Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I got the GMG thing and I see a key in my GMG Library. How do I enter my Steam Key to get it activated in Steam so I can launch and play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alkydere posted:

Games drop down menu at the very top -> Activate a product on Steam.

Thanks a ton, totally missed it. In my rush I was clicking every drop down and every button and glossed over that one.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any plans that anyone knows of to change some of the older Civ's abilites or units? I am starting up my first game and looking each one over and America, Byzantium, Spain and Sweden in particular seem super underpowered. I get an extra belief with a religion with Theodora, great, but that doesn't seem to quite be as powerful as DOUBLE TRADE ROUTES or BUYING CITY STATES. Same with the others I listed above. They seem to be just outclassed in every way.

At least the war-like Civs like Aztec, Huns, Zulu all make sense. They don't get other bonuses, but their role is warfare through and through. The others like America just seem like....meh. Extra sight and cheaper tile buy. Yay, I guess?

Edit: Put Greece in there too. When other civs can literally buy the city state or at the least, influence them cheaper, what good is the degradation of influence bonus?

Double Edit: What happens if you capture a city as Assyria and you've out teched them? Nothing?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ohhh I totally misunderstood the Spain one. I thought it was a double FIRST TIME BONUS ONLY. If it's double all bonuses, then yeah, totally. But, like Venice and others, it relies on a good world gen. If all the city states or NW are in terrible places or right next to enemies, it can go sour real quick.

I haven't begun really digging in yet, so I'll have to see what the Piety tree does. Still a lot to learn.

And yeah, Great Person generation and all that...I dunno. It's nice for sure, but compared to some other unique stuff that other civs get it really does seem underwhelming.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've only ever seen Hiawatha "Afraid" of me. How do I get other guys Afraid of me? Or was it a clever ploy?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a bit confused. I built a cargo ship in my capital after I already have a route out of my capital. It seems that it will cancel the previous route and do the new one....can I only have one route per city? Or am I just doing it wrong? I want all the routes from my capital since its the only one with excess gold and hammers to potentially give out.

Also why are all my routes ONLY allowing food to go out? Why not internal gold trade?

Edit: I also thought they made it way more efficient so the turns aren't so long. Did they undo that efficiency change? My turns are taking a while and my machine is no slouch.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm really having fun here. But goddam I feel a bit over whelmed! I'm going for a culture victory so I'm doing the best I can. I'm Pocatello on an archipelago map (always play random) and was friends with everyone. Then Boudicca backstabs me and has a MASSIVE army and takes one of my cities! I've never EVER had that happen to me before. Backstabbed, sure, but an actual decent assault force? What the hell? 3 swordsmen, 3 horsemen, 2 composite bows, and 3 catapults. Knocked me right the gently caress out, and I didn't have any units over there because we were friends.

Now we'll see how well the AI defends, because I'm taking my city back and her holy city. They will love me and my tourism.

Or they will die.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone explain the unhappyness/revolt mechanic to me? I'm a bit unsure.

I have a MASSIVE tourism thing going on with 206 a turn. Ethopia is the only one I'm not influential with yet, and he's way behind on 54 a turn. However, I've decided to become a glorious dictatorship of the proletariat while he clings to his guns and religions and his stupid Freedom. No matter, I am happier and have more tourism going. However, I notice in the culture victory screen has has some unhappiness of about -8. Is that directly related to my happiness? Or is it just a small bit because of my happiness? Like, if I make my citizens even happier will his become increasingly unhappy, or is that number just a set value of 8 based on where we are in the game? I want to know if I should invest in making my citizens even happier than they are now, or if that effort is best directed towards science or something.

Thanks!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jastiger posted:

Can someone explain the unhappyness/revolt mechanic to me? I'm a bit unsure.

I have a MASSIVE tourism thing going on with 206 a turn. Ethopia is the only one I'm not influential with yet, and he's way behind on 54 a turn. However, I've decided to become a glorious dictatorship of the proletariat while he clings to his guns and religions and his stupid Freedom. No matter, I am happier and have more tourism going. However, I notice in the culture victory screen has has some unhappiness of about -8. Is that directly related to my happiness? Or is it just a small bit because of my happiness? Like, if I make my citizens even happier will his become increasingly unhappy, or is that number just a set value of 8 based on where we are in the game? I want to know if I should invest in making my citizens even happier than they are now, or if that effort is best directed towards science or something.

Thanks!

