Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Stuck on the side of the road cuz some dumbass on a Harley thought that he was too cool for gear. I have no idea what happened, but there's a bagger in the ditch on the of the road. Looks like he went wide into the opposite lane. A helicopter showed up 15 minutes ago, but it's just sitting here idle so I guess the guy croaked. It's really hard to feel any sympathy when my rear end is in full gear.

Also gently caress every cop here. I don't think you need three troopers and three deputies to do traffic on a rural road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Not around here. Deputies refuse to touch traffic accidents, instead pushing them over to troopers. The deputies were doing nothing more than gawking.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Wiggling the bars like you're about to lose it or standing up on the pegs works pretty good.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Holy poo poo gently caress this winter. Snow in mid April in Ohio. I try to will the cold away with sheer hatred and rage but it's not working so well.

And I don't know how you freaks deal with anything below 50. Last week I was good in the 60s but got stuck in the dark when it shot below 50. I had a 40 liter pack filled with various layers to put on. This included a tee shirt, ls button down, a flannel shirt, a fleece, mesh motorcycle jacket, and a decently thick lovely winter jacket over all of that. I wanted to die. I'm tempted to put a loving windjammer on my 919.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
gently caress speaking of cold again, I have to work 2 hours away here in about oh 5 hours. My cars are kaput at the moment. So bike it is.

It's gonna be 24 F when I leave. Plan is some flannel pj pants, jeans, thin insulated liner, and textile pants for the bottom. Top is gonna be basically everything I can fit while still being able to lift up my arms. Oh and gotta double up on the wool socks too. I don't know what the gently caress I'm gonna do about my hands. All I have are uninsulated leather gauntlets and some lovely thing work gloves to go over them. This is gonna suuuuuuck.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Well that 2 hour (4 hours with all the stops!) ride in the 20s to low 40s sucked way more than I could imagine. I was cold, but not painfully so aside from the my hands. Thin knit gloves, leather gauntlets, and two layer cotton/fleece gloves over that couldn't do it. Made a stop and got these $2 hats with chin straps to make some hand guards with but that was a complete failure.

Ended up buying a pack of hand warmers and used 3 in each glove. Worked wonders. But I ended up with a first degree burn on the top of my right hand.

I don't even think the worst part was the cold. It was the layers. My hands were cramped as hell trying to work the controls with 3 gloves on. The balaclava I wore is a thin fleece thing, but my helmet is a perfect fit. This means trying to stuff an extra layer in there isn't going to work. My head and ears felt like they were in a vise. In addition to that crap I felt like I was being choked constantly by the collars of my jackets and fleece. If I tried tucking in I could feel the blood being choked from my brain with the light headed and fading vision that comes with that.

gently caress that poo poo forever.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 9, 2014

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
So I had assumed the PO had never changed the air filter in his 20k miles of use. I'm up to 25k now so I ordered a K&N filter for 50 bones.

There was already a K&N filter in the bike. The first time a PO does something right and it bites me in the rear end.

On the other hand I discovered he dremeled out the battery box in a messy fashion to fit a slightly bigger battery.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
My landlady was kind enough to let me use a small corner of her gigantic garage for no charge when I picked up my 919 last year. The place is nasty as poo poo, full of junk and dead plants. My little corner had some tools and other various bike bits on the floor. Screws for the side covers, chain guard, sprocket cover, and a clip master link. I've been undertaking various maintenance/cleaning tasks on it over the past week or so. Every thing was fairly organized.

Maintenance guy sees me one day and says they're having a garage sale this coming Saturday for a church that shares my building. Why they would be in that filthy and dank garage instead of oh, I don't know, inside the wide open and spacious church is beyond me but whatever. He asks if I can slide my bike over a few feet. I tell him sure, I'll take care of it Friday.

I roll in there last night to continue my work and saw someone rolled my bike up against a wall. They then blocked it in with tables full of 90s inkjet printers and VCRs. The fasteners I had removed for the bike were scattered everywhere, when I had positioned them very carefully next to the bike in the approximate location for them. So that is gonna be a game of which screw goes in which hole that I'll have to gently caress with. The clip and o rings for the master link may have fallen into a black hole. All of my tools were haphazardly tossed in a box I keep chemicals and fluids in, including my realllllly nice clicker torque wrench. THE CASE FOR IT IS RIGHT THERE.

