fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 13, 2013

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

^^^

Did you watch Nekomonogatari (Black)? Because I thought that what you just realized was spelled out pretty explicitly there.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

So how's the animation quality been so far? Is it safe to watch this live out would it be worth it to wait for the BDs so there aren't 5 minutes of title cards in each episode?

It's been fine so far, and apparently next week is a recap episode so I guess they'll have a buffer to make it fine in the future too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

In the end the tiger isn't important. The tiger made her realize her problem, she resolved to solve it, and then Araragi appeared in front of her so she could confess to him and get rejected. That's why he showed up, that's what his purpose was. He casually got rid of the tiger in an excessively flashy way, but since we're seeing this story from Hanekawa's perspective all that does is reinforce how she feels about him. That's the visual metaphor in place here: Araragi is this cool and awesome guy that we want to marry (as opposed to the creepy pervert we usually see). Which makes the following confession and rejection affect her more deeply then if we hadn't seen him have a moment like that.

Keep in mind that the story is all about perspective, especially this arc. It's about how Hanekawa sees the world, although obviously it mostly focused on what she doesn't see. She's the only one who could see the tiger for most of the story, and she's the only one who thought it was a major threat. She's the one who "knew" that cats could never beat tigers.

Edit: Also, ignoring the metanarrative, if the tiger had just been killed before she accepted it then she would have just created another one immediately. Her affliction was "endlessly spawning emotion monsters", not "being possessed by a tiger".

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 8, 2013

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well given the themes spelled out in the first half, obviously the point is to meet Hachikuji before her death.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Huh, a piece of her hair just straight up disappears at one point.

I think it teleports to the other side just in time to fly up when she tilts her head. Quantum tunneling.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

A jargogle posted:

Ok, so having only ever watched Bakemonogatari, even with the help from the OP i'm really confused as to what order I would want to watch this show in order to get the best experience. I'm not bothered enough to read light novels though. Can anyone help?

The order is Bake -> Nise -> Neko (Black) -> Second Season. Once Kizumonogatari (the movie) finally comes out you should watch it between Bake and Nise. It's not really a matter of "getting the best experience" so much as not starting in the middle and getting confused for no reason. It's a single linear series with idiosyncratic names for the sequels.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

HudsonFromAliens posted:

Was the cop from this latest episode when they were in the past Araragi's mother?

I got the feeling it was, but I base that on nothing but the camera angles and the fact that her hair isn't wrong, per se. I already forgot what her voice sounds like and her eye color, etc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dan7el posted:

Am I right in assuming this current story is the story of where Araragi went off to while Hanekawa was going through her Tiger-crisis episodes?

Sort of but not really because time travel. Hanekawa's story starts on the first day of the new semester, while Araragi's starts the day before that. And then 11 years ago, and then maybe time paradox or something.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Srice posted:

Shaft has trouble keeping their production schedules straight with 13 episode shows, and since this season is twice as long I'm not surprised that they're putting in several recaps. I guess at this rate we'll be seeing one recap after each arc?

From what I gather, the season was originally planned to contain Hanamonogatari too, and the decision to remove it was relatively late. In other words, they had already reserved the whole 26 episode timeslot, then realized it wasn't quite enough to squeeze everything into, and then cut out an entire arc to air later, somewhere else. Of course, by doing that they had a big hole in the middle of their schedule, which they're now filling with recap episodes spaced between arcs.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

I got the impression that he was just kind of using this as an excuse and really just wanted to gently caress with people since that's pretty much what apparitions do. I don't think he cares much about atonement.

Did someone miss the memo that apparitions always respond to people's desires and fears? There is not a single one in this series that's ever "just wanted to gently caress with people". Anyway the whole snake thing is clearly a reaction to Nadeko's inability to claim agency in her own life. She specifically avoids attributing herself as the cause of anything and talks about her problems as if they were conditions of the world around her (this was quite explicit with her). She's "playing the victim" to the very end, and the large and pushy snake telling how should feel about her own guilt slots into that paradigm quite nicely.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Okay, this development is slightly harder to square as a metaphor for adolescence.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

No, it's more of a straightforward exploration of denial and self delusion.

I did say slightly. I think the fact that she literally became a god makes it a bit weird though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Nah. Peak loligatari is the bath scene with Shinobu. Tooth-brushing was pretty tame in comparison, I thought.

