Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sindai posted:

As an aside, I liked Hanekawa a lot more after reading Kizumonogatari. You're missing out if you haven't.
I think we're supposed to have read it for much of these arcs to make sense in the first place.

I can't wait to see it! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I hope the ED is another one of those cases where they'll update it later on, because they really mailed it in for it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would love to meet the crazy architect who designed the Araragi house.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Guessing the next arc turns back the clock and we see things from Araragi's perspective.

MMania posted:

And that travel montage gave me goose-bumps, holy poo poo.
It was certainly one of the more ambitious artistic choices I can remember Shaft making. Very neat.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I liked her admitting so quickly that it wasn't the snake but her actual self that caused the outburst. The theme for this season in general seems to be characters being more truthful to themselves.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn :smith:

HellCopter posted:

I am legitimately surprised - who would've guessed that this dumb show would be able to bring emotion from my icy heart.

What are our loose ends here? The job Araragi did for Gaen, and whatever he was doing before he showed up to save Hanekawa from that tiger? e: Oh, and Medusa Nadeko I guess.

For this season, I think we only have one more arc left? The appropriately named "Hitagi End", I believe. With Suruga Devil being an OVA like Neko Black. I think that was what Araragi was doing during Tsubasa Tiger, but I could be wrong because the timeline jumps are starting to get to me too.

E: I think it's interesting how the the "Shinobu" and "Mayoi" arcs have actually developed the opposite characters seemingly more.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 17, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Siivola posted:

It definitely is. Neko Black and Oni overlap: Hanekawa runs into Hachikuji searching for her backpack in the beginning of Neko White, and Black Hanekawa runs into a disconnected Shinobu somewhere in the middle. Hanekawa also hears about Araragi tag-teaming with Kanbaru on some unknown mission during the arc. It all fits.
Actually, I think I was wrong. Tsubasa Tiger, Mayoi Jiang Shi, and Shinobu Time all seem to take place over August 20-23. Suruga Devil isn't until April 9th of the next year. Soooo... What messed up Araragi's clothes when he met back up with Hanekawa at the end of Tsubasa Tiger?

As an aside I think it's much easier to keep track of the arcs by the character names rather than the -gatari titles.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finally, an ED sequence that lives up to Bake and Nise :toot:

Looks like Hitagi End is going to own.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I love his new digs. Reminds me of a sarcastic/:effort: version of this dude.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh my god, so 90's. Yeah that takes the cake.

The most obvious development is there likely being a third party at play behind the scenes, with Ougi being the most obvious. They will act to undermine Kaiki's strategy and he will have to improvise. At the very least, his current plan seems to be to have Nadeko left alone in the shrine forever as a god which I doubt is the way this whole thing will shake down anyway.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The conversation with Ononoki is fascinating when you consider Kaiki's supposed creed from Nisemonogatari; that an imitation is superior to the real thing because in trying to imitate something it is able to surpass it. Even if his acts towards Senjougahara's family were fakes all along, he winds up being the biggest hero she could have possibly asked for.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 22, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Originally, wasn't Hitagi End meant to be what it said on the tin? The end? Or I guess more symbolically just the end of the affairs of Senjougahara and Araragi? The big bad was pretty blatantly revealed and yet not dealt with, so unless that was already addressed in Suruga Devil it's hard to believe Nisio wouldn't have more books planned.

At any rate, you see Ougi's name show up in a bunch of the arcs for Owari, so I guess that's where that will be addressed once and for all. Does anything important happen in Tsukimonogatari (apparently bad) or Koyomimonogatari to warrant them getting adaptations first?

E: Episode itself was cool and did not at all go the way I thought it would. Hitagi End was definitely the highlight of S2. Good series.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 29, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Wark Say posted:

was that the Mayoi book or the Shinobu book? Can't remember right now.
Might have to get even more specific than that, since you'd be rather hard pressed to say Shinobu Time was just about Shinobu or vice versa for Mayoi Jiang Shi. Certainly was an interesting way to go about it at least.

