Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hauki
May 11, 2010

bunnielab posted:

You guys really are like stagehands.

I am so used to "behind", "hold", and "heads" that I yell them out in public all the time. Its kinda embarrassing at times.
I use stagehand terms all the time at the climbing gym because it's what comes naturally and people stare at me like I'm batshit crazy.

And yeah, I use behind and corner a lot in public too which is dumb and embarrassing.

I worked in theatre & film before I ever worked in a kitchen, so I also used points/hot points in the kitchen at first and people would ignore me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

Good loving luck, if you're in the US. Barely anyone grows them here because until 2003 it was illegal; heirloom blackcurrant bushes carry a blight that rips through pine with a vengeance. Apparently the relaxation of the laws is specifically for new cultivars that don't harbor the blight.

I grew up in a community that included a lot of expat Brits and Germans, and was later surprised to find out that barely anyone outside my childhood town had any idea what they were. :(
Huh? They grow wild in the foothills here and dried are readily available on the shelf. It never occurred to me that they would be difficult to find elsewhere in the US.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Turkeybone posted:

Ugh. Living with someone in NY would save me like $500-600 a month. The downside, of course, is:

"* No allowed to cook
* Please no alcohol"
Not worth it man.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

bowmore posted:

If you really want to send a message don't tip. If I wasn't getting tips I'd probably start wondering why.
I think the average lovely server would just think you're a dick rather than getting all introspective about their faults as a server.

As for writing things on receipts, I mean, I guess, but that seems a lot more passive aggressive than just pulling aside a manager.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kenning posted:

Sounds like a fun gig. That debit card poo poo is super hosed too, it's like a hop-skip-and-a-jump away from being paid in company scrip.
Yeah, I had a banquet cook position briefly that tried to do that poo poo, I argued with them for a week, essentially refused to work for them unless they found another way to pay me, and they set up direct deposit in the end. The job was incredibly lovely for other reasons though, so I didn't stick around for that long in the end.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Crazy Larry posted:

I used to have nightmares about other cooks calling off during busy services and being stuck running a 6 man line by myself. Amazingly those stopped once I got out of stupidly stressful corporate restaurants.
I think mostly I had nightmares about the line mysteriously not being set, or else being unable to prep in time for lunch/dinner rush.

Weird, I swear I quoted Black August. Whatever.

Oh yeah, or tickets just printing nonstop all night in my dreams.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 14, 2014

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Wroughtirony posted:

Shoechat: Danskos unless you have flat feet. End shoechat. Begin shoeslapfight.

Danskos are definitely the most comfortable for me but I wish the loving soles weren't so thick. I feel like I'm tottering around on platforms or some poo poo. I have a really nice pair of birki clogs as well that I tend to prefer just because of the thinner sole even though the fit is a bit worse.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Isaac Asimov posted:

Do Hilton hotels drug test? In Colorado?
I have no idea offhand, I know some corporate places will still do an initial test as part of the hiring process and not after.
The Hyatt never tested, v0v

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Crazy Larry posted:

Just had to throw away a full five gallon bucket of pickles because someone thought it would make a good step ladder.

:ughh:

I hope they got their foot stuck in the barrel.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Thoht posted:

So I'm in Seattle and thinking I want to try getting into the hotel side of things and I'd really like to do so in the next couple of months. I'm wondering if you all know if this would be a bad time of year to be trying or if that even matters that much. If I have to I can tough it out through 'til spring where I'm at but I'd rather not.

Nah, now is a great time. Most hotels I've worked at have an asston of holiday business, although usually more on the banquet side than restaurant side. They were always happy to hire on a extra or two leading up to thanksgiving etc.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kenning posted:

Quail egg omlettes, 10 eggs per.
Quail eggs are still like dirt cheap though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

AwwJeah posted:

The boss man had a problem getting his order complete through Sysco today. My boss and our business manager call up our Sysco representative and...

"Hi, this is Joe and JoJo with Institutional Kitchen and we're having a problem with our order."

"I can't deal with this right now I'm feeding my chickens."

*click*

Like...this literally happened.

A man's gotta have his priorities.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Well, here we go. The only thought that's getting me through the next 2 days is that we're closed on Sunday and Monday. As an aside, gently caress whoever it was who decided valentines day would be the perfect time to rent the place out for a shower right before we open for dinner.

Ironically, they're probably getting a fat bonus/bribe/cut.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Wroughtirony posted:

I hated that loving football.

We only made them to flick around at each other

At least I went to a state school for culinary, it cost me less than $1000 for 6 semesters, we had a year of pastries and bread, two years of cooking, plus some management, inventory & costing, wine & other beverages on the side. I was able to work full time during that.

