Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

Apparently you now need to have a Declaration of Friendship in order to trade gold. May have to rethink the strategy of luxury selling.

That's a pretty huge change. Can you still get gold from peace treaties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I think they made the AI modifiers more transparent. I declared war on a guy (first time all game I was in a war) and I had warmonger penalties with 6/7 of the other civs in dark red. After I took his last city they all switched to the brighter red, including the guy who was friends with me.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

So I'm around 1600 AD in my game as Pocatello and drat they made this game a lot harder. I had two little wars, took 2 capitals, and literally all 7 other civs turned against me, all denouncing me and calling me a warmonger. Whatever, I had the biggest army, score and was tied on tech so I thought I could cruise a bit...and then the world congress started and I wasn't the host. Welp, all of a sudden proposals get passed that all civs embargo me AND that all civs have to stop trading with city-states, so I now have no trade routes at all and negative gold :argh:.

It's pretty awesome that diplomatic relations now actually have an effect on your chance of victory, even when you're in the lead. And this is on King, whereas in G&K I was easily beating Emperor. I think I'm just gonna call this one and start a new game as Brazil because the new culture system is a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

Starks fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 11, 2013

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Dongattack posted:

What does it mean when a social policy says it unlocks a wonder? I can still build it without having the right policy and can still be beaten to it if i do. What's the deal?

Is there a neat page that lists the changes from G&K? Very sad about rivertiles being boring now, wondering what else there is to consider.

You shouldn't be able to build it unless you've started that policy branch so if you can that's a bug, and you can be beaten to it if other people start that policy branch/ideology as well.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Does tourism give some kind of benefit during the game or is it strictly for culture victories?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Have units always retained their original bonuses when upgraded? If so I never noticed you could have infantry with the jaguar promotions, which is awesome.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Man is it just me or is it way rarer to see science/military victories now? Seems like cultural and diplo victories come way earlier, especially since I'm swimming in gold by the endgame and there's no reason not to buy out as many city states as possible.

My last game Bismarck had a ~12% tech lead over me (I was in 2nd) and I still managed to win through diplomacy, even though he was building spaceship parts before I hit the atomic era. It really doesn't help that one player getting that far ahead in science triggers the UN which means that if you have enough diplomats, you're pretty much guaranteed to win before the player can get their spaceship off.

I hope they tweak some values in the future, they really need to make it so the AI is waaaay more aggressive about getting city states because right now you can get a diplo win while the AI are sitting on thousands of gold. Ideally I think they should also implement diminishing returns to gold gifts based on how many city state allies you already have, to force players going for diplo wins to actually use the diplo policies and tenets.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Richard M Nixon posted:

I am far from a Civ expert and just gently caress around with my girlfriend on prince difficulty, and even on that low setting I have found that BNW has completely hosed the way we earn gold. Now that tiles don't directly give gold, how can we make income? I have tried making trade routes with nearby city-states (10 tiles is a joke one huge maps and makes it impossible to trade much) yet by turn 100 I have been at -30 gpt for the past 30 turns. It's maddeningly frustrating. By the time I discovered guilds to make trading posts, I was so far negative that a few +1 gold tiles won't do anything to save me. How can I cope with the massive economy nerf in the expansion?

Sounds like you just got a little unlucky with other civs' placements because even on large maps, the AI usually settles a city or 2 near enough to me that I can get to it with the first trade route. I think the problem might be that prince AI is much slower to expand so that's actually making it harder. But there are also a lot of buildings you can get that extend the range and yield of trade routes, including the caravansary which you get before trade routes.

You also get more gold from civs than city states usually, and from sea routes rather than land. And there is still gold from luxuries, so improve and work those where you can.

If you already knew all of that, then maybe just add an extra civ on the map if you're playing on huge. Or try to keep your costs low by keeping an eye on your building/unit maintenance and not building stuff you don't need, although I rarely even worry about that on emperor. Once you get some trade route boosting buildings up I think you'll find that the economy hasn't really been nerfed.

Edit: In case it's not totally clear, trade routes are the main way you're going to be making your money, so make sure they're used up ASAP. Oh and I forgot to mention you can also trade luxuries/borders/embassies with the AI for GPT, although I think on the lower difficulties their GPT tends to be low.

