Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You're missing the "of Italy" part of that phrase though, these things are relative.

Aprilia are the 90s Kawasaki of Italy, IMO. Throw loads of mad stuff at the wall, occasionally come up with utter gems, get completely ignored in favour of the others.

Pro-er tip - as a man you surely have daily experience of something that retains a small amount of liquid after you've finished using it, and should know how to deal with it. Don't worry, more than three shakes won't actually make the Baby Jesus cry.

This is prior to putting it in the hole, not when removing it. I make sure it's empty before I pull it out, it's when I take it off the rack and the last person (probably a woman) didn't shake the tip that it spills everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just turn my heated grips on.
I still have to buy new summer gloves.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I have no problem with ABS but linked brakes put me off. I've never ridden a bike that has them, but the idea of the front brake coming on when I push on the foot lever makes me squirm uncomfortably.

usually it works the other way around.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Really? I thought the whole idea of linked brakes was to ensure that the front brake gets actuated when stopping even if midlife crisis biker wannabe refuses to touch the Layer Dan Lever (tm) and prefers to ride like he's on a beach cruiser bicycle with a coaster brake.

The way Honda does it generally is by applying one piston on the rear caliper when you apply the front brake. I dunno about other brands.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Google indicates that they also apply part of the front brakes when you apply the rear brake. At least on the VFR800.

So turns out I was thinking of the BMW system, not the Honda system.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_braking_system

The modern Honda system sounds like it would be pretty invisible to the rider. The older system sounds deliciously complex, all secondary master cylinders and proportioning valves...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bugdrvr posted:

I have the opposite problem. I ride a lot but it's only back and forth to work. During the weekend I just walk to the bar or the market or the liquor store or the bar or whatever. I put that FZR together so I could maybe go on fun rides or track days but I just don't feel like going anywhere on the weekends.

yeah, that's me too. I'm a commuter warrior. Days off I've either got poo poo going on, or no real reason to endure the traffic and weather. Now that it's getting nicer though I'll probably go on a few more jaunts. Or at least I'll think about going on a few more jaunts.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Getting off of :rant: chat

That is a pet peeve of mine. I'm not sure of the actual legality of it, but someone trying to be "nice" and wave you through a 4 way stop annoys me for this very reason. Just follow the rules of the road. You're not helping anyone and actually slowing down traffic.

Same thing with pedestrians waiting to cross but instead crossing when you stop for them, they wave you on. I know a guy that got ticketed for that. When he said he was waived through cop said "Yeah, too bad, you still have to yield and let them cross." :v:

This has always freaked me out about Alberta /BC, coming from Toronto. As a pedestrian, if you even look like you might want to cross the road, traffic in both directions comes to a halt. The first time it happend to me, I was in Golden BC, and I literally thought it was some sick game the locals played on tourists. I was so used to just judging the gap and making a break for it, it didn't even occur to me that motorists would actually yield to pedestrians, even if there wasn't a crosswalk.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

apatite posted:

Almost all of our bridges used to be steel-deck, but they are getting replaced by concrete decks, there are only a few steel ones left on lower traffic roads.

For rant-based content, I went on a memorial ride this weekend with a bunch of harleys and gixxerbros, it was fuckin awful. I had people sharing the lane with me unexpectedly, passing me in the lane and then going wide and parking it as we went into corners causing me to have to pass them on the inside of the lane after they had just passed me, my earplugs didn't help with the sound of freedom and lives being saved and they all acted like they were going to die when there was some gravel or a pothole in the road. The itinerary was riding from bar to bar getting smashed.

They rode 120 miles, I rode 150 and most of it was not with them. The food was good at the end though and it was for a good cause...

Was it though?
Such a good cause that it deserves drinking and riding, and riding like a bunch of numbskulls?
I mean, yeah save the Arctic and all that, but don't kill polar bears to raise money.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The only insurance claim you're realistically going to be able to make is on your comprehensive, and unless you've got zero deductible, there isn't much point. Just get new lever, and if they're decent folk, talk to her parents about it. She's probably on their policy anyway.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They're paragons of sense and sanity compared to a quad though.

