Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, that's what manual tile buying is for. If it really gets you all bent out of shape, adopt Tradition, your borders expand way faster and fill in better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Goons who can't play yet: if you want a quick look I posted a quick but hopefully-detailed account of the first half-hour of play over here in the LP thread.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Looks like Exploration unlocking will be pretty important for a cultural victory, even though it's entirely sea-based. Because it unlocks the the Louvre wonder, and that has many slots for sticking stuff into.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think the AI might be more cautious of declaring war on you just for being their neighbor now, because without trade between neighbors your economy sinks.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hahahaha. I got the "Tear Down This Wall!" achievement for forcing Mongolia to convert from Order to Freedom. I had a lot of influence over them, and after Genghis conquered everything on his continent he suddenly had no income. He had to delete quite a lot of his army, I could probably have destroyed him utterly if I felt like it--and I was only with three cities as Venice!

I appreciate that culture is now not bound to Freedom, but any of the three possible big ideologies.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

Wow, Caesar is a complete loving shithead if he gets to control the Worlds Congress. First he enacts a City-State embargo, then embargoes my two most prominent luxes, then embargoes me.

We did the opposite in my game. Genghis Khan was being a dick, so we enacted an embargo against him and raised the maintenance costs on military units. He didn't have a penny to spend for the rest of the game, haha.

I forget what the penalties are for hitting negative gold, but I think it's both a happiness dent and a science dent?

Anyway: If this were Gods And Kings, Genghis would have been a runaway civ, but thanks to the congress and so on we were able to keep him in check.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Is there a way to steal great works?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Won my first BNW game as Venice. Cultural victory. I was doing really really well, but I also shot myself in the foot a bit because my next-door neighbor and trading buddy was Morocco. Morocco gets culture points for every trade route with them...so it was an uphill battle to get more tourism than he had culture.

He never, ever betrayed me or even complained once. I think he must be programmed to be very loyal.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Also, if you're working on a Global Wonder or whatever it's called, do caravan production boosts help boost the work you add to that as well?

Hell, there's an achievement for doing it. Have three caravans bring production materials to the city building the wonder.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Colossus and Petra can also be doubled, yes. It's insane. I had more caravans and ships than I knew what to do with.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You know, the way things are set up now, I think it's actually more viable to go straight Honor from the start. Hell, even straight Piety! Before it was just a toss-up between Liberty/Tradition. But with the ability to stimulate city growth and production using trade routes...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hm, is there any benefit to being Dominant with your tourism? That's when you have double tourism to the other civ's culture.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dongattack posted:

Anyone got some settings/tips/mods to make the era's last longer? Aspecially the Modern Era, you get all these new toys, but then you win the game (or lose). I'm trying Marathon now, but i can't see it solving the "wanna play with the best toys" issue in the Modern Era. I realise all mods are broken right now, i can wait till it gets updated.

That's easy, disable every victory type except domination and/or score.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So does Heathen Conversion work like Vanilla Suleiman's ability worked on barbarian ships, i.e., they just need to bump into barbarians to convert them? No special actions or anything?

Man, it'd be like Populous: The Beginning. Where the preacher class was able to convert hordes of enemies just by walking up to them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

victrix posted:

Could someone explain the point of trading great works/artifacts?

You can only trade like for like, so how does that help you in any way?

For the theme bonus. Certain buildings and wonders that house great works like it when you arrange them according to a theme, for example, "All from the same civ and time period" or "all from different civs" or "all from different civs and different time periods." Get the theme right and you produce way more tourism. Doesn't affect the culture gain, though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, Shaka with a straight early-game Honor tree filled out is murder. Particularly if you make sure to build his unique barracks to give all the Buffalo promotions to his soldiers.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Is bronze working revealing iron a feature of last week’s patch rather than Brave New World? Because my OS X version of the game still has iron revealed at ironworking.

I would like to know this too.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Eiffel Tower produces its own tourism, though. Heh.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Assyria having extra writer slots in their libraries means they could be half decent at the cultute game too as well as a great military/science hybrid.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

I can't believe this was part of the Steam Summer Sale. gently caress you, early adopters!

The extra money I spent was totally worth it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Honor as an opener is way more viable to me, now. Because it lets you know where those goddamned barbarians are so they don't raid your trade routes!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Matrim posted:

I started off a game as Byzantine with my teammate as Venice. I rushed piety to get the reformation belief that allows you to convert barbarians. Then, I setup three barbarian fountains, including a naval one:

Over the course of the 240 turn game on quick, I recruited about 60 hammer-free, gold-free units from these camps. Since I was the dominant religion the whole game, I also picked up just war and holy warriors. After spawning essentially free units all game, I ran them by Mt. Kilimanjaro and gave them to Venice, who had enough gold to pay upkeep and upgrade them. We crushed the other 4 AIs in record time with little opposition on Emperor.

