Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

goddamnedtwisto posted:

God I wish BMW riders in London realised that loving fact.

I don't know if the R1200 bikes have them, but my Rockster has "City Bags" that aren't wider than the cylinder heads so I could filter with ease if it were legal here in Connecticut. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Slavvy posted:

gently caress this town. I've deliberately changed my route home from work to one that takes 15-20 minutes longer simply because it's less deadly and I'm still averaging one emergency swerve per day.

Not being snarky, but maybe look further down the road? From your post it seems like you're seeing hazards as you come upon them. Maybe proactively look for them about 2 seconds ahead of you?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

visor down -> glasses fog
visor up -> glasses get wet

e. It was raining hard enough that it stung at 30. Riding in heavy rain is a completely different dynamic.

The glasses thing sucks so hard. Can you wear contacts? Contacts + a breath box has done wonders for me in the rain. As long as I'm moving, no fog on the visor and no glasses to worry about. Also, you are right about riding in heavy rain being a completely different dynamic.

astrollinthepork posted:

gently caress.

Dude, very sorry to hear that. What sounded like what should have been an awesome trip turned into a hellish misadventure. :sympathy:

And I'm up for a closed private FB group. My garage, etc. is always open to CA posters.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Super Slash posted:

Cheap helmets, or at least mine is suffering (even with the breath guard)
- Standard England weather; fogs up if you exhale through your mouth or too heavy from your nose, it's like a crazy game of holding your breath
- Standard England winter; the visor should never, ever be clicked shut

I think there are expensivish balaclavas that specifically force exhaled air down and away from the visor. I haven't seen one in a while and don't know where to look though.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

KARMA! posted:

MY MOTOGP OVERLORDS

Dainese Space Overlords

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Chichevache posted:

I was going through a green light today in my Honda Civic and I nearly t-boned a guy on his phone who just made a right turn right in front of me. I was going 45 mph (in a posted 45), so he probably wouldn't have been walking away from that accident if I had plowed into him.

Someone was telling me this morning how he watched someone texting on their phone veer on to the rumble strip, then back on the highway, then back on the rumble strip, then back on to the highway, then back on to the rumble strip, then in to the woods.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I'm betting he never took an MSF course.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

I had the worst/best dream last night.

I dreamed that I was out riding with people and someone had let me ride their 690SMC. It was rad as hell and I was wheelie'ing everywhere and having a blast.

Then I woke up and nearly cried because I don't even have a bike right now, much less a kickin' rad KTM Sumo. I can't even get one in the states.

I have a credit card with a $4000 limit, good credit, why can't I just be like every other idiot American and just put myself in debt up to my eyeballs?

Maybe get a personal loan for a used bike? Lower interest rate, shouldn't be bad if you keep the purchase price to $5-6000. Just my $0.02.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

apatite posted:

Other side of the coin: I see these guys on the road sometimes and it just looks painful. I'm wearing my gear but still a bit cold because it's <50F outside, here comes a guy on a big cruiser -- the only thing he's wearing that he wouldn't be otherwise is a beany helmet skidlid thing. Otherwise just tshirt and jeans, and it looks like he's going to cry because jesus christ even if you are only going 45mph it is still cold as poo poo outside put on a jacket you stupid son of a bitch!

I've seen that in the spring here. People who have been jonesing all winter to ride and then going out in a t-shirt and jeans when it's in the 50s.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

nsaP posted:

If it's too low, don't accept. Keep looking around.

I echo this.

Coydog posted:

Getting ripped off by the insurance company. Bad luck to have a hard to find year. Bad luck to have a "trusted dealer" under GA law allowed to make a ballpark low ball assessment of the value of my bike. Extra bad luck that I can't find any recent sold 2003 models on ebay for proof of value, because it's some kind of special unicorn bike.

But hey! I can get an SV with a scrap engine for what they are going to give me so that's just great. And then I'll have to cover my own gear so there is that, too. I loved that bike, and now it looks like I won't be back on a bike at all for quite some time. I can't even find a KLR for under two grand right now, but some how my perfect second gen SV with under 30k is worth 1800 or, generously on their part, 2100.

What year is your bike?

Also, if you'd like, I'm in insurance. If you have premium, you can pm me and I'll give you my email and review your policy to see if the gear could be covered. Sometimes things are covered and insurance companies are just being dicks.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Coydog posted:

Nsap, Thank you. I'm looking, but I'm just not finding.