(I still sort of like the concept of those things though - I rode one around a carpark at a bike show once and it didn't seem any worse, dynamically, than any other scooter, and I'm a little surprised they weren't more successful)

There's usually a couple parked in the bike lot at the airport. I saw shitloads of them in Paris during rush hour however. I think it's one of those European things that just doesn't translate into English.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

So apparently motorbike shops are in the same category business as fishmongers, they shut on Sundays and Mondays... That's useful, you know, when you've waited the weekend to get something done, and you figure hey regular business hours I'm sure they'll do business, but I guess running a Ducati shop is lucrative enough that you can open whenever you like! gently caress. Not like I don't need this bike sold by the end of the goddamn week or anything. At this rate I'll end up selling it to webuyanybbike.com for a fiver or just leave it abandoned in a ditch.
Fingers crossed I get someone to lowball me on a 3 day ebay auction!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Skreemer posted:

It's a bit of a heritage thing here in the US. Most shops either raced or sponsored someone that raced with some of the store folks acting as pit crew. Sunday was for racing and Monday was for the sales guy to get over the crash he had on the track. At least out in the midwest if you find a shop that's open both Sundays and Mondays you're pretty lucky.

This place is pretty much a one man operation from what I can gather, some old guru. Got my bike serviced there and never got my logbook stamped so I was hoping I could just swing by and get that taken care of with minimum hassle. I kind of get it, but ffs at least put your opening hours on your website!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I also never got this. My local Honda place is open Saturday 9-12 and closed on Sunday, but open on Monday 8-7. Completely backwards. Who is going to the bike shop at 8AM on a Monday?

Commuters

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

n8r posted:

Hanging out in the left lane when you aren't passing is great for:
Getting tickets.
Having a pissed off driver who is going faster than you make an unsafe on the right pass.
Having a pissed off driver who is going faster than you when traffic suddenly slows pancake you into the car in front of you.

On a 3+ lane motorway I've never experienced any of these scenarios, for several reasons, and even the goddamn government recommends avoiding the middle lane on a motorbike. I guess you've got some pretty interesting ideas about blocking positions too.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well the government avoids being in the middle lane in any form of transport, you're supposed to move to the inside lane as soon as it's clear. Obviously on most motorways that involves hanging around in the middle lane most of the time because the left lane is full of HGVs doing 56 (who the loving gently caress though that was a good idea anyway?).

I don't understand why people think being merged into unannounced is such a huge problem in the middle lane, you're supposed to be watching out for these dickheads regardless of what lane you're in.

It's not a big deal, and you do look out for them, it's just increased workload, that's all. Instead of only having to actively check one side of you, you have to check both. M4 J3 and J4 are a couple of examples off the top of my head, where you have traffic merging onto the motorway from the left, and traffic in the right lane looking for their exit (Heathrow spur or M25) on the left. That cross-flow means it's just better to be in the rightmost lane until you're past it, or your exit comes up.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

^^^ I was going to post that video just to demonstrate how little they care -- hanging out in the left and going 40 miles an hour doesn't even warrant them getting out of their car.

They certainly don't seem to give a poo poo here -- Bay Area traffic is dense enough that all the lanes are full of vehicles most of the time, left included. Passing on the right / staying on the left I think is something that cops mostly care about in Europe (and I guess Washington, since two people from there have commented on it now). I also never heard of anyone getting ticketed for it when I lived in Ontario, Quebec, Rhode Island, Vermont or Arizona.

Getting piled into by someone travelling fast behind you when the traffic suddenly slows is a risk in every lane, and the sort of thing you should be looking out for at all times regardless.

I feel that getting undertaken by aggressive drivers is preferable to having said aggressive drivers suddenly cutting you off or merging into you when they realize they're about to miss their exit.

Ideally you should notice fast drivers coming up behind, and move over. We all fall asleep a bit sometimes, so it might take a few moments to notice them, but when you do, just move over. Move back once they're past, and continue on your pace. You should also probably never be in a situation where "traffic suddenly slows" and you risk being rear-ended. You should be able to see traffic slowing well ahead of the actual slowdown, and even in a situation where it's a sudden accident in front of you or something, on a 3 lane motorway there's two perfectly good filtering lanes to escape down if you can't stop in time.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

You got too LF, our military is barely 20% even including vets benefits. Englishmen aren't really in any position to lecture us on domestic matters.

Hell I think Triumphs are cheaper here, to boot.

Christ those comments read like a BNP newsletter!
(never mind the article itself, which somehow equates "white" with "well off")

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

Speaking of which, I just discovered this past weekend that I can remove my fizzer's half-fairing and leave the headlights and mirrors still attached to the bike normally. I just need to get a pair of fork-mount front blinkers and I can make my bike fully naked and still have two good headlights, and not spend $600 on an FZ1N conversion kit.