The direction of those scenes were particularly "sexy" though, and the toothbrush scene demonstrates that the director knows how to portray things as "sexy" even if they're not. Shinobu's nudity is treated as something trivial, and I'm of the opinion that if you think that's fanservice then there's either something wrong with you personally or, more likely, you have a very low opinion of the intended audience for this show. The latter of which isn't necessarily wrong, but it seems like a cynical way to perceive things.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't think the rapport between Kanbaru and Araragi is sexually charged at all. I mean, they constantly talk to each other about sex, and basically nothing else, but there's really no implication that either of them might be interested in actually doing anything. If anything, they can talk about sex precisely because they're comfortable around each other. Or rather, they're constantly trying to one up each other in making the other uncomfortable, which never works so it just escalates. Honestly it reminds me of male friends joking around with each other, which I'm sure is the point (remember that Kanbaru identifies as a lesbian...)

Contrast, say, any conversation he has with Hanekawa, which is full of heavy sexual tension regardless of what they're talking about.

ViggyNash posted:

Speaking of whom, anyone know if we'll be seeing any of Kanbaru this season? She's been conspicuously absent.

Not sure if she'll play a role in other arcs, but the Kanbaru-focused story was cut from this season at the last minute. That's why they're filling time with these recap episodes. Suruga Devil is going to air as a stand-alone miniseries a la Nekomonogatari White.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The anime got right to Kumagawa's first scene, had a side-story about Kumagawa's past in the other school (which made no sense at all to the anime viewers), and then ended. Probably won't get continued, for obvious reasons. I don't think this really says anything about the viewers' tolerance for Nisio though, because the beginning is quite frankly pretty bad.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

darkgray posted:

Oh man, it's even worse the second time.

Ep 20: Reading the book, I kept thinking "surely they'll figure something out, surely she'll be okay". This time it hit me like a goddamn train.

Best show!

To be honest, I'm kind of happy for her being able to move on. I mean, from my perspective a ghost isn't a good thing to be. Much less a "ghost of a ghost". She already died 10 years, and was given the opportunity to confront her own regrets and all that. There's really no better ending she could have asked for.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Oh right, Shinobu's still trapped in hell, isn't she. After all this Mayoi-centric heart touching I completely forgot about her. That explains why she's also missing from the ed. But we all know why Mayoi disappears (RIP).

I'm pretty sure she isn't. We already saw what happened to her after being separated from Araragi. She goes and talks to Black Hanekawa, as seen in the first arc of the season (which based on Araragi's phone call takes place on the same day as this episode).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kanbaru's interesting in that she's a relatively normal person who actually talks to her classmates.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

trucutru posted:

As long as they downplay the "I'm a pervert" stuff it should be fine.

That's mostly just how she acts around Araragi.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Here's a commercial for Hanamonogatari: link

I wonder if the tone will surprise people.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Really creepy Ougi in a male school uniform, and a brown-haired girl we've never seen before are what caught my eye.

Also, Kaiki. Speaking of which, this takes place some time during the events of Second Season, right?

It takes place after Araragi's graduation, at the start of the new semester.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

i300 posted:

That's just so loving ridiculous. This is the most Nisio Isin thing ever, god damnit.

It's only like this because of the anime. In the books this was published first, so the ending of Hitagi End is obviously a lie.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ultimatemegax posted:

Tsubasa Cat was always intended to end broadcast with 12 episodes and have 3 OVAs. TV stations run series in 12/13 week blocks, so 15 episodes were unlikely to be run due to Aniplex scheduling those timeslots for another show the following season. Nise got away with 11 episodes due to Aniplex running Fate/Zero recaps in those slots for two weeks.

Not quite. It was always intended to have 12 episodes for broadcast, but they realized partway through pre-production that this wouldn't be enough to cover every arc without generous chopping (Hitagi Crab did in fact receive generous chopping before they made this decision). But since they'd already reserved 12 episodes, they decided to air the rest on the internet. They are not and have never been OVAs, since they were originally web-broadcast. They were touched up for DVD release just like every other episode, and presumably someone who only buys the DVDs would never notice the difference.

The only lingering effect this has had would be for the international streaming audience, since for whatever reason no one bothered getting a streaming license for the final three episodes. They're not supposed to be hard to find, or OVAs or anything. They're just the final 3 episodes of a 15 episode season.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

darkgray posted:

This is probably the talkiest the series has ever been, and it's 2 hours in one clump, so subbing it must be quite the ordeal.

I think at least half of it must have been pure exposition.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gravefront posted:

kizumonogatari can come out now thanks

Honestly I kind of wonder why people are looking forward to that because it's pretty terrible. If your complaint for this one is "too many characters I don't care about" then Kizu is about three times worse.

