Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Xovaan posted:

I honestly want a Ruckus so I can zip around my neighborhood and its parks for entertainment. What have I become? :ohdear:

A fun-seeking person. But Ruckuses definitely do not "zip" by any definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

TheNothingNew posted:

But when there are 20 of you stretched out over half of a mile of interstate, you need to make some concessions. Namely, you need to loving break the gently caress up and let me in. Like, legally. You have let me merge onto the freeway so I don't end up on the shoulder like almost happened today. Even if it means breaking formation for a couple of minutes.

Actually I don't think they have to at all. Freeway traffic has right-of-way, entering/merging traffic has to yield.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

HNasty posted:

I'm #90 but #1 in your hearts, right guys. This conversation reminded me that this poo poo never happens to me. I've been riding for over 14+ years and I've never had anyone try to purposefully run me off the road, well maybe I have and just don't remember but it seems to be a daily occurrence with some riders. I've never crashed cause of gravel in a corner, or oil or diesel (which I know is euro problem). I'm not accosted by stories of uncle's neighbor's brother dying at 200mph when people find out I ride a motorcycle. I mean I've heard those stories but not enough that they're any sort of problem. People don't merge into me all day long, I don't know I'm sort of statistical mutant.

*edit, just remembered I crashed n8r's bike cause of gravel, but that was a gravel road not a few rocks in the road.

I have crashed once because of slick road surfaces and, after getting over my surprise (wholly uninjured, I was drat near stopped when it happened) realized how stupid I had been. It was my first time riding a new scooter in the wet and I decided that 10 minutes after it started lightly raining (for the first time in weeks) was the right time to test traction. Locked up the rear (intentionally), then the front (oops), then just tipped over. 100% my fault for trying - in fresh rain - to get away with poo poo I had only gotten away with in the dry (on that bike).

I've had some pretty close calls with cars changing lanes into me, pulling out in front of me, etc. but rarely close enough that I wasn't prepared for it and never close enough to cause an accident. When I have more than one such occurrence happen in a couple-month-long period I assume it's my fault and re-evaluate how I'm riding. Less often than that and I might be able to write it off as a crazy driver. The fact that almost 100% of my riding is in an urban environment opens me up to more of these situations, I think.

And there's only one person I regularly interact with that gives me poo poo about the dangers of two wheels. Saying "I ride scooters" fails to trigger the DANGER WARNING that "I ride motorcycles" triggers in most people.

So basically I agree with HNasty.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Linedance posted:

yeah, it really is mostly that. Ages ago I caught myself doing the same thing in my car, just sort of cruising down the highway, not paying attention to my speed. Someone would draw alongside and pass me, and I'd subconsciously think 'oh man I must have zoned out there and dropped below the speed limit' and gradually increase my speed to match. That's when I realized I was doing exactly the same thing that I'd witness other cars do while I was passing them that made me think 'what the gently caress is this idiot trying to prove? Why won't he/she let me pass him?'. It doesn't excuse the behaviour, but at least know that people generally aren't doing it out of spite or vindictiveness. You're still gonna get some kid who thinks you want to race when you pass him, but the speed creepers are just people who aren't watching their speedo.

At big intersections with multiple lights, like say one separate left turn lane and two straight-through lanes, when one lane gets a green everyone twitches forward. Usually it's the left-turn lane that will get their green arrow and then the cars in the left of the two straight-through lanes will twitch. I think it's the same mechanism that causes people to speed up when passed, too, most of the time.

Which reminds me of another major pet peeve of mine: stop light creeping. The light's red. The car in front is at the edge of the intersection, where they are supposed to be. The car behind them stops two car lengths back and then randomly creeps forward a few feet at a time until the light finally turns green. Or, if the car in front is a Seattle taxi, they just creep on the red light until they're halfway into the intersection.

JUST loving STOP. Just pull all the way forward, and stop. And stay there.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

People have different definitions for words. We had someone bring in an old Vespa to have a "restoration" job polished up, finished off kinda. They thought it was mostly rebuilt and ready to go. Maybe just needed some rubbing compound and new grips and a seat, right? Among the things wrong with it were a number of the cables installed with NO OUTER CABLE. Inner cables with no outer cables that were just run through the cable slots in the body. I mean holy poo poo.