I also smoked plenty of weed and drank plenty of beer with other young people, but at least we cooked every day and got to use ingredients we may not have had easy access to otherwise. We basically got fed every day off of what we put out. I also hooked up with some other like-minded people to do our own little pop ups for dinner here and there and may be going into business with one or two in the near future. I'm pretty confident in my own ability to cook a med. burger or not char a steak to 170F, but I guess I couldn't say that about everyone who went there.

May not have been the best use of my time, but at least I'm not in debt for it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Coffee beans aren't even a bean, c'mon.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Yep, having hand sanitizer in Austin is basically pointless. You know, except for the part where its extremely fast an convenient and doesn't take 30 seconds from start to finish. Also, the city flips their poo poo if you don't wear gloves for prep. I very much dislike wearing gloves when I break down proteins, city doesn't care, there must be 3 barriers, minus 3 points!

Yeah, I feel like gloves are always the wrong size or made of lovely materials and breaking on me, and management never gives a gently caress about changing up the glove order. They definitely slow me down for some prep.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Know what I tell my guys when they say their station/prep/whatever isn't done? Take a picture. You can tell me all about how hard you work, or how you couldn't make it to this or that or these or those, but I don't give a poo poo. You show me how things looked the second you walked in the door, I care. You tell me that AM or PM crew didn't do this or that, but give no evidence, I just. Don't. Care.

Not wanting to come across as a dick, but I've dealt with plenty of "woe is me" cooks to give no shits anymore.
Yuup. All of the above. It better be something worth taking a picture of too.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I thought breading and frying 150 soft boiled eggs would be a great idea. I am a loving idiot.

scotch eggs yo

Hauki
May 11, 2010

holy poo poo cracking up

Hauki
May 11, 2010

If you work (anywhere other than kitchen) in a hotel, you HAVE to take a 30min break. God knows my company would force breaks on culinary if an important enough guest didn't like it. Also, we have the choice of a break, and just don't really care for them. Most of my guys would much rather work their 8 and go home than work 4 hours, take a 30min break, and then work another 4.

e: maybe I should've said my hotel brand, but I'd assume most luxury places run the same way.

I'm sort of curious which brand because I used to work in a luxury-ish hotel and they absolutely forced us to clock out for our 30. Most people would go up, clock out for break, then either come back to the restaurant to make themselves something if it was quiet because the staff cafeteria was disgusting, or else they'd just go back to work, clock back in 30m later and continue working. That kinda rubbed me the wrong way, I mean that's fine if you don't want a break, but at that point you're literally working for free during that period.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

pentyne posted:

After seeing all the rage against the salt allergies I was wondering if anyone has ever told them its an iodine allergy, not salt. Although the people claiming to be allergic to salt are probably just full of poo poo regardless.

We never had iodized salt in our kitchens. But no, no one ever claimed that allergy while I was working. Although I've never had anyone claim a salt allergy either.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Rockzilla posted:

I spent about 7 months working for Compass at a University. I was promoted to Sous Chef in 2 months by virtue of being the only person in the kitchen willing to put more than the barest minimum amount of effort into my work. I was then transferred to a smaller operation on the other end of campus where I dealt with some of the laziest staff I have ever seen. The union gives everyone 10 sick days per calendar year and nobody on my staff had any sick time left by February. I saw people take breaks in the middle of serving customers. The dishwasher was never once even close to being fully caught up while I was there and the union made it impossible for me to do anything about it.

The pay was decent, but not even close to being worth it on account of the sheer apathy and incompetence I was surrounded with every day. I would come in early to cover for the never ending sick calls on the promise that I could take those hours off early, but then have my pay docked on the rare days that I actually could escape before 5:30.

I was laid off towards the end of the school year and couldn't get my paperwork for unemployment until I sicked the labour board on them after a few weeks of hounding. The place was a shitshow from top to bottom.

E - Should've known when I Googled "Compass (University Name)" and I got a bunch of articles about "Boycott Compass Day" being organized by the students because of the poor food at high prices, but I hoped that it was just University kids boycotting things because they're kids.

This sounds almost exactly like my compass experience, except there was also rampant theft by employees and when they tried to promote me I walked because I didn't want to be responsible for an operation that was dealing with all of the above plus being robbed blind with my hands tied behind my back. For a while I got transferred to a country club type thing associated with the university and was making my full hourly plus tipped out as a bartender but there was even less oversight there, so all of the other poo poo going down was even more ridiculous. Some kid got caught doing a line in the walkin, was pinned for pocketing $200 from someone else's register because they weren't keyed appropriately to prevent that, and a bunch of minis plus some 750s vanished during one of his shifts. He bounced around to a different location on campus, then was back in the same spot a week later because it turned out he was the son of our regional manager or something.