MoraleHazard- They keep telling me that would be the responsibility of my renters insurance. I'm not gonna hit my renters over 600 of gear, and if they really don't cover it, I'm done with them. I'll get premium and send you the info. While I am not hopeful, your expertise and help is greatly appreciated.

I just want what's coming to me. I just want my fair share.

In many cases they're right. Renters and homeowners does a lot to cover your property even when it's not in your house.

Depending on the motorcycle insurance policy wording, Liberty may be required to cover it. One reason why you should try to get Liberty to pay for your gear before going to your renter's policy is so you don't have to pay a second deductible.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 27, 2014

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I don't ride at the moment (football injury), but I had a discussion with a person at a party last weekend, where she said (and I quote): "People that ride motorcycles are the most egotistic assholes possible, risking their lives just for fun without thinking of their loved ones."

loving hell man. The IP conflict is a shithole, but the attention it is getting on a global plane is absurd.

The deadliest conflict the world has experienced for more than fifty years, a conflict involving troops from nine countries, spanning a battlefield the size of Western Europe, and which has resulted in more than five million dead. The first two years of this war, where some 1.8 million people died, the New York Times published eleven times more articles about Israel-Palestine (2000 deaths during the same time) and CNN 53 times as many. Guess which war I'm talking about (without asking Papa Google)?

The IP conflict is one of the most over-reported conflicts in the world.

This is a stumper, and I'm generally good with geo-politics stuff. CNN was reporting on this war so I imagine it was from the 70s onward?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It's the second Congo war together with it's subconflicts, the Ituri and Kivu conflicts, and the ongoing LRA insurgency.

My point is not that the Palestinians should man up because there's someone else that has it a lot worse, it's just very sad when people (out of a genuine belief) try to play off the IP conflict as the deadliest in the world, when the total death toll of the conflict since 1948 is lower than in anyone one month of 1999 in Congo.

As always, no one gives a gently caress about Africa.

Huh. My first guess was Rwandan genocide, but I knew the numbers were off for that. I'm not sure I'd include all those together, but no biggie.

Geirskogul posted:

Cycle Asylum ranting chamber: geopolitical edition.

Or rather, D&D light.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

Shaft drive supremacy :smugdog:

Until the day the BMW god of mechanical failure, Torx, decides to eat your shaft splines. :smith:

Also, re: extended vacation / retirement chat, I think a two-three week road trip would be the max for me. I haven't had any extended vacations and was only away for an extended period on two reserve deployments. I found I really missed my family the most. Even if I was having a blast on some motorcycle trip cross-country, two-three weeks would be the max. Now if my wife could get over her fear of the highway and came with me, that would be a different matter.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The splines don't go out unless you ride it 200k miles without greasing them. The final drive bearings go out, depending on the model, though.

I did a 3 week bike trip once, by the end of it I was getting fairly tired of packing and unpacking everything I owned every day. It felt more an adventure than a vacation, I needed to relax and do nothing for a bit once it was done.

I forgot about the final drives. My buddy had the final drives go when we were on a trip together, not fun.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Lynza posted:

Yep, I feel bad for you dudes with SOs who don't/don't want to ride.

We just did a ~200 mile trip for my birthday. On the way back, we discussed our plans to maybe go to the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone. Possibly Vegas at some point.

Our only main issue is that we lack the great jobs that would allow us to take 2 weeks off of work. Someday we'll have some more dumb debts paid off and it won't be as big of a deal.

My wife is terrified of the highway so she'll only two-up around town. I've been working on her to do one exactly one exit on the highway as a starting point. Still no biggie, an SO that doesn't ride, but doesn't mind you riding is worlds better than an SO that forces/manipulates you to stop riding.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

That really sucks. I had something similar in leaving vents open. How much rain could possibly get in there? Lots, actually.

All this D&D chat reminds me of one of my favorite jokes:

Heaven: Where cooks are French, mechanics are German, police are English, lovers are Italian and everything is organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where cooks are English, mechanics are French, police are Germans, lovers are Swiss and everything is organized by the Italians.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 26, 2014

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Slavvy posted:

gently caress my loving life. Literally three hours after I slam down $280 for a new chain and sprockets, the puncture repair on my practically new PR4 fails.

Hooray for being broke yet another month! In a row! :smithicide:

That does loving blow.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Filling up a few weeks ago, this squid comes into the gas station. He has the helmet on the helmet lock. He had just bought it and hadn't bothered to take it out of the helmet bag. The drawstrings on the bag had gotten caught in the rear wheel and damaged the helmet. It was an expensive helmet too, Shoei or Arai, if I remember correctly.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I saw some chickens, there was something wrong with them though because they had feathers instead of breadcrumbs.

