Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Man and his dog posted:

Lmao dude I'm about to have to run an Italian restaurant with a 16 year old chick on the beach. It's just us. And it's raining.

This is going to be so bad.

:cripes:

If it's raining and you're at the beach doesn't that mean no one will be coming in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Part of my job is taking phone orders for pick-up food. One of the owners of my restaurant is a member of a fairly famous rock band. He's not involved in day to day operations and he only comes in rarely. I got a phone call last night from someone trying to get me to set-up a one on one meeting with the guy because they're "friends say [she's] a very talented musician." When I try and explain to her that there was no way that was happening, first she asks to speak to a manager, then she tries to sing to me over the phone. I hung up at that point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What restaurants don't auto-grat on large tables? I've never worked at one that didn't and I've never eaten in one with 6 or more people that didn't. I worked at one restaurant where the tips were so lovely that we changed our policy from auto gratuity with 6 or more, to auto gratuity with 5 or more.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm sure that makes the people you shed nasty pit hair into the food of feel better.

An authentic experience.

I'm trying to figure out how you think he's carrying plates that they'd be in danger of pit hair? I mean, the guy sounds like a douchebag, but y'all are picking on him for the wrong things.

Being entitled and sexist, sure, thinking his tips have nothing to do with the quality of service, no, there's very very rarely any correlation between quality of service and size of tips. I've bent over backwards for some tables and gotten 0-5%, and I've literally forgotten tables existed and gotten 25%.

On the very rare occasions I get any sort of direct feedback from tables, it's almost invariably something I had no control over, like complaints about the quality of the food written on the credit card receipt, even though I asked them twice "How is everything?" "How are we doing?"

That's by far my biggest complaint about customers, people telling me they didn't like the food, while sitting in front of an empty plate, after I checked on them 2 or 3 times.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

Nah she's basically awful with everyone and came in acting like she knew everything, nobody likes her.

The servers who either put down the wrong table numbers or neglected to tell us that their table moved I just talked to a manager about in the thirty seconds I had between runs as a general hey remind people at preshift about table numbers thing. I'm not totally insane. That one server is just the worst.

You've been at that restaurant less than a month, keep your loving head down for a minute. Vent here all you want, it's healthy, but being confrontational at a new job isn't great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Murkyhumor posted:

We just switched from quick service ( order and pay at the register then sit down) to full service (normal restaurant) and I was wondering how to manage the flow of business better. I run the wheel, and my biggest issue is that the servers are ringing in bunches of tickets at the same time, effectively weeding the kitchen constantly. We have an expectation that every ticket should be no longer than 20 minutes, but lately i've had a few 30 minute tickets, and it sucks. This is especially a problem if they weed a particular station (usually sandwich during lunch, saute during dinner). I've talked to the servers constantly about how this is hard on my cooks, but they just shrug and say "well the hosts sat me 3 tables, so it's not my fault." Am I expecting too much for them to pace out their tickets? i've brought it up with the GM and the assistant GM, but nothing seems to have changed. This is my first true restaurant gig, so I don't really know any other system, not to mention I have exactly zero FOH experience.

I think another part of our problem is that we only have one rail, so when a station gets crazy I have to not call tickets so they concentrate on selling what they have, which shoves them further behind.

Basically, what are some tips from experienced ticket callers, and how do I get my servers to stop being dicks.

Ever since we switched, my stress levels have been through the roof. They said we were going to slow down, due to slower turnaround, but we've had double digit increases over last year every day since. I want to have this go smoothly for everyone, especially my guys and the customers, but i'm not sure how to make things better.

Getting the hostess to make people wait a couple extra minutes between seating parties, even if there's an obviously open table in front of them can ease the pressure on both the kitchen and the servers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

I work at a place t hat doesn't do autograt, it's terrifying, but the bad tips are rare as hell. On the upside, our dining room only seats 50, so we don't usually get HUGE parties.

On the upside my tips are great, and I'm a very good server. I make more money serving and bar tending than I do at my career day job.

I work in a diner that auto-grats at 6 people, and I honestly wish I could auto-grat tables of 5 or anything over 50 bucks. Because I had a 3 top leave me 3 dollars on a 70 dollar check and I did nothing wrong and their food was perfect,checked on them multiple times, refilled drinks without needing to be asked, cleared empty plates without pressuring them. After they left I just sat on the patio giving them the stink eye while they walked away.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Concentrating on having first in first out for food also helps the servers, it's easy for me to explain that the kitchen is busy so everything is taking longer. That gets a lot harder when they are sitting next to a table that ordered 15 minutes later than them gets their food first.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Ah, servers. 'Man, it sucks, I have to pay taxes .'

gently caress that poo poo industry wide. Pay a wage.