I'm pissed, but there's nothing I can do except post on the internet about it. Making a habit of engaging the steering lock from now on. Bitching to my landlady is just an invitation for her to say "Welllll now that you mention it you can't store your bike in there anymore." No real damage done besides my clip missing. Just pisses me off that some rear end in a top hat thinks it's totally appropriate to touch, let alone move my bike. I have a phone number and a door. Call me or come up and let me know if it's that loving urgent.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Holy cow bikebandit.com is slow as poo poo. Ordered basic stuff last Saturday and it has still yet to ship. Every vendor I have ever dealt with gets it done in the same day if ordered soon enough, or next day if not. I bet loving Yoshimura will get my order here faster and I didn't order that until Monday.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
I've spoken to customer service twice about it now. They told me it was in the "shipping department" now, but it's nearly 5P pacific and I've got nothing in my inbox. So maybe tomorrow? I ordered basic poo poo that should be in stock, no bike specific parts or anything. Bars, grips, generic turn signals, and bar ends. All stated "usually ships within 24 hours" Guess I should have went with revzilla.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
What a loving disastrous night I had.

I left yesterday afternoon at like 4 P to get to Asheville, NC and Deals Gap from central Ohio at like 3-4 AM. Stopped at a friend's house along the way north of Columbus to shoot the poo poo for a half hour or so and the next thing I know a half hour has turned to 4 hours and it's 9 PM. I hit the road, get to Columbus. I'm on 270 and that bullshit with my shifter happened. hosed around for hours thinking about what to do and lugging around in 5th-6th gear trying to find a Wal-Mart. Rigged up a lovely fix and went on my way.

Along US 23 south of Columbus I pass a truck and I see a flash in my peripheral vision. I didn't know wtf and looked around and saw this trucker flashing me with a camera or phone or something. I immediately think that he's telling me there's something wrong with my bike or luggage. I pull over and everything checks out and go on my way, but now I'm nervous as hell. I get to a gas station north of Circleville to fill up. There's just me and a cop. I ask the cop if he can get behind me and honk his horn or something if he sees anything immediately wrong. I'm sitting there with my helmet and gloves off waiting for him. He takes off without warning so I hurry up and get my poo poo on to get in front of him. He doesn't honk his horn or anything and pulls off.

45ish miles later I pull over to walk around and rest my rear end a bit. I go to reach for something in my pocket and realize my wallet isn't there. I look everywhere and dump out my bag. Nothing. I hope that I left it on the ground at the gas station and book it back. Nothing there and no one turned it in. I double back to the point I realized it was missing and slowly look at the road for 45 loving miles looking for my wallet. All of my cash is in it along with my ID. Do you know how many loving chunks of tire and other poo poo kinda looks like it may be a wallet are on the side of a road? loving hell.

At this point I'm 12 hours into the trip and exhausted from loving around with my friend, the shifter, and my wallet. I stop at a state park, take my meds, and knocked myself out on a picnic table for a good 4 hours. I would've been out longer but woke up to a guy mowing a few feet from me. I get back to the gas station thinking maybe I was absent minded and threw my wallet away in the garbage can along with my drink. They already changed the bags. At this point I have no cash, no way accessing my bank account, and my tank has had the low fuel light on for 10-15 miles. I know no one that can come down as far as I was on a weekday.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 1350 I bought 4 years ago for like $180. I figure it has to be worth 20ish bucks and I need cash to get home. The only idea I had was loving approaching people trying to hock this GPS. No one bit. Here I am annoying people with what sounds like shady bullshit and hating myself for it. Started talking to another guy who was stuck there because the shifter in his Grand Am was stuck in park. After seeing me failing for 20 minutes he offered $10 to me. I can't stand taking money from a stranger, but I got his address and I'm mailing him a $20 for being awesome as soon as I get this bullshit with my ID worked out.

Now I'm home and wide awake when I should be in a king size bed with a hot girl resting for an awesome ride at Deals Gap. Instead my rear end has to get up and go the social security office and the BMV trying to fix this. gently caress this bullshit.

Oh and when I got home I was way too exhausted to pull into the garage since it's in a separate building from my apartment. I passed out and woke up to a storm so now it's out there sitting in the rain. gently caress.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 19, 2014

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

gently caress, man. Hope the re-building of your wallet goes smoothly.

I lost my wallet like 5 years ago in my driveway. Got buried under snow but I found it in the spring. The process is a bitch if I remember correctly. If my dumb rear end didn't leave my social security card in there it would be a lot easier. I put it in there for an interview 2 years ago and every time I saw it I thought "I better take that out" but I only saw it and thought about it when I was away from home. I've gotta go to the social security office and answer some questions about my identity to get a piece of paper that says "astrollinthepork's social security number is XXX-XX-XXXX." This costs like $10.

From there I think I can get my birth certificate which is another $20. With that in hand, I can get a new license for another $26 and my social security card. Times have been tough lately so I haven't had much money to play with, and all of it was in my wallet. Poof, gone. I've got a craigslist ad up and made calls to the county sheriffs in the area I lost it. I'm not expecting anything. Oh and the shifter rod and nuts are another $10 I don't have.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Should there be an "in case of emergency" CA spreadsheet or something with people's phone numbers? I know that if one of y'all was in my area and was stuck needing gas or help I'd be in the truck with a can immediately if it was at all possible...
Yeah me too and your suggestion made me think of creating a google spreadsheet but I can see it being abused. An open directory of CA phone numbers is a hell of a honeypot.

