Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Ferrosol posted:

Still not looking forward to the new season though. The first team is okish but the squad is paper thin. To make things worse there are rumours that Steele is on his way to one of the North West clubs.Really we need at least one or two more strikers a creative midfielder and a central defender to replace Jonathan "sicknote" Woodgate.

Yeah I can see Turnbull replacing Steele if he goes. I heard rumours that there was going to be a big clear out of all the players who got the hump with Mowbray last season and stopped playing for him. Did that happen? Can we expect the same form from the first half of 2013 once the season starts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Boro can go gently caress themselves.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I was meant to be going to see Boro play Charlton this weekend, but I really don't want to pay to see them. Plus I won't even be able to get a skinfull in me before kickoff so I can't entertain myslef that way. It's clear that the current setup is unable achieve promotion or even a playoff place. There needs to be more changes than just getting rid of Scott McDonald. Like Ferrosol said in the other thread 3 wins in 25 is mental. The whole team needs a rethink and overhaul; bringing in a new striker that we probably can't afford isn't going to be enough.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I was more lamenting the fact the we seem to have no money to bring in any players but I worded it poorly.

Yeah I can't see him going either. I can see us doing gently caress all whilst he's around though.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Tony Mowbray posted:

Managers live and die by their results so it was important for us to get the win.

Don't worry Tony apparently you can be as poo poo as you like and not get sacked. Nevertheless a welcome 3 points today, glad I didn't go though it sounded dire.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Ferrosol posted:

Didn't go to the match myself but from listening to Ali "rose tinted eyeballs" Brownlee on the radio we actually played pretty well and with a decent striker up front we could've scored 3 or 4 and won comfortably. By all accounts Richardson was tidy and made the defence look more solid and Adomah was class putting plenty of good crosses into the box. But we'll just have to wait and see whether this is the start of something good or just a blip before we continue our downward trend.

Well that's welcome news. The fella on 5live made it sound like a hellish bore. I'll go and see them against QPR away in September so hopefully we can string some form together before then.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Ferrosol posted:

Mowbray out. Worst start in 29 years and we've still got our traditional post christmas slump to come.

Who could possibly care anymore?

That said I've just dropped £60 (one for me, one for a mate) to go see them play at Loftus Road this weekend. I am not optimistic one bit. I have a feeling we'll go 4-0 up and lose 8-4.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

It makes me sad to say this but I think it's time for Tony to go.

We never looked like doing anything against QPR. I mean they have a better squad than us, but with about 60 minutes gone we had just settled for a 2-0 loss and didn't really bother. Kamara didn't give a gently caress and was useless; Butterfield tries hard but he doesn't have any real quality, and Richardson is one of the worst defenders in the Championship.

Tony has to go, we've known this since the end of last season, but we presumably can't afford to sack him. I can't see any other reason for him still being here. Unless Gibson is happy with an 18th place finish and a slow decay into League 1.

e: Our support was really good though, even the random Norwegian blokes sat behind us that gave Rob Green hell for the second half.

Raffles fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 30, 2013

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Well Tony looked like he had cracked it during the first half of last season. We were 3rd (I think) at Christmas and had beaten quite a few good teams (Palace, Watford, Hull), but then the bottom fell out. I don't know what happened to break our season, but it's clear that we need a fresh approach to get things going again. Mowbray is clearly out of ideas, so maybe get someone new to come in with his own coaching staff (not McClaren).

What have we got to lose at this point?

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Mendieta is still settled in the region AFAIK give him a ring.

Yeah he married a lass from Yarm apparently; his son goes to my old school.

Gibson won't sack Mowbray for a good while anyway.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

There were just 12,793 fans at the Boro vs Huddersfield game on Tuesday. In a 35,000 seat stadium. I wonder how long we can keep up with attendances like that before we get into real financial trouble?

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Mowbray in.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Northern Echo reporter Scott Wilson

@Scottwilsonecho posted:

So who next for #Boro then? From what I'd heard prior to tonight's events, I'd be surprised if it was Pulis despite what the bookies think.

I hope to gently caress he's right on that one. Although he does go on to say...

@Scottwilsonecho posted:

Juninho currently working with Doriva at Ituana. Gibson not averse to a gamble - how would the return of the pair of them go down? #Boro

Gibson's gambles usually go something like... 'appointing the team captain who has no coaching experience and lacks the qualifications to legitimately manage in the top flight as the new manager', and 'selling the club captain and lynchpin to fund a move for a top lad from the dutch league', both of which contributed to us getting relegated.

Raffles fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 21, 2013

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Odds are really short for Pulis. Sigh.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Venus in.

Also 4 past Ross Turnbull :getin:

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Apaz betting has been suspended on Karanka getting the Boro job.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I hope he can get us wholesale prices on Spanish wonderkids.

Looking forward to not having to check this thread anymore come next season.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Smiley Face posted:

The league 1/2 thread is much worse though

Haha very good.

Confirmed by local news http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aitor-karanka-spanish-coach-expected-6297449#.UoJMuiXhDL4.twitter

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Cannot wait for Aitor's boys to bash Leeds the week after next. Whilst it's good Karanka has the international break to settle in, I just want to get ball rolling on this.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Hegav posted:

Promotion is on the table for Boro!!

I believe Hegav, I believe.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Bacon of the Sea posted:

It's £27 a ticket for Boro vs Reading on Dec 28th, £7 more than I paid for a similar away game against Newcastle in the prem last season.

Broken Britain :(

Away tickets for Millwal vs Boro are only £5. So thanks Millwall, please don't stab me.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Chris de Sperg posted:

Aitor Karanka's already kracking up.

Agreed best get rid I think, I'd rather have Steve Clarke anyway.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

That 3 wins on the bounce for Boro, we're only 6 points from the playoff places. It's happening.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

How does this keep happening?

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Also Boro who have won four games on the trot and have the best defensive record in the division since Karanka came in. Next season's going to be good.

I'm learning to believe again

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Ferrosol posted:

Seriously,no. But the fact that a season we all thought was dead and buried weeks ago still leaves us with an outside chance of the play-offs is causing me to get excited. More realistically we'll finish 7th or 8th.

We will lose all our remaining games and Karanka will die of a heart attack over the summer now.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I'm not angry, just disappointed.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

Reading are actually going to win 69-0 and finally make our push for play offs

We are going to tonk the binmen that turn out for yous lot; this I know to be true.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/03/massimo-cellino-leeds-united-paddy-kenny

quote:

Massimo Cellino axes Paddy Kenny from Leeds over date of birth

The increasingly bizarre world of Leeds United has taken another turn for the strange after it emerged that Massimo Cellino, their maverick new owner, has such a dislike of the number 17 it has turned him against one of the club’s key players who was born on that date.

Leeds

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I have no idea what to expect from Boro this year. Probably the same as every other year. Not in danger of relegation, not in danger of promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Boro have bought a lad called Kike. And if having an hilariously named striker wasn't enough, it has resulted in the pinnacle of sport journalism in the Teesside area.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/boro-signing-kike-football-manager-7409826

quote:

Kike: How does Boro's new €3.5m striker rate on Football Manager and Fifa?

Gazette reader Joe Bowes stepped up to give us the Football Manager run down on the man set to join Boro for €3.5m

• Locked thread