Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Famine Poodle posted:

For all you guys wanting to watch the original series without all the filler, check out Sailor Moon Essentials.

http://animania.eclectic-world.com/post.cfm/sailor-moon-essential-episodes

I rewatched the series a while ago using this, and it doesn't feel like anything is missing at all.
Oh awesome, someone's made a Kai list for Sailor Moon. This is exactly what I need, thanks!

Ha, some person's marked pretty much all of that one episode with Minako nursing everyone as a funny moment, sounds about right, actually.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So that event revealed almost nothing if you were hoping to have something to talk about for the new anime (beyond a "Winter on NicoNico" anoucement which I am dubious of given the lack of, well, anything).

Obasu was dodging questions about the thing like a politician on heat.

Compared to the musical which they're putting on a goddamn pedestal, I'm getting the impression the anime is being treated like a redheaded stepchild so please act surprised when come Winter there's nothing.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 4, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

aers posted:

It's entirely normal to know nearly nothing about a Winter season show at this point. I can only think of a handful that are even announced out of the 20+ the season should have.
It's entirely normal to host an event stating there'd be information about the anime and the musical and then devote 99.9% of the run time to the musical and not have something, ANYTHING ready for consumption on the anime side?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
There will be plenty of time to relax when they're done screwing around.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Also, someone said the new manga releases have a better translation. Does the Stars arc make any sense now? I was never sure if I was confused because the translation was bad or if it just makes no sense in general.

Whilst Stars was egocentric as hell (Reading it in a Post-Madoka light certainly colours one experience with it) the improved print quality certainly helps things make a bit more sense. (For example, during the Sailor Aluminum Siren fight, the Tokyopop print makes it look like she broke Mercury and Jupiter's Necks whilst the reprint makes it clear that they were thrown in the way of Moon's attack which makes why they were blown away make a ton more sense. Story wise, it's utterly bonkers (and part of me sees Ikuhara constantly kicking himself for not sticking around to direct it) but I certainly pick it over the TV showing of events.

Seriously, everything after episode 7 of Stars was pure concentrated butt, The great ChibiChibi Towel/Cake Conundrum be damned.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 15, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

FlamingRok posted:

To me, it's going to be interesting to see what they will change in this new and old show.

At this point just getting it would be victory enough.

How much I trust Toei to do that without loving up is another matter altogether.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

becrumbac posted:

I think I read, years ago, that this was actually something tossed in by Kunihiko Ikuhara when he was doing Sailor Moon. :iiam:

Which doesn't even make sense cuz that's a leotard. :psyduck:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

I've been reading the Manga on the side, and man Moon+Mars are straight up killah combo
The joke is that isn't even the worst kill. Most fatalities are lucky to have earthly remains to dispose of.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And then Season two is about a five year old girl searching for Superman.

As in, she's that desperate to solve a crisis she caused that she's willing to bugger all laws of time and space on the off-chance that Daddy's bedtime stories about this mythic super figure have some basis in fact.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 22, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

I got this seething rage from just seeing/reading about that pink-haired troll and I think my only real exposure is through some old SNES rpg...
The dub did her no favours between someone who was nowhere in comparison to Kae Araki so a character who was on loose footing before hand stood no chance when DiC were done with her.

Stephanie Beard made the role her own in S and SS, though.

Pimpmust posted:

In other news, started the second season and while I didn't really think the Memory loss schtick would stick (being the 90ies superhero story and all... ), haha poo poo the loving cats could just pump the memories back in 5 seconds flat like that? :effort:
To be fair, they sold the fact that Usagi did NOT like being reminded that her friends and herself died and that there's the very real prospect that they'd do so again.

Given she only had the role for a few episodes before hand (Kotono Mitsuishi being off ill during the last leg of season one and part of R), Araki bloody well sells it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

Does anyone actually know if it'll come out this winter? I know winter's been promised to us, but I keep expecting the rug to be pulled out. :smith:
It's Toei so expect the worst.

Between dbz, precure and one piece they could act retarded about all of thier projects and get away with it with money to spare.

I mean how long has Funi threatened to a) get the rights to and dub Sailor Moon and b) fund the Buu arc for DBZ Kai?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

I found his brief stint as Evil Tuxedo Kamen to be pretty entertaining, sadly he only pulled out the DEMOTIVATOR once :saddowns:

Now I'm at ep 61 and god drat I can't stand him as lovey-doey perfect husbando alter ego. Did he get brainwashed by the silver crystal when I weren't looking? Dude's been knocked over his head one too many times.

Like most things Sailor Moon, S had the best Mamoru nonsense when he plays straight man to Usagi (who's a dork) and ChibiUsa's (who knows how to push Usagi's buttons) shenanigans.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 25, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Aren't they in the process of dubbing that right now?
Bugger Knows. Kai is such a mess, editorially speaking, which is frustrating because it's the (not TFS) version of DBZ I want most.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

On the other hand, the Buu Saga without the filler would be like 7 episodes. :v:

I'll take my chances.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

CHiRAL posted:

New Sailor Moon?! Best news ever~ :swoon:

I used to love this show 13-14 years ago and I don't remember anything other than liking Chibi-Usa the most (I don't know why :sweatdrop:) and that Sailor Jupiter was the best sailor.

Maybe I should re-watch the whole drat show since I'm sick anyway and won't be getting out of bed for a few days. Yeah, nostalgia! :haw:
It's been linked a few times on the thread, but if you want to give yourself some leway, you can use This list to cut out some of the more fillery parts.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So basically it's the timeline where Inazuma Eleven happens?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

IMJack posted:

Magical girl soccer? There are enough magical girl series to fill out a league's worth of teams.

In this new universe, El Derado are trying to destroy soccer before walpurgis night kills everything.

