Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Alkydere posted:

Normally, I'd say on the hill for the production bonus and such. In fact I'm still tempted. Yet at the same time, with that perfect ring of 5 floodplain wheat and 1 sheep with a blank spot in the middle it's hard to resist filling up the empty floodplain.

You can get a windmill later on though if you don't settle on the hill, and the floodplain is a perfectly fine tile to settle on. Especially with all those growth bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Why the gently caress is this game installing DirectX 9? I haven't used DX9 in... years.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Looks like there's a science penalty now for techs to going wide, similar to how there's a culture penalty now for policies if you went wide.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=500109

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Two expansions later and we still don't have a fullscreen windowed option.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

thehumandignity posted:

I don't understand the new Teracotta Army at all. Did they just think it was too boring before?

Yes.

quote:

Why would it do what it does now? It makes no earthly sense.

Why not?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Is it me or are upgrades really common now from goody huts?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Couple observations:

-Fish are the single best resource in the entire game, especially when fully upgraded.
-Jungle tiles loving suck until/unless you get Sacred Path and/or Universities. And I really wish building Plantations on jungle resources didn't chop down the jungle. I grabbed Sacred Path as Brazil, and not only can I not build Brazilwood Camps on Bananas, but building plantations on bananas is just +1 food and isn't really worth the -1 culture.
-I still have no idea how the hell this theming system works and I have like a dozen and half again Great Works.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Brazil quickly became my favorite civ today. Even though I lost in my first game with them (entirely due to me not fully grasping the new Culture system) they were super fun and I was chaining Carnivals. I think I could have salvaged a culture win, but stupid Korea went to space :argh:

Just scored a victory myself as Brasil. Up until the Renaissance they're as generic as you can possibly get - but after that they become really difficult to deal with since Brasilwood Camps are super-tiles. 2 food, 2 gold, 2 science, and 2 culture when you have Universities and Acoustics; 3 culture instead of 2 if you took Sacred Path.

They're not so great with religion, but if you can manage to get a Religion founded, and then jigger the World's Congress to declare your religion the World Religion, your cultural victory should be unstoppable.

edit: Shaka was my absolute best friend in this game, he took out my two neighbors for me (I snapped up Constantinople and Theodora's six Wonders, four of which were sniped from me - thanks Shaka!) and never said a single bad word towards me even though I told him to gently caress off from my city-states several times, on top of having differing Ideologies. That loyalty stat is made to be abused.

edit2: Looking at the endgame graphs and stuff, it looks like the AI cityspam from G&K has been really reined in.

Brannock fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 10, 2013

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I have a feeling that Science Victories are going to be a last resort now even for civilizations like Babylon or Korea. All the other victory types are achievable a few eras earlier - the spaceship seems like it's meant to be a tiebreaker of sorts for situations like Fryhtaning's game where he doesn't really have a hope of converting Germany or taking them out.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Prism posted:

But does the price go up as you buy more of them, like it does for Faith-bought Great People?

It should work the same as buying religious buildings (Cathedrals etc) and religious units (Holy Warriors) with Faith.

e: Speaking of which, I was disappointed to see that many of the religious tenets didn't get an once-over for balance or desirability.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I really like running into Pocatello, he's so chill and relaxed :shobon:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Has anyone played much Indonesia? How do they do? Their UA seems interesting but kinda feels like it hinges on playing an islands map to make the most of.

Even on Continents or Pangaea you can find some islands off the main landmasses. It's basically "You can expand twice for free" if you meet the conditions.

Because of how trade routes work now, you'll have a few random followers of other religions even in your holy cities - but they won't be a threat to your religion, and the Indonesian UB lets you really take advantage of having the varied religions you'll have anyway if you focus on trade.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fintilgin posted:

Is there any bloody way to set a caravan to AUTO-REPEAT DON'T BOTHER ME AGAIN? I feel like I spent a quarter of my game reselecting my twenty caravan routes, it was a pain in the rear end. Even more annoying, it doesn't default to having your previous route at the top or anything, instead it seems to reopen where you were scrolled in the list for your last caravan, and every time one needs to be reassigned you have to scroll up and down the list looking for the tiny white 'previous'.

This drove me nuts too in my Brazil victory the other day. It's okay when you have only a few caravan routes, but when you get 10+ it becomes really annoying.

I wish I could just set caravans to run indefinitely, and be able to change their routes at will, instead of having to update them every 30 turns. Though I guess that would lead to some pretty abusive micromanagement so I suppose the current implementation was more preferable to the developers than that.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It looks like the Great Writer doesn't have a name, so it's possible that you ran out of Great Works to write.

You're playing on a large/huge Earth map with lots of civilizations and cities that could produce Great Writers so that's my best guess.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Radio Talmudist posted:

So it looks like the consensus is that this is an awesome expansion?

Essentially. The big flaw with G&K was that there was dick-all to do lategame other than work towards a science victory. Diplomatic and Culture victories were tepid - BNW completely revamps them and made them actually exciting and engaging.