Slavvy posted:

Oh, that's just loving ratshit dude.

I love how this is the punctuation mark to the entire story. Wallet? Incidental. Bike in the rain? Last nail in the coffin. :sympathy:
"Oh and when I got home I was way too exhausted to pull into the garage since it's in a separate building from my garage."
Immanuel Kant built my apartment building :downs:

The real punctuation mark is going to be when I go outside in the morning and find a rusty chain that I spent 6 hours on cleaning each link individually along with the sprockets.

I've been going through some poo poo lately and have spent nearly every day of it loving around with the bike every free minute to stay sane. Lots of new parts, every bit of maintenance besides a valve check/adjustment, cleaning, waxing, and painting. I have almost got this bike to be perfect and it looked really good with the silvery bits repainted with a more metallic silver. The only flaws are some marks on the swing arm from the dumbass PO letting a wrench rotate around and gouge the aluminum when he loosened the axle and some chips on the front of the tank. Got the clutch and stator cover painted too. One side was hosed by a drop by the PO, the other side was hosed from a drop the first night I had the bike. By the way, I don't think they sell this in NZ but Duplicolor's "stainess steel" is an almost perfect match for the engine paint on a 919. The texture, the level of metallic flakes, and color are nearly perfect. It's almost imperceptibly more silver than the factory paint, but you wouldn't notice unless you were told. Even knowing that I can't really see a difference at all.

Anyway, these covers were loving flawless. Hours and hours of work went into sanding and prepping, including filling in the gouges I left in the stator cover. I was super happy with the results.

I'm saying this because I forgot a part of the story. When I pulled over after the trucker was flashing me, I had one of those 0 mph drops. I don't know wtf. I remember getting back on the bike and it sorta just, tipping over all slow like as my leg just gave way to it. And what happened? Took all of the weight on the stator cover and completely loving ruined all of the work I put into it. I guess a bright side is that all the damage happened to the stator cover and didn't touch anything else. And it also gives me more work to do to stay sane! But drat it I'm all out of paint! It's always something. Always.

If that drat trucker wasn't flashing me with a camera, I wouldn't have pulled over and dropped my bike. I wouldn't have asked the cop to follow me and got in a rush to get in front of him, leaving my pocket unzipped to drop my wallet. And at the end of the day, I still have no idea what the hell he was doing or why. Where is he?! What was he doing?! I'll never know!

Really though, it's all of my fault. I should have tightened up the shifter rod. I should have double checked that pockets were closed like I do EVERY TIME. The rod is on order and poo poo can be fixed but god I want to be in NC so bad right now. Still lots of summer left so I'll make this up hopefully.

Also thanks for all the sympathy guys.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 19, 2014

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

HotCanadianChick posted:

Just a guess, but maybe he was trying to take your picture? Maybe he just likes bieks. :(

It was in the middle of the night and he did it like 20 times. Kinda hosed up to be using flash photography at a rider while you're driving in the dark.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Got stuck at a busy intersection for 5 minutes waiting for the light to change so I could turn left. I even pulled past the stop bar and gestured for the car behind me to pull up in case there was a sneaky traffic light sensor under the pavement, didn't help. Bike got up to a nice and toasty 255ºF before I spotted a gap in traffic and zoomed off.

I've been through that intersection tons of times, the light timing must change after dark because it's never been anywhere close to that slow.

In these situations I just make sure it's clear and go for it. Hope that if a stealthy cop pulls me over that they understand.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 1, 2014

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Had some harley guy pull up beside me in my lane at a stop light. Freaked me the gently caress out. We're not bike bros bro. Light went green and he peeled out. Lord it was difficult to keep the ego in check and not gun it past him.

I did meet an older couple at this group thing I did a few weeks back. Overheard them talking bikes and was shocked to hear they both ride ATGATT on Daytonas. Never in my life have I ever witnessed someone fully geared. Maybe a jacket, but with jeans and no gloves or helmet. Full face in shorts and t shirt.

I was reading a facebook group for news in my town. Basically a bunch of mouth breathers gossiping with poor English. Apparently someone got in a bad wreck. I don't know what led to it. I am assuming it is like most wrecks here and someone just went off the road for no reason at all. There were 60 or so comments all going "keep an eye out for motorcyclists" which is all well and good but that's the extent of how people view motorcycle safety. Loud pipes save lives and all that jazz.

No comments about being fully geared, safety training, or any of that no sir. Saw a rather ridiculous girl I know from seeing her around that rides as passenger with flips flops and shorts get really heated about making sure drivers know there are motorcycles on the road.

