Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

Liquid Communism posted:

Honestly, it's one of those things like culinary school, I figure. People who don't really do the math get enchanted by the idea of working in a Michelin-starred place, and don't really think about how bloody expensive living there is.

That said :

http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Line-Cook-l-New-York,-NY.html

Average salary $24k in a city where a 1-bedroom in the outskirts is going for $1500+? No way in hell.

Tell me about it, I moved to new York to work in a Michelin star restaurant, and granted new York is the most amazing city I've ever lived in, and what I learn on a daily basis is amazing, but...

I've never been so poor in my life, and I just found out we are closing for a month and we were all told get unemployment. I can't pay rent on unemployment. So gently caress that, I'm quitting. I mean I could try and find something for just one month, but the idea of coming back and still to not making poo poo isn't that appealing.

If you have a decent resume here you can make really decent money, just not in ultra fine dining. I'm looking at Jr./sous jobs and hotels right know for much more than I am making now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
I have an interview on Monday for a sous chef at a small hotel. I totally need this job because the fancy pants restaurant I'm at now has left me flat broke, and is closing in about two weeks for god knows how long and I'm almost can't make rent, so I have to find something else.

I already have sous on my resume, but that job was basically just watching the restaurant for the chef when she wasn't there, recieving orders, telling her what we needed to order, major production, and running lunch service. No actual number cruching. This job us going to involve much more managerial poo poo I haven't done before, and I'm just wondering what to say in this interview to help me get this job. I mean obviously I want and am willing to learn all of this, but with what experience I do have I am hoping to talk it up enough to get it.

I'm trying to stay really positive about this though, because I was applying to a ton of poo poo on craigslist, and I sent them my resume for a line cook, they called me back, I looked at the menu and didn't call them back because it was real simple stuff and looking for something more high end. Then about a week later I get another call/email saying they were reviewing my resume and were wondering if I was interested in a sous position instead. Then I called them back immediately and set up an interview. I also remember seeing an add for it on craigslist amongst all the crazy job searching, but since I set up the interview it looks like they pulled the add.

And momo noodle bar just sent me an email wanting me to come in for a trail for a line cook, but the only day/time I can do it all week is when I have the hotel interview, and that jobs a shoe-in becuase my old chef was a sous their and I told her to call them before all this other poo poo happened. I mean I'd rather be a sous and make twice what I'm making right now, but I don't want to burn any bridges or seem like an rear end in a top hat either. fuuuuuuuck. I can't afford booze right now either so it makes this entire situation extra stressful.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Yeah, the most I can do is be honest. I just got another call back for another sous job, but this one I sent my resume to as kind of a joke. The add said something along the lines of "looking for a dope rear end sous chef with mad skills for x location restaurant. Must have ill sense of humor." But honestly I'd rather have a lovely sous job and be on a decent salary than be a line cook. I'll pencil that poo poo in for Monday afternoon depending on what it is.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I put in my resume to be promoted to sous today. Here's hoping I beat out any outside apps!

Good luck, dude. I had an interview yesterday for sous at a small hotel with Hr and it really well, but the chef wasn't at the property, so tomorrow I'm going to have an interview him. And it's a hotel, so if that poo poo goes well the next step is drug test, backround check all that jazz, ugggh. I'm unemployed in two weeks I wish this poo poo hurry up.

I had an interview at another place today for sous of this little place and I sit down they are like we'll it's not really sous more of a lead line..."
"Is this a salaried position, at least?" "Oh well, it's starts hour and eventually if things work well..."

Thanks for putting up an add for sous and wasting my time, rear end in a top hat. I could have met with the hotel chef today.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Second interview for hotel sous job, this time with the chef. Tough interview but went well, and he told me without telling me that I did good and I(think, because they are not really aloud to say) I'm going to be put forward to the next step. But if they call me back, its for a second interview with the GM, and then I have to do a tasting if that goes through. Then drug test/background.

