Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, that preview has me sold already. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MykonosFan posted:

Thankfully most fans seem to be pretty on board with what the comic has become (some are still sad about losing stories they've read all their lives of course), I've picked up a couple issues since the reboot and I'm pretty pleased with it.

Also hilariously Penders released a new image from his upcoming ORIGINAL THE CHARACTER: THE COMIC and it's totally not ripping off SEGA characters guys

Is he teaming up with Christian Weston Chandler?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chris-Chan will have the final laugh if that happens!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

What's he got to do with it?
He's trying to get it boycotted because they made Sonic's arms blue. He got himself arrested after defacing a display in a GameStop then macing an employee.

EDIT: Jesus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roobanguy posted:

i thought chris-chan started going to therapy.
If she is, I'm not sure what it's doing for her. Even still, I think she has a LONG way to go before it'll really make a difference.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Jus' so we're on the same page, this is the sonichu guy we're talking about, right?
Yep.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dpbjinc posted:

Are you calling Chris-chan "she" on purpose? If so, that would explain a lot of what's wrong with Chris-chan (aside from the shithead abusive father).
She is now self-identifying as a lesbian trans female. While I don't personally think she's legitimate in that, I also think she deserves the same respect as any transexual, and I realize I made the mistake of referring to her as "he" above.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Akarshi posted:

I am intrigued by the Archie Humble Bundle. I used to read some of the double digests back when I was a kid, but I barely remember anything about it anymore. I do remember enjoying it a lot. Is the humble bundle worth getting?
It's worth it for Afterlife with Archie alone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess Street Fighter being an UDON license doesn't much matter. Now I really want that Final Fight vs. Archie comic. Gavok, go pitch it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Loved everything about Archie #1. If the writing and art quality stay this way I'm so totally on board. I realize Fiona Staples will be leaving after the first arc, but hopefully her successors are half as good. Her Jughead is loving perfect.

What happened that Archie is publishing so many good comics?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can someone better versed in Archie tell me if Jughead's secret origin is a new invention? I thought it was interesting, though I'm curious to see how he and Archie became friends given that Lil Forsythe was kind of a dick.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's a Back to the Future comic??

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Say Nothing posted:

This image will tell you everything you need to know.

That's a strange, new direction for The New Day, but I think I like it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Wrong talking animal franchise. They're unicorns, remember?

You're right. That's clearly Team BAD.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

poo poo, is this why the Archie Horror comics have been delayed to hell and back?
I assume that's more due to the artists than anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

Disney buying up Archie would only result in a sitcom for tweens and you know it. :colbert:
This is in the works already.

Unless :thejoke:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I didn't like it at all. It was boring (with a central conflict that was JUST in Jughead), the characters were all seemed weirdly mean to each other (and not just, like, Reggie being a dick), and it wasn't terribly funny or clever. Art was nice, but that's about all I can really compliment it on. I definitely won't be getting any more. (And yes, the swimsuit page was weird and I don't really know who that was for other than Hughes himself.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wade Wilson posted:

Because nobody gives a poo poo about bass guitar except people that play bass guitar.

Nobody cares about bass guitar until the bass line is missing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really preferred Zdarsky on Jughead. Ryan North has this really big problem with making everyone really wordy and explaining everything with lots of detail and making sure there's no ambiguity and that you understand everything. This is not too say I dislike it, I just think he had a style that slightly clashes with what I like.

This is also an issue I have with Squirrel Girl.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

I actually saw this the other day and spent $30 on the entire new Archie series based on the word I'd heard about it. It's really really good. I'm contemplating getting the other titles as well. So what is the full New Archie line? Betty & Veronica, Jughead, and Josie & The Pussycats? Is that it?

I think I prefer Jughead to Archie, actually, though they're both good. Betty & Veronica is hot garbage (based on the one issue I read), and Josie is pretty mediocre. Reggie & Me has been better than I expected, but I 'm pretty sure it's actually a miniseries.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pretty accurate, though they were just going off the trailer. Their speculation stuff wasn't on the mark as of yet.

I enjoyed it!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I mean, I would never, ever expect Archie to be sleeping with Ms. Grundy in the comics. She's clearly drawn to be much older, while TV Grundy barely looks older than the high schoolers. (Granted, given how these things are cast, she might be five years older than the actors at most.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think it's more that he doesn't really try to use hip teen-speak in Archie, knowing that Archie is supposed to be timeless, to a point.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Pretty much, except for the fact that the kids text rather than use the landline and Veronica being cut off from the internet being a plot point, it could basically take place at any point after Ferris Bueller was released. It reads something like a modern YA novel crossed with John Hughes.

Yeah, that's why I said "to a point." Making a comic without those things today would instantly date then but putting them in will probably make them relatively timeless for a long time. At worst they'll line nicely quaint in a decade or so.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Veronica Fish issues could have stood for a better inker, I think. I don't really have a strong opinion either way on her and Staples. I love Derek Charm, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

More accurate.

Veronica's wearing fishnets in this, huh?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edmund Lava posted:

Anyone read the Riverdale ongoing? I picked up the one shot and wasn't all that impressed with it, the previews seem like it's not worth the trouble.

I got the one shot and the first issue and that stopped. It's not particularly great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Probably not terribly, honestly. If nothing else, they don't have to worry about lawsuits from Ken Penders anymore.

• Locked thread