When I started, I was on a Buell Blast. I wore full textile gear from day one. I took an MSF course. I read books. Watched videos. Practiced for hours in lots. It was inconvenient, I looked like a dork, and it was an added cost of time and money. The reasoning behind people going without gear has been discussed to death. It's just stupid as hell. That's all.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

clutchpuck posted:

That's usually a good opportunity for a friendly "howdy, nice day out".

Maybe if some guy pulled up all friendly like to chat. This was less beside me and more five feet ahead of me. Less friendly and more rev his poo poo and wave his dick.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

clutchpuck posted:

Oh ok. I thought beside you meant beside you.

Yeah definitely my mistake wording it.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Stopped at a stop light with two turning lanes for left and right. I was in the left. A car comes up behind me, reverses, and then comes up besides me in the right hand turning lane. He rolls down his window and says "You know it's gonna rain right?" I give him the thumbs up and he reverses to get back behind me. wtf

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 16, 2015

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

RadioPassive posted:

Was it gonna rain?
Supposedly it was going to shoot to a 50% chance at about 10 PM last night (it was about 8 when this happened) but nothing ever came. So ah no. Made it home completely dry over an hour long ride.

Ever since getting a bike years ago I am suddenly an amateur meteorologist. I mostly know where and what time rain will likely come 2 days out.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Fairly poor choice of name and font for an import shop:

http://www.ricepaddy.com/

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

Akion posted:

Just got off the phone with my insurance company. According to the guy on the phone they pay NADA value + mods. According to NADA suggested list price is $6k, low retail is $3800 and retail average is $4930. Anyone know which they go with (assuming low)?

Which insurance company?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

Akion posted:

Progressive.

I just realized that I normally pay my insurance 1 year at a time. However, this renewal I only paid my first month (just 2 weeks ago) and that probably looks suspicious to them. Fortunately I *just* got the bike back from the shop a week ago so they can vouch for condition and that it was running recently.

I just called my broker buddy, says he's got 3 WR450's for me to choose from if I want.

Maybe I should trade my truck in for a van that I can keep the bike in? :p

Progressive did things on the far low side for me. Good luck. I find the internet's advice about negotiating the base value -mods is futile.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Killed another bird yesterday! Never hit a bird driving a car but my shoulder is deadly on a bike. Third one. Tried my best to dodge him but just wasn't quick enough. :(

Also god drat a goldfinch feels like a baseball at 60 mph.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 30, 2015

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
You guys do the whole naming bikes talk every few months. Let it go please.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
*edit* wrong thread but uhhh gently caress squids amirite

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 8, 2015

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And lastly and most importantly, there's an absolute 100% correlation between the kind of dickhead who will heavily tint their side windows (bearing in mind that by definition it has to be a DIY thing) and the kind of dickhead who'll have way too much attention on ensuring their headgear is exactly at the right angle off true to bother actually looking to see if they're about to murder someone.
Illegal or not, I have had several cars tinted way past the legal limit (needed for PI work) by several shops. Shops don't care at all. So it doesn't really have to be DIY.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
God drat I need to get out of this state. We got teased a few weeks ago with 70 degree days and now there is literally snow on the ground. I'm gonna go ride around in mesh gear with my visor off out of spite.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
The one time I went to a Honda dealer without calling (ever really) they told me they couldn't look up parts after noon for some reason. I just needed some loving bolts. I still do actually lol.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
My guy's distributor is Western Power Sports/Tucker Rocky and he typically does below internet prices for tires and poo poo.

But it might be the end of my relationship with that shop as they hosed up riveting a master link on last week and split the o ring. I'm not entirely confident he's gonna be cool about it either. drat.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Maybe. Last time I was in there he had a shipment of michelins covering the floor. 15-20 tires. Of course there were some shinkos in that. Real hole in the wall place really.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

PCOS Bill posted:

At least the fall made her feel guilty enough to bring you back inside.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Lol mid may in Ohio and it's in the 40s with rain.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Yeah but Austin lol

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Had a co-worker who is president of some motorcycle club ask me how much my bike weighs. I told him and he went "yeah well mine is about a thousand!" like it was some sort of thing to boast about. I then listened to him describe to another person about how he used to be "sergeant at arms" and was in charge of security for his club. What a joke lol

Then yesterday I went to get some groceries. Put my helmet and such in the cart and had the greeter girl say "so are you a race car driver or motorcycle dude or something?" I responded with "Nah this is what I walk around in. I don't want to trip and hurt myself." She took it totally seriously and looked at me like I was a crazy person.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Pull out your dick and start jackin

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
We wear leather and have big vibrators between our legs. We're all homos.

Now it's settled.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
No worries brush it's already settled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Am I the only one that can't stand the term street fighter for unfaired/wrecked bikes? Wtf is that even supposed to imply besides idiocy?