Lategame used to be my least favorite phase of a match; now it's my favorite.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Does it actually do anything when you say "How dare you?" when a civ asks you to go to war? I don't think I've ever seen a red modifier in the diplomacy tooltip resulting from that response.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Hmm. I don't have any of the additional maps available anymore in Single Player - I only have the default Continents, Archipelago, Pangaea, Fractal, Terra maps available. I could have sworn I was able to use the additional maps in Single Player before; they're available if I set up a game through the mod menu, so I know I still have access to those maps.

Any idea what happened?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I can't really grok what France's supposed to be exceptional at. City of Light seems like an extremely limp bonus, considering it ends up being somewhere between +3 to +18 culture (depending on how many wonders you gobble up and how many Great Works you're able to create) that's only available in one city and only available lategame. Chateaus don't seem like anything special as a tile, though I guess it makes playing defense as France easier while still having usable tile yields?

I guess Chateaus are better than Moai, at least, and Musketeers don't go obsolete as quickly as Maori Warriors? There's that?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Lategame diplomacy gets convoluted as gently caress, especially if it's been fairly peaceful up until then, and you aren't in first place. I had to set up four different deals and make everyone happy so I could embargo Ethiopia, who was the runaway leader and had a dominant world religion. Wish I could ban out his religion, but shutting out his trade is good enough for now.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Huh. I had a city-state gift me a Merchant of Venice. I didn't know the Patronage finisher would let you get Merchants of Venice.

Yes you can use them to buy out city-states. Not that I really want to, their World Congress votes are too valuable.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I actually wish I could lower the number of max religions in a given game, but it's tied to how many players are in the game I think.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fojar38 posted:

So has anyone else noticed that the loading time between the intro cinematic and the main menu has skyrocketed over the past couple of days? Like I can almost hear the entire opening song before the main menu appears.

In the patch released right before BNW hit load times were nearly nonexistent and turn lengths were super low. Since BNW hit they've gone back to about "normal" for G&K.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Diplomacy would be almost instantly fixed if buying out a city state wasn't instant, but rather +influence over a set amount of turns that decreases the further along in eras you go (similar to how World Congress frequency works).

Quest rewards would still be instant influence, thus incentivizing you to do quests even lategame when you have thousands of gold.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
There seems to be many more clusters of luxury resources in BNW compared to earlier versions.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
God damnit I hate dealing with Gustavus Adolphus, fucker is touchy as hell. You can go from 140 turns of friendly relations and alliances, then he throws it all out the window and denounces you and gets everyone else to denounce you. That's if you even managed to get on his good side in the first place, more often than not he just hates me straight up no matter what I do, peace or war.

Fryhtaning posted:

You can do borderless fullscreen in other games and seamlessly move between screens? I'm unable to do that with Civ, Skyrim, or any other true fullscreen game for that matter, unless I'm watching something on another monitor that I never have to interact with. Civ has one of the best fullscreen-windowed modes out there, except when sometimes Windows doesn't hide the taskbar.

What? Civ doesn't have a fullscreen-windowed mode at all. The borders are still visible even if you set a Civ window to your monitor resolution.

As for games where you can borderless-windowed them and alt tab out quickly without it minimizing to taskbar or having visible borders: Dota 2, League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead/2, WoW, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, ...

It should be an industry standard those days given the ubiquity of dual-monitor setups and I'm really surprised that Firaxis still hasn't managed to figure it out for Civ given XCOM has it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Trade is absolutely necessary no matter what play style you're planning on. BNW crippled a lot of the natural ways to get gold that you could rely on before, and if you don't trade you're going to end up starving for gold.

On the upside, this means that you can effectively wager economic warfare on a civilization, giving you a warmongering option that you can use even if you're not keeping up with the bleeding edge of military technology.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wish swordsmen were actually relevant or had some sort of bonus. No point in them requiring iron when Pikemen are resource-free and do the job just as well. +25% to city attack maybe?

I also wish I could "take over" a religion. I wiped out Portugal but took her religion and spread it among all my cities because I didn't invest in religion one bit and I wanted her religion bonuses in the meantime. Portugal is still the founder though, despite them not existing anymore and me owning Lisbon. Although, I figure this is so that a leader gets their religion back when they're liberated from death.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Swordsmen are more useful than pikemen because they don't upgrade into loving lancers. If you're throwing them away then you might as well go with pikemen but if you plan to upgrade through to the endgame you're shooting yourself in the foot not taking the time to get swordsmen, since they'll carry through their upgrades to musketmen, riflemen, and so on.

Pikemen are only objectively better if your enemy has nothing but horses and/or you aren't thinking ahead

Pikemen upgrade into Winged Hussars :getin:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

misguided rage posted:

That button seems pretty useless. If you just straight up propose your gems for his copper he will likely take it.

In experience if they aren't friendly with you, they typically want 3 luxuries for their 1 last luxury. If they're friendly, it's a 2 to 1.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
My games have been extremely peaceful ever since the expansion came out, unless I specifically incite war (one way or another) early on, or I'm in a game with Shaka or Montezuma.

