Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There is an EU directive which states that "quadricycles" can be street legal as long as they adhere to the rules set forth in the directive. For instance, it has to have a headlight, indicators, license plates, a catalytic converter and whatnot, but unlike cars, there are no requirements for seatbelts, ABS, ESP or any other safety equipment. So despite not actually adhering to the various safety requirements set for cars, you're welcome to register your ATV as a fully-fledged automobile.

You also have to pay the full registration tax, just like with a street-legal car or motorcycle. That means you can drive your four-wheeled death machine anywhere you like, including on the motorways, and it's not illegal to ride it without a helmet. Most dudes I see on street-legal ATVs wear shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops.

There are special rules for registering ATVs as tractors or mobility scooters, but that requires a 30kph limiter and there are limitations on where you can ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh yeah, blingin' bangin' chrome rimzzz are mandatory.

I don't think anyone's crazy enough to take an ATV on the motorway, but dumber things have happened.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KARMA! posted:

I know that, at least in the Netherlands, you need to wear a helmet if there are no seatbelts. Same goes for those humongous trikes old people like to rent in the summertime.

That's a particular Danish quirk. It's registered as a car, so no helmet is legally required, even if ATVs are exempt from the seatbelt requirement.

That said, you would have to be a massive idiot to ride an ATV without a helmet. Those things are notoriously prone to flipping over, especially on grippy surfaces.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Marxalot posted:

The way people hold their steering wheels is a good clue too. Beyond the obvious "Right hand on the wheel with the left holding a phone", people who have a white knuckle 10&2/11&1 grip on the highway tend to make more sudden/nervous movements. Also literally anyone with those paper temp license plates from the dealer.

Anyone with just the left handing gripping the top of the wheel and a bit of gangsta lean are the worst.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Schroeder91 posted:

I'll admit this is how I drive in the car. It's the only comfortable way for me.

How?!

I've tried it, and it's not even remotely comfortable :confused:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

No, I get the "one hand on the wheel" thing, a lot of the time I just keep my left hand on the wheel. But I mostly keep it in the usual 9 o'clock position or sort of resting on the bottom left spoke. Keeping it on top of the wheel feels weird.

However, it's probably because I like to sit in the "correct position", close to the wheel and seat back upright. I'm close enough that I can rest both wrists on top of the wheel with my shoulders still firmly against the seat, so if I grabbed the top of the wheel, my arm would be dangling instead of stretched out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Akion posted:

It's what happens when you have that sweet Brrrraaaaaaaaaaaaapp!!! on tap.

It's true, it's super addictive.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think the front axle on my XTX is the same way, I'll have to check. The biggest hex key I've seen was 19mm, but I assume a suitable socket is available?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shimrod posted:

I ... might visit Sweden instead.

Do it. The Swedes can seem a little haughty at first, but they're generally all nice people. And the hot Swedish chicks are hot.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, that's what happens when your ancestors are Viking raiders who only brought back the prettiest girls.

They still shagged the not-so-pretty girls, mind you.

Which is why places like Ireland, despite their nation's Celtic heritage (dark hair, brown eyes etc.) has so many fair-skinned freckled redheads. They're all viking bastard ancestors.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 14, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

OSU_Matthew posted:

Besides feeling lazy, weird, and potentially dangerous (were I to accidentally lean over far enough that gas could slosh out of the open tank), what killed the supposedly magical experience for me were the fumes. Good god how can you people stand to be that close to the filling nozzle?

Because gas fumes are awesome :buddy:

Ethanol-free gas is best, though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's really best not to argue with people that far down the rabbit hole. Someone will end up getting hurt.

Not if you wear a helmet :v:

The same basic argument was trotted out when seat belts were introduced and later made mandatory. A large part of the car-making industry fought against them. They thought it would negatively impact the public perception of driving, by making people aware that it could be an unsafe activity.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Coredump posted:

Which country over in Europe has all the nice bicycle infrastructure? Is it Denmark? Holland? Either way what got me was how many of their cyclist would forgo helmets as well.

I think the Netherlands are ahead. While we do have a lot of cyclists and a thriving cyclist culture in Copenhagen and the other major cities here in Denmark, it tapers off rapidly beyond those.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'll bite.