Was it a bodge?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Get a GoPro, smile to the camera/show that day's newspaper before each leg of the commute, and mount it aiming at your speedometer especially in your neighborhood. It'll be a boring month of riding, but video evidence is king.

Maybe track every ride with GPS on your phone?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

The_Raven posted:

the PNW would just depress me to the point of suicide,

Aw, it ain't bad. Mild temperatures and the fact that it's a light rain, though persistent (for like 9 goddamn months) means it's pretty easy to ride year-round. And if the grey gets to you, just hop east across the mountains, with 300+ days of sunshine. PNW FTW.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Coredump posted:

When the hell is the KTM Duke 390 going to come to the US? Will we ever get a KTM 390 SMC? Will the fact that the bike is going to be made in India mean it will suffer quality issues? So many questions!!!

I dunno man but I look for news on that poo poo all the time. I want one pretty bad.

KTM's partnered with Bajaj in India to build it, and they've been building motorbikes for half a century - my friend has a '66 Bajaj Priya, which was a licensed Vespa clone. Bajaj was well-regarded in the scooter world until they stopped making them just a couple years ago. And while they started out making licensed/copied Vespas, their later bikes like the Chetak and Legend were of their own design, at least mechanically, and were rock solid (if ugly) utilitarian scooters. So I'd trust them to build a fine KTM.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do cops actually enforce the "left lane is for passing only" thing where you guys are? I have never heard of anyone getting ticketed, pulled over, or even warned for that around here.

I've been pulled over, but not ticketed, for it in WA* and WA State Patrol has said they were going to start specifically enforcing it.

I was in a car, driving on a semi-rural stretch of interstate. I had moved into the left lane (of two) to pass someone, and before I could move back over a car had entered the interstate from the right. That car then sat in the right lane close enough that if I changed lanes, I would've forced them to tail gate, and I didn't want to break my speed, so I stayed there. After a few minutes he changed lanes behind me and pulled me over, citing left-lane camping as the cause. I didn't recognize those drat new Caprices.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Nate Falls posted:

God drat it, finding scooters on Craigslist is so much harder than it needs to be because the site is flooded with dealers spamming their lovely Chinese Ruckus clones like 20 times a day. I just want to see a listing of the reasonably priced Japanese scooters with actual brands that people have heard of.

Also, everyone in this town seriously thinks their Ruckus with a Chinese motor swap is worth 4 grand. What the gently caress.

Yeah, it loving sucks. Now imagine you're shopping for a moped and have to weed through all those same lovely Chinese scooters that are mis-labeled as mopeds. Needle in a haystack, man.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Collateral Damage posted:

Hm, I've been riding some dirt roads recently so it's very possible that there's crud stuck between tire and rim. Gonna paint the edge of the rim and the valve with soapy water and see if I can find the leak.

I had an inconsistent slow leak on a front tire recently - on a new tire, even - and the soap spray trick revealed nothing. A new valve core fixed it.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Z3n posted:

This is pretty standard for all Japanese brands in the Godlands out here - they almost never do test rides.

I got a test ride on a Yamaha scooter from a Seattle-area dealer which surprised the hell out of me. I'd never heard of a Japanese dealer really allowing test rides, and certainly not on something with a profit margin as slim as a scooter. (I bought it.)

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

MoraleHazard posted:

I've seen hard core scooterati wear gear, the people who make scooters a lifestyle. That gear is usually jacket, helmet, gloves, and tall, non-motorcycle boots. The average rider, no.

This about sums up what I wear. Proper riding jacket and gloves, full-face helmet, regular jeans, leather-but-not-motorcycle boots. It's about what most of my scooter cohorts wear, too. Basically nobody wears more than that. In bad weather I add proper overpants and proper riding boots.

But of the general scooterist population it's open-face helmet and whatever clothes you already felt like wearing.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Man that guy bought a bike as a toy and had fun with it gently caress that guy

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

This is a really broad generalization. I've never lived anywhere that the interstate/high speed highway was the only real option, except in the more rural areas. The interstate highway system is new enough that it usually follows regular highways or roads that have existed for a lot longer. Unless you're traveling long distances, like all day, interstate doesn't seem to make a really big difference in travel time.