I think I might have figured it out. I know they are unhappy because of my ideology..but its unclear as to how much its effecting them. Germany is upset but we both have Order and my culture is dominant on him, so I'm not sure if he's upset because my culture is dominant or because of something else.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
In relation to my previous post, what does having "Dominant" culture do for you, since Influential is all that is required to win?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sacro posted:

Mouse over things in the ideologies screen and it will show you what you're asking. Basically each level of tourism influence over a civ with a different ideology will produce some pressure for them to switch to your ideology. World Ideology also gives some pressure. The pressure influences the revolt risk level which gives scaling unhappiness penalties for how much pressure there is to switch. If a civ drops below 20 unhappiness and has ideological revolt pressure, cities will start flipping to the nearest civ that is influential and holds the ideology they want. Dominant just provides more pressure than influential.

Also, your tourism is not fighting against other civ's tourism. Your tourism needs to beat enemy civ's total culture.

Right, I get that, but I wanted to know how MY happiness scaled with their unhappiness. Why was it -8 and not -20? Is it the more happy I am the less happy they are, or is it all about the pressure exerted (familiar/popular/influential/dominant)?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gully Foyle posted:

So the way it works is that there are five levels of tourism influence (based on your tourism v. their culture) as below.
0 - Unknown
1 - Exotic
2 - Familiar
3 - Popular
4 - Influential
5 - Dominant

Once ideologies roll around:

If you have different ideologies: it compares your influence you have on the AI with the influence the AI has on you. So if you have influential on them, but they only have familiar on you, you are exerting +2 'force' on them. This is done for every other civ that has a different ideology.
If you have the same ideology: again, influence is compared, but the difference is now used to prop them up (lets call it 'defense').

Now, all of the 'force' on the civ is compared to all of the 'defense' on the civ. If force > defense, then the civ will start to suffer happiness penalties. There are different levels of this:
0 - Content (defence is equal or better than force) - 0 unhappiness
-1 - Dissidents - Highest of: 1 unhappiness/city or 1 unhappiness/10 pop
-2 - Resistance - Highest of(I think) 2/city or 1/5 pop
-3 - Revolutionary Wave - Highest of 4/city or 1/3 pop

The level corresponds to the amount of force compared to defense. If you force them below -20 unhappiness this way, their cities may start to flip to the civ with the dominant ideology. Another option is to switch ideologies, but they lose all the tenets in the old tree (I believe, not sure about that). And even swtiching might not save them, if both alternate ideologies are putting out lots of pressure.

Awesome, thanks that is super helpful.

Are achievements broken right now? They are all locked and I know I've done a lot of these in my last few playthroughs and nothing is showing up. No mods, bought on GMG, unlocked on Steam.

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 12, 2013

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have a video or something of a city flipping? I had an enemy down to -20 approval and -19 happiness overall because of my tourism. I declared war and pillaged every single luxury resource he had, and then left, and he was somehow getting POSITIVE happiness! What does a guy gotta do to get an enemy city to flip? It seems like it'd be impossible until the late late late game.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Assyrian siege towers are insane. Same attack power as a trebuchet, buffs nearby units against cities, gets cover by default and has 12 power so it doesn't die easy. Build up archers while bee-lining for mathematics and then go on a murder spree for free gold and techs.

And then rage when you accidentally upgrade to trebuchets and a fully upgraded siege tower dies in one turn. :mad:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I started a huge scale game as Assyria and wanted to give these fabled Siege Towers a go. BABLAM, two and an archer took out like 4 cities! The pillaging of a tech is ridiculously useful too. It allowed me to ignore sea going tech in favor of others and it kept me in the game. Plus the Siege towers themselves can take cities! Holy moly!

However it's really stupid that they lose a lot of their bonuses once you upgrade. I made a few into trebs and they immediately sucked. I can see maybe not giving the adjacent bonus, but they lost their city damage bonus! I literally crippled my own ability to wage war and it was really stupid. They should fix that.

On another note, I ended up losing the game to Poland. I was taking back Babylon to get some extra delegates in the world congress, and Poland literally put units in front of mine after I reduced it, and blocked me from capturing the city. That was some crazy AI right there, has anyone else seen this happen? An opposing civ blocking your capture of a city that you've done all the work assaulting?

