Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Civfanatics GMG thread is surprisingly tame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm just a little bit annoyed that I'd rather be playing the game now than later. But I can take it.

I remembered when I ordered the boxed G&K at launch on Amazon with same-day-shipping. I didn't get it until that evening, though the case itself looked nice and had a fold-out tech tree.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Not sure if the music has been posted in the new thread, but they're now up on composer Geoff Knorr's official website, along with the actual song titles:
http://geoffknorr.com/Video%20Games.html

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Sometimes I do things besides actually playing the game.

Leaders Timeline:

Full size
Transparent version

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Skyl3lazer posted:

I would love a giant version of this
Sadly, IMGUR adds JPG artifacts to my largest version of this, but if you want to go nuts...
http://imgur.com/a/OuY68

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

victrix posted:

Try cubeupload, I don't think it compresses
I preshrunk them before putting them together. http://i.cubeupload.com/uoZKzy.png

uPen posted:

The fullsize versions look fine, it's just the thumbnails that get messed up.
They didn't mess up each small one, just the pic of them all together.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I guess my major game was unusual because ideologies felt like they were only marginal diplomatic factors, with people from other ideologies still wanting to be friends with me. And people with the same ideology still went to war with each other. (Yeah, yeah, I know... Sino/Soviet split IRL) I thought changing ideologies should have done more to reset most diplomatic relations.

It's actually good to know ideologies are more divisive in most people's games.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Remember that image of the cleaned-up versions of all the icons I made a week back? Well, I wasn't fully happy with it (Translation: I have selective OCD), so I "fixed" what I saw were some mistakes and here's a new version:

More versions of the image: http://imgur.com/a/OuY68

I slightly fixed the German, Japanese, Mayan, French, Ottoman, and Persian icons. If you previously saved an old version, I kindly ask you to delete the old one and save this instead. Now, hopefully, I won't force myself to go through this annoying process again until they decide to release a new expansion.

Edit: Fixed image again. OCD.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 6, 2013

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

You must hate the Zulu icon.

Seriously love this, though. Thanks for the update.

E: Is there any way you could satisfy my little OCD complex and rotate the icons for the prime iPhone portrait look?
Give me a few days to work on it.

It took me a while just to arrange the icons in a matter where too many similar colors weren't adjacent to each other. Unless you're willing to break IMMERSION and pretend the hex grid goes North/South rather than East/West.

Edit: Just spotted an mistake in the circle version. Gonna fix now. :smithicide:

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 30, 2013

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Platystemon posted:

Here you go:

http://i.imgur.com/X5cLaZQ.png

It’s the same link. :ssh:

Slightly updated version of the chart:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=11584962

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Anyone else wish Rome had more dickish personality factors?

In the past threads at least, we don't hear too much fun stories about Augustus. It's always Alexander. I really want to see Rome expand by both war and settlers in the classical era; and be dickish enough about it to possibly force most of its neighbors to try to wipe it out. I want to see Rome do more backstabbing and be interesting enough of a factor that its archaeological legacy lives on in antiquity sites even it gets wiped out early on.

I know the game isn't supposed to simulate history, but I feel like if Rome's in a random game, it should have variables that permit it to grow into a bigass power, not some marginal and ignorable European state in its own niche of the world which it usually ends up being in my games at least.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I only knew Sejong was from back in a class in college because he introduced the Hangul alphabet, which seemed like a pretty cool thing to do.

Also, Attila did nothing wrong.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
They're still quite upset Austria and England took the "White on Red" color scheme.

And I'm sure there are probably plenty of Serbian nationalists on Civfanatics too.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I simply don't play MMOs and I dislike it when IPs of stuff I like get turned into an MMO and I can't support the brand.