Uhhhhg why does this take so long? My restaurant i work at is closing in a week and a half and I dont want to have all my eggs in one basket, but I loving want this one. And stuff gets complicated when you have interviews/trails/work everyday of the week when you are trying to hold out for the one you want.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
There was a lot of "tell me a time when you hosed up x, y, z, a and b and what did you do?" and there is a lot of administrative poo poo I hadn't done before even though, and this a hotel gig so it's a lot of that. And some hotel specific poo poo like "progressive discipline"( writing people up and poo poo) that I hadn't done before. It was an hour interview and I was just getting blasted with questions the whole time.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
It's actually for a really small company, but the sous has a ton of responsibility. Basically there is one head chef for two properties and one sous at each property who are in charge all aspects of the daily operation.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Five minutes from walking out of a Starbucks and into the hotel down the street to do a tasting for a sous chef job. Please wish me luck. Need this job like a motherfucker. Unemployed in two days.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Tasting went alright. Was more of a chopped/dig through our walk in and make four courses, but I do a write up about that later when I have more time because I just got home and I have to wake up in a few because I have a follow up thing for Jr. Sous crack of dawn early somewhere else.

Need quick advice: sell soul and be sous at hotel where there is a lot if frozen poo poo and everything comes pre-portioned or Jr. Sous at new farm to table resto but for a lot less money, no bennies etc? Also tomorrow is my last service at current restaurant so whatever I decide it has to be like soon.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
So best loving news of my life happed today. Had a sitdown to talk about the Jr. Sous job, expecting to get some lowball salary offer that would barely pay my bills and I was probably going to take it because I really didn't want to work in that hotel, but it ended up being for about 10k more a year, and in a few months(new restaurant) it's going to grow into a sous job when lunch service starts.

Soooo relieved.... Today was my last day at my job before we close for a month, and because I pretty much just moved here so I can't afford to live off unemployment, or not work. And working only forty hours a week for the last two months has left me broke as gently caress and can barely get rent/bills paid. When I started I was working sixty so I could actually feed myself, and other such luxuries.

I've been vomiting in the back of my throat 24/7 for the last few weeks worrying about being homeless and stressing out about not working. It's not official until I sign my offer letter Monday, but for the first time in over a month I can breathe. Thank you goons for listening to my bullsjit, because I know my grirlfiend is tired if it.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Why don't you just put a pot of oil on the stove while your cleaning the fryer? If I'm working a station and have to clean a fryer, I always drop the the oil as soon as I can to get the thing cleaned and fry stovetop if a have to. Shutting down a station blows, and then when your done with that, having to clean the fryer(on top of all the other poo poo you have to clean) is the extra kick in the balls I don't enjoy at the end of the night so I try to knock it out first.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
I'm a serious lurker of this thread, but I'm pretty sure I am about to get a CDC job at a successful farm to table restaurant in Nyc and I'm making GBS threads my pants right now.final details to be worked out on Friday. Being a workhorse and not being a total rear end in a top hat might have finally paid off.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Thanks, guys! Yeah, I got the official o.k. this morning and I sign a contract and start next week. Super excited! Where should I move in Brooklyn (?)if I'm going to the union square market at least four times a week, and working on the lower east side? I want as quick of a commute as possible. I live in bumfuck A train queens right now.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

cods posted:

Thanks, guys! Yeah, I got the official o.k. this morning and I sign a contract and start next week. Super excited! Where should I move in Brooklyn (?)if I'm going to the union square market at least four times a week, and working on the lower east side? I want as quick of a commute as possible. I live in bumfuck A train queens right now.

Sorry, just quoting because I was on the bottom of the last page, but also how do I avoid a brokers fee, and what other websites should I look at besides craigslist?

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Goons, need a little advice. Long story short I'm a Chef de Cuisine at a relatively nice restaurant in NYC, but all of a sudden I find myself now the executive chef for not only the restaurant, our bar(another property) and two different catering companies. I kind of didn't sign up for any of this poo poo. Also, the main thing is I'm not getting paid for any of this either. Or any benefits "I'll send you the insurance paperwork tomorrow k thx bye!" Is what I have been hearing for a year.

I'm wondering about selling out. Private chefing/corporate, etc. I'm at the point now where the whole NYC chef thing isn't worth the ridiculous hours. I would like to see my wife for more than a few days, and I don't know... maybe have a day off every once and awhile.

I was wondering what you guys know about these things. I was working with a girl last week at an event (oh, we will just have the chef do it) and she is a private chef, makes more money than I do, works half as much as I do, and just cooks for a rich rear end family and there friends. That's more my speed right now.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
^ Nice. Those are the worst. I was having a poo poo day yesterday, woke up feeling better, then one of my cooks called out (third person in three days) so I'm prepping for three events right now, plus poo poo for specials and working garde... over it.

Also, personally for me when I was in culinary school, I wanted to be a "real line cook"(lol), and after I did that for awhile I was like ok, next step sous chef. After that, of course the next step is chef. I was super lucky to have the opportunity I had, and to have that on my resume, but what's next? Being another head chef and working myself to the bone for a few thousand more a year? No thanks.

