Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Say, BIlly, have you ever been through the desert?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Does anyone know if those external steering locks (the big bar ones, kinda like you see for cars) are any more effective when it comes to not getting broken?

I've seen them on a bunch of maxi scooters and one spot tourer, it at least seems like they'd be a better deterrent to idiots who don't know poo poo about bikes yanking the bars around until it breaks. Obviously less convenient though.

You mean like The Club? Couple of minutes with a hacksaw = gone.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Annual reminder to yell at myself for not wearing sunscreen on what ended up a a long day on the bike and getting sunburned on the back of my neck :/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Just saw some dude do a maneuver I can only think of as attempted suicide. There were 2 taxis in the left lane, spaced under a car's length apart. Dude on bike tries to pass them on the right, but there's a car parked in the right lane. So he swerves in between the two taxis. Cue the taxi in the back slamming on his brakes. Like holy poo poo, dude. It's a city street, 40km/h speed posted, and taxis here are generally driven badly as it is.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I was laughin, me mate was laughing, loving funnay.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
You'd be surprised how many people can't or won't do that. I've posed before on how one intersection here goes from the easiest turn in your life to potential death race 2000 because everyone wants to turn into the middle loving lane.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

If every bike owner in the world was me, everything would be perfect, because I'd own every bike in the world.

Could Erik Buell create a bike that he would not own? Makes ya think.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Word to the wise: don't go anywhere near the Forks Of The Credit during leaf-peeping season, you will have no fun and just end up behind a long line of people driving their SUVs at 10 under looking at leaves and wondering why the road is so windy. Then when you pass all the fun parts going too slow, you'll spend 10 minutes trying to get onto Highway 10 because none of them can accelerate their suburban tanks fast enough to make it into the rare gaps in the traffic.

Ugh. Cagers ruin everything around me.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Especially considering that pretty much everyone here also has a car.

Are there any posters riding 100% of the time?

Haven't owned a car since high school. Biek, bicycle, or transit. Hell, I walk home the 5.5km from work if it's decent out.
If I need a car I got Autoshare.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Yuns posted:

I am going to share photos of our new parking spots. :iia: I no longer feel like a second class citizen.

Seriously it's the feel-good story of the week.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just gone over my helmet footage and it was 127 seconds from me turning my back on the bike to coming back out. Unbelievable.

That's insane. :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I'd rather turn my head than sit there squinting at that mirror trying to figure out what I'm seeing.

What else do you need to know other than "is something big and moving coming near me?" :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah I hear ya. Thing I hate most about driving is all the pillars in the way when I do shoulder checks. Got so used to an unimpeded view on the biek very quickly.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

RadioPassive posted:

This doesn't replace a shoulder check at all, but it helps overall awareness in traffic.

Yep that's pretty much why I would get one.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

1 mirror crew sound off

Lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I have extenders on the Bandit & they're great.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Fuckin snowed again today.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Pope Mobile posted:

AFAIK the "baby on board" thing is to let first responders know there's potentially a child in the car.

Nope it's some bullshit yuppie 80s thing that somehow never went away.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Minkee posted:

They ruined our chances of passing lane splitting here in Texas. They stated they wouldn't support the bill unless we removed the helmet law portion from it. Once the helmet law portion was removed it was pretty much immediately shot down.

What a bunch of cunts.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"Ride...as...passenger?"

*blinks*

"Is that a thing?"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

dreggory posted:

All our local grocery chains have private armed security guards, with a 9mm and 3 extra magazines, standing outside the front door 24/7.

Because TEXAS.

Do they also sell alcohol?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'd get a similar question at work when I'd be setting down my helmet, "Hey, did you ride in today?" My usual response was, "No, I just live in a really bad neighborhood."

Al Jaffe corrupted my youth lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Time to invest in those new SMX-0 slippers.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I unironically love Judas priest yet I'll happily admit that this is a terrible song. But I still love it so so much.

Plus halford's midrange is just dreamy :swoon: If his singing were an engine it'd be a V4.

Still sounds great; gotta love that low down mid-80s sound Bill Laswell had going on. See also: Motorhead, "Orgasmatron."

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The old biddy down the road called the pigs and swore she heard a dirt bike.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo that ADV thread is gold:

quote:

I never ask if I can buy anything, I'm over 21, and have my own money. I've bought houses before I'd told her.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Fishvilla posted:

My wife was initially opposed to me riding. We've both had relatives die in motorcycle crashes (both involving alcohol and terrible decisions).

I wonder how many people have had friends or relatives killed or injured in car accidents and yet somehow don't go around preaching about how dangerous cars are.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
loving goddamn piece of poo poo drivers. It's night time, turn your goddamn headlights on.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

School's back on

Most likely. Traffic always gets worse starting in September I've found.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I love going up north in the winter. You're driving along around midnight, come around a turn, and whaddyaknow there's 4 deer just standing in the middle of the road, lick the salt off it or something.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Cycle Asylum: Like a bicycle but with more yelling

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Charlie don't turn.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Yerok posted:

I've been thinking I'm overdue for some more mushrooms/LSD but I don't know anyone here yet. Wondering if maybe it's time for good ol' DMT. I mean I know that the real answer to my problems is roughly a dozen more motorcycles.

I think he meant limited slip diff.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I do miss your old avy

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

gently caress those assholes for using godamn bitly links, in full & not hyperlinked to the text they refer to, to link to other pages on their own loving site.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Don't ride in bicycle lanes you tards.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Melodiously at first.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

So are timed lights just not a thing in the states?

There's a couple of things in play here. Some lights are only triggered on demand, some have two timed cycles, long & short, with long being the default.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

bigbillystyle posted:

Don't forget all the MA riders that immediately pull over when crossing into RI or NH to remove their helmet. It's just so uncomfortable man! Live free or die!

Yeah when I lived in MA and first got my license everyone earned me about driving in RI because unlike MA they had no mandatory insurance for drivers :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

That's a good point, I do live in Toronto.

I've found people just generally don't anything here. :haw: