Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

I'm really pleased with the merchandise that's being put out recently. So far, my favorites are a powder compact based of Sailormoon's second brooch, a nail polish kit based off of the transformation sticks, and rings based of another brooch.

I think you can order them through yesasia or jlist, but of course they are all crazy expensive. I can sit here and drool over them though. :colbert: Here's a link with a bunch of other merch, too. I might shell out some money for one of those phone cases, some of them are really cute!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

MadRhetoric posted:

Americanized names (where the gently caress did Lita come from?)

I always assumed it was based off Jupiter's moon Leda :shrug:

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

As frustrating as the anime is due to all the filler, I think you can miss out on a lot of great moments and character development. I think that's one area where the anime has the manga beat. The characters just seem more diverse and interesting in the anime compared to the manga. Not that the characters and the relationships are bad or boring in the manga, but sometimes I felt like some of the characters were too similar, while in the anime their differences are apparent and wonderful. Honestly, I think I just I enjoyed the friendships a lot more in the anime, but I liked the romance more in the manga.

Speaking of the anime having good parts, I finally got around to watching the entirety of Stars about 4 years ago (despite watching the rest probably 8 years before that). I actually really enjoyed it! There were some really funny clips, like all the characters fighting in Usagi's tiny kitchen, and Minako trying to get one of the Starlights to go to a dirty movie with her. Here's a clip from the kitchen fight (Please ignore the dumb opening and beginning, it's the only clip I could find of this):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKby0Ui32wU

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

There's going to be a NicoNico livestream announcement with some new information tomorrow! It looks like they'll be talking about the anime, a new musical, and possibly more. If anyone's interested, you can watch it here if you don't have a premium NicoNico account. I don't know if I'll be watching, but I'll be hoping we finally get an air date, at the very least. It'll air at 4am EST, Sunday.

Did anyone here know about the new musical? I don't think I've heard a single thing about it, but I'm not too interested in the musicals. Am I missing out? All the live action stuff seemed so drat cheesy, so I really don't pay much attention to it.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

The idea isn't all that bad until you realize that apparently all of them coordinated the births of their children so they'd be in the same grade. It's a little/a lot creepy.

Hey, if it's possible for Chibiusa to have the same birthday as her mom, I can believe that.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

Speaking of inexplicably changing character's genders, what was up with the decision to change Zirconia's? Zirconia was a woman right? I remember in the dub, they made her into a man, but I don't know the reason. There was never any dreaded homosexual relationships with her, and considering she was a part of Nehelania, the gender switch made even less sense.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

I think I'm one of the few who say S is their least favorite season. This isn't the only place where I've heard the sentiment that S is the most loved season, but I've always thought it was a bit overrated! I'm also not a big fan of Haruka and Michiru (well, at least when it comes to their tactical plans and missions), and I know those two are really loved by the fanbase. Maybe I need to sit down and rewatch S, since it has been awhile since I've last watched it.

I also unironically enjoy R and SuperS a whole bunch, so maybe I'm just a terrible fan. :v:

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

Shyrka posted:

I didn't like Haruka and Michiru much either. They just seemed like posers swanning about with their superpowers and trying to impress the girls who'd actually saved the planet twice by the time they bothered showing up. And everything they did turned to fail. But on the other hand S had an awesome set of villains, and was the most tightly paced season with very little filler, so it's still my favourite.

You've pretty much put my feelings into words here. Between that, and the fact they seemed so against working together as a team, and just wanted to do things their way, turned me off to them. They didn't want Usagi and the others to get involved with the talismans or with Hotaru, they didn't want Usagi to have any contact with the Starlights (okay, the others were hesitant about the Starlights too, I admit), and then that false betrayal during the battle against Galaxia. For me, I guess their major flaw is that the two don't really listen to anyone but themselves, until the very last minute.

I liked them more in the manga, they seemed more human. I loved the scenes where the two of them and Setsuna were raising Hotaru.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

Endorph posted:

I prefer anime Haruka and Michiru because the manga seemed vaguely confused about what a lesbian actually was. The anime basically just went 'these two ladies are dating' while the manga went with this weird NEITHER MALE NOR FEMALE thing without actually getting into trans issues or anything. It was kind of bizarre.

Was the weird gender thing something in the original manga? I definitely remember that when the english translation first came out, and I've always thought that may have been some mistranslation or confusion on the translator's part. I haven't read the new translation yet, so I have no clue what it says on that whole issue. Although considering the manga Starlights, I wouldn't be surprised if Naoko Takeuchi actually wrote the "neither male nor female" bits.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

aers posted:

She says she's 902 two arcs later (the manga equivalent of SuperS) which I guess puts her around 7-8, matching with her anime age then. The tl;dr is that Naoko's pretty drat weird.

Did I make this up, or was it said that Chibiusa started to grow and age at a faster rate after gaining her own power? I guess it should technically put her physically has 9 or 10 in Stars, but there's no way she looks like that. I may have completely made this up to compensate for the fact that Naoko cannot draw children (which is another thing I feel like I've heard her admit before).

