Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

How about someone just tosses a ton of menus into a computer and have it tell you what to make

EDIT:
grapefruits and milk with crackers & all bottle of milk

where the heck is this from

I still can't get over "chocolate marmite" and "canned grapes a la service"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICqY2t7OGEI

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, guys. I go to restaurants because I, somehow, believe they will gently caress up cooking my food less than I would :confused:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Try searching with the specific keywords "dishwasher apron". Neoprene or heavy-duty vinyl are the two main options there, vinyl being cheaper.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Invisible Ted posted:

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that some uninsured people can't afford to get that epi pen, so assuming everyone with allergies has one seems off to me.

The price for an EpiPen in Canada is fixed at ~120 CAD, so it's fairly safe to assume anyone with a severe allergy up here has one.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Part of this is that they cost ~600 dollars for people not eligible for rebates.

Not in Canada; here they're locked at about 120 CAD.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Here's a video for front of house staff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhlR5WKDkC8

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

virinvictus posted:

We have one girl who will 86 poo poo if she's in a bad mood, and the owners allow it for some reason because they give this girl the majority of hours.

I'm leaving this kitchen at the end of the month, because this girl can't work pantry but she's getting twice my hours- while I work grill and sauté and can't get a crumb of respect.

but do you get down?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Torbo posted:

If you have or have ever had any problems with substance abuse, do not enter this industry, under any circumstance.

Why not? The tolerance you've built up will stand you in good stead when you start drinking to cope with the stresses of living :suicide:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I went out for dinner a couple weeks back and in the middle of the meal I hear a bunch of screaming from the kitchen, then about ten minutes later I hear sirens and an ambulance pulls up out front. When my server comes by to ask if I need anything I ask what happened and they say that one of the cooks was drunk and managed to spill a pot of caramel all over themselves. :gonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSU4g2wL9Oc

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

moonsour posted:

Who thought walking up to a customer and asking, "is everything hot and fresh?" was a good idea?

Probably the same guy who thought "I'd hit that" worked in reference to a burger.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I'd honestly prefer someone snapping their fingers at me than my name hollered across the room.

It's a hard word to pronounce, okay?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

should've gone for 13 :barf:s

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
"Welcome to the industry? Welcome to my two weeks' notice, fucko~"

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if I linked this video in the thread before, but I feel it needs to be linked now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kGtgBJKyZM

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
All I know is that the last time I referred to something as a "sushi canal" I got slapped, so...

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Gonna need a bit more context, but even from your description as "tongue-in-cheek" they really shouldn't use the word "slave" to describe people who work for them on something with a public university's name attached.

Edit: Thought experiment, come up with a craigslist ad in your head that uses the word "slave" that describes a job you'd apply to.

Possibly one where it's preceded with "sex", but no guarantees

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

the great deceiver posted:

In less than 48 hours I start a new job at an opening restaurant that already has 3 very successful locations in my city's major entertainment area. I will be in charge of like 12 cooks and will be very reasonably compensated as far as wages + benefits in my area go. I'm excited to see what fresh and exciting ways this will all end up hosed up with me hating life as usual.

If BOH is running smoothly, you can be sure FOH will pick up the slack in loving things up

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Hey hey hey, as a former FOH person I can guarantee they're gonna gently caress up regardless of how the BOH is doing.

Well, yeah, but it's more of a Murphy's Constant thing - the number and degree of fuckups in a restaurant has a minimum

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
You'll probably do fine so long as you're aware of the limitations of the restaurant's washer by the time the rush hits.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

It's honestly funny to me when the back of house complains about how waiters stack dishes or silverware or whatever, because I know you wouldn't last a week talking to customers.

Jesus, let's not get into the FoH/BoH pissing matches again. They're different jobs that are challenging in different ways and there are ways each makes the other easier and harder and it'd be nice if everyone crosstrained a bit so they knew those particular challenges and shortcuts to make the other guys' job easier, gently caress.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Your right, let's just talk about how FOH people should be fired for stacking dirty dishes wrong.

Thanks, glad you came around :thumbsup:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

A Man and his dog posted:

I'm not sure if you are talking poo poo but:

FOH is not hard.

What's hard is dealing with crazy rear end customers and all their request and multi tasking 50 different things and also dealing with dicks in the BOH who can't stop running their mouths.

So yeah add it all up and I'm surprised
I haven't had a stroke yet.

jesus christ we had this argument like one page ago, don't start this pissing contest again

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Reads like it's fake. Only review on the user's account.

On the other hand, it's better-written than the menu, so...

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm dating a girl who's got celiac and is allergic to most nuts and seeds.

There is like nowhere we can eat on a date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Scarodactyl posted:

To me the Mellow Mushroom is casual fine dining.

From my point of view, the Jedi are evil.

• Locked thread