In Front Range Colorado, it's usually a lot faster to use the older highways to get between towns rather than I25. Definitely safer, too. Once inside Denver though, there isn't much can option than the interstates. I agree that that's the case for a lot of bigger US cities, but I've never found a big enough time difference traveling on 55 mph highways between towns and in all but the biggest cities.

So my point I guess is that 250ish bikes are perfectly suited for the majority of US travel, except in those cities where interstate is a daily necessity. And those cities are a minority of the miles of road in the U.S.

A 125-150cc scooter has been adequate in 2 of the 3 places I've lived and ridden. The place where it wasn't (Richland, WA, part of the Tri-Cities) is as sprawly as a place gets. There are parts of Richland that are only accessible by 70mph freeway or 60mph highway if you want to stay within city limits, or you can go through a neighboring town to get there on 40mph surface streets. The other two places (Bellingham and Seattle) are entirely livable without using the interstates.

Sub-250cc bikes may not be practical for 100% of commuters but there are still many millions that could get by just fine on one.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Yerok posted:

lovely trash company that makes "full face" helmets that are basically a 3/4 with a worthless chin bar producing a shameless copy of the Simpson Bandit.

Yeah, I've wondered this about the Gringo - does it meet DOT as a full-face or as a 3/4 (that just happens to have a decorative chin bar)? Handling them in person does not give me confidence. I wonder the same about the Bell Bullitt but at least they're a trusted brand.

I want a company to put the awesome simple, retro, colorful graphics Biltwell and Bell put on their throwback helmets on a fully modern helmet with, like, vents and a movable visor.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

clutchpuck posted:

I am terrified of scooters. Those tiny wheels and that instability. Grip the tank with your kn- what?

Every time somebody tells me they can't imagine being on a motorcycle but were thinking of getting a scooter, I explain to them my terror.

Plant your feet into the floorboards, guys. It's not that hard. Most of them have floorboards that extend back (as "passenger accommodations") that let you get your feet under your seat, or you put them forward to take your weight when braking.

The tiny wheels can be shaky but they're not as bad as you think. Just like on a bigger bike you stay loose on the bars and steady on the throttle and the bike sorts itself out. And I ride 10" and 12" wheels in Seattle, PNWers will attest to how poo poo our roads get. The tradeoff of insane agility is worth it. Countersteering? Nah, just clench an asscheek to initiate a turn! I've actually changed direction so fast with bar input that my front wheel has come off the ground.

You do watch the road surface ahead of you more than you might with a 19" front, though.

I guess I didn't realize motorcyclists were a bunch of loving babies, though. Why are we the ones with the wimp/scared/girly stereotypes?!

The gear thing, though, I have no answer for. I really think people assume scooters are just weird bicycles and that they're safe. But asphalt doesn't give a poo poo what you were riding before you fell.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
After 12+ years of riding of which 5+ have been in Seattle I finally had a bike get knocked over while parked. I've had bikes moved, spraypainted, license plates and a battery stolen, but never knocked over. That I knew of, anyway.

Most surprising is that the driver left a note with their name, number, and place of work (around the corner from where it happened). I left them a message earlier. We'll see how that goes.

Damage to the Zuma 125 is modest: broken brake lever, hand guard, and rear turn signal, and slightly bent handlebars - totaling $56 on Partzilla. If I count the tiny scratches to some body panels that tally quadruples but the bike's so weathered it's not worth the effort. I'm having my mechanic quote out labor even though it's all easy DIY stuff, just to have that info in hand. The bars are so slightly bent I bet if anyone else got on they wouldn't notice - it's not visible - but I can tell.

Riding home in fresh rain with no rear brake wasn't ideal, but other than that and the very-slightly-bent bars the bike is fine.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I have a 77 Vespa moped whose ignition source coil is grounded through the brake light. When the brake light goes out and you grab the brakes, it kills the ignition. This is by design.

I have a 69 Ducati 160 which has some of its lights running off moped style AC current from the magneto and some of the lights running off the DC 6v battery. And the tail light will get DC sometimes and AC sometimes, depending on which setting the handlebar light switch is on. And the ignition runs off the magneto. What's the battery for? Just to take up space, apparently. This is by design.