:dance:

You need to get some of those awful plastic eyelashes to mount over each headlight.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

yeah all the duke enacted was basically proto-predatory lending regulation.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Once in the spring, once in the fall. Simples.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

nsaP posted:

Don't get upset. You have, by yourself, seemed to equaled the number of incidents with cars(or people) that the rest of us have had over our whole riding careers. Artistic license is the nice way to say it. "Bullshit" is a better description.

Speaking of bullshit, I got a bullshit parking ticket last night on a side street at a halloween party, in my car, not my bike. "Parking facing the wrong direction" on a 1.5 lane, unstriped street. You know, where you have one sided parking and a wide enough road that 2 cars could squeeze by each other but usually one of the pulls to the side and waits? Looking up the laws I did break the letter, but what a pointless law here... I'd assume it was meant to stop people from diving across double yellows to park on the opposite side of the street, but it applies to me anyway with how it was written. I park the same way on the same kind of street where I live and never had a problem, though if I looked it up I'm sure I could have been ticketed every day. All of the cars on google maps seem to show that the cops have been a pain about that before.

Despite that I break all laws constantly while riding, it still pisses me off to suck it up and pay for such a trivial infraction.

I got one of those bullshit tickets aaaaages ago. It was added to a "parked more than 12" from the curb", when I was like 13" away. Technically correct.
Anyway, so I've been living in the UK where people would laugh if you told them it was against the law to park facing the other way, and I move back to Canada and the lovely street where I was living at had parking on one side. So first thing I do is come up the road, see a parking spot, pull in with an ace parallel parking job (facing the other way), and think my job is done. My friend is watching from her porch and tells me I can't park like that. I'm like what??
Yeah, turns out it's illegal here to.
Tl;dr
Arbitrary bullshit parking laws

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

hot sauce posted:

lol if your bike has never played a part in you getting laid at least once :dukedog:

I've layed 'er down, if that's what you mean.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Lexorin posted:

The only thing my bike attracts is middle aged business men.

sexy middle aged businessmen?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

Do you have fat, hairy, Harley riders in the UK?

Yup, they're called "motorcyclists" and they don't just ride Harleys!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I would be happy if Amazon Canada just wasn't disappointingly crap in general, no gift vouchers required. Canada's e-commerce sophistication seems to be somewhere on par with Australia, without having the excuse of being a day's flying from anywhere and surrounded by oceans.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It was 100% the 'correct' part. It's difficult to gently caress up because the 900 hornet only ever came with one radiator and no other model uses that radiator. The radiator is entirely correct and fits the bike perfectly, with all brackets etc lining up. The problem is that the upper outlet is supposed to come out around 1.5 inches, then elbow toward the motor. Instead it just elbows immediately, so the outlet is pointing directly at the frame spar and fitting a hose on is completely impossible.

Contacting the seller just got me a bunch of really concerned broken English and a promise to talk to the manufacturer so I've given up on that avenue. It can't be that difficult to just cut and lengthen an alloy tube surely.

In the true spirit of your bodged bike(s), cut the elbow off leaving just enough spare pipe to swage a lip on using a punch and a hammer, then slip on some flexible radiator hose and secure with lockwire. Coat exterior of mated parts liberally with silicone RTV.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Getting this thread back on topic, and because I exercised only the slightest bit of self control in not just mashing 'reply' in the pictures thread..

Manifest Dynasty posted:

It seems like I keep hearing "My bike was overheating" more and more as an excuse for why people break traffic laws, and my brain is starting to automatically replace it with "gently caress it, I didn't want to wait."

I'll be honest and upfront about it. Construction, a traffic light out, and cars completely clogging the the intersection against my advanced left turn light (that I waited 3 cycles to get to the front of), gently caress it I'm not waiting. I filtered a few hundred yards through the arterial clog before nipping back in to a lane once it smoothed out a bit.
You need to understand both your strengths and your vulnerabilities on a motorcycle, and being stranded in the middle of a 6 lanes both directions intersection surrounded by commuter zombies of both the shambling and the hyper aggressive variety is definitely a weakness, and to not use your strength in manoeuvrability to get out of the situation is stupid.

Tl/dr: filtering is the Good and Proper thing to do, for motorcyclists everywhere.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A helpful site if you ever need an old SA avatar for yourself or someone else:
http://www.muddledmuse.com/saars/

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Have you looked at MV Agusta?
Seriously
Actually you're probably one of the few people I don't need to say "seriously" to when suggesting an MV.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dear Greater Toronto Area riders (squids):

If you have ever wondered why your (and by extension, my) insurance rates are so high and you keep getting run over and killed and such, it is because you ride like a bunch of loving IDIOTS.