Starks fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 2, 2013

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Maxmaps posted:

Huh, so I guess I'm better off trying to get my first France win ever with a military strategy that just happens to fill up Liberty, Honor and Commerce really, really fast. Thanks!

France is definitely one of the best civs for cultural wins, I'd say second probably right behind Brazil. Their tile improvement counts towards hotels/airports/visitor center and their UA doubles the tourism (and culture) from great works.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Vengarr posted:

I know the feeling. That's why I was so surprised.

Most leaders are somewhat controversial, but the solution shouldn't be to completely gloss over it. I'd be happy if they left the intros as the positive "rah-rah" boosters that they are, and give a more nuanced portrait in the Civilopedia.

I mean, Oda Nobunaga was at best ruthlessly ambitious, and at worst a total psychopath. That probably warrants a mention somewhere.

The Sejong thing isn't even very well known at all, I've never read anything about him specifically but I always had a pretty good idea of his achievements and have seen him mentioned in books but I'd never heard about those facts you posted. It's not even anywhere in the wikipedia article, which in all likelihood is where the guy who does the civilopedia is getting his info.

I mean it's one thing to expect them to not gloss over well-known controversy (although I'm sure they do do this a lot, haven't read enough entries to know), but you can't expect them to hire expert historians or do indepth academic research for brief little summaries about all 43 civs that few players will actually read.

My point that it's probably more out of ignorance than anything, they probably just use one broad source to write each of the entries. I'm pretty sure that the guy who wrote the Suleiman article didn't read many Serb sources, for example, since it goes on about how he was loved by all his christian subjects.

Starks fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 3, 2013

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Barent posted:

I'm pretty sure it's when at least half the civs reach the industrial era? Might be wrong though, I'd also like to know this.

It's when either half the civs hit industrial or one reaches the era beyond it. All the WC upgrades work that way.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Jedit posted:

A warning: Desert Folklore is bugged. It won't produce Faith from Desert tiles in a city with Petra under certain conditions - I'm not sure exactly what those conditions are, but it's happened to me twice now.

How long did it last? Check if your cities are in between converting. For some reason as your cities convert, there's a brief period where they lose pantheon beliefs but don't have the religion yet. I think it's still a bug but once you convert they should get the pantheon beliefs back.

Edit: Yeah just saw your follow up post and it sounds like this is what's happening. See if it goes away once you get religion in the city

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The way they're marketing it reminds me a lot of age of empires online, which was really bad. It's gonna suck, but I'm surprised they're using cryengine 3 to make it. It might look really nice if nothing else.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Your chance of getting a coup is based on your spy's rank and the difference between your influence and the influence of the civ you're trying to supplant, so there's a pretty direct trade-off between risk/reward. You can get some pretty ridiculous coup-spamming going once you get national intelligence agency since even when your spies fail you get a new one at rank 2 in a few turns.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Kaal posted:

The problem with this is that if you don't charge money for roads, then players end up blanketing the countryside with roads so their units can rocket around the map. It looks stupid and breaks the tactical game. Paying a maintenance cost on roads is ok.

Was it Civ 3 that actually gave you gold for building roads? I remember there was no reason to not spam them on every single tile.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Roads are a really cheap investment as long as you don't start building them before the break-even point. The only real cost is using up a worker but that's something you'd have to do anyways if you were building roads everywhere. I really don't even think there's a trade-off, just wait til your cities are big enough to profit from a road and take the GPT hit for 10 turns or whatever.

If you leave the worker suggestions on, you don't even have to calculate anything, the game will start suggesting roads itself once it's profitable to build them.

Starks fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 29, 2013

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I am sure this has been asked before and I couldn't find an easy answer on google, but do custom civs work as AI? As in, does the AI actually take advantage of their UA/UU or does it ignore them? I've never used custom civs and I wanna add some variety to my games. It seems like there's some pretty polished ones on the workshop now.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Poil posted:

When you make a unique unit you tell the game what unit it is based on and which it functions as (I think). I've no idea if the AI can handle any crazy UA that's not something already in the game though.

Im basically wondering if using custom civs in my games will have the unintentional effect of making the game easier because the AI cant use them as effectively as the default ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Ignimbrite posted:

I want to belive SO HARD.

E: Apparently firaxis is set to announce a new AAA game at PAX this weekend. The plot thickens.

Today or tomorrow? I am convinced those pics look real and that this is a logical next step for firaxis

• Locked thread