The only thing appealing about this is sometimes I wish I could physically explore the Civ I built, walk through the streets and see all the wonders of my cosmopolitan city. But I'm not going to invest in an MMO to do this. Since it's a different studio doing this, fortunately it won't affect development of the next Civ5 expansion or Civ6 that much hopefully.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Will Poland be playable in Civ Online? How about Serbia?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I just hope if they're changing the American UA, it'll still be called "Manifest Destiny" and be designed around that. It just seems so right to have the U.S. in the game defined entirely by expanding like dicks and pushing everyone out of its way.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I haven't seen this religion name done yet...

It's spreading everywhere... :smithicide:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Grand Fromage posted:

Does Really Advanced Setup not work properly with BNW? I keep getting civs in my game that I disabled. gently caress off Greece and Austria I want a diplomatic victory. :argh:
What you're talking about sounds like a mod. You can't disable which civs you don't want to pop up randomly, you can only pick which civs you DO want to see in the game.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Well there was that "Conquest of the New World" scenario, as well as Civ4 Colonization.

I do think colonies and colonial rebellions could be implemented in the main game in an interesting way without going the full Europa Universalis-levels of complexity on it. I'd simply want to see something like that if that means we'd get Gran Colombia and Haiti as civs.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Krazyface posted:

Are the Cradle of Civilisation map packs worth getting? I don't want to just rush in and waste $2.96.
Short answer: No. Unless if you're a completionist. Then wait until they're 75% off.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Willie's shoes are a bit weird because the statue that his appearance in the game seems to be mostly based off of (one at The Hague, copy at Rutgers) actually doesn't have those shoes.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Nixon is my serious leader choice for America after Lincoln and Washington.

Every U.S. president has committed war crimes and abused their power. Nixon was just so transparent about it. There's a certain aspect of his personality that just feels so quintessential and machiavellian for a Civ leader, unlike FDR or JFK.

And the leader scene would simply be awesome. :allears:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Captain Oblivious posted:

So, the Civilization wiki has been less than helpful for this: Could anyone point me towards a collection of recent patch notes? Just trying to see what's changed since I played.
Here ya go.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It looks like we're getting no more expansions for Civ5.

civfanatics link

Ga1Friday posted:

Hello everyone.
AS mentioned by EaglePursuit I will be here to give more information about Civilization V Complete as it becomes available. Right now I can confirm that Civilization V Complete is coming soon and will be available on 02/04/2014 in North America and 02/07/2014 for rest of world.
-Kate
(from Amazon Germany)
The thread dug up details of what looks like an upgrade of the Conquest of the New World scenario, "Conquest of the New World Deluxe".

Maybe they'll keep patching the game, but when it comes to new content and civs, I guess it's goodbye to Civ5. :(

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I like having 43 civs, and would prefer not going back to a small handful of civs if it's possible. If they're keeping the "full screen leader scene" thing in VI, I wonder if it's possible to make many of the flavor assets from Civ5 forward-compatible.

Obviously Civ VI should have the basic staple civs anyway (Rome, Egypt, Arabia, China, Greece, France, England, etc.) but all of those civs have other viable leaders that could come with Civ6 vanilla. They can substantially change all the abilities of Civ5 civs/leaders to make them work with VI's new mechanics. Too much work? Probably, but I'm throwing the idea out there anyway.

I play the game for flavor just as much as strategy; I'm not a game designer so there's so much I'd ask Civ6 to change gameplay wise. The biggest thing I guess is somehow making tactical movement more fluid, even during the ancient era. It's still annoying having to organize units, make them clear a barbarian camp, and have it all take a few hundred years. Advance Wars was a big inspiration for Civ5's 1UPT, but most Advance Wars units don't move only 1-2 tiles per a turn.

