Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

If your wheels are the tubeless type, I would definitely change them at home.

You can make rim protectors out of laundry detergent bottle plastic, which is pretty thick but pliable. Three tire spoons and good tire lube, and bam, can't go wrong. (Might have to lay your body on the tire in order to seal it enough that air finally starts flowing into it.)

Then, you just need ebay-sourced wheel weights, and, that's it... economic (aka spendthrift) tire replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Funny, that reminds me of how my XT350 ignition cylinder always used to freeze up in low temperatures. Only that bike.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I used to own a 320i :allears: It had over 200,000 miles on it and it burned oil pretty bad, but it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Best of luck!

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

LPT (lazy pro tip): just spray more lube over the old gunk.

This has been my elite personal choice for the past 15 years. P.S. use gear oil and never clean your rear wheel for the cool blacked-out look that's more easily reversible than plastidip, maybe

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Manufacturers usually recommend chain maintenance every 500 miles. I suppose that this number arrives at the intersection of "satisfies owner's patience", "appreciable chain wear", and "we'll sell them a new chain eventually?" When you attend to chains after every ride, especially under the conditions that you describe, they can last the life of the bike. Most people just can't be assed with cleaning the chain after every ride, and the manufacturers recognize that in their chain maintenance interval.

Some old bikes (before the 80s and 70s) used to have enclosed chain drives with an oil bath, which was probably an effort at extending chain life before non-o-ring chains.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

The two times I use acceleration defensively, both happening to be on the highway, are: 1. Passing a truck (especially one that's blowing soot and smells like the Gowanus) and 2. Making space for people merging onto the highway. Every other time I use braking/deceleration.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

its all nice on rice posted:

I had to change the angle of my license plate after crushing it. (I lived up a hill and often hit it at speed).
Also the fender eliminator kit sort of fell of once. It was cool, though; I later found it on the side of the road. Loctite is your friend.

Finding a part that has fallen off en route is like winning the motorcycle lottery.

Also: Tiny part falls off of bike during maintenance and rolls into grass in fading light.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

builds character posted:

Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in the roadway.
Avoid entanglement of dog with your wheel spokes.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Tootle the horn trumpet with vigor, do not explode your exhaust box at him. Go smoothingly by.

I see... it's not that you meet the nicest people on a Honda, but that each Honda comes with a nice person instruction manual...

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Fill it completely with oil, including the exhaust and airbox. To the head.

But seriously, I don't think that there's anything you can do. ...Wrap the exhaust outlet hole (and any condensation draining holes) and the airbox inlet in 10 layers of saran wrap.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Canadians get free health care, but I hear that the car/motorcycle insurance market is AWFUL.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Make sure you're absolutely comfortable before you set out. Even a seam in your pants digging into your skin can turn into jeep disease over 130 miles, especially if the bike is folding you into an uncomfortable position.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I rode home from work in 17F degree weather yesterday with bar mitts... coldest part of my body was my face. A must for winter riding. (That, or the aforementioned heated gloves.)

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Sounds like that calls for a Scottoiler. For your chain, at least. Scottoilers can't help with POs.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I have NEVER heard a BMW with a pipe...

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Adjustable wrench for all bolts or bust.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

WAIT!

Nobody move, I'm a spider expert.

Are you sure you're not killing Argiope aurantia?

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

WAIT!

Nobody move, I'm an internet mechanic.

Are you sure that using heat on brake cleaner won't create deadly PHOSGENE GAS?!

(link to a geocities page made in '98 by someone who spells it "break cleaner")

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Can sprockets destroy output shafts? I had a very similar problem on my XT350—bike in gear, would not go, engine had no problem—and it turned out to be that the splines of my output shaft had stripped the inner teeth of the drive sprocket, due to the sprocket being loose or worn or whatever it might have been.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No slide hammering?

I'll have nothing to do with the V-Rod :colbert: as they did not provide the proper accommodations :colbert::colbert:

I rate the V-Rod :colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert: / :colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert:

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I wish you could go back in time and put a big duct tape "X" over each symbol to see if they were taking the piss on you just because of them.

Edit: Put the duct tape on anyway

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Back when I got a flat in my rear tire on an EX250 several years ago, I only had a couple of those CO2 canisters to fill it up with after patching it with a tar stick. The first one missed, and the tire still felt mushy. But the second one managed to make the tire hard enough to ride on, so I could get home. When I checked it at home it was only like 6 psi. (The tire still holds air with that patch to this day.)

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

How much torque do you want to apply? Hit the center!
*Gadget oscillates with variable speed depending on how inebriated you are*
"Nailed the center! With my +2 in wrist control and the 3/4ths ratchet this will do 133 unscrew damage"
You did 3 unscrew damage!
*Checks entity status screen, bolt has little crossthreaded icon next to it that wasn't there before*

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Aren't keyfobs essentially miniature computers by now? The way they take in codes and... descramble them and then rescramble them (or something). Or radio transmitters?

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

What if they made the batteries really small, like long AA batteries, so you could dump them out when they discharge, and literally fill up your electricity again?