At any rate, I loved what they did with Kaiki. A big theme in this season has been how changing the narrator skews the perception of the -gatari world, and none was seemingly more obvious than with Kaiki. Despite being a con man who only really cares about money (and Kanbaru) his narration paints one of the most normal worldviews thus seen in -gatari. He is even exasperated by the bits and pieces he hears of Araragi's antics.

As a character in general, he is probably the most interesting of the lot as well. He is in essence a walking contradiction, and he knows it. He styles himself as a "fake", and yet his creed is that a fake can be better than the real thing. And when he seems to "genuinely" try to do something good, such as destroying the cult Hitagi's mother was in or help out in this whole Nadeko mess, he fucks it up. Conversely, he easily succeeded in breaking up the Senjougahara family through conning them. Since he seems vaguely aware of this, he goes out of his way to adhere to his money-bound moral compass even when he'd probably be fine helping out or doing whatever. Gaen/Ononoki seem aware of it too, hence all of the warnings.

Might be difficult to make him the narrator again though (If he survives...). Maybe as a supporting character? Or a flashback to his younger days with Gaen/Oshino/Kagenui?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There was going to be a "Zoku-Owarimonogatari" containing "Koyomi Book" wasn't there?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

that is supposed to be the name of the final book.

i think the series was supposed to end with 5 books. yotsugi doll was the first one, a collection of short stories was second, owarimonogatari (stuff dealing with ougi) is books 3 and 4, then koyomi book is 5.
Owari is 3 books, not 2 (correct me if I'm wrong darkgray). Zoku-Owari doesn't even have a release date yet.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's also Nekmonogatari (Black), but besides that yes.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 11, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Technically those episodes (Tsubasa Cat) are part of Bake.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is the fear that BD sales have dropped so much compared to Bake that they may not be able to get around to animating the rest? Possibly related to why we don't have Kizu yet. A lot of companies like to use anime adaptions to boost sales for the originals, so there could also be a situation where the book series finishes but too much time passes for there to be a "need" for an anime adaption (this is supposedly what happened with Haruhi and FMP).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Apparently Onimonogatari / Shinobu Time got an actual OP for the BD release: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5cKa22911k

It's one of the more interesting ones they've done, though sadly it's not performed by Maaya Sakamoto.

E: Been nuked, dunno where else to find it at the moment.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 17, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As far as I know it's because Kaiki is a liar.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

So he was conning us?

drat. It probably isn't, but I want that to be true.
Don't forget how the first 90 seconds of the first Hitagi End episode went. "I may not able to guarantee its truthfulness, but I can guarantee its quality." :allears:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's not like Nadeko is completely alone in this regard, Kanbaru went through more or less the same thing where it really just boiled down to her wanting to kill Araragi so she could have his girlfriend. Feelings and resentments that likely would not manifest as crimes if not for the supernatural setting, which most/all of the cast seems to understand after it is all resolved. Actually it's kind of worse for Nadeko because at least Kanbaru didn't break into Araragi's room, steal from him, and then go against his explicit warnings about bringing the misfortune upon herself. Let's also not forget what kind of gloomy gus is narrating Hitagi End in the first place and thus coloring the situation with his own perceptions. He's not really privy to what we know about Ougi's manipulations in a lot of the events of this season either.

However I will say that the show has been a bit nastier than necessary with Hanekawa at times; I think it was Neko Black where Oshino said something along the lines of her deserving her abuse because she was too nice and/or wouldn't get mad at her step-father.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They talk about the snake being fake in I think the last ep of Medusa, maybe the one before it. That's the "twist" of that arc, that Nadeko was imagining the entire thing and was never really possessed or controlled (though she was being manipulated by Ougi). It also puts her earlier outburst in a different sort of context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They really are going to finish this stupid thing off before getting to Kizu, aren't they

• Locked thread