Look, when you have serious substance abuse issues and most of your income is cash, taxes loving suck.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, bitch to the guys in the kitchen who have to budget their binge drinking for payday instead of scamming cash off tables every night. :P

Based on my kitchen, I assumed y'all drank on the days you won money on dice, and if you lost you didn't drink.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

How does management know if they claim everything?

The bigger question is why they care as long as servers report enough to not get the IRS interested.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Republicans posted:

Just had a cook quit because we kept ignoring his childish excuses for wanting to skip work, most recent one being a claim that he was stung by a bee as he was coming in and he felt "allergic."

What's the dumbest reason you've all heard for someone not wanting to work?

I had a busser call in because he ran out of gas on the freeway, which sucks, but it's a 6 hour shift, this isn't a problem that takes 6 hours to fix. Another time he called in because someone stole his car battery. Another time he accidently showed up 30 minutes early for his shift, left and then showed up an hour late with no explanation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mindphlux posted:

this.

I hate that 80% of the time I see people bitching about pay in the industry, it's a loving server bitching about their gigantic goddamn tips - which they probably don't even report as income. I don't know what the solution is, other than building gratuity into the cost of food/drink, and tipping out universally (which as I understand is not even legal) - or not tipping out at all and paying a living wage. but apparently servers bitch even more about this because net/net they wouldn't make as much getting paid this way because "taxes" and "wahh its my tips" or whatever. meanwhile back of house gets paid $8-12/hr with no tip and you bet your rear end they're paying taxes on all of it ......... as if that's fair or even anything other than obscene.

I mean jesus. I know industry sucks and it's a Fact Of Life or whatever, but there has to be a better way forward.

I make 25-40 an hour depending on tips, but all of my shifts are like 4 hours, and I would loving shoot myself if I had to do my job for 40 hours in a week, but I love being able to live off 25 hours a week.

I do find it hilarious when states that don't have a tip credit (meaning you have to pay your servers the full minimum wage, instead of loving 2.15 or whatever and count tips towards minimum wage) bring up raising minimum wage a bunch of restaurant owners whine about how the front of house makes so much more than the kitchen because of tips, if you think your employees aren't making enough money, pay them more money, it's not rocket science.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I remember when the ACA was first being debated and Papa John's came out and said "We'll have to raise our prices 13 cents a pizza to pay for this." My, and I think most sane people's, response was "It will only cost an extra13 cents a pie to give your employees health coverage, why the gently caress weren't you already doing that?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

September is complete bullshit for restaurants, almost everyone starts losing money, and the managers freak out. I understand that they need to cut costs, eliminate a few shifts temporarily. But every year, at every restaurant I've ever worked in, the managers flip out to the extent it seems they think people decided to just never eat out again.

(I swear to god, almost every single job I've ever had as an adult is in one, but I still only spell restaurant right the first time about 30% of the time).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Turkeybone posted:

I'd like a BLT but can you sub bacon for the tomato? :btroll:

Isn't that a thing people eat in the UK? There was a minor meme about one of their politicians looking dumb while eating a bacon sandwich.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

More like the bacon ate David Cameron's sandwich, actually.

I was talking about the Ed Miliband photo. I wrote that post before I found out the the head of our closest ally was a pig fucker.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Yeah I figured you were referring to something else but I couldn't help jumping on that joke.

This used to be the most embarassing thing in British politics involving a dead pig.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lol I went to Comrade Manager about the lazy girl and he literally told me if I don't have anything nice to say

Out of all the bullshit in this job that is the thing that makes me want to quit the most and seeing as I just gave my two weeks notice it might turn into my one week notice

I'm on a phone and lazy so I can't point to specific posts, but I loving told you so about over scheduling yourself. Restaurants are easy to burn out at.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Greatbacon posted:

have plans to travel the country by motorcycle :ohdear:

Do this one Dickeye, if you make it to California I'll put you up for a night.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

if the mental health thing doesn't work out i might

We can get drunk in a bar Jack Kerouk used to go to.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

My restaurant's policy is that for the last 15 minutes we're take out only. Last night, when I informed someone of that after the walk in 5 minutes to closing he cussed me out, then cussed out the handful of customers still sitting.

