Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
^^ Sorry to hear that people keep pranking you with KTM work.

On ~MY ZERO~ you can turn off the headlight, by abusing a design flaw in the hi/lo switch. I’ve heard that this was kept by Zero on purpose, as it allows a sales crew to leave the bike keyed on for hours to demo it without the incandescent headlight melting into a pile of goo.

(The bike is “running” in that state but won’t move with the kickstand down)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Group Ride? Nein Danke! Ich Bin Ein Goon.

Coydog posted:

What is the "design flaw"? Some middle position?
Yeah, if you float it between the hi/lo detents it will turn off. I do it in tunnels sometimes when I want to trigger my headlamp’s startup lightshow. :shobon:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I was like 20 years old at the time so I blew the rock salt out with compressed air, filled it back up and fuckin sent it because I was young, dumb and full of even more dumbness
I’ll be honest I would do the same today and I am not young. I just have too much faith in an old Honda, it’ll catch up to me someday.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Ah, you should see how bad it is for bicyclists. People will just slam on their loving brakes in the middle of the highway if they think you might want to go ahead of them, or cross the road, or something.

The worst is when one lane of traffic will stop and they just start frantically waving you into a crossing, despite the other lanes still going full speed (and weaving around the suddenly stopped car that's blocking the view of you). loving madness.

The go-to response is to maintain eye contact, pull out a water bottle, and start drinking until they move. Not going to trust my life to someone who just showed me they can't follow basic rules.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
In bicycling we distinguish between bicycles (which cost hundreds of dollars and can be ridden tens of thousands of miles without major failure) and Bike Shaped Objects (BSOs) which cost $100 and will make it about 50 miles before stripping out a critical fastener.

I think you might own a MSO.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Chris Knight posted:

I haven't really tried it yet, but the Calimoto app has people saving rides In Your Area, and has some sort of trip planner you can tell it to avoid highways and whatnot.
Curvy Single(track)s In My Area !?

Thread content: I'm riding out to best coast next weekend, I was going to take a yosemite or tahoe route but it's all smoke and fire right now.

This is a followup to doing the same ride 1-2 years ago (I honestly can't remember) where I had to divert from my Yosemite route for fire/smoke.

Living in the end times is the worst.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
At least if the petcock's in the right place it's real easy to drain the tank fully.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

It's taking an irritatingly, unexpectedly long time though

Legend says there have been many yammie noobs, and as each yeets into the stratosphere another silently takes its place

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Clocks are antithetical to fun rides :colbert:

Just use the sun like croc dundee

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Russian Bear posted:

Gauntlets or bust.
In 40C+ heat? Nein danke!

I don’t get burns but I do get a pretty solid stripe of extra tan in that gap. Every time I do a summer cross-country trip I spend a lot of the time putting my arms into weird positions to try and cut down how much sun my wrists get, swearing that this time I’ll remember to find some solution to pack into my gear. Guess what I still haven’t gotten around to yet!

As for a better fitting jacket / gloves, every summer glove I’ve found is this short and this jacket otherwise fits me perfectly, I’d have to go with something custom to fix this. :shrug: not gonna spend $$$ on custom leather for this.

Edit: this all came out weirdly defensive. It’s more that it’s something that I’m looking into solutions for, and also something that I obsess about for 16 hours each time I cross a desert because there’s nothing else to focus on.

Sunblock was mentioned but wearing that stuff under leathers while also camping nightly sounds like a really gross time.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 4, 2022

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Nah I just find sunscreen to be gross. I’m already grimy enough on these trips, why grease myself up even more. And if you want to try and talk me out that opinion, hey it’s the rant thread just give me a pass on that one.

Thanks for the link Strife, I have seen those in the bicycling side of my life and it’s pretty much what I was thinking.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Probably a case of my arms being too long for this jacket, then. And wearing gloves too far along the airflow <=> protection end of the scale.

Dainese C2 Mig gloves:

With an A* Jaws jacket:

But here's the kicker, here's how I hold my arms on the Nighthawk 750 all day:

thanks for the input everyone, I think I'm going to go with the umbrella idea.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
At some point surely there will be a standardized radar retroflector I can just put on my motorcycles and bicycles to light them up for any self-driving vehicles.