New York is an amazing place, but a poo poo place is a chef without some kind of upper habit. After a really loving long day of babysitting, all I want to do is go home, eat something because I haven't eaten poo poo all day, and drink bourbon before I have to wake up early as hell and do it again the next day. And on that one scarce day off everything hurts, I sleep for about 14 hours, and then I order some something off of seamless. Not a fun life right now. I'm only 28, too. I'm sure a lot of you feel this way too.

I love cooking, and it's what I will always will do, it's the only thing I know how to do, but at some point I think there should be some kind of shining light at the end of the tunnel, or some sort of pay off for all the bone grinding work that we all do. I don't know, I'm just in a weird place right now...

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
My lunch cook asked if he could leave early today, and even though I'm covered up to my neck in poo poo to do for parties/tastings/specials for the restaurant today I said yes so I can cook lunch by myself and if any of my higher ups want to have a meeting they can come talk to the kitchen and talk to me while I work/birch about why we don't have a catering chef. Spite lol.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Hi goons, need a little help. Updating my resume so I can find another chef job. Here is the latest job, but I feel it's lacking. What else should I put in here? I'm the chef of a restaurant, a bar, a catering company, and a private event space and all that's included in that. I didn't want to spell out everything I do because that would be too much poo poo on a resume so I tried to keep it short.

EXPERIENCE:
New York, NY
Executive Chef
*the thing I'm the chef of*.

Responsible for daily oversight and management of the culinary teams at:
The thing I'm the chef of - Restaurant
The bar I'm the chef of- Bar
Catering company I'm the chef of- Catering Company
Private space I'm the chef of – Private event space

Responsible for maintaining and exceeding food cost, labor cost, and inventory goals within company guidelines.

In charge of the creation, planning, costing and execution of all menus throughout all outlets.

Responsible for maintaining our companies standards as far as being farm to table restaurant by maintaining great relationships with farmers from the Union Square Greenmarket market, as well as our vendors sourcing local ingredients whenever and wherever possible.

In constant communication with Front of house management, upper management, party planners, etc. to ensure the highest quality and execution of all foodservice throughout all of our outlets.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
I've been looking for another chef job in Brooklyn, because im burned out and over working in the city right now. For some reason I Googled chef jobs over seas and I'm super tempted. If I can take my wife I would totally get the gently caress out of here. Does anyone know anything about relocating and cooking in a different country?

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
So true. I went home and was so jazzed up, and I told my wife "hey, where do you want to go? Let's get out of here! Australia? France?" And was like "no... we just got here." Which is true. We've only been in new York for two years. I think we have all been in a place where it feels like you're suffocating. And I have a really lovely week ahead and I just don't want to deal with it.

Also, I'm pretty sure I signed something that says I need to give a months notice. I'm not going to leave them hanging by any means, but a month is kinda bullshit. Hopefully I don't get sued or anything.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

Turkeybone posted:

A month is bull poo poo? Didn't you say you were an exec?

Well, I was a cdc, but them I was gifted a bunch of responsibilities overseeing several operations without signing poo poo or even agreeing to it. And about the overseas... the other day I was ready to spit shine barnacles off of a rich guys dick in the south pacific to get out of my current situation.

But now it seems my sous is about to quit because he just got offered another sous job that pays more than I make(niiice), so not being a total dick I'm going to have to ride that out so poo poo doesn't collapse.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Just had a really good interview for a little spot in Brooklyn. They were basically like " we just opened, and our chef is a huge dickhead/not working out and we are parting ways. He just gave a months notice." To which I said "great, I have to give a months notice too, and I got my current job replacing a dickhead chef, because I don't roll that way."

It's basically a small scale version of what I'm doing now, without have to be in charge of a separate bar, a catering operation, and a private dining room.

As soon as I left there, got onto the subway, got to the farmers market she had already talked to her partner and emailed me telling me in lieu of a tasting (because I'm busy as poo poo this week) they are just going to discretely come into my current place and eat tonight, so we can get this ball rolling.

Ready to retire to brooklyn...

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Just signed a contract for a new place, and putting my month notice today at my job in the city. New gig is a little place in queens, and I will be making more money, and I will have better benefits. Also I don't have to gently caress with catering anymore, and I can be a restaurant chef, instead of a chef of like twenty things. Wish me luck. My current job is going to poo poo when I give notice.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

Turkeybone posted:

Creeper status: Where in queens?

