Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

A co-worker of mine just passed the MSF and got his license. He's been looking and Ninja 400s, and finally got to a dealer in person. The salesman he talked to then went on an impassioned rant about how ABS is terrible and he'll never buy anything with ABS and neither should my co-worker. Also gave him the Layer Dan argument that it's better to slide to avoid a car. I think I've got him convinced to still get the ABS model, but what a great way for him to be introduced to the general motorcycle population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

builds character posted:

At least it’s an accurate representation. Still stupid, but accurate.

Yeah, I briefed him ahead of time that there was a high chance he would have more technical knowledge of bikes before buying it than the salesman. I was expecting the salesman to be old, but nope, like late 20s.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Kastivich posted:

Some supermotos have the ability to disable only rear ABS function. KTM 690 has this feature.

KTM is definitely doing ABS right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5S5Syeqa0

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

never 4get :moot:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm not sure. I've had it saved for years. I thought it was a purchased smilie at some point too.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I just assume the spinner noise is drowned out by all the other Harley noises

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I’m watching Greasy Hands Preachers and uuughhhhhh they’re all so insufferable. I like Shinya Kimura and Roland Sands ok but gaaawwwdd this movie. Guess I haven’t had a good dose of stupid hipster motorcycle bullshit in a minute.

Why aren’t there any more good motorcycle documentaries?

I thought Oil in the Blood was pretty good, though I would have liked more people riding bikes than just talking about them.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Phy posted:

OK so here's how it is at least for me

This is ok because it only took a few seconds to read and I didn't have to pay money for it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Goofus argues on the internet about chicken strips while Gallant enjoys riding his new CanAm Spyder.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've had a few of those at a 4 way stop. Car will get to one of the perpendicular lanes to me, stop, and wave me through before I have a chance to completely stop. Being nice breaks traffic rules :argh:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I saw another bike in my mirror for a few miles. When I stopped at the next intersection, a guy on a newish Rebel rolled up next to me and gave me a big thumbs up and fist bump. I don't think I was doing anything particularly cool, but it's nice to run into someone who's excited about bikes in general.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Really hoping you took this with your phone for maximum irony

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Harleys have cruise control :colbert:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I wish USAA would insure my bikes, I've been in a couple.not-at-faults with them, and they'll pay out with a waived deductible within a couple days. You tend to pay upfront for this privilege though.

For real. I get a pretty good deal from Progressive because of them, but i'd really like to have everything on one bill.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

FBS posted:

anybody want to try explaining what causes a man on a CBR300 to ride down a Texas interstate wearing a full-face helmet with no face shield

Was he at least wearing sunglasses or something inside the helmet? I've seen people do that so they get more airflow but not destroy their eyes.

I've been noticing a lot of people in NH wearing a half or no helmet, but with a full balaclava or facemask, plus glasses, and a hat. Seems like that negates most of the "I want to feel the wind in my face" arguments.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I just want Shoei or Arai to actually build the intercoms into their helmet. Give me some sort of active noise cancelling so I don't even need ear plugs. That inflatable earmuff thing that Jim found is the closest I've seen.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Already reported to the hague.

Put a flapper on that and it might come back around to cool

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

LimaBiker posted:

I once put on some eurobeat mixtape. I had fun that ride :)

Also some tunes that make it very hard to sit still on the seat. I wonder what the other people on the road were thinking. Probably at least a few 'Gah, that biker is having way too much fun, let's ask the legislators to prohibit something'

I usually turn music off once I get off road, but this Initial D playlist was fun for sliding around

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

And I thought my Buell's drain plug opening onto the exhaust was bad. The battery under the headlight looks fun too.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Motorcycle mechanic but using the engine from My Summer Car would be much more realistic. That had a button just to give the finger and swear.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

It's about 7% the length of a standard American football field. Sorry, that's the only other unit they teach us

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Most of them don't fit in American sized parking spaces, even if the driver can stay in the lines.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, when we can have Hondas and Yamahas with battery packs that can swap like power tools, I'll be all over an electric dirt bike.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Didn't he also try to compare himself to Rossi after one of his dumb crashes?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Can we get this guy to team up with the box truck living guy?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Rant time: Now that it's warm out here in New Hampshire, there are lots of bikes going by my apartment. Damnit: Down shift your bike. I swear most of the Harleys going by are at like 1500 RPM. Your dumb exhaust even sounds "better" at a higher RPM!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

in america people regularly carry handguns in their cars and will sometimes murder you for beating them at traffic.

It's bad that I don't have to look past today to find an example of it: https://www.foxla.com/news/la-driver-asks-if-anyone-wants-to-die-while-pointing-gun-opening-fire-during-rush-hour-tmz

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

His racing league is gonna end up being him jogging round the exercise yard making bike noises, isn't it?

But probably without the sacks of cash

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

My wife mods a few subreddits, and it seems like that across the board. The majority of her interactions with users are them getting upset because they're told they have to follow rules or deleting dick pics.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

That's a shame. Every review of those last year sounded great, so I was really hoping they'd get to expand from this year on.

Speaking of demos: A PSA for New England goons. There's a Yamaha demo day at Mom's in Foxborough, MA this Friday and Saturday.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

2002 Goldwing top speed: 130mph. Will not be verifying

Would you on a track? I always figured a new-ish (20 years old is only one generation!) would be pretty stable at high speeds

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

That was certainly more gold wing track content than I expected to come back to. I was just curious if Jim was gonna go wild with it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

right arm posted:

Lol fake temp plates rule

There was a brand new T700 parked next to me at work with a piece of cardboard with numbers drawn on for 2 weeks. It might have been the state's fault since an envelope shortage kept them from mailing relief checks.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Someone new is parking a Ruckus in one of the motorcycle lots at work. I know they're new because they're perpendicular to the direction every other bike parks :argh:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

When I parked today, there were 3 more scooters parked alongside the Ruckus, and a Kawasaki Voyager parked 180 degree to those (so still perpendicular to everyone else) in the middle of the entrance to the lot. I think it's time for someone to actually paint lines here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Every thing about the 120%, from the font, to the spacing, to the kerning, to the fact that they even managed to lop off the top and bottom of the zero disgusts me to my very core.

It makes me feel like they're going to say "no, that's |20 not 120"