Oh, my God I need to try Heathen conversion. Does it only work on your turns or does it work if barbs approach the missionary on their turn?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Maybe it depends on how many trips they make?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

QuintessenceX posted:

So, I'm super bad at Civ so this question might be a bit silly. How is Venice supposed to keep up in the tech game with only one city?

That's what the puppets and national college are for.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There must be some version differences between Mac and PC users. The Freedom policy for getting in good with city-states is a protection promise, not a trade route, for me.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fryhtaning posted:

Gunboat Diplomacy is unbelievably powerful. And one of the most cleverly-named tenets.

How many units do you have to park outside/near a city-state to threaten it for Gunboat Diplomacy to kick in?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

And even if you're not going for a Tourism Victory, great writers can be expended to produce a crapload of culture points, usually enough to get one whole free social policy in themselves. If you do that and also play Poland you can concievably max out many policy trees before anyone else can.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I tried out a cultural Autocracy victory. It was surprisingly easy. The other two Ideologies get a bonus to Great People production (including great culturists) but Autocracy gets Futurism which creates a big blast of Tourism just for creating a Great Writer/Artist/Musician, regardless of what you do with them after. The "bonus tourism to other nations fighting the same foe you are" was gravy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't even know how anyone's supposed to get the Raiders of the Lost Ark achievement without tons of luck. Even deliberately setting it in the modern age, setting it so the only three players are America, Germany and Egypt and put it all on Pangea doesn't seem enough.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ah, that sounds like a good idea! Thanks.

Oh, I thought of one other thing: Great Writers can be expended to produce a ton of culture at once. Usually enough to help you get a new Social Policy. I bet this could also be used defensively, since the giant chunk of culture gets weighted against enemy tourism.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Purging a religion is only possible if you completely eradicate the faction that created it and then mop up using inquisitors. Don't do it unless you're prepared for some douche points with the rest of the world. That said, sometimes you have to be a douche to win in this game...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Played around with a Portugal game the other day. The Feitoria may come a bit late in the game but it's welcome exactly when it does, because it's during the second half of the game you need all the happiness you can grab. Forcing city-states to give me their stuff without ever having to spend a penny on bribe money was great. Though I did have a lot of money to spend. Portugal makes a lot of money per trade route if there's enough resource diversity, they can probably rake in at least as much as Morocco or Venice.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Good ones to puppet are those that have luxuries or strategics that you want that are just outside of their current borders - once you build a few culture buildings, the borders will usually expand to those spots quickly

Also, puppet city-states that are on water and have a potential naval trade route with Venice. (Or Austria, as the case may be). So you can get double the yield from internal trade routes as well. Thank you, +10 Production x3 in my capital!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Scout first to get more ancient ruins, monument second. Shrine third if you're gunning for a particular religion (which means, research pottery first!) but otherwise optional. With the new way things are balanced you also want to research animal husbandry pretty soon just to get the first caravan and get some gold coming in. How fast you prioritize building your worker depends on whether or not you're using the Liberty social policy tree for fast expansion.

This is just my "standard" build order, and it can change if I've got other things going on like aggressive barbarians or a trait for my society that lets me do things different.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

A Tartan Tory posted:

So, I just hit the Industrial Era...and not only do I have literally no coal whatsoever, no city state in the world is even close to having any coal. :smith:

Now I am forced to go begging to Venice...

Either that, or tech to the Modern era as quickly as you can!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I've never heard that. I know there's a World Congress treaty you can sign that makes common technologies faster to research for the slowpokes.

Edit: Does the Silk Road achievement allow you to be any of the civs on the list? Arabia's double-length caravans might do the trick...

Speedball fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 16, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Though you can get 2 more Great Merchants if you go Liberty. 1 for Collective Rule (gives you a Merchant of Venice if playing Venice) and 1 for completing Liberty.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

Wood? Wood is for Iroquois; the Huns build everything out of livestock. Well-polished leather automobiles ply the streets under towering skyscrapers of horseflesh :horse:

Man, I'm going to have weird dreams tonight. Thanks.

Though I suppose by that logic, Moai heads actually talk and give you advice on how to improve your society with philosophy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ooh, ouch, never start a fight with Pocatello on his home turf. Unless you have artillery. That was just painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

LaserKing9 posted:

The Shoshone are pretty sweet for early-game rapid expansion. Since I typically play an epic Earth sized map, I haven't really played any of the other new civs for BNW though. Any recommendations?

Definitely Poland. Its extra social policies get you a lot of wiggle room to try out new strategies.

• Locked thread