I’m one of the optimists that thinks self-driving cars might be less likely to hit me than human-driven. Could be wrong, we will see.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
When I was eight I had an Odyssey that I liked very much:

Unfortunately more than $800

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Speaking of buying bikes my wife has realized she doesn’t need a full set of tupperware plus captain’s chair for tooling around Colorado with me. She’s on the lookout for a smaller Spyder somewhere in the US that she can fly out to and ride back with me :dance:

(Hers is also having a bunch of problems so she is looking to trade it for a better model year anyway. Hardest part is finding one with a manual transmission, people love their AT Spyders I guess).

In short she is going from this:

To something more like this:

and speaking as the person who works on it, hooray

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
i say if this forum can get behind posters riding goldwings then they can put up with posters' SOs riding abominations like can-ams

it's not like i'm going to post about it a lot anyway, except to say things like "you would not believe how much computer control the parking brake on a trike needs and how often it can go wrong"

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

I just can't possibly imagine cornering being anything but a chore on a tricycle like that. Do they have power steering? Do they lean at all?
Yeah, chore describes it pretty well. No lean, a little body roll, but the biggest thing is needing to swing your body to the inside quad-style on turns to keep from feeling thrown off.

Just lacks the float of a motorcycle steering, and makes you miss being on two wheels.

My wife can’t ride a motorcycle though, and if I push her to then I’m the one responsible for getting her hurt/killed. So can-am it is.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
My memory of riding in AZ is that they carve these divots between lanes as part of the lane markings. I wonder how well that’s going to mix with filtering.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I just bought a new Harley at my local dealership and it was weird.

quote:

Every one of the staff was congratulating me on my purchase. After I signed the final papers they had me walking back out the exit of the large building (I was the only customer besides the staff there at this time) and the general manager salesman went over the intercom to the rest of the building and the staff announcing my purchase and my name as they ran disco lights, smoke machines, and forced cheers as they had me ring an overhead bell. It was the strangest experience I have had purchasing a vehicle, and it was eerie, and it felt like maybe I was making a mistake with all this odd showmanship they were putting on. It's my first bike, a Softail Street Bob. I understand Harley Davidson is more aesthetic than substance in some ways but man did it have this hollow celebratory feel to the whole ordeal. I almost wish they just took my money and shook my hand and be done with it. Anyway I got a new bike now.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Why not some high-heat engine paint?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
That reminds me I need to rant about PartZilla.

Over and over again I get suckered by their “In Stock” or “Ships in 1-2 business days”. Every time I’m waiting 2-3 weeks for a locknut or whatever because I was too lazy to wait for my dealer to open on Tuesday to order it by phone.

This time I wanted some OEM clutch springs from Honda. PartZilla had them “In Stock” and RevZilla had them with 10-14 business day availability. They were only $15 and I wanted them within a week so I ordered from both to see which would win out. RevZilla already has them in the mail but no sign of anything from PartZilla yet. Maybe this time I’ve learned? Time will tell.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I do that too but for some reason half the sellers only had one clutch spring for sale :confused:, only offered used clutch springs (thanks, got four of those), were outside the USA, or had shipping set to $15.

The one remaining seller that still qualified was named ”partzillamarketplace”. Nice try, Satan.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Sadly the nighthawk forum which was a trove of knowledge about the post-golden-years CB750 that I work on has disappeared as of a few months ago, taking 20 years of sometimes-useful tricks and knowledge with it. :(

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
It’s not all bad. The stackexchange sites, despite all the complaints about their over-moderation and deletion of good questions, are so much better than the pay-for-answer “experts exchange” site(s) that they set out to supplant.

Maybe given enough time we can root out the other cancers of the modern internet.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
It’s about time this subforum got back to its roots: talking about the raw gay horsepower of a motorcycle(‘s dyno chart)

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Yeah I’ve gotten pretty hardcore about moto-camping but I still treat myself to a hotel now and then.

You’re presumably out there for a good time, no need to suffer if you’re not feeling it.

Sagebrush posted:

When I first started learning to fly,
Motorcycling made me give up on learning to fly, I’ve done so much stupid get-there-itis decision making on two wheels that would have killed me in a plane.

So I recognized that in myself and decided not to get into piloting.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
That’s some catch, that Catch-22.