My '08 Genuine Stella - a Vespa PX clone made in a 1980s Vespa factory in India by an Indian company, LML - has the taillight run off DC when the engine is off and off AC when the engine is running. There's a "switching module" at the front of the bike that senses AC output and changes it over. This is kind of clever, actually, since it has weak stator output and this (almost) helps with the charging system. But it also catches fire. Italian design, Indian manufacturing!

Thankfully the ignition system is wholly separate from the lighting system so when your reg/rec fails and takes the battery and everything with it, you can still get home... with hand signals.

And it retains the kickstart, so when the patched-on electric start drains your battery, you can still get moving.

But you're still hosed when the CDI or the ignition coil go out.

When.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

drat you! drat you all to hell!

Of course no note, no witnesses (happened overnight). Thankfully, no real damage, either. Just some new scuffs and I had to realign my left hand controls.

In 12 years of riding I never had a bike knocked over until October when this very bike suffered a similar fate (more damage, but they left a note, so I profited). And then it happens again in December! The world's goin' to hell, guys.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Finger Prince posted:

I got a flip down internal sun visor in mine because I'm that cool.

I have a flip-down external visor because Arai :smug:

My first helmet with an attached sun visor. I wish it were darker and being exposed means it gets filthy. So then you have two layers of dirty visor, which is not ideal. (I know I should just clean them more but this is Seattle and it rains forever and everything is dirty)

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Hey for what it's worth I've been exclusively riding 8-horsepower-or-less scooters for 13+ years and haven't died from lack of speed. Read ahead, ride roads appropriate for your bike and/or have a bike appropriate for the roads you ride, and read ahead again.

If you're in a situation where power was the only way out you already hosed up.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Renaissance Robot posted:

Explaining what my Sena unit is to someone at work: "is it safe to be listening to the radio while you ride?"

I don't know, is it safe in a car? I get the same reaction sometimes when I tell people I use earplugs, they don't seem to understand how much more noise closing their doors and windows shuts out while driving.

I'm always surprised about the earplug thing. I think people both underestimate how loud cars are at speed and overestimate how important hearing is for safe riding.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I do hate loud pipes on CVTs. Even accelerating there’s so little change in RPM it’s just constant droning.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Mirconium posted:

That says up at the top that this is a Ranting Echo Chamber so I'm gonna put this here instead of in its own thread:

Suppose you see some guy in a lifted truck on a highway onramp. He mashes his pedal and you realize he is "rolling coal". You can see plumes of inky soot owning the libs. You feel so owned your lungs cramp a little. Then the truck's rear promptly steps out under load because duh and it goes off the ramp and into a ravine.

I'm sure the STRENGTH of the sentiment varies, but I personally would think 10 times before calling an ambulance to pry his bleeding body out of the wreck. I'd do it. But I'd REALLY doubt the decision. I'd be on my deathbed like "maybe I should've left that guy there, I don't really think I did the right thing" Most in the audience should probably agree that rolling coal is incredibly idiotic.

Then you go on your merry way to your buddy's garage. He shows you his shiny new full exhaust system on his R1. That new exhaust system is on a similar scale of terribleness for the environment to rolling coal.

STOP DECATTING YOUR EXHAUSTS YOU DUMB SHITS

The common refrain for this is usually "It's only a 600 CC engine, it's fine, stop being such a prius driver."

a) wrong
b) gently caress you
c) you piece of poo poo

Good published research from the US on motorcycle emissions that is not sitting in a filing cabinet somewhere in the EPA isn't that easy to find, but like most motorcycle research, we can usually find helpful analogues from Taiwan and other east asian countries.

So, how bad are the emissions from a decatted 125 CC Sym made in 1992?

Chan, Chang-Chuan, Chiu-Kuei Nien, Cheng-Yuan Tsai, and Guor-Rong Her. "Comparison of tail-pipe emissions from motorcycles and passenger cars." Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association 45, no. 2 (1995): 116-124.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/10473289.1995.10467347

(Cars 1, 2, and 3 are various 90ies vintage engines I4s, 1.6-1L in size, study was from 1995 so the cars and bikes are both newish and in good working order)

Headline numbers? An uncatalyzed 125 CC 4 stroke scooter produces ~double the NOx, 3-6 times the carbon monoxide, and 6-20 times the unburned hydrocarbons. The only metric where motorcycles are better is CO2, and here it is not by as much as you'd figure.