Anyway, Poland was bros with literally everyone and ended up winning a diplomatic victory as my units closed in on his capital. It really irks me that he was able to be friends with literally everyone and it handed him the victory. He ran away on a separate continent while I was stymied cleaning out mine. What really took the longest time was Venice. He had bought a city state WAAAAYYY far away so I had to chase him down to take his Freedom loving self out so I had a drop in unhappiness as I was Autocracy. Really the only thing that kept me back so long was indeed my unhappiness in the earlier ages.

A few questions in addition to the one above, is it better to puppet a city that has a luxury resource or just raze it anyways? Is that a net happiness gain or loss? Is it better to run melee units at a city or just wait until you can get artillery? How does one really have success with a domination victory on a huge map? It seemed that even if my wars went perfectly, the literally time to travel the world would have let the enemies build up enough to make it very difficult for me (endless AI bombers, grawr).

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KingKapalone posted:

When you try to trade a luxury resource, does it just trade one if you have two? You should only trade them if you have multiples, right?

It sounds like there is a lot more war at the higher difficulties. That's just inevitable? Always have to have an army ready? I was asking before about getting denounced whenever I annihilated someone, but I guess that doesn't apply to when the AI does it?

Its possible to trade your last resource, so if it says (1) next to it, you're trading away your last of that specific resource.

Otherwise, yes trade for a resource you don't have!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So uh....

The game's pathfinding did that to my galleass. There's nothing I can do to save it, right? Seems like I have to disband it because the game won't let me end the turn without moving it, but it can't move.

I had this happen with a unit I had once and I had to disband it. Nothing else worked. I guess you could declare war and tell us what happens. Maybe it'll move it automatically outside his borders? Or will it immediately start combat with the city? Otherwise its gift or disband :(

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What is the benefit of proving the world is round? In Civ 4 you got bonus movement. In Civ 5?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo. Impi. Like, MEGA powerful. They are moving two tiles through forest and throwing their goddam spear first strike thingies at all my guys like its nothing. They are basically getting a free attack for every adjacent unit without committing to Melee. I went into a war thinking I got this, but with like 6 free attacks a turn, I'm not so sure. It is almost like they get to do it even if they are out of moves to melee. I have got to get me some of those.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I genuinely don't get how the AI does the CS thing. I try to be allies with the CS's near me, but it doesn't matter. Alexander in particular manages to snag the CSs anyways. I know his UA has his influence deteriorate half as fast, but it seems a bit silly that he's able to somehow complete every quest, give enough gold, and do just the right things to snatch the alliance with every CS.

How do they do it? How do you guys do it? I don't exactly have the funds to dish out 250 gold every time they near friendship loss levels of influence.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not some uber game loyalty type person, and I'm not afraid to point out chinks in a games armor, but that Tom Chick review was poorly written, terribly shallow, and useless. He poo poo's every system going on rambling rants on how Firaxis is dumb or whatever. Why do people give that guy money to write?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Has there been any announcement of any kind of patch or some such in order to maybe tweak some of the tech trees or whatever?

Does Firaxis do this?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think they could tweak some really minor stuff. Maybe improve the explanation of tourism and culture victories. Change the interface layout of the trade routes so it isn't a chore to scroll through. I know you can order it highest to lowest, but sometimes you don't want to trade that one cuz you're going to go to war or whatever.

Maybe make Liberty a bit more on par with Tradition. Same with Piety. Reformation is powerful, but its kind of underwhelming, and you have to take the whole tree just to get to the only really good one, Reformation. I feel like Piety and to a lesser extent Honor are out-of-the-way trees designed to help specialize, especially short term/early game, and I don't feel like it does that enough.

Give swordsmen their city attack bonus or some other reason to make them over pikemen. Contemplate changing the way siege units work as far as starting with Cover/Cover 2/Siege/Siege 2 so they aren't just weaker Composite Bowmen. I shouldn't be skipping the entire siege line until Artillery because bowmen are literally better in every way.

Maybe tweak some UU/UA/UB in some of the ways discussed in this thread (and others).

The major thing I would look at is the way city states work. As someone mentioned earlier, diplomatic victory is basically throw around a lot of cash and thats that. It always seems one civ gets all the CS's bought up and there isn't anything anyone else can do about it unless they have gobs of money. Maybe have proximity and have religion/culture/tourism play more into it so a big ole bag of money doesn't undo the work you may have done cultivating a relationship. This way diplomatic victories aren't so assured for early allies of CS's and can change hands if you work at it from a different angle than money.

Make it run faster like it did with that last patch.

