Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Well, there goes me trying to win a game before BNW came out because IT'S DOWNLOADING :pcgaming:

Should never have put it on Epic...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
This should go in the OP re: GMG buyers

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Fuuuuuck, did they change Great Wall? Poland rushed it early and so I just traded with them until my gigantic capital could pump out enough toy soldiers a turn to overwhelm them, and I was looking forward to researching Dynamite, then I finally get it, and I'm still having the time of my life slogging through his territory one tile at a time. Or does HE have to research Dynamite? Because if so, that's rear end-backwards.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Triskelli posted:

Bingo. I say we make a petition.

What, do they blow up their own walls for me? :ughh:

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
I still don't have a loving clue how the new culture system works, aside from the rebalanced Policy trees (I don't get Ideologies though), but with some guesswork with Tradeposts and the loving amazing team of Petra and Kasbahs as far as the eye can see, I had so much gold, at one point I said "gently caress it" because Poland thought he could start colonizing around me, and now I'm just picking away at him with an unstoppable tide of Riflemen I bought with my absurd amounts of money. The only reason I caught up to him with his triple-score lead on me is with dumb amounts of cash.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
gently caress Poland and the veritable gauntlet of Galleasses that were/are pounding the poo poo out of my troops, literally ever coast tile had one, making me lose Lodz two turns after I'd captured it, and 90% of the force I had trying to take Warsaw. Also, gently caress Siam and their candyass Elephants sitting around doing dick and taking up siege space.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
gently caress Poland and the veritable gauntlet of Galleasses that were/are pounding the poo poo out of my troops, literally every coast tile had one, making me lose Lodz two turns after I'd captured it, and 90% of the force I had trying to take Warsaw. Also, gently caress Siam and their candyass Elephants sitting around doing dick and taking up siege space.

Protagorean fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 10, 2013

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
I think the entire "selecting a Host for the World Congress" thing is a farce, because I've yet to see the AI not vote for itself. All I can do is vote for my buddy Harun to give the middle finger to that rear end in a top hat Boudicca.

e: I take that back. Arabia threw all it's votes behind me the one time I throw all my votes behind it. :ughh:

Protagorean fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 10, 2013

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Kooriken posted:

There's an :xcom: achievement for having your XCOM squad die from full health in a single turn. This game is glorious.

Glorious...

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
This game really punishes you for not babysitting your trade routes. In three turns, all but two of my trade routes were devastated by the Celts and their loving pirate ships. I poo poo you not, they are made of wood, and, supposedly, at the Atomic Era I'm using kilometer-long cargo haulers, and they're being marauded by sailboats.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Man, my Morocco game isn't even FAIR. I'm pumping out so much Gold, Production, Research, Tourism, and Culture, I could win any which way I want. A Domination or Cultural victory would probably take the longest, though I've already gotten Dido to wear my blue jeans just from trading, and I'm still a ways away from the top of the tech tree or most of the SS modules. I have so much cash that I've bought out almost every City-State in the world, and have more than enough to win the World Leader election in five turns. Trade routes and kasbahs own bones.

e: I think the AI really likes the new Diplomat spy option, because my Special Agent hasn't had to bust any heads in at least a hundred turns, when I've got like 4 cities with 5-star potential, whereas in my last G&K game I was killing fools and having my allies coup'd every other turn.

Protagorean fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 11, 2013

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

nessin posted:

This completely dropped off my radar for some reason, and I load up Steam again and see stuff going on Civ V only to find out it's the expansion releasing. Is there a good write-up somewhere with details on what's changed?

How about the loving OP?

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't know about you guys, but I haven't noticed the AI missing a beat re: expansion since BNW hit. My last game, I still got to play "hunt for the last city" when going for a domination victory because Russia and the U.S. decided they wanted to colonize single-tile islands and the loving South Pole, and I hadn't researched Satellites yet.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

A Tartan Tory posted:

God drat, Morocco OCC with an almost full desert hills start and you managing to snag petra is pretty much the most hilariously good city ever.

My first Moroccan game, I set up on a river delta with flood plains with, like, four citrus tiles. Used those along with Tradition and Fertility Rites to get a swole as gently caress city that none of the other civs ever got close to matching in population; after rushing Petra and then Chivalry, I was rolling in gold and production, and still growing every 5 or 6 turns by the time I won a Diplomacy victory.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Inspector_71 posted:

Elizabeth's rear end has been writing checks her face can seriously not cash.

Shortly after this check on her welfare I nuked three of her cities off the map and took London.

(EDIT: The reason for her abysmal GPT was her insistence on maintaining a huge navy, which was completely useless as it was locking into an inland sea (because she didn't build a city on a 1 tile wide spit) while Standing Army Tax was in effect since the first round of the World Council. The Navy was entirely sunk within 3 turns once the war started.)

Why on Earth do you have that much money? :aaa: Do you just not buy anything, and then use it as a swimming pool like Scrooge McDuck? Or are you really into the idea of rainy-day funds? Or have I been doing it wrong this whole time, spending it nearly as fast as I make it, so even at 800+ GPT I never have more than maybe 4K on hand for bidding wars with City-States.

Also:

Prop Wash posted:

Dick move, Steam.

Just poo poo all over my pre-order. I didn't even get a loving hat!

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

saint gerald posted:

Try reloading the Steam client.

"Mix-up," my rear end. Still there it was, waiting in my invetory.

But I already HAVE Civ IV. And all of the expansions. :smith:

Oh, and to people saying Beyond the Sword was the best expansion pack, counterpoint: no Leonard Nimoy. :colbert:

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Red Red Blue posted:

People were actually that upset about BNW being in the flash sale? It's just a couple loving dollars, holy poo poo

:pcgaming: PC gamers. :pcgaming: Also some stuff about loyalty I guess?

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Inspector_71 posted:

Will the AI ever vote for anybody not themselves when it comes to WC host? Even friendly civs that I am influential over just throw all their delegates at voting for themselves.

I whined about this a few dozen pages back, and after experimenting, learned that they will, though I have no idea how or why. On the first vote, everyone voted for themselves; after a quicksave reload, I decided to back my buddy Arabia, but we lost the vote again because he threw all his votes behind me so we were back at square one; after ~10 reloads, I finally got Arabia to give me their 8 votes, but still lost at a tie with Celts for WC host.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Jedit posted:

Gold production is so dependent on trade in BNW that I strongly suspect that if you get embargoed, you may as well just quit unless you're about to win the game anyway.

There should be an option to nationalize everything as a big "gently caress you" to everyone and to counteract how lovely being embargoed is. Like, you're making enough gold to be self-sufficient, but that's at the cost of diplomacy and influence towards a cultural victory (from lost trade routes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Platystemon posted:

The highest I’ve ever gone is 2012, and only because I let the game go on that long to get the “nuke someone as the Maya in 2012” achievement. For all intents and purposes, I’d won the game in the medieval era, and in fact that’s where most of the AIs still were after I relegated them to a single icebound city each.

That's an achievement? :aaaaa: I know who I'm playing as next.

• Locked thread