This peace never lasts, though - once the World Congress hits (and especially once ideologies come into play) there's a steady escalation of diplomatic tension that usually explodes into a world war sometime around 1900-1940 AD. :allears:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Has anyone managed to convince another civ (that you did not liberate) to vote for you as either World Congress Host or World Leader?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

PostNouveau posted:

You guys have a civ hit list? Obviously Alexander must die every time, but I also find myself trying to kneecap Ramesses before the modern era. If I don't, he's invariably the runaway civ that challenges me to the end.

Haile Selassie absolutely must be exterminated if I'm trying to play cultural, religious, or going for Freedom. Boudicca and Pacal I'll go out of my way to get them embargoed or wiped out, especially if I'm playing religious.

The rest of them I just deal with on a game-by-game basis, although William of Orange becomes a serious problem way more often than I would have expected.

I feel like whether an AI is dangerous or meaningful has a lot more to do with their personality traits than their uniques, though. A lot of the older civs are pretty bland in terms of personality and end up being pushovers (Bismarck, Suleiman, Catherine, etc) - the ones that aren't tend to have personalities that make them strongly focused (Alexander, Montezuma, Napoleon).

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Bananas are such a goddamn bad tile because Plantations remove the jungle.

They would be passable if banana plantations didn't remove the jungle - this would let you get Sacred Path and University bonuses from bananas. As it is, if I have a jungle city I often don't bother to improve bananas at all so I can keep the jungle tile. The extra 1 food from Plantation simply isn't worth losing the jungle.

On top of Granaries and other resource-boosting buildings giving a bonus to the tile regardless of whether it's been improved, there's no real reason to improve a Banana tile since you get the bonus food from the Granary even if you don't.

They're really only worth it if you get Oral Tradition, but if I have a city in a heavy jungle I'd rather get Sacred Path and non-banana jungle tiles so I can benefit later on from trading posts and universities.

Spices have similar issues, but at least spices give you happiness.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The way France is set up now I think you really want to reroll their starting location a few times until you get a good setup. Chateaus are dependent on luxury spread, and if you get a bad location you could end up with only 2-3 Chateaus for Paris. A good location could give you five/six or more, up to a theoretical maximum of twelve if absolutely everything got rolled perfectly and you have Legendary Start or Abundant Resources to grab six luxuries for Paris.

On top of the UA being very underwhelming if Paris isn't full of Wonders, France is really sensitive to having a good start.

I also can't see a situation where you'd not take Tradition every single time. Looks like Tradition -> Aesthetics -> Exploration is the ideal route.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Just won an OCC culture game as France, where I ended up boxed in by an extremely hostile Bismarck for most of the game. Paris was inland too, so I couldn't really make much use of trade routes - outside Germany, I had only two city-states that I could have sent caravans to. Fortunately Chateaus give craploads of gold!

Chateaus also made an enormous difference in holding off Bismarck's invasions. Paris itself never took a single point of damage through the entire game.

My capital had 500+ culture a turn by Turn 340, and I was pumping out 250 tourism a turn. After I grabbed Plastics, I decided to beeline for Internet to help with overcoming Kamehameha's culture, ended up winning before I picked up the final technology - if I had detoured to pick up Airports then I could have been outputting much more tourism. Ended with a whopping 112,495 total culture created.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ainsley McTree posted:

After a lifetime of religiously sticking to Continents maps, I've decided to finally try out an Archipelago game. Is it safe to assume that the same basic principle of "build ranged units, with some melee for meat shield/city capturing purposes" that applies to land units also applies to the naval game?

For capturing cities, are ranged naval units probably enough, or do I somehow need to work siege weapons into the mix? Since melee naval units can capture cities, is there any particular need to build land units at all? It seems like a navy would be enough to run the map, unless the enemy somehow settles a landlocked tile.

Frigates are pretty much siege and ranged all in one, and they're strong enough that you can get away with not having very many melee ships to protect them. Ships are VERY powerful and the AI has a tough time dealing with naval warfare, to the point where I'll bump up the difficulty one level if I'm playing on a heavy water map.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Heavy Lobster posted:

Somewhere around I think 2020 the game starts dividing up into months of the year, so you actually have way more time than you may think. A standard speed game runs to either 450 or 500 turns, I think.

It's 500 turns, and really it's the turn # that you should be concerned about, not the date.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

RBA Starblade posted:

I wish that there was a step beyond DOF or defensive pacts that has both players in it win if one does or something. A lot of my games has me on a continent with one other civ who never works against me and always had my back and it'd be nice to have the game recognize that our nations were basically one.

Well, you could annex them.

:v:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Being good at Civ is about proper decision-making and not much else (other than general knowledge of the game and its mechanics), and there's no better way to learn to make the right decisions than to be in a situation where if you screw up you're going to be at a big disadvantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What does selecting World Age (3/4/5 billion years) specifically do to map generation? The other options are pretty self-explanatory.

• Locked thread