Oh and those microdot led flush mount signals you've got tucked up behind your rear tire next to your chain surrounded license plate-cum-fender? The ones that flicker like a strobe because you didn't bother with installing the appropriate resistor? Why even loving bother.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

Are they really trying to be friendly when they come up to you and ask you when you're going to get a real bike?

Because that happened to me at work the other day as I was putting my luggage on to my literbike to head home. :rolleyes:

Did he also suggest your leathers made you look fat? Sounds to me like he was awkwardly hitting on you.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The reason I never go to the dealer though is because they never have what I want in stock. "We can order it for you" they say, but I can order it too, faster than the dealer, right to my house and dont have to drive back to the dealer. The reason I'm there is because I want whatever thing NOW and I dont want to wait for shipping.

I seriously think there may be a case in going in the reverse direction of what youre talking about, just stock a ton of poo poo and make it worth peoples while to come in instead of ordering online.

In the UK at least, they've figured this out already. Dealers sell bikes, bike accessories and maybe a couple of bits and pieces if gear, depending on how big they are. Gear shops sell gear, only gear, some accessories, and no bikes. Unless it's a gear shop inside a dealer, like the Infinity branch inside Chiswick Honda (multi-line main dealer), or some one-stop ripoff shop like Millennium, the two are generally separate. The gear shops tend to have a strong online presence too, to supplement their bricks and mortar stores.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So I said something in the pics thread that has sort of crystalised something else in my mind...

I realised those words would be Martian to whoever made that thing. This is what really pisses me off about not just hipster bikes, it's everywhere - software design, "maker" culture, and of course almost every loving thing published on the internet. It's the complete neglect of craft - not a conscious rejection as you'd get with, say, modern art or a rat bike, but the idea that the craft is completely and totally subservient to The Idea, and that if the result is poo poo it doesn't matter because "I'm creative!".

This could probably turn into an anti-millenial rant but I'll stop here. And you can't criticise me for it because I'm creative!

It's been like that a lot longer than "kids these days".

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

That's not what this thread is?

No, this is a shrine to everyone's loathing. There's a difference.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I nearly hit a Cyclist today. I'm a tourist in a rental car looking for street signs, turned right a bit abruptly while he was coming up the inside of me. I feel bad that I didn't see him, I really should have been looking, but I wasn't. Of course he took the opportunity to have a go at me through my window (perfectly justified, though totally weaksauce with the insults), clearly itching for a fight. I just told him to be careful going up the inside of turning cars and to ride safe.
Oh yeah, mid 20s, no helmet, fixie, downtown Vancouver. Yes, I almost killed you guy, and I'm sorry. But keep that attitude up and you won't need me to do it, it'll happen all on its own.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Normally I can't stand the faux gang banger Harley riders with their stupid open pipes, but I can't think of a more appropriate venue than Critical Mass rallies for some oval office to dress up tough and go annoy people.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Here lies Lycra McFitbit - Jogger, Cyclist

"He Maintained His Pace"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The only appropriate way to rock this getup is to filter through heavy traffic, swearing and spitting at every car you clip.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm so used to people spelling "bear" wrong that for a second I had trouble parsing your post :byobear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9APdDdpe-eE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

I'd rather my bike be gone and there be a full insurance payout for me than come back to a hosed up bike with a screwdriver broken off in the lock. Especially considering that typically when they break the steering lock, they just thrash on it until it destroys the locking pin and the frame.

It's not actually about stopping the theft, they're going to get it if they want it even a little bit. It's about minimizing the damage they do to the bike so you either get the bike stolen and can go buy a new one or you don't walk out to a non-functional bike that you're going to pay a deductible on any repairs/towing/etc on.

No insurance company in the US I've heard of has ever tried to weasel out of a claim by saying it wasn't secured. I'm sure there's some examples, but that's why I pay a bit more for State Farm, they've been great through the handful of claims I've had over the years.

Ooh, how quaint. Look at the simple American, with his "honest business practices" and "culture of litigation that keeps it honest". We wouldn't want to be like him, would we. No, give us getting mugged by an unassailable financial sector and left for dead while opportunistic scavengers go through our pockets for what little change is left any day. I'll bet you seal deals with a handshake too. You make me sick.