Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I would say:

1- NYC, SF
2- Portland, Seattle, Chicago
3- Philly, DC, Austin, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
So, corporate dining is really where it's at, huh?

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

SlayVus posted:

So this is more of a thing dealing with how you treat your clothes than it does food. But I have some white chef coats and skull caps that have some yellow/brownish stains on them and I would like some help with removing them. The coats and caps are No Bleach items.

What are some products some of you personally use and will swear by to remove stains and such from your culinary outfits? I do know some of you chefs have laundry services and don't worry about this poo poo.

Oxyclean and Cascade dishwashing detergent.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

bunnielab posted:

How would that be made illegal, or does it last longer than a one shift "does dude's skills match his resume" type thing?

Simply because it is unpaid labor.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

GigaFool posted:

Three weeks into the Exec Chef job and I've finally got the new menu printed and in the books. They were using a printing company before, but I ended up doing it myself and printing it in-house to save money and to make it easier to modify. Now it's time to start tweaking the holdover items that I'm not happy with. Think anyone will complain if I change the chicken sandwiches/wraps to thighs instead of breasts?

People will always complain.

People are terrible.

Had one woman last week freak out on me in the elevator, when the manager went to go smooth it over she actually told him that someone like me should never dare to speak to someone like her.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
It's not a twelve hour day every day position though. It's a family that wants there to be someone on site at all times to feed them whenever they want. I'd say 80k is too low even considering room and board are included. They are essentially signing their lives away. If they're looking for a little Fillipina lady that might fly but if you're trying to get someone trained and able to execute at a high level (five course plated dinners for twenty on the fly) it's a stretch. The scheduling seems like something that would be worked out better between the two chefs in any case though. Realistically I'd imagine you could be "on call" and still asleep, just able to jump out of bed and get to work.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Yeah seriously, gently caress that place. There is no room for that bullshit in this day and age. You throw a loving pan at me and watch how fast that poo poo hits you in return.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Of course holding out for more money is a thing. If your work is valuable someone will pay you for it. There are plenty of back of house positions available with good benefits and good wages where you're not chained to a stove for 13 hours a day making minimum wage, you just have to find them and be talented enough to obtain them.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Turkeybone posted:

Sometimes I miss the restaurant biz, but then I look at the 5 cases of wine under my desk. And since I substituted that work life for developing social skills, it's alll for meeeeeee

There used to be this guy who worked for a wine distributor who came to my apartment on an almost daily basis. The girls I lived with hated him and made fun of him whenever he was gone but he brought them cases of wine and then cuddled with them on the couch so they continued to invite him over.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I've found consistently the best dishwashers are old immigrant men. They know not to gently caress around. Dishwashing doesn't have to be a rung on the ladder, you can find strong workers who just want to come in, put their head down and wash dishes. All they need is some respect. Don't talk down to them, don't allow anyone else to talk down to them, hook them up with misfires. Not everyone has the mentality that they must be on a path to a promotion. Many people are happy with the status quo. They work hard because that's just who they are.

Psychobabble fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 3, 2014

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Simoom posted:

its not so much a case as it is a huge box of gently caress-off enormous bushels. they say my speed is fine as i asked that question before ("does this poo poo really have to take three loving hours?" "yeah pretty much, im glad you're the one doing it!"), they just use that many of them. I wish they'd be less heavy handed on the garnishes, but at least i'm a prep cook and am not even touching the hellscape that is the Line....

...Until next week, when I return to one of the fine dining stockholm syndrome places full time!

30 bunches is not that much. Go in with a sharp knife, put your head down and before too long you'll have it done in thirty minutes.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Hopefully this is the right place for this...

I'm getting married soon, and our reception is going to be at a restaurant that's opening between lunch/dinner services (3-7) for just us.

They've quoted us a $500 flat fee (to pay the waiters and cooks, etc.) and then we'd pay menu costs for whatever we eat and drink.

How would we tip in this situation?

Looking at 35 people, probably $3500 - $4000 total at the end of the night.

The market and the number of staff would dictate the tip. If you do, don't forget to include the kitchen. Most servers will walk out with a couple hundred dollars for those four hours of work, while the back of house get stuck working an extra four hours at minimum wage.

Hell, you want a good party tip the kitchen before it even starts.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Murkyhumor posted:

Had our health inspection today, which required minor running around checking for violations while the chef chatted him up. Only thing they found was a pan of recently diced tomatoes at 50 degrees, he said we have to put them in the walk in to get down to 41 in temp.

Also mentioned something about how wild salmon should be down at 31 degrees?!? didn't cite us, and I heard it second hand from the prep cooks, but it was something about wild salmon having the possibility of parasites. I'd honestly never heard of that.

Was it smoked?

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I've heard $20 an hour or so if you're lucky. It's pretty dire.

You're only getting $20 at a hotel. The high end for non union is really $14/15. Salary for a sous is all over the place, if you're decent 40-50k isn't hard to find. If you go corporate the sky's the limit though. If you're just cooking at some no name joint, or working garde manger for one of the big guys you'll be lucky to get $12.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Go corporate. Hotels are great, but there are tons of opportunities in corporate dining in the city. I have one friend who runs an executive dining room for a bank, and another who runs the executive dining room of a university. I have a similar job and pretty much match their salary at the end of the year and only serve 3-50 people a day. It's great pay for not a lot of work and I've gotten to meet some pretty cool people.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I had a roommate who worked in food service, he once came home ready to collapse and/or commit bloody murder and he said that the only thing he had done all day was peel and devein case after case of semi-frozen shrimp. Did he piss someone off or is that pretty typical?