Add more map types and customization options. I want a Continents map with more than 2 sizable continents and I don't want all CS's out on islands.

I guess that is a lot of stuff, hehe. But it's all patchable and aren't major re works of systems. Just a few nudges here and there. I'm sure we can all pick apart any list, but the fact that there seems to be a lot of things, mostly minor, that people would change, I don't see why a patch wouldn't be incoming.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Building on my last post, I wish they could patch in some more modifiers for the "Warmonger" status. I've only declared war once, and been declared on once. Both with the Zulu's and both times with me ending out better off with an extra city or two,and the second time because someone else went in with me. Yet people think I am the warmonger and that I am the rear end in a top hat flinging Impi everywhere. Now everyone but a few have denounced me and think I'm a huge jerk.

I wish they could make the war time stuff a bit more nuanced and a lot harder to love/hate you or other AI's.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ok that is it. Alexander must die in EVERY GAME. I hate finding him in a game with me. As I mentioned before he just nabs all the CS and there is nothing I can do about it. I complete the quest, give money, and somehow or other Alexander grabs them. Then, I go to war with them and suddenly I have all these little pockets of resistance throughout the world ransacking my trade routes and harassing my units en route to the front line. It's like his own personal guerrilla army. On top of that he is currently sending Generals to surround my city. He is literally going to surround my city and cut it off from the rest of my civilization. There is absolutely nothing I can do about it since we're on a peace treaty. Stupid AI actually being smart tactically.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Verviticus posted:

He probably has a city behind your territory. I had a game where I was warring Russia and they snuck a city behind me, and for the entire war they were sending waves of settlers/workers/great generals at me, which intensified as they lost more and more ground. I thought it was fitting insane AI behavior for Russia until I found that city

He might have a city behind Rome, which may make sense according to your experience. I just took Kiev, his ally CS as a base to attack his capital. We fought and stalemated a bit and he was out teching me militarily. So we declared peace and now I have two Citadels blocking off access to Kiev. It is a good strategy because I was using that space to send more troops to the front lines. Now I have to go around or wait till I get airports to drop em in Kiev.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Another change that should be made is that trade caravans or ships should be able to be stopped or rerouted at any time with a possible diplo hit. It frustrates me to no end to know my units are on a trade route, and then some CS or the civ I'm about to go to war with takes it out. I KNOW this route is unsafe, its impossible for me to move my units in to protect it without war. It's an automatic loss of trade route for me and free gold for them. Its silly. I should be able to stop and start them at any time to avoid having them be immediate casualties.

Edit: Also is it a bug when I get "Great Musician/Great Writer" instead of a named guy? They are unable to create great works and can only be used to do a concert/write a treatise/start a golden age?

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 28, 2013

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Seriously this game infuriates me. Again I'm on the cusp of losing because Alexander has an impenetrable block of City-State alliances that can NOT be broken. So the rest of the world watches foolishly while he dances his way to a diplomatic victory. There has to be a better way to break these kind of diplomatic lock-ins.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

That is what I've been trying to do. It will take more turns to kill him than it will for the UN vote to go through. I'm reloading before I declare peace and I'm going to exterminate his CS allies.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Once I had to eradicate every last ethiopian city from a medium subcontinent across the ocean on a huge map in 10 turns to stop him from winning an inevitable diplo victory. It does help that I had a huge invasion blob of mechanized infantry, rocket artillery, battleships and subs full of ICBMs offshore already but I hadn't even declared war yet. In the end after spending all my gold on more ICBMs and shuffling them madly around the world over a network of midpoint subs I dropped my last nuke on his last city as my last move on the last turn before the UN vote and erased that gently caress from the ballot. Where's your god now Haile Selassie? Where is your god now?!

Obviously that's not always possible, but I think the lesson here is that you want to kill Alexander early because if he survives to the endgame you'll never be friends with a citystate again. He's a belligerent rear end in a top hat who will denounce everyone and backstab his friends so he's an easy target for early group denouncement teambuilding exercises

I guess so. I just feel so cheated because I"m doing so well in every aspect, but here he is. All his CS bro's gonna vote him leader.