(California numbers btw, and California is a state with unusually onerous motorcycle regulations, show that motorcycles drive 1% of the vehicle miles and produce about 10% of the smog-generating chemicals https://www.latimes.com/news/la-hy-throttle11-2008jun11-story.html, so this isn't some weird asian problem, this is YOUR problem)

Keep in mind this is a comparison of 90ies car tech to 90ies motorcycle tech. Catalytic converters have gotten MUCH BETTER SINCE THEN. Euro 4-5 will make these numbers drastically worse in terms of a pound-for-pound comparison both of a decatted vs catted motorcycle and of a decatted motorcycle vs car. Keep in mind also, a 125 sym from 1992 is going to be one of the least noxious types of engine in terms of nitrous oxide emissions because it's tiny and compression is low. The higher the compression of an engine, the more NOx you should be expecting. And everybody who puts a full exhaust system on a motorcycle obviously also does a power commander to richen the fuel-air mix, skyrocketing the unburned hydrocarbons. Plus consider the engine size, 5 x for a 600, 8x for a 1000.

A liter bike with a full exhaust system and a power commander is something nobody has researched, as far as emissions go. But let's be honest with ourselves and say that it producing more than 20 times the emissions of a car in terms of NOx, 200+ times the unburned hydrocarbons, and 50+ times the monoxide is not an unreasonable estimate. 200 times. God loving forbid you take the cat off a two stroke.

The more contrarian among you in the audience may be saying: wull... wull... the 2 stroke still sucks poo poo even if has the cat on! Yeah. No poo poo. Stop riding two strokes, they're really bad for the environment. But also, yeah, no poo poo. That's why euro 5 is A THING. All those bigass catalytic converters that you're so happy calling ugly and heavy ARE MORE EFFECTIVE THAN THE ONES FROM THE 90IES. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT. THAT'S WHY THEY ARE HUGE.

So the next time some BikeBandit cautionary tale swaggers up to you with his noise-violation-mobile and takes another 5 years off the lifespan of your eardrums, here's a helpful visual:

This man stands in a football field. Parked on the football field are 200 mid-range American sedans. He bought them, parked them, put them in neutral, and turned them on. They're idling. When he walks over to his bike he explains to you that he's rigged up a clever system. Every time he revs his engine, the engines on all 200 cars also rev. IT GOT HIM A WHOLE 10 HORSEPOWER. EVERYWHERE IN THE REV RANGE! He's going to leave them parked here, and go for a nice ride. See you later breh.

Get hosed

Edit/PS: I would only think twice, not 10 times, about calling an ambulance for a full exhaust bro though. Full exhausts are callous child-like indifference to the welfare of yourself and others. Rolling coal on the other hand is malice aforethought.

Yeah this sort of environmental guilt is partly why my Zuma 125 and Ninja 650 will both keep their stock exhausts. That and the fact that, for one, neither sound great with aftermarket systems, and two, I'm cheap.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Elviscat posted:

Do they make 2-strokes with catalytic converters? How many miles until you have to replace them, like 100?

It is possible to make really awesome stock exhausts that sound great, my 250 Husky is amazing, and my FZ6 really isn't bad, little sewing-machine esque, but not bad when you step on it, plus it let's you sneak out of the campground at 5am to hit the road.

My Genuine Stella scooter (in my av) is an ‘08, 150cc 2-stroke and it had a catalyzed exhaust. It was also tuned super lean and restricted intake/exhaust wise to squeeze it past emissions. That’s a 1970s-evolved-from-1940s engine design - the Stellas were Vespa PX150 clones. The default move on those was to replace the exhaust and retune the carb basically to 1970s Vespa spec to get it running right - when I did it, it was a change from ~45mph to nearly 60 and what felt like 1/3rd more power.

They stopped selling the 2t Stella in 2009. Genuine’s Rattler 110cc was probably the last >50cc 2t for the sale in the US and I’m sure it was catalyzed. 50s are still around. They’d all be catalyzed.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Some friends of mine did the Scooter Cannonball a few years ago and made a documentary about it, Slow Ride Home. It's entertaining and, like the people who made it, does not take itself too seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Is that a linoleum-floored living room? My god.