Maybe not super typical, but not that rare either. I once spent two days with a partner making 3k shrimp lollipops. You peel several hundred pounds of shrimp, skewer the best looking ones into a round then make a mousse with the remainder. Pipe one side, panko it, pipe the other side, panko it, then chill and deep fry while holding the skewer so it doesn't discolor.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Thoht posted:

I don't buy the idea that there's some shortage of competent cooks either.

I'd say it's the opposite. It's a shortage of dumb, lovely cooks who are desperate enough to get physically and mentally abused for minimum wage.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Tender Child Loins posted:

Has anyone ever done a tasting menu in the interview process? I'm curious about the logistics of it -- do you bring your own food, buy it that day, or use what's in the restaurant's walk-in?

A tasting menu, or a tasting? Making a dish or two on the fly is pretty standard and you work out of their stock, but if they're asking you to do a full on tasting menu with a dozen or so dishes then yeah most people would bring everything in with them.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Yeah I would go with being prepared to leave that day but still giving more than a months notice unless they are actively loving with you.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Thoht posted:

Any recommendations for good websites for plating inspiration?

Instagram. Search for chefs you like and check out the chefs who's pictures they like. Repeat ad infinitum.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
This whole thing is pretty amusing as I'm sure every single one of us has worked with you in the past. The lovely server who's career has peaked and sits around on his phone all day long while everyone around him busts rear end to get poo poo done. You're the reason this thread exists.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
An old place used to make five gallon batches of cheese sauce that never once broke, just built on a base of milk and cream with plenty of american cheese.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I was more referring to management. I am required to work 50/wk, as are the other managers.

Hourly employees should not be expected to work OT, but it should definitely be available if the business flow allows for it.

So is our management team. We're lucky if they show up for 35.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I've had people push open automatic doors that are closed, crawl under ropes then push through a literal wall of signs that blocks the entire entry and come in asking if we're open.

If no one catches them in time they will literally walk in and let themselves into the elevator and upstairs.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I think the ratio of assholes stays pretty much the same through all levels of wealth. Though it's definitely the "new money" that go out of the way to cause trouble, the "old money" just ignores you.

In my experience, royalty are always easier to deal with than tech bros.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

twotimer posted:

royalty arent a problem themselves, but their handlers are a nightmare.

Luckily we're in a unique position in that the only real handlers we deal with are from the state department and they're just here for security.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
We have super stocked kits in every kitchen, they get used mostly for the ice packs and q-tips.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Vorenus posted:

I hurt my boss's feeling today. Someone wanted bun on the side, he grabbed a bun with his bare hands. I took it out of his hand, threw it in the trash, changed my gloves and grabbed a fresh one. Maybe I've read the BFC Corporate thread too much, but I want to print "PLEASE DO THE NEEDFUL" in block letters and hang it up next to the State Health Dept. sign that talks about why you never allow bare hand contact with food.

You are 100% in the wrong.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Invisible Ted posted:

In my experience, sabayon holds really well at room temp in an isi canister, which also makes it pretty puffy. Dunno if that would work for you, but I know if you keep the canister pressurized,it can hold unbroken for multiple days.

This is the correct answer. But don't hold it for days.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Yeah, that's above your pay grade and not your problem. It's entirely on the owners. Don't stress about poo poo you don't get paid to stress about.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The problem is that David Chang is a manchild who finds the most expensive, bestest, etc. ingredients and then just loving deep fries them. Great guy, think he's doing Good Things for the industry, but at the end of the day, he's pretty goddamn mediocre.

Coming from you? That's pretty loving rich dude.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

TheSnowySoviet posted:

Yeah, it's all for labeling & dating. The context is that everything on every cook's station must be labeled and dated, and "some idiot bought the wrong tape" is a dodgy excuse that my chef won't accept. The sous is adamant that all the lovely tape (cases of it, I think) be used up first, but using it means that my station won't be health-code-compliant. Chef/sous are extremely well known in the area and abroad, and I don't want a rep as The Cook Who Can't Label Things, ergo I'm going to have to buy my own tape.

And yes, absolutely, the health inspector finding unlabeled/undated product, especially proteins, will get any cook I work with a written reprimand or a final paycheck.

If your chef says you must label, and your sous says you must use this tape then label with that tape. If the tape is so terrible how are all the other stations labeling with it? Don't subsidize a restaurant out of your own pocket.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I've done worse and a lot of people here have done a lot worse, but any time you're working 6+ hours and then have to come back less than 12 hours later is a bit bullshit. A bunch of people are gonna start bragging about doing 12+ hour shifts back to back with only a 4 hour nap time in between and that's on the days they're lucky
This past Thursday I did noon-11pm then came back an hour later and worked midnight to 11pm the next day.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Naelyan posted:

Yeah man. I've been cooking eggs for a bit of time now, I can usually handle them. My not-nonstick pans are hosed to the point of unless I'm oil poaching an egg in them, there's no way they're usable (for eggs).

This has gone on a really long derail. I'm touched that you're all so concerned about my pan situation.

Pretty much any pan can be made nonstick with a good seasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
In regards to interviews, the best advice is just loving show up. Seriously, for every job posting they'll get hundreds of emails, call in a dozen for interviews and be lucky if two people show up.

• Locked thread