LIC

I'm waiting for my boss to come over to bug me about some poo poo because we have like three parties today (and service lol), one of which I have to do (no chef at the pass nice), and throw my notice on his rear end.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
gently caress gently caress gently caress my job countered with a crazy offer. Dont know what to do.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
I have a meeting with my boss tomorrow, because I handed him my notice and he didn't accept it and he told me to think about it.

I'm one of those people who bottles poo poo up and I made myself so miserable that I sought out something I probably shouldn't take, in retrospect.

Also I had a lot of bad omens trying to get there too. Like every subway door closed in my face on my way, there was some hosed up construction on the g Train and it stopped every five hundred feet, it was maddening. By the time I finally got there (totally late) the wind had blown over their sign out front, and knocked over their flower pot, blocking the entrance.

It's been a really weird day.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

JawKnee posted:

how good was the counter-offer?

Part of the offer was for some poo poo down the road , that I won't believe till I see, but that part was for like corporate exec chef of some new poo poo for like 100k++, but I realize now I'm in a really good bargaining spot, so hopefully I can get a sweet raise now. If not, I'm out, though.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Good food for thought. Though accepting a counter offer one time was the best things I ever did. Long story short, my chef was a bitch and I was in a similar situation, and our sous quit. The next morning instead of asking me(I was in line to be sous and worked my rear end of for her) she posted an add on poached. I was pissed and I found something with better pay like immediately and put in my two weeks. She freaked, we has a talk and I went from like 10.50 to my first sous job with salary, and we got along great after that and it was one of my favorite jobs I ever. I think we both cried on my last day, because I was moving to new york.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Today was fun. Had to fire sous, because he did a bunch of dumb poo poo, and was starting that whole boh/foh thing. Also the counter offer was great, so I decided to stay. At least I am getting payed better to deal with bullshit. Have a guy though.

Also had to email the other person and let them know I can't start. They were like "you have to call me!!!" And as much of a
Dickhead thing it is, I'm not. I spelled out everything in the email (offer i cant refuse, etc)and apologized profusely for wasting their time. I even suggested someone that may be able to help them in their situation. :-/

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Honestly I feel a lot better and I know I made the right choice. I was under a lot of stress and bottled all this poo poo up and never let anyone know, and I made a rash decision. I sat down with my boss and let him know everything that was going on and what needed to change, and I felt a weight lifted from my shoulders. Also, it was for a good amount of money. The counter offer came out way better than the other job.and I finally get insurance and poo poo now.

Now I have to get my dick out of the dirt and be in a more positive mood...

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
The place I was going to go to was a tiny little stand alone in queens and I had to haggle real hard to get what I was going to get, not have a sous, two man line (and i was one of them)etc. My current place is a big company in the city with multiple operations and a lot more revenue coming in. Also more of a future here, where at the other it was pretty much a dead end. I just felt really desperate at the time.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Hey cookin' goons. I always lurk in this thread and maybe post every couple of years or so when I'm stressed about a job/going through some poo poo. So here's the long story short:

Was a chef of a restaurant in NYC, was going fine, then they started up a catering business(and like 10 other pop up type things) out of the same tiny kitchen and it was a poo poo show. No extra help, or pay. Working months straight without a day off. Owner was nuts. I parted ways.

After this I decided to find something closer to home, so I found a chef gig in one of the boroughs where I live. Money was an improvement all is was well. Then i realized the place was a total dirty disaster poo poo show and I have to, against my will, order the shittiest products possible, all the staff are idiots because they can only offer pennies so I'm stuck with people that are willing to work for less money than any place I've ever worked. So it's just babysitting. The food is really mediocre because I have to order poo poo. And without going into too much detail there is kind of a rodent problem which will always be a problem due to the location of the building, and I don't want my name on that poo poo. And somehow I have to work 6 days a week to get my full salary(super bullshit). Also I have to work the line wayyy to much to fill my requirements. Really high paid line cook here.

The bright side is some people I used to work for are opening up a new spot in the city and want me to be the chef. New spot is cool folks, and value time off, and have their poo poo together. Downside; I have to start out making a little less money. That's the only downside. And I'll get paid insurance after six months, which the new place doesn't offer(apparently I make enough to pay 500 a month for insurance lol) and the opportunity to make more money in the future where as I'm totally capped out here(owner constantly reminds me how much I make).