Kenning posted:

Last night I told a dude we weren't going to serve him another drink. The reasons why I was wrong in making that decision were:

1) He has only had two.
2) He is dining with the Vice Mayor of a nearby city.
3) My bartender is probably drunk.
4) He is from a city an hour south of here.
5) He is a sheriff's deputy.
6) I am racist.
7) Here is his ID, look at it.
8) He is going to call 2 local news stations.
9) He is the chief of an Indian tribe.
10) He is not, in fact, bothering the other customers by yelling at me and asking their opinions of the situation.
11) I'm probably drunk.
12) When the police arrive they're going to breathalyze all of the restaurant staff.

It was a fun 20 minutes.

I know drunk people don't make rational decisions, but has anyone ever successfully convinced a bartender who cut them off into giving them another drink?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JawKnee posted:

not that I know of. When I was bartending I pretty often got the 'You HAVE to serve me! Its the LAW!'

always good for a chuckle right in someone's face

I just love the idea of a bartender going "you know what, I was wrong to cut you off. Here, have a shot on the house."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kenning posted:

When the bartender doesn't want to serve you any more there is literally nothing you can say to change their mind. If you say, "Hey I understand, you've gotta look out for you" and don't make any sort of scene then everyone will be happy to see you again next time you come in.

I know that, I just wonder what goes through people's minds when they decide to argue with a bartender, I figure it's just a really quick way to go from "not allowed to have another drink tonight" to "never allowed back in the place."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

You have no idea how hard it is to be permanently barred from a place. They want your money, they just might make you feel like an rear end in a top hat for spending it there.
I've actually seen people get 86'd from my local hangout. One time I saw a guy get thrown out and 86'd then the next week come back in, since he was blackout drunk he didn't remember getting 86'd. That was a fun conversation to over hear. I had one customer at my own restaurant who isn't officially 86'd, since I don't know his name or have a photo, but if he comes in when I'm working I'm telling him to get the hell out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

End of December. And it's every hotel. All of us have to do this stupid poo poo because someone up high went on vacation in Chile, met someone who wrote a memoir, and let her write the menu, even though she has never worked in culinary at all.

Wait, really? That's loving hilarious. What's it like living in a previously unpublished Kafka text?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

In front of house biking everywhere and not drinking sugary drinks at work helps a lot. I'm still in terrible shape because there's a bar with good industry discounts halfway between work and home that I usually go to when I get off though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I didn't drink beer. ~1000 calories in half a 750ml of gin.

So you drink 2000 calories a day also, is what you're trying to say.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JawKnee posted:

yes, if you're in Vancouver gimme a shout - I promise not to bring up politics

Washington or BC? (Who am I kidding, obviously BC, everyone from Vancouver, Washington knows to say "Vancouver, Washington" for the same reason people from Moscow, Idaho know to say "Moscow, Idaho")

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Turkeybone posted:

Sliders are the stupidest loving things. "Here's tiny little flat meatballs that are not only going to be dry, but also cold!"

In #work news, I thought I'd someday be busted for sneaking Cristal, but in reality the conversation (in general) was more like "wait, why is all this Cristal still here, why is nobody using this?"

I used to go to a place that had like 30 different burgers and you could mix and match sliders of different kinds,so it was nice to be able to try several burgers but in tiny portions. Now I work at the restaurant and they stopped doing them before I was hired, so I can't use my employee discount to get weird variety packs of tiny burgers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sex Hobbit posted:

They either aren't pronounced the same or I've been saying Russia-Moscow wrong my entire life. (Family lives in Lewiston, just south.)

In thread-related funtime news at Green Apron Coffee Co., apparently after new year's our goals are going to change to 100% of orders including a food item. Really looking forward to convincing people to spend $7 on two pieces of lovely rubber-bread with a dream of chicken between them instead of going to the actual sandwich place next door and getting a sub the size of their arm for a dollar less. What gets into corporate people?

(Not sure if this belongs more here or in the BFC retail thread, but it's so loving ridiculous I have to tell SOMEBODY.)