You dump them out by releasing a vise-like mechanism which holds the mass of batteries in place between their contacts, then they fall out when you open a chute at the bottom of the bike/car/whatever. Then you close the exit chute and open the fill-up chute, and connect the battery delivery tube and it streams in like 200-500 of these batteries in an orderly fashion, like loading a GAU-19 magazine. Then you clamp them in the contact plates and you ride away, and the discharged batteries get taken to some kind of charge station to get filled up.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Every week, I ride 10 miles to north Queens in New York to buy fruit from my favorite market, and to usually visit my Mom. Last week, my EX250's 6+ year-old battery decided to manifest an internal short as I went to leave the parking lot of a bank, and the bike was dead. OK. That isn't what this rant is about.

It's about how when I pushed the bike to my mother's house to park it as I waited for a new battery, I did not expect it to be marked for towing due to being parked "too long". They got white spray paint overspray on my kickstand where they sprayed a circle on the ground around it, to see if I were actually using it or not. If I hadn't made the trip to retrieve it today, it might've been taken.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I forgot to mention that the "they" used in that paragraph refers to the police, but you're right, in that they're usually called on to do that by someone in the neighborhood. No idea who (it is NYC, after all. Might as well be sharing a flat with someone who lives across the country). Parking is at a premium... usually. What pissed me off about this is that that block has good parking availability (even if it's full in front of your house, you can easily find parking if you're willing to walk, like, 50 feet), and that I even took pains to make sure that I wasn't parked offensively.

I'm glad the new battery solved the problem. Like it's been said in the other thread, weird electrical problems = malfunctioning battery, 90% of the time.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

The first person on Mars will not be a astronaut, but a motorcyclist.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

On my 125, "top speed", "cruising speed", and angry redline screaming are all synonyms

This is the best thing about 125s: you can always use them to the fullest.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

some kinda jackal posted:

I went in for my indicator gear retraction mechanism fluid change like the service schedule says, but they found a wad of metal shavings in the magnetic drain plug indicator gear retraction mechanism so now the bike’s with BMW waiting on parts from Germany.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

My muffler finally blew a hole in its rusted self. gently caress. I've had bad luck working on exhausts in the past, so I hope that I can remove this.

Good news for me is that wemoto has a replacement exhaust for like $83 US dollars shipped. If I can get this old one off.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Slide Hammer posted:

My muffler finally blew a hole in its rusted self. gently caress. I've had bad luck working on exhausts in the past, so I hope that I can remove this.

Good news for me is that wemoto has a replacement exhaust for like $83 US dollars shipped. If I can get this old one off.

Just want to report that this bolt came off easily—Didn't even need half of my strength with a breaker bar and it started to smoothly turn. I'm happy that I had the prescience to apply copper grease to the threads the last time this happened.

I'm gonna spray the replacement exhaust with clearcoat in hopes that it will retard the onset of rust this time... this exhaust pipe only lasted 4-5 years.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

It's chromed. As a manner of habit, I assume. I doubt anyone makes anything else for a GN125 (most bottom-dwelling, food-and-mail-deliverying motorcycle).

I just don't want it to rust out as quickly, due to riding year-round. Might as well do something to it while it's new and off the bike.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

It might be worth noting that, the last time this happened, I replaced the rusted-out OEM exhaust with something off of Ebay, not wemoto. A $160 unit from Mexico (judging from how the listing was in Spanish, but the part, new. was located in Florida. The GN125 was still being offered for sale new in the other Americas at the time). It had this nifty little heat shield on the muffler part that the North American-spec OEM exhaust didn't have.

This cheap deal from wemoto doesn't have that, so maybe you're right, and I should try to "season" it... The rest of the bike is cosmetically written off, anyway.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Just gn owner things.

100%

Russian Bear posted:

GN125 BBQ Edition

100%

I've said this on this forum before, but an outdoor grill cover actually makes a really good (small) motorcycle cover. I use the Classic Accessories one. Even the EX250 fits under it.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

By the by, wemoto just e-mailed me and said that the actual shipping cost of said part is 220% what's listed on the site :mad: OK whatever.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Looking at the torque curve, the reason's obvious. Engine extremes are either high-torque, low-rpm stump-pullers, or screamers designed to balance themselves out later in the rev range, at high-rpm.

Torque is how hard the crankshaft will pull your arm off grabbing onto it; horsepower is how many arms over a certain period of time.

Only thing I notice about that chart, is that Sportsters might be a little boring with such a linear torque curve (compared to Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde two strokes (RIP)).

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

BMW does it too. (I mean, last time I checked.) The difference between BMW's design and Harley's design is that BMW has a dedicated Turn Signal Cancel button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I'll be eagerly awaiting this answer since it might shed some light into my own weird rich carb problems.

Might be worth telling that, in the weeks leading up to my carburetor pissing gas nonstop, I had a host of other minor fueling problems. Surging at speed (continuing to accelerate for a tiny fraction of a second after closing the throttle), stalling at stoplights once I revved it when the light turned green. Once I replaced the float needle valve all of these problems went away, which meant that the problems were all "too much gas in the float bowl".