Whatever their plans are for Civ6, its vanilla will need to be a fuckton better than Civ5 vanilla. A lot of people ended up hating 5 despite its initial good reviews, and they might have a "Fool me once" attitude even if VI gets reviewed well.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 26, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
New details regarding the updated scenario:

Ga1Friday posted:

Hello there everyone. I have some additional information for you about The Conquest of the New World Deluxe Scenario which as you have deduced was codenamed "Bison" :)

•The Conquest of the New World Deluxe Scenario will be included in Civilization V: Complete
•The Conquest of the New World Deluxe Scenario will be available for FREE via Steam to everyone who already owns a copy of Brave New World
•The Conquest of the New World Deluxe Scenario will be attached for FREE to anyone who purchases Brave New World going forward as a bonus
Not sure how the scenario will change though. Will they add some of the expansion civs?

I'm really hoping for a big surprise in Complete like a bonus 44th civ just to say goodbye to Civ5, though that's probably asking for too much.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Bashez posted:

Is this only in the scenario or is it in the normal game as well? That sounds super powerful.
Scenario, replacing the riders UU.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
twitch.tv/2k is streaming the Conquest Deluxe scenario now, for those who rather watch than play.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Xbox Gold users can download Civilization Revolution for free this month. For a few friends of mine it was their "Civ gateway" game.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm still waiting for that guy to make a Haitian civ.

I've seen a half dozen different Inuit mods for Civ5. It's a reasonably popular idea on civfanatics without the loaded nationalism you see from most of their suggested civs; I'm really hoping Firaxis will just embrace them for Civ6. They skirmished with the vikings, after all.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
From a thematic standpoint, I find America's 19th century dickishness as a good way to design its civ in the game. I thought the leader choices in Civ4 played up WWII and the 20th century too much. Too bad Civ5 America is simply not balanced, though.

Funny how it seems like a lot of the people on Civfanatics crying that "America is not a real civilization" dropped their flags once Brazil was brought into the fold. (As I said before, I want more American post-colonial states represented as civs. It's a better way to represent the modern world than all the WWII leaders.)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I wasn't a big fan of the initial DLC. It complicated compatibility issues with multiplayer and discouraged major improvements that the expansions eventually remedied. It felt like microtransactions, which really doesn't feel too good for Civ.

I hope CivVI sticks with big expansions.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Honestly, there's been many videos and rants that cover what that video is saying about the Civ games. I don't think it's really shedding new light on the series that hasn't been stated elsewhere, but I guess it's a nice summary of the game's politics nonetheless. To the game's credit, it you could argue the game encourages skepticism, by portraying the cynical aspects of social "reforms", religion, patronizing arts and science, etc.

I actually wouldn't mind if Civ6 takes a drastic turn and attempts "A People's History of Civilization" angle of the history of humanity. I'd like to see all nationalist players flip out.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
One thing that almost caught my interest in CivRev2, apparently there are some new leaders.

John F. Kennedy was a handsome politician.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Looks like CivRev2 is on the iOS store now.

I'm not paying $15 for it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Sanctum posted:

I started a game with none of the expansions to see what Civ5 was like vanilla and what is this garbage? Also why do my crossbowmen die to like a single knight?

At least I can trade all my resources for flat gold and then declare war to cancel the deal, that is pretty fun actually. Hard to feel guilty about cheesing the AI when it's Gandhi.
At least it still had the pre-G&K patches.

I still have no clue what the hell "Pact of Secrecy" was supposed to do, but it seems like neither did Firaxis.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This may or may not have been posted in the Beyond Earth thread, but this sounds really cool.

Someone go there dressed as Wu Zetian.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 25, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
For those who still care about leader choices, they put up the video of Ed Beach at Firaxicon explaining the leader choices in BNW. It doesn't really shed too much new light on details of the civilization choice process if you've been following BNW closely, but it might be of some interest for fans of the Inuit, Canada, or Australia.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I have an unusual request. I've looked in the game files, but I couldn't find the native .png file of the German building Hanse, which was patched in a while ago. Can someone find the 256x256 icon of it without the border around it? It might be part of a larger icon index image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Make Haiti a civilization in the game. It's time for Toussaint Louverture to shine. And don't make Teddy Roosevelt the American leader. (Too early to argue about this?)

Glad Ed Beach is the lead designer.

• Locked thread