Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
i've never been a Sailor Moon Watcher but im having a good time with this show y'all. they finally did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Famine Poodle posted:

The inners sneaking around like cartoons while Michiru and Haruka are so mysterious and fabulous they practically glitter... I'm so okay with this season

I always thought the comic and Crystal were better at setting up the split about them being mysterious without being so... I dunno, hamfisted about how much ~cool(er)~ they were than everything/everyone in the existing cast, even when I know that's typical toku marketing of New Characters(tm). I remember it being really bad in the old show, despite them having the curse of needing to be unsuccessful compared to what the main character does, being constantly talked up by everyone and deliberately jobbing the old guard for a bit.

There's a whole discussion blowup about Haruka and Usagi's deal (mostly whether it's fair to just have that as a vehicle for Usagi's plot development, the weird status it puts Haruka and her actual girlfriend at, among other stuff) which I KIND of get because it's an interesting idea buried in... well, soap operatic 'fanservice' Because Shoujo(tm). So it can feel kind of shameless and pandering. But 1) I'm too numbed by a long nerd career of anime for cliches to bite me that hard and 2) after spending a whole season of old show with characters who by their own admission spent a long time doing significantly douchey things, it's not to have a version that doesn't feel the need to indulge in that.

Speaking of, what's with Neptune as a character? She's obviously undewritten in Crystal and in the comic, but even in stuff like the musicals I feel like if any new characters has to put on the chopping block for development or time constraints or whatever it's her, and mostly you'll just see her in tandem with Uranus.

I can see lots of reasons why Haruka would be super-popular with the shoujo fanbase, but is Michiru not that actually popular except to shippers?

keet fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 14, 2016

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
'We outer sailor scouts have heaps more power! We don't need your help!'

*immediately chumped*

Hah. I have to admit I prefer the inner sailor scouts.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I too don't get the appeal of the Outer Senshi.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The Outer Senshi transformation sequence's animation kinda sucks, unfortunately. Toei toeing up again.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Viz is keeping *mostly* silent on S. But apparently we'll finally have more information come Anime Expo. Got to see a wonderful new clip of the S dub with Haruka/Michiru's first transformation. So at least there's SOME proof its been worked on.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Ikuko Tsukino's voice actress, Yuko Mizutani, passed away earlier this week due to cancer. :smith: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-05-19/chibi-maruko-chan-black-jack-voice-actress-yuko-mizutani-passes-away/.102272

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Viz's PR for Sailor Moon confirming they're taking the complaints for Classic and R's Blu-Ray sets and are making sure to not repeat the same mistakes.

They didn't say this during the panel so excited! :dance:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, they've said that before in one form or another so I'm just happy to wait it out with the Aussies if it's all the same.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 22, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yay Moon Crisis Makeup

And then they said "super sailor moon" like 50 times, but I don't even care because:sparkles:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 24, 2016

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The new ending theme is incredibly appropriate it's amazing.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Sailor Pulto

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the one flaw in this sub

survivalstrategy
Oct 19, 2012

Let's see how many people you can kill with the power of love.

I'm so used to Mamochan being such a dork (in like every iteration of Sailormoon) and then this happens! :captainpop::captainpop::captainpop: Like this is the same weirdo that chilled around town in a tuxedo in broad daylight and wears that stupid looking communicator watch and like his future self wears a lavender suit and cape?

survivalstrategy fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 31, 2016

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Doctor: Welp, this little girl is dead. See you guys later!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

a cartoon duck posted:

the one flaw in this sub

The subs were kinda funny when I thought they were by a native Japanese speaker trying to use English slang they don't know very well, but this episode is making me doubt the "knowing Japanese" angle.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The subs are so bad, goddamn.

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
Yeah that was almost unreadable. This episode was really fast paced too.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Now that SMC is semi-watchable in other respects, the bad subtitles really stand out. The translation budget must be five dollars.

I gave up on SMC in the middle of the first season, went back and rewatched the dub for the second half (black moon arc) this weekend and found it a lot more tolerable, probably because with the dub I'm not intently watching the screen to read the subtitles and thus the errors and annoyances are less visible.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

penguinmambo posted:

I always thought the comic and Crystal were better at setting up the split about them being mysterious without being so... I dunno, hamfisted about how much ~cool(er)~ they were than everything/everyone in the existing cast, even when I know that's typical toku marketing of New Characters(tm). I remember it being really bad in the old show, despite them having the curse of needing to be unsuccessful compared to what the main character does, being constantly talked up by everyone and deliberately jobbing the old guard for a bit.