The hard part for me is that I've only been here like 4 months and I'm going to drop a drama bomb of a notice and that poo poo is stressful and everyone is going to be a oval office to me for the next month. But deep down I feel this is a good decision.

Thanks for letting me bitch.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Just got the craziest email ever. Had a trail last week, and he came in and we hired him. Showed up for his first day and was here for about an hour before he had to rush out because he said his wife was going into labor. I thought it was just a lie and he didn't want to work here because I can't pay him poo poo, but he's actually been emailing back and forth, and he was supposed to come in today to actually get started.

Then he just emailed me saying that his newborn baby died, but he can start on Monday. WTF? This sums up the kids d of place I work In.

Also I am avoiding my boss because he wants to batch at me about food cost. Apparently this place needs to run at 25 percent food cost. It was 26 last week and he is freaking out. Keep in mind everything here is expensive protein heavy and 25 percent is just unreal. The only way the chef before me did it was by cutting serious corners, like using Swiss as gruyere , ordering cheap China Town chickens, ordering select beef for steaks, fish that comes in old from places I've never heard of, and a bunch of other poo poo I'm not willing to do. So when I'm ready I'll call him and get bitched at(even though I've explained this to him) and be like yeah, your right, and send him my notice in the morning. Feeling a lot less bad about it as the day goes on.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

Captain Log posted:

Give the guy with the dead baby a chance. He might be on a lovely run of luck and need this right now. If he is keeping in touch, give him a chance.

Yeah, I totally am. It's gotta be horrible.

So tomorrow I'm supposed to be signing my new contract and I will put my notice in, but I've been having to bite my tongue all weekend just trying not to explode on everyone that they all loving idiots. Weekend highlights include:

Call from owner telling me;
1. How much I make, again. Just to remind me.
2. That's it totally cool to cut corners. No one's going to know. Food cost!
3. Threat of lowering my salary if food cost doesn't come down. (26 percent last week including lots of loss from poo poo that rodents got into! )
4. I have to quit ordering from a good reputable seafood purveyor because they are rude to our book keeper, and I have to switch to a really lovely one that sells bunk rear end gross seafood.food cost! A dollar a bag difference in mussels, that I'm sure have gotten someone ill. But you know, cost.
5. Asking where the new menu is for spring. Emailed him the menu a couple of times, and set up a date for a tasting, prepped all the poo poo, and he never showed up. Twice. Thanks for valuing my time!

Another guy and a dish washer put in their notice, because of school issues.

right as I was leaving last night at 12:45, the grease trap clogged/over flowed in the basement in what we like to call the "rape room" (years of poo poo just thrown in the basement where rats live) and me and a cook had to shop vac that poo poo out until two in the morning trying not to vomit in a very cramped room, whilst hovering over a 2 foot pool of grease water on a metro rack shelf trying not to fall in.

And I think I hired a guy who might be a goon. Awkward, talks a lot. Has made "handling meat" jokes about 200 times in the past 2 days. And says the words "In this industry" every 5 minutes. Yeah, I read kitchen confidential too dude, I got it.

Come ooooon tomorrow. Also after I sign contract, and email my notice I'm just going to turn my phone off for the rest of the day. Good times.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
We took care of the rodent problem in the restaurant, but it's only a matter of time before more poo poo happens. We are uncomfortably close to an abandoned building the is a rat jungle.

When it happened it grossed me out to the point of I don't eat anything there unless it came in that day. I mean I taste poo poo the cooks make because it's my job, but only a very little taste. I am just mentally scarred because I had them leave the lights on over night and I watched the security feed and at a certain point in the night bunch of not so little visitors came in and wreaked havoc. Again, we fixed it, temporarily, but still... Grosses me out. It took several days of this happening before he did anything about it. In which time it was me and my sous doing Charlie work and putting in steel wool all over the place. Then he sent in a half rear end handy man to bondo the poo poo, which has been working since the.

And it's new York, every place I have ever worked has tiny issues like that, but I've never seen some poo poo like this before.

cods fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 6, 2016

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Yeah, I mean a part of me feels really bad because it's only been a few months and we are going through a boh total turnover because the old chef poached all my cooks, so it's been rocky, but my Bullshit sensor started going off super quick.

Seriously life is too short to deal crazy poo poo like this. Being a chef is lovely and stressful enough.