It's nice to be able to see the stars though, that's literally the only good thing about the welly-wearing bits of the country.

One of these days I'm going to go visit the country bits of the UK England and Scotland. I get into London often enough, but it's spent either at a conference table or in some restaurant entertaining a client. I'd love to see the "welly bits".

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I just keep all my repair records on 5.25 Floppies that work in a late 80s IBM clone I keep in the garage. DOS spreadsheets are the best. Every so often I take an angle grinder to the monitor housing to feel like a hipster.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Akion posted:

I feel like we should message him en masse "Gee! I was looking for a [unrelated bike in keywords] but this Goldwing just Tickles my Pickle! Can I come down to look at it tomorrow?"

Book his day up with fake appointments or something.

That would be funny.

I'm not terribly surprised anymore, but reading sales ads still leaves still curious how people own a bike for 10 years and have less than 2000 miles on it.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Creepy Real Dolls :wtc:. Sweet Odin, you own a Ducati, just go out and meet real women. :psyboom:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Day Man posted:

I've been approached by women asking about the bike. Granted, I've been approached by weird dudes at the gas station a lot more often.

Edit: my wife loves the fact that I ride and thinks it's hot

I've caught women checking me out while on the bike, but if they say anything, it's almost always about the gear. Probably the best compliment I got once was not directed to me, but to my wife. One November, a couple of years back, I went to vote. Most of the voting volunteers are retirees, but there were two pretty good-looking women there. They didn't say anything other than "hi" and a smile, but unbeknownst to me, they were friends of my wife. When she came in later to vote, they were talking about the "hot guy in all leather".

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think the point is that the sort of person who is sexually attracted to bikers is attracted because of the person (or at least the idealised version of them). Nobody's going to go "Well I was going to gently caress that biker but I've just realised they've got the base model Panigale, not the R".

It's like someone who's attracted to nurses isn't going to go "Eh actually they're only a phlebotomist". (A terrible comparison but literally the only one I could come up with that didn't gross me out)

Do you have fat, hairy, Harley riders in the UK?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

gently caress me am I sick of winter. I even avoid the CA forums because I miss riding so much. It will be neg digits this weekend and I'm not talking Celsius.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

M42 posted:

Same. I've put together some winter gear I got cheap on closeout in the last month, but I'm still missing boots and gloves, so.... not this winter, I guess :(

Even with winter gear, snow all over + less than 20 deg F, it won't make a difference. It's tauntaun or go home.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Douche in an Audi is another tautological phrase. I'm not sure if they're worse than BMW drivers, but they're close.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Some less expensive helmets with internal visors have poo poo side protection as well because of the visor mechanism.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

nsaP posted:

Wow, I never see scooter riders wearing gear.

I've seen hard core scooterati wear gear, the people who make scooters a lifestyle. That gear is usually jacket, helmet, gloves, and tall, non-motorcycle boots. The average rider, no.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

What's the legal status of those lovely legoman helmets they do with the non-opening bubble visor and zero vent holes?

Legal or not I can only assume that in this country they'd fog up as soon as you put them on, though if that doesn't make them actually illegal they're still a crime against fashion.

Fashion Violation in the Second Degree?

I generally don't gear Nazi people I interact with, but if it's brought up, I always suggest to the gloveless to just rub their hands on the pavement and if it feels unpleasant to rub one's hands along dirty asphalt how much worse would that be at 25 mph, never mind 50 mph. Also, since boat shoes are a fashion craze right now I've used, "That's about as stupid as wearing motorcycle boots on a boat.

Chichevache posted:

If you're stealing bikes for a living then it is a good bet your life has already been full of terrible harm.

Some of them do it for kicks or for cash.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

There was an article recently about some kid road tripping to Washington or somewhere for Uni, has his life savings plus the college money that his grandma gave him, something like $20k in cash, and the cops pull him over and seize it on the grounds that only a bad person would carry that much cash. Oh, and they'll have to sue the police department to get it back, which will probably cost more than the $20k he was going to use to go to college with. Meanwhile it'll be put into the general fund, so the cops just got a $20k bump in their budget, and even if the kid wins, it won't be the cops who have to pay it back.

Yay 'murica. Thank God both people on both sides of the political spectrum are starting to wake up to the excesses and evils of asset forfeiture.