There's a whole discussion blowup about Haruka and Usagi's deal (mostly whether it's fair to just have that as a vehicle for Usagi's plot development, the weird status it puts Haruka and her actual girlfriend at, among other stuff) which I KIND of get because it's an interesting idea buried in... well, soap operatic 'fanservice' Because Shoujo(tm). So it can feel kind of shameless and pandering. But 1) I'm too numbed by a long nerd career of anime for cliches to bite me that hard and 2) after spending a whole season of old show with characters who by their own admission spent a long time doing significantly douchey things, it's not to have a version that doesn't feel the need to indulge in that.

Speaking of, what's with Neptune as a character? She's obviously undewritten in Crystal and in the comic, but even in stuff like the musicals I feel like if any new characters has to put on the chopping block for development or time constraints or whatever it's her, and mostly you'll just see her in tandem with Uranus.

I can see lots of reasons why Haruka would be super-popular with the shoujo fanbase, but is Michiru not that actually popular except to shippers?

All the Outers are most popular because they're dorks just like the rest of the cast, barring Saturn. Pluto telecommutes in her underwear, Uranus instinctively hunts out bargains (while being rich enough to own her own helicopter), and Neptune is prickly underneath the elegant surface. The thing is, that last one only works if it pops out rarely, so she looks like the boring serious one because it's easy to forget her getting suspicious of the Starlights because Yaten dissed her lipstick or her spitting fury at finding out little Hotaru just broke all her nice dishes.

Saturn, of course, is a stone cold killer, so she gets the least time of anybody because it's harder to make her interesting without devolving her into the Terminator.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For those watching. Tomoe went full on crazy again. Crazy smiles and all.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Here lies Prof Time, he never got to play Twister.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

a good episode for good Mistress 9 faces

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

a cartoon duck posted:

a good episode for good Mistress 9 faces

This really helped sell the body horror element of Hotaru's physical form being destroyed, and her needing to let it happen in order to save the other Guardians.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Chibi-Usa exists and is real.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

:swoon: Saturn is the best

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

The latest ep was everything I ever wanted in a Sailor Moon anime. I've been waiting so long to see Sailor Saturn! And they didn't mess it up! I would've still been pleased to see these scenes even if the quality of the series had not improved past that of seasons 1 and 2, but I'm thankful that it did.

I think Usagi was also handled very well in this ep. Her scenes were pretty moving.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nice cliffhanger, you jerks.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So that's the end of Sailor Moon Crystal? Are we getting a season 4? The first few episodes of s3 were great but then the plot killed any time for characterisation.

Meanwhile, someone needs to do a tally on how often the sailor scouts were kidnapped/possessed. It felt like a lot.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The ending pretty clearly set up Pegasus so they could bring it back again if they wanted to.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Dream is also considered to be among the best manga arcs.

But it looks like they are planning to do the Dead Moon Circus.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Oh c'mon, they set straight up for an S4 and they got upgrades again. I'd put :10bux: on S4.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Caitlin posted:

Oh c'mon, they set straight up for an S4 and they got upgrades again. I'd put :10bux: on S4.

I hope so, but Chihayafuru has taught me that we aren't allowed to have nice things in anime.

This season was really good and I want more. :(

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The last act of season 3 was the best the show has been.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Axel Serenity posted:

I hope so, but Chihayafuru has taught me that we aren't allowed to have nice things in anime.

They managed to do a third season of Crystal after what happened with the first two. I'm sure they'll somehow manage to fund a fourth and fifth season to round everything up.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This is Toei you're talking about, I think there's a law of thermal dynamics that demands that they blow it somehow.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So a thought; if Usagi was 14 at the start of Sailor Moon (1992) then she'd be be 39 right now (Having been born in 1977).

Sailor Moon Crystal has been updated (DVDs, Laptops, etc) so she'd be 16 right now (SMC started in 2014 so she'd be born in 2000) which is actually just about right (her age is given as 15 in Infinity and Dream), huh.

Math is fun :v:

Serena would be 35: US Dub started 1995, meaning she'd be born in 1981

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Axel Serenity posted:

Chihayafuru doesn't have a massive international audience that was raised on a televised dub

• Locked thread