Sudan? Somalia? Afghanistan?

I wish everyone would just Levant let live.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 12, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Snowdens Secret posted:

Perhaps you should knock it off with them negative waves, dig how beautiful it is around you, and be a bit more righteous and hopeful for a change??

Me IRL when someone pulls a stupid-rear end move in traffic.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MoraleHazard posted:

One of these days I'm going to go visit the country bits of the UK England and Scotland. I get into London often enough, but it's spent either at a conference table or in some restaurant entertaining a client. I'd love to see the "welly bits".

Go to Scotland if you want scenery and challenging roads. I drove a rental Citroën DS4 when I was there, and I was extremely glad that it came with Michelin Pilot Sport tires, there were some real white-knuckle bits of road, let me tell you.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hahaha holy poo poo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I called my Bandit "The Fat Lady"because it was heavy, loud and not very elegant. Like a stereotypical Wagnerian opera singer.

I guess that makes me a horrible person :rolleyes:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

revmoo posted:

Hah I wish. Ninja 300 hits 90 in 5th. Try using that in the city

Get a GSX 1400, it'll tootle around at city speeds in 6th.

(And also do nearly 150 mph, but nevermind that)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Slavvy, there's hope yet! :v:

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/07...+%28Slashdot%29

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

captainOrbital posted:

Ask Revmoo.

(I would assume that it refers to stopping at a light while keeping your foot on the rear brake and your other foot on the ground (Though as motorcyclists we obv already have one foot in the grave anyway)?)

That's how I stop, transitioning to the rear brake right at the end. If you only use the front brake, the forks bounce back as you stop, which is both annoying and looks stupid.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Digital_Jesus posted:

... or you could learn to not be a hamfisted clutz with your front brake when slowing down. Its not binary you know.

:confused:

I let up on the front brake as I'm slowing down and right at the end I transition to the rear brake. That way I get a smooth but still firm and controlled stop.

I'm not joking when I say this, I have actually been complimented several times on the smoothness of my driving/braking, both in cars and on bikes.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 18, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

http://www.barryboys.co.uk/

The most white trash car mods you will ever see.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I was not disappointed.

This is who the Top Gear guys call yobbos, right?

Pretty much. Young people with ASBOs and questionable taste.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

malal posted:

Yeah, I sure as poo poo don't think the current management style of pants-on-the-head; hat-stuffed-up-the-rear end is really working for them. Hard to see or sit.

"How can be best alienate our fiercely loyal fanbase, all of whom have already posted most of their life savings into buying our sometimes aggressively mediocre and/flawed products?"

"I know! Lets completely change up the rules and structure of our most popular game, and force them buy a ton of new manuals and miniatures!"

Also this:

RIP Necromunda and Gorkamorka. You were too beautiful to live.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, I've been fed up with GW for a long time now. I was never a huge player of their games, but I liked their miniatures.

But some time ago they moved to CAD designs with an aggressive amount of tiny 0.01mm bullshit detail work, instead of hand-sculpted designs, I think they lost a lot of their charm in the process. And then there's the whole finecast debacle.

These days, I much prefer to buy from companies like Reaper Miniatures, who still have a whole bunch of old-school hand-sculpted designs available, that may not have the ultrafine detail of GW's newer stuff, but they more than make up for it with quirky charm.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 21, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PCOS Bill posted:

I play D&D and think you miniatures guys are dorks.

I plead no contest.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PaintVagrant posted:

I could be blue voltron guy, yeah.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Chichevache posted:

"No, the long necks and skinny tires on choppers are specifically to help them make faster turns."

Thanks, people who don't ride. Now explain why Rossi doesn't have a gooseneck on his track bike.

I'd love to see MotoGP run a race with huge rake and skinny front tires, just once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Lynza posted:

I did have the adorable young hipster at the convenience store tell me how "hot" it is that I ride a motorcycle, though. He thinks it's awesome that I'm saving gas/the environment by not driving a giant SUV or whatever.

*Rides up on ancient Bandit 600 with absolutely no emissions controls*

"Cool bike, you must save a lot on gas"

"I guess"

*Flowers die in a 2-km radius as I fire it up and ride away*