If they continue with the psuedo-manga art style in Crystal, I hope they do something about how the younger characters or drawn, or maybe tweak their ages. Assuming they'll get that far, I know I would really love to see the Amazon Quartet's sailor forms.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

Wow, the animation in this episode was...pretty bad. If this was a weekly show, I don't think I'd be so disappointed, but waiting every 2 weeks for this level of animation is frustrating.

That said, Ami was cute in this episode :3: And following the pace of the manga is a lot better than the original anime's pacing.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

Darksaber posted:

I'm also kinda dreading when they introduce her computer, because it's going to end up pushing me over the edge on ordering one of those cases for my 3DS.

My friend tried to order me a case for Christmas from this shop, but they didn't do a great packing job and UPS tore the poo poo out of the package, so the case was bent and completely unusable. On the plus side, the shop gave a full refund, and responded quickly. You might have better luck since it's not around a holiday, but I wanted to give a heads up before you spent your money.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

That's just how she looks in the manga. If you notice, Mars also has a little pendant near her skirt, for some reason.

I thought maybe the sleeve choice may have been a reference to the original costume designs, but I guess not.

(You can't really tell in that picture, but Usagi originally had pink hair, and I think it's been said that Chibiusa's hair color is a reference to that)

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

I think her antenna showed up more early on in the manga, but I guess Naoko got tired of drawing it. It was definitely there during Makoto's first transformation:

mateo360 posted:

For some reason the shoes don't bother me but I this they kind of match some of them well like boots for the more rough and tough Jupiter heels for the fashion Venus and stilettos for the fiery Mars

It's funny you say that, because it always bothered me how Mercuy had the same style boots as Moon, and the other 3 had different shoes. :v: Actually, Pluto had those boots too. It's odd how she and Mercury had similar costume designs, what with the boots and lack of sleeves.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

So here's a neat fan thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orhh6TZ6qCE

250 artists and animators got together and re-created an episode, shot by shot. The episode they chose (dubbed) is the one where they all pretend to get into a fight, as if they're going to break up their team, in order to trick the "Negaverse". I've been following the project for awhile now, and I thought the episode going to be pretty janky, but it actually works pretty well together!

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

Dove from Above posted:

I enjoyed Rei's little moment with Ami, high-tenning when she won the video game, then being flustered about, like, showing emotion, then recovering her composure - but other than that she was super bland this week. I don't want a sweet Rei, I want Rei with her bad-tempered edge. She's a chili pepper, not a strawberry.

I think the character personalities are definitely a flaw in the manga, or at least a weak point. In the original anime, each character had a defined personality with a big punch to it. The manga doesn't have that same kick to it, probably because the pacing is so much faster than the anime and there's less filler. Sometimes I feel like everyone's personalities just blend in too much with one another, so it ends up a little bland.

In my opinion, you see the characters shine best during the arcs and stories that aren't Usagi centered. The side stories like Ami's love letter or Minako wanting to go to Rei's school, and the short character arcs in SuperS have some pretty decent development.

That said, Mamoru is probably one huge improvement in the manga, and some of the relationships I favor in there more than the original anime. I enjoy Usagi and Mamoru's interactions a lot more in the manga, and Usagi and Chibiusa have a better bond too.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

a kitten posted:

Yes...yes. :getin:

You know, at this point you'd think they'd just start attacking any new business that opens up in their town.

Are movie rental places even still a thing in Japan? A busy one should have been a sign right off the bat that it was being run by the bad guys.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

That was an issue I had with this episode and the last one. The senshi barely fight, and then they get attacked once (on screen at least), and then they are down for the count. This anime doesn't do a very good job at portraying the villains as strong, but just the senshi as really weak.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

I know the consensus is that SuperS is usually disliked (not just here, I've seen it elsewhere too), but what about the manga arc? It's been awhile since I've read it, but I don't think it has the rapey dream mirror stuff, and there were some great character arcs for the inners, too. I also really enjoyed the Amazon Quartet as villains and as sailors, and I've heard people were disappointed that they never became Chibusa's team in the anime. So is a lot of hate for the anime due to how different it went from the manga?

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

I really love the R arc, and you'd think if they have enough of the season animated to get that trailer out, it might not be bad, but it's still pretty apparent they are rushing. I think I was most disappointed by Usagi and Mamoru's reaction to Chibiusa falling. I remember them having really shocked and goofy faces in the manga, but they look almost bored in Crystal. I know we won't be seeing any expressions like this:

I know people compare the expressions between the original anime and Crystal a lot, but you'd think for a series that's more manga-based, it would have a similar style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

Basically everyone is a lot better in the manga when it comes to R. Mamoru doesn't break up with Usagi without explanation, Usagi gets over her jealously quickly, Chibiusa is no where near as annoying, and I know I felt more pity for her. I think in the manga, she was basically bullied and gossiped about for being so young for so long, while the anime had her randomly think her family secretly hated her.

Of course, there's a trade off, since Diamond and Black Lady are a hundred times more uncomfortably creepy in the manga.

• Locked thread