Another fun one a couple of months ago when we had the blizzard, I called him to close the restaurant for the day because none of my cooks or me could get home because they were shutting down the subways. But you know, had to stay open and weather the storm. I had to walk two miles home in that blizzard that night because there were no subways and no cars were allowed on the road, and my sous chef fell down the stairs at the subway station trying to come in a d hosed his back up/destroyed his phone . And all day like every restaurant in the city was posting on Instagram that they were closing for the safety of their employees. Nice.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Speaking of knives, keep in mind I haven't been here that long so the crew I started with wasn't mine /trained by me, but I can't even keep my knives here. All of my poo poo got so thrashed I had to take my whole kit home. I would turn around, put down a knife, turn back around and a dishwasher(that only speaks French, they all only speak french) hacking at a box with one of my sweet Carbons. Thanks bro. Then I try the best way I can to explain that you never touch the chefs poo poo, but it falls on French ears. I came in one morning and one of the cooks went into my bag and busted out my sweet very rare sashimi knives and used it to slice cured salmon, and totally hosed it up. Two of my gyutos got turned into serrated knives somehow.

Set your knife down downstairs, go upstairs to grab something, come back down and my knife(all my poo poo is Carbon) has been run through the dishwasher with the rest of the silverware, and put on a magnetic strip with all the other poo poo knives.

So Last week I said gently caress it and and took everything home. I have one beater and on lovely China Town pairer that I use now.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

infiniteguest posted:

Our whole group stayed open for that. Apparently the am sous texted the dude in charge something along the lines of:

"Jefe, none of the dishwashers have showed up, most of foh isn't here, there's no hot water and nobody knows how they're going to get home."

The text response was: "stay strong"

That was it.

Also pm me for a beer! I wouldn't mind hearing hilarious horror stories like this in person.

(Although two is my limit.)

Will do, totally. I have so many. That day sucked. What usually is a ten minute walk from the subway turned in a 45 minute walk, and I arrived frozen faced and soaking wet. As soon as I walked in the kitchen I washed my hands and snow/ice off of my face. Reaching for a c-fold to dry off I lost my footing on the stupid loving kitchen mats we have to used and busted my forehead on the corner of a shelf. There was blood everywhere and I was super embarrassed. I still have a little scar.

Then all the brunch cooks couldn't get home, and most of them stayed at the old chefs place that was down the street.

No dishwashers showed up, even though one of them is the brother(they live together) of the salad guy, who did show up. One of my dishwashers got literally got a call from Africa from his parents telling him to go home because it wasn't safe. And thenI had to hear about that weathering the storm poo poo from the owner whole my head was bleeding.

We were annoyingly busy too, and the two mile walk home was poo poo. I loaded up on tall boys for the walk.

Then the next day, anyone who worked the night before didn't show up because none of them got home till like 5 and the morning and they said gently caress it, which I couldn't blame them for because I certainly didn't want to loving be there.

And the hot water thing, in NYC because rent is so expensive it's hard to convince owners to close and as a chef or kitchen staff you get put in illegal/immoral positions all the time where your made to serve food.

Valentines day, we had just gotten the last guests out and five minutes later a pipe busted upstairs and it literally started raining in the kitchen. Like raining. This three floors up brown piss water over the whole restaurant. We were lucky no guests were in there. We mopped up after they shut the water off.

The next morning they opened up without clean water. They bought a five gallon of water and they were using that. There was still dirty piss water leaking over the pass when I came in. The sous chef taped off pass for places you could put plates without getting dripped on. I freaked out as soon as I walked in and said we could get shut down, but no one gave a gently caress.

The a few hours later a pipe busted next door that flooded our entire down stairs and rape room in about an inch of water. This went on for several hours.

Then later that night a radiator pipe busted near the bathrooms and it flooded the women's for about three hours. I had to crawl around the rape room forever to find the shut off valve and two days later I got a sweet chest cold from what I can only assume was inhaling rat piss and poo poo dust from said rape room.

cods fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 7, 2016

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Finally got my offer letter from the other place yesterday and was up till 4am with my finger over the send button, stressing out about sending my notice, even though it's the right thing to do. I put my phone on silent expecting mad phone calls in the morning, but no. Not a single email, call or text. I checked Craigslist and they put an add up. Nice.

And I'm going to be in late as gently caress because I'm on a wild goose chase for some sort of mystery cheap meat samples that the owner wants me to get. Everyone is going to be a oval office to me for the next month or so, but hey. No Mas rape room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Also In this day and age what do you guys use to host images, for the remainder of my time here and from the past few weeks I have been taking pictures of stupid poo poo my cooks do, and I would like to share.

• Locked thread