They brought in numerous people from outside to suss out what all was going on there, found out I wasn't stealing, drunk or high during my shifts and immediately offered me a promotion. This came with only a $2 raise, the current manager would be demoted but stay on under me and I would have been unable to fire any of these shitlords because of the associated union.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

A Man and his dog posted:

They refuse to pay the salad / expo person more then $7.25 an hour(who dose a gently caress ton of work) and wonders why we go through a revolving door of that position...
And this right here is why I left the industry

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Whenever someone bust out the allergic card we all go check out the ingredients on the box or whatever and go from there.

color me shocked

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Republicans posted:

I just realized today I'm the only person in our kitchen who stacks dishes on the racks perpendicular to me instead of parallel when I'm spraying them down before putting them through the machine. Does that make me weird or just correct?

If you're saying what I think you are, it probably makes you significantly more damp than most people in your kitchen.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Republicans posted:

I'm saying I face the plates to my side while everyone else faces them towards them. They're the ones constantly reaching around to spray the backs of the plates and themselves in the process.

oh then they're all idiots

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Whataburger is the poo poo.
I mean I haven't been to one in like 20-25 years, but there's a reason for that

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I will fight you. Where are you?

Well I live in Denver now

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Secret Spoon posted:

hearing tickets never stops. Its been 9 months since I have had to respond to a ticket, and I still hear that sound every so often in my own home. Like, I will lay down and watch tv or whatever and Ill hear it coming from my bathroom or the kitchen or whatever.

yeah this

i remember when i was still cooking i used to wake up at like 4am thinking i heard a loving ticket printer in my bedroom/bathroom/some poo poo

Hauki
May 11, 2010

DekeThornton posted:

All in all Sweden is a pretty great food nation at the moment, but the lack of good tomatoes is one of our great sorrows.

The other one is that I can't find tomatillos that cost less than 14 euros per kilo.

Holy poo poo. They're like 60 cents a pound here.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I loved expoing. It was like playing a hilarious time management video game.

Yeah I also loved expo. Sadly, the last couple places I worked we only had one for like a couple hours during dinner and it was usually some foh manager type. gently caress, you all are making me want to work in a kitchen again though :downsgun:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

the great deceiver posted:

Had a guest send back a guacamole burger last night because he didn't like avocado. I'm not sure I understand unless it was like the lamest attempt ever to get a comped meal.

Maybe he's bought into that recent shitstorm and thinks guacamole is made from peas

Hauki
May 11, 2010

and here I was hoping it was Toyota Tang

Hauki
May 11, 2010

goodness posted:

Smoke breaks are not legally required to be given so you must be the (un)lucky guy who had the boss that didn't know this.

No, but virtually every job I've worked, upper management or boss has been like "oh, you need a smoke break? No probs bro, just be back in 10" whereas if you're known as a not-smoker and ask for a break it's like "why, did your dad just die? If not keep your rear end right where it is"

Hauki
May 11, 2010

i would work under these conditions

edit: wait maybe not

Hauki
May 11, 2010

i hope all that was like, performance art, and not food, that you are serving to a customer, in exchange for valid currency

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Shabadu posted:

I'm back to working doubles on Mondays so our other Maitre'd can have a weekend and coming in this morning to see everything exactly the way I left it instead of in total disarray is so refreshing.

Man I used to love working back to back close - open or whatever precisely because of this.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

Hahahahahahahahaaaaa oh Halloween! Mid-dinner Rush, I go to the kitchen and ask why I have an appetizer at 18 minutes and two entrees at 25 minutes, kitchen says "oh sorry we'll get right on that"

*two minute pause*

"We don't have any bills for what you just asked for, so uuuuhhhhhh...."

I ask if the printer is out of paper

*blank stare*

The answer is yes, and it has been for the last 30 minutes. How am I the only person that noticed this???? Thank Christ I was short shift tonight.

how the gently caress do you not notice that you have no tickets coming for thirty loving minutes in the middle of dinner

like what are they actually doing during this entire time

thirty minutes is a goddamned eternity in the kitchen

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah no sever should ever do that.

The gently caress.

i had to do a double take because i didn't think i'd ever find myself in agreement with amahd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Naelyan posted:

I'm not American, it was slow as balls, and I'm still probably going to murder one of my staff even though I have interviews set up to replace her so I can fire her. She's that stupid. It's so loving bad, it makes my brain hurt.

gently caress this shortage of cooks and having to hire bodies regardless of skill.

In America, every time I hear this I think to myself 'huh, maybe I should jump back in, I really enjoyed cooking' and then we start talking wages and it's like "oh, you're offering $7.50/hr, now I understand why you can't find anyone worth keeping."

• Locked thread