That said, I liked Numachi.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

darkgray posted:

Uh. It's been nearly five years since I read it, but it's probably still the best light novel I've ever read. And I've finished about 150 of them at this point (even if 20 were by Nishio). It's easily "three times" better than any other book in the Monogatari series. It has the best balance between plot, humour and action, and was written before some of his jokes got ... stale. Admittedly my opinion may have been the opposite, had it come out last rather than third, but at the time I thought it had an interesting take on vampires, and most importantly, it sheds a ton of light on Koyomi's relationship with Hanekawa, which heightens every other arc where she's involved.

Your negativity puzzles me. I'm more worried about Tsukimonogatari (vol 13), since it was the worst of the bunch, and most likely to be adapted next. Luckily Shaft does some decent editing.

To be honest it's the only of the novels I've read, but unless Shaft has been doing some magical editing it seems significantly poorer quality than the rest we've seen. It certainly has its high points, but, speaking from the perspective of the movie coming out now, the insights about Hanekawa and Shinobu are coming a bit too late to have much impact and the rest of the book is padded with pointless and shounen-y battles against generic vampire hunters.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

darkgray posted:

You're certainly entitled to think it's bad, but all the books have been like that, only worse. Nishio loves his words. I know the anime can seem talky at times, but that's after Shaft has cut down 50-75% of the dialogue in many cases. With the Monogatari series he also has a tendency to stuff in as many meta jokes as possible, and Shaft kindly spares us from those. Since I personally can't stand meta, there are times when I think the anime is better than the original.

I'd agree on Shinobu's part coming very late. By the time Kizumonogatari came out, Shinobu still hadn't spoken a word, if I remember correctly. Hanekawa, however, still seems hated by a lot of the Monogatari fanbase. Showing her first encounter with Koyomi would probably alleviate some of that. On the action? Well, I like shounen battles. :(

Did you read it in the original Japanese? The man's a word wizard. I don't really know about the quality of the English versions floating around, but light novel translators in general seem to be ADD kids with crayons. Something of value may have been lost in the process.

No, I read the translation and I'll admit that it probably read a lot better in the original. However, my main complaint is actually the shounen battles though. I just thought they were really kind of stupid and didn't fit the tone of the series at all. Like, we actually see Koyomi actually fight people and actually try to win, and then end up like, analyzing his opponent's powers and finding their weakness. That is actually a thing that happens and it blows my mind, in a bad way. The fact that the three villains are loosely characterized "obstacles" that exist only for him to defeat is the icing on the "what the heck is this and what has it done with Monogatari" cake. If anything I thought it wasn't talky enough.

The beginning and end are both very interesting, but the middle was just a chore for me to read through, and I don't think it would make a very good movie.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 21, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

My past life as a basketball nerd haunts me, as I couldn't stop paying attention to the inconsistency in court dimensions. They used the old FIBA style court dimensions in the first episode, the NCAA court in the flashback (edit: which I guess makes sense for middle school), and the new FIBA/NBA dimensions in later episodes. :arghfist:

Yet somehow you're willing to ignore them talking in a huge empty field (in the middle of a city) that adds stairs and construction equipment randomly?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Smornstein posted:

I finally finished the rest of Monogatari season 2 earlier and Did Kaiki really go through all that just to end up beaten to death by another kid possessed by what i assume was the same snake that turned into Nadeko's scrunchy?. I'll get around to Suruga Devil at some point but i wish Crunchyroll separated them into episodes and not just a 2 hour chunk.

It was a different snake, the one from Nadeko's arc the first season (it got away at the end). "Curse, like chickens, come back to roost." Point is that he totally deserved that, technically.

Also, "the snake that turned into a scrunchy" never actually existed: there was no god until Nadeko swallowed the talisman.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wark Say posted:

He did this (or something similar; can't remember) with Katanagatari too. So it's less a troll and more of a gimmick he probably decided to amp up.

Was it that ninja that always talked backwards?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

So... this was just a long prologue for the rest of the season? Felt like it just set up the question and nothing else.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, people's personal problems manifesting as literal monsters is kinda what the show's about, isn't it? Nadeko's desire to avoid responsibility for anything that happened to her literally became a monster that was threatening to kill people. So... it kind of is her fault? What part of it is not her fault? It definitely tried to humanize her with the resolution though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rangpur posted:

And I want to kill people who cut me off in traffic, but I don't become a crazy snake God because all the spiritual fetishes in my house are safely locked away. See, I don't take issue with the notion her moral weaknesses left her open to possession. But the way people talk about her makes it sound like they always thought "yeah, she'd totally go crazy and start murdering people if given half a chance, what an rear end in a top hat."

The point though is that she wasn't possessed. She never was. The talisman gave her power, but the story wouldn't have been any different if it were just a gun or something. She was honest-to-god crazy and imagined herself talking to a giant snake. A giant snake that never existed in any form whatsoever. I assume you don't do that.

• Locked thread