The more I think of it, the more I want it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Though Heartcatch is the best :colbert:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

We shoudl combine the Sailor Moon and Madoka Magica threads into one unholy being.
We can call it Walpurgis Night. :haw:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Are you implying that in the time of the Crystal Millennium the Usagi Grill is a thing?

Because I think that's what you're implying. :colbert:
Oh boy, if not for my cold nuking my sense of taste, I could go for some Grilled Rabbit.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

aers posted:

...the staffing situation re: Toei SM 2014 is pretty dire, since nearly everyone worthwhile is busy. Toei is making 6-7 shows right now.
Given how much of a fuckaround the production has been so far this surprises me little.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Revolver Bunker posted:

I'm waiting to see some sort of physical proof. A character sketch, cast list or promo poster. It feels like every announcement they make is another shovel of dirt flung out from the whole Toei is digging.

Or shilling toys/musicals

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

CHiRAL posted:

Sailor Stars is the best season. Everyone has a personality all of a sudden! I love it.
Also I will never ever skip that OP theme :kamina:
I have nothing nice to say about the 26 episodes in between the Super S endgame arc and the season's own Endgame.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It was just such a waste to go from the first seven episodes, which did more to be an adaptation of Super S's manga arc than anything Super S actually did, only to putz around for a whole season only for Galexia to just go "Right, this is boring, everyone's going to die right the gently caress now because I drat well say so" and then everyone died right the gently caress then because she drat well said so.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh don't get me wrong, The first and last seven episodes are easily some of the best stuff to come out of Sailor Moon but those 26 episodes in the middle (inspite of some really funny proto-Doreimi bits here and there) are just a chore to go though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

Chibi Chibi didn't have a recurring romance subplot with a horse, at least.
Yeah, Super S was dumb which is why the first seven eps of Stars were a better Super S than Super S.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
20th Aniversty site is up.

I'll let it's state speak for itself.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

Wait, what's wrong with it? It looks pretty good to me. I mean it's just BUY OUR STUFF but what'd you expect?

If you mean the lack of the other three main scouts, isn't that because the 20th anniversary volumes with them on the cover aren't out yet?
That, half of the sections being grayed out, the BUY OUR poo poo nonsese, it's a list.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
S is better, SS is a load and you're better served just jumping to Stars eps 1-7 and presuming the big bad was a movie vilian or something and then you can skip to ep 26 or so of Stars where you can see bets being off.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sailor Moon is serial in the same way Power Rangers is (which is apt enough); Each episode has series of Main Story episodes that have a number of side stories added on in-between them.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 6, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, untill I see anything of note, that's a big 'ol TBC on that date.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm pretty sure when I finally watch it they'll do the opening theme, there'll be like five minutes of the whole 'look at normal life for the scouts' and then 20 minutes of meatspin.
complete with "BUY OUR MERCH!" written in 20 languages because drat if this doesn't fell like some sort of Merch Shilling exercise.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

To be fair so was the original. I mean, the girls didn't have constantly upgraded sparkly accessories for the deep artistic symbolism behind moon makeup transformation.

Maybe not but at least the first time around had a cartoon to go with the Merch rather than a two year long string-along exercise.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Probably. There's Japanese (Maybe OOP, don't quite know), French, German and Italian DVD releases of the series but a) they're not in English and ether b) Released by Kazé (Viz Europe) who's overall track record with releasing stuff on home video can be charitably descried as "Crap" or c) Released in Japan and thus levy to a whole bunch of pricing bullshit that can be charitably described as "Thatcheresque"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm not sure that it got canned so much as it told what it wanted. Sure I'd like a modern take on ChibiUsa's "searching for superman" deal but the one series was fine on its own. Ballet-fu and all.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

More staff has been announced, it seems.

I'm not really familiar with any of the names, but apparently the art folks from Gatchaman Crowds are involved. That can only be good; visually, that show popped.

Well as long that's all they get from that show then we'll be far better for it.

I don't want to even think of what "Sailor Moon Crowds" would entail.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
To put it bluntly, I'll watch Battle of the Planets if I want to watch a "Re-imagining" of Gatchaman long before I even think of Crowds.

They didn't to do badly with Cashern Sins and that got my hopes up and then they made [C] again with vague hints of Gatchaman with a Mary Sue who makes Haruhi look reasonable.

I worry for Tatsunoko some times between [C] and Crowds.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 27, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

aers posted:

The character designer has never done anime character designs before and she's a massive fujoshi (she's literally been credited for "BL animation" on a show before) so its pretty hard to find examples of her art that aren't dudes, but her actual animation work is extremely pretty and has some superb subtle character and hair stuff -

Cautiously optimistic, I guess.

Well at leaest the Mamrou scenes might pop. That's something. Bout time he got something to do other than be set up for the final blow or the dood in distress.

Man when they get to R and he gets to pull of Tuxedo La Smoking Bomber with that sort of Gundam flare :c00lbert:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

RMZXAnarchy posted:

At least there won't be any Chibiusa seeing as its the Dark Kingdom plot again.
Don't even joke.

I did not get short shifted for a year to not get more Prof. Tomoe, a proper adoption of SS (That wasn't a bizarre mishmash that somehow did worse things to ChibiUsa's profile than her Dub VA for R) and Stars (What it needed was more seven episode epics like the SS Epilogue and Galaxia arcs).

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Honestly, the redesigns kinda prod that same space in my head that the JoJo's anime designs did so hopefully that means Toei will translate as well as David production did/is doing.

Voice cast is...interesting, Thinking about Manga Rei for example, yeah I could buy Misaka from Railgun for that voice. The voice of Squid Girl being Ami is...huh.

The Fortnightly thing, fine, as long as they don't gently caress up.

We did not get hosed around for two years for it to all go sideways right now.

• Locked thread