I grew up in Seattle, but my grandparents lived there most of my childhood. They're pronounced the same to me, or close enough not to matter. Moss, as in the green plant and co, not cow.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Second guess my terrible French. Is "Soup de jour: Creme de broccoli" the correct way to write "Soup of the day: Cream of broccoli"?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JawKnee posted:

My french sucks but: Broccoli in french has only 1 c

Yeah, I don't care enough to fix that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mindphlux posted:

argh I hate vegan and vegetarian dietary restrictions so loving much

I literally cannot understand them or keep them straight. and I try really hard to accommodate any and everyone I serve food to. (edit : imnotarestaurant)

I had a dinner party last week and I left cheese off a vegetarian plate (because it's made with rennet harvested from poor baby veals and also the milk of suffering caged cows) and the guest poked fun at me for not giving them cheese! what the gently caress

also I have mistakenly given vegans things with yeast and they have been like 'no I don't eat yeast' also wtf. they may have been gluten free too? but yeast doesn't have anything to do with gluten unless its in bread???

gently caress everyone just eat food if its put infront of you!!! if you don't want to eat chicken every day because you think it's a poor environmental choice or don't like killing animals or whatever that's fine!!! I'm completely on board with your choice!!!

just if you're accidentally given something that has an ingredient that you don't like, push it aside, or just eat it that once because it will account for 0.00001% of your annual food intake, and you look like a douche, are probably being ungrateful to someone, and it's just going to get thrown away even though that cow had already given its milk that was made with the poor dead veal stomach enzymes, and your preferences in this case amount to absolutely nothing other than a kafkaesque comedy of errors you dicklicking gently caress.

not angry, just laughin' with the world :)

When I host a party there's always at least two vegan options.
they can 1)make do or 2)gently caress off

Seriously though,vegans eat yeast, it's a bacteria not an animal and if you aren't eating bacteria you aren't eating anything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Second guess my terrible French. Is "Soup de jour: Creme de broccoli" the correct way to write "Soup of the day: Cream of broccoli"?

So I left at 2am. Whoever opens may or may not notice our specials sign says "Potage Du Jour/Crème de Brachiosaurus"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Amergin posted:

Catching up on the past dozen or so pages but this caught my eye - do food trucks actually make decent money, especially in places like Austin where I'd assume you have quite a bit of competition with other food trucks plus your brick-and-mortar places?

I guess the answer would be "it depends (on the menu/location/quality/etc)"?

I think brick and mortar places usually consider food trucks to be more of a threat than the other way around, since the trucks generally have much smaller overhead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JawKnee posted:

yes, hence why I'm curious what 'revenue sharing' for front of house will end up being, as they specifically say: "all [FoH] staffers who are currently tipped will see their base income fortified by a revenue share program. While Sagaria couldn’t, at press time, specify anticipated totals for front of house pay ranges, he did say that he’s aiming to have those positions take home at least as much as they did under the old system"

Now that sounds good, if revenue sharing does indeed bump them up to around the levels they were earning. But if it would, why not just set their wages around there and be done with it?

I'm friends with people who work at a place that went tipless. /they don't do a revenue sharing system, but base pay for everyone is $15 (minimum wage here is $12.25) and depending on experience and other factors (busier shifts are paid more) it can go as high as $25, but I don't know how many people actually make that. Most of them seem relatively satisfied.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Even after working a bunch of restaurant jobs, tipping never struck me as weird until I finally treated myself and another to the kind of meal where a decent tip was going to be around $100, and I stopped and thought about how that was an entire c-note that the wait staff depended on and how there would be no repercussions at all if I pocketed it. It's just a really hosed up system, just bump up prices by a fixed percentage and handle employee pay like any other major industry.

What the hell did you eat that a decent tip for 2 people would be a Benjamin?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Check your math. If in 3 days you can make $600 in tips, what's happening the other four days of the week if you're only ending up with 20-25k?

If you were given a stable $20/hr wage, you'd end up with $40k in a year.

That's what this is about.

He isn't working at all the other 4 days. Honestly the major reason a lot of people become servers is because of how flexible the schedule is.

I make around 27k but I only work 4 days a week and 3 of those shifts are less than 6 hours. Which sounds brilliant, but I couldn't imagine doing what I do for 8 hours a day 5 days a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Man and his dog posted:

*makes double what I make. Gets benefits and health insurance

gently caress tipping this guy for working. His employer can pay him!

Guy makes $2.75 an hour.

If you aren't a tipped worker it would be illegal to pay you 2.75.

• Locked thread