I think the best lesson I've learned on the road is just to ignore the stupidity. It can be frustrating, especially the people with their noses buried into their phones, but no amount of raging, blowing the horn, flipping them off, etc. is going to fix it. The only response most of these idiots will have is, "rear end in a top hat motorcyclist." So I just let them go and stay away as much as possible and keep my blood pressure where it should be.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

PhoenixWing posted:

I want the CHP to run some sort of campaign saying lane splitting is legal for all the angry fuckwits in my area. I've just gotten my license after passing the riding test and having my permit for 6 months, but, still like to practice every day. There's nice outlets near the mall that have an unfinished parking lot to the side, and I've been practicing u-turns, threshold braking and one foot stopping for the past few weeks there since it's huge and always empty. The exit to this area though is horribly designed - Traffic always seems to back up through the whole area, as the lights let only a handful of cars out at a time. Instead of dying in the 100+ degree heat, I do the smart thing and filter between two turn lanes to the front. Normally I get a few honks for whatever reason, but, today I had two cars I was filtering past blast their horn and attempt to block my path by swerving out of their lane :confused: And some guy at the very front in his truck yell something about cheating to me (Light went green, didn't wait around for angry truck guy).

I don't understand either, there's plenty of bikes in the area, and virtually all of them filter, so, this can't be a new concept to these people. I guess something about being stuck in a slowly moving traffic jam in the fancy part of town brings out the worst in people. Just a simple "Blocking motorcycles filtering is illegal, blah blah" on TV is all I'd like.

These are the same people, of course, who upon seeing you roasting in the sun or getting soaked in a downpour while waiting your turn(!) will think happy :smug: thoughts about their choice of transportation.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Catching up on the thread; glad to see Captain Orbital didn't get any real damage. :unsmith:

Also, re: Millennial Chat, from reading a biography of John Adams, the 2nd US President, he and his wife corresponded often which gives historians both a look into their personalities and life in the late 1700s. Adams at one point went on a rant about KIDS, THESE DAYS!!! :argh: so if people in 1790 were doing it, we'll be doing it for the rest of time.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Pope Mobile posted:

"2nd adult owner." Would someone other than a gray-haired BMW rider write that?

E: His sentence structure is terrible, however.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I resemble that remark.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Pope Mobile posted:

Do you use the lasers for cavity removal or still have drills?

Neither; they just pulled my teeth. I have wooden ones, just like George Washington.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Ripoff posted:

Dear person who hit my parked bike last night and ran without leaving information:

I hope you get an incurable, insuppressible version of genital herpes that causes searing pain on your junk for the remainder of your life. Also I hope you lose a leg, and your kid becomes an infamous serial killer or something, I don't know. gently caress you.

What a colossal douche.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

astrollinthepork posted:

Had a co-worker who is president of some motorcycle club ask me how much my bike weighs. I told him and he went "yeah well mine is about a thousand!" like it was some sort of thing to boast about. I then listened to him describe to another person about how he used to be "sergeant at arms" and was in charge of security for his club. What a joke lol

Then yesterday I went to get some groceries. Put my helmet and such in the cart and had the greeter girl say "so are you a race car driver or motorcycle dude or something?" I responded with "Nah this is what I walk around in. I don't want to trip and hurt myself." She took it totally seriously and looked at me like I was a crazy person.

:haw: I've answered that stupid question with, "No, but GEICO saves me 15% if I wear this stuff."

Also, half the reason why half the people ride motorcycles is so they can wear leather.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Keket posted:

So for the last couple of days a group has been trying to steal my friends scooter, first night they just tried getting the steering lock broken before they where chased off, today this.

He lives right opposite a police station.

loving London.

The cops will be interested once your buddy lays a hand on the perps. The cops will then arrest your buddy.

Chichevache posted:

Jesus. When you say no protective gear, that's including a helmet? :cripes:

It's how so many roll around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Keket posted:

I was walking back from the shops yesterday, waiting to cross the road and looking at a guy in complete highvis (loving everything, helmet jacket gloves pants backpack) sitting on his bandit in traffic, who seemingly was getting [i[very[/i] pissed off at the static bmw infront of him, revving his engine and doing the usual hand motions. Because, bmw? Like for the entire time i was waiting for the light on my side of the road the bmw hadn't done anything glaring.

What made it all funny for me though was that road is wide enough that you could filter a loving goldwing down the center, but he didn't.

There's a point where ~safety~ can be taken to extremes.