And this is SERIOUSLY pissing me off. Brazil and him are NOT super best buds and have differing ideologies. However, Brazil is putting a defensive barrier of HIS units around ALEX'S units so I can't directly assault Alex's capital. It's all but reduced, but Brazil keeps putting his BS units in the way so I can't wage war effectively against Alex. Is this intentional?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What do I have to do to get those stupid barbarians to convert to me. I've adopted Heathen Conversion and have a missionary parked right next to a barbarian archer and axe dude and nothing is happening. They aren't capturing him and they aren't converting. What else do I need to do?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Speedball posted:

Just tested out Heathen Conversion a few minutes ago. My one missionary has converted five or six barbarians in five turns, including one galley, just by bumping into them. It seems like a good way to get a cheap army really quickly and a no-hassle way of killing barbarians at the same time. Early-game you could use it to make your forces swell. It also immediately destroys a barb camp. Late-game, though, I can see this ability becoming obsolete. You'd need to play with a heavy military-religion focus to get the most out of it.

The only problem was, I needed to neglect both Tradition and Liberty to get Piety this far unlocked this fast. Probably should have taken just the Tradition opener first. Some other civs like to prioritize going full piety as soon as they can, and that takes away reformation beliefs.

Strange. I've had my missionary parked next to a barbarian encampment and unit for 3 turns now and nothing. They aren't attacking, but they aren't being converted either. I should note that I'm NOT the founder of the religion, only that it spread to me. Do I not get the reformation belief bonus?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I just noticed with my Venice game is that you can't pick an ideology until you get to Modern age. Is there a way around this? I'm ahead in tech, but I don't have 3 cities to build factories in, only Venice and puppets.

Is this an intentional set back?

Edit: NM Speedball answered it, thanks!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kyrosiris posted:

You can purchase the factories in puppets. Buying them counts as "building" them.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I have a factory in all 4 of my city states and Venice and I have no option to choose an ideology.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The idea of the world allying against a single civ or maybe two that refuse to respect the current world leader vote is actually totally awesome. It could lock everyone that is in the world congress into perma war with anyone that denies the leadership vote.

It could screw you over by isolating you, but If your revolutionary civilization has the grit, it could over come the diplomatic victory of another. Its hard enough that you would rarely want to do it, but possible enough for those determined not to bow to the world order.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah as Venice, bought a factory in EVERY city state I puppeted and I am unable to select an ideology. Its kind of pissing me off. I feel like potentially being the last to adopt an ideology is a pretty big negative for Venice. I hit industrial and factory tech way before everyone else, but my inability to select an ideology is putting me in pretty much last place to pick one now.

Grrrrr.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

uPen posted:

How many city states did you puppet?

4. It did finally pop and ask me for ideology but only after a good 5 or 6 turns after I've bought a factory in all cities. I dunno what happened.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Muscle Tracer posted:

Did it pop when you hit the Modern era, then? I've had to do that before due to not having any coal, and not being able to get any in trade, though I've never had that factory bug.

No, I was eventually able to, but I was expecting to have to wait until I hit modern. Must have been a bug.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hate to post again so soon, but holy poo poo this AI. I was Venice, the ultimate bro. As long as you opened your trade borders with me, its all good.

Then Sulieman wants to plop cities everywhere. I had a bigger army, so I didn't care. I notice an antiquity site in the newly plopped city near my borders. It turned out to be a Venetian artifact, but he didn't care he asked me not to take his poo poo.

I said deal with it, and put on my Enrico Shades.

Then he denounces me.

Then Germany denounces me.

Then Japan denounces me.

Then Siam denounces me.

Then Brazil denounces me.

Then Russia denounces me.

Then Indonesia denounces me.

Then Songhai denounces me.

Then Morocco denounces me.

I had DoFs with every single one of these civs and now the entire world except Kamehameha hates me. Consequently me and Kamehameha share freedom, most of the others are Order/Autocracy and three of them don't have an ideology at all yet.

Why the hell are they all dog piling on me, the non war having, fun loving, gold trading Venice and not on the warmongering, border expanding, not-bro-to-CSs Germany? I have a larger army, have been nothing but kind to everyone and now everyone hates me.

What would set all of this off? This is so crazy to have all my long time friends all denounce me at once.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thing is they still otherwise like me. The only negative modifier is "They Denounced us" and maybe "A Civ we like better than you Denounced you!" It's so weird. Now Catherine won't even do open borders again. So frustrating. I have a huge army and am thinking of scrubbing off Sulieman's cities he's shat out near me, but otherwise I"m a peace bro. Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you lose your original capital, does the new capital get all the capital bonuses of extra production and food? Or is that reserved for the old capital?

• Locked thread