Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The plus side: Mods add tons of super cool stuff and make the game more playable and much longer lasting.

Downside: You'll never be able to play vanilla again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

eh4 posted:

Upgraded to 1.6.2 yesterday. Congratulations Forge, I hate you too now. Let's just add to the confusion with changing directories, locking out other mods without a clear compatibility pathway, and adding whimsical JVM options you'll no doubt remove when you realize users are just going around your toll booth.

Can anyone tell me if older minecraft launchers depend on a .minecraft hierarchy or can I just point them to another directory and keep versions away from each other?

Don't install crap to a default Minecraft install, it's just a recipe for headaches. Use Technic or MultiMC for any kind of modding beyond texture packs.

E: Oh actually I forgot that MC has a new launcher now, I haven't used the default launcher in over a year. Can it support separate installs in different directories?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

eh4 posted:

Technically it can, but that isn't the issue. Since Forge has changed the directories it also uses, on top of making it difficult to add non-Forge-approved mods

What mods don't work with Forge anymore? Anything that doesn't is basically from the Dark Days of modding and is hopelessly outdated. Either that, or it's made by some pretentious modder who refuses to even take a small amount of effort to work with other things.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Pretty typical of direwolf to completely ignore the accomplishments of another mod though. Don't get me wrong Multipart looks amazing and does stuff we've never seen, but Immibis microblocks has allowed multiple things in a single block space for a long time. Not only multiple microblocks, but pipes/cables etc, but direwolf acted like that had never been done before.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Erogenous Beef posted:

Consider "moo goo" coolant approved. I'll make it official once different coolants have different properties. As for livestock -> fuel, that's a bit too weird. Maybe in the distant future I'll add a "sillyMode" config option for stuff like "Heiferite" and "Porktonium".

This is such an incredible idea and would fit in perfectly with MFR's sadistically sarcastic tone.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

Progress shot!

The grey cube is a vacuum ripple, which is just a short lived forcefield that appears wherever you point the manipulator. It's meant to make it easier to start construction projects with platforms floating at high altitudes, in space, over liquids, anywhere you don't have anything convenient nearby to build from. It can be handy for making temporary bridges across gaps and such too, or if you aim it downwards you can build downwards without water or the ability to fly.

Oh, I added a mode for the manipulator to switch to to do that. It has an energy bar that regenerates over time, right now you can put out 16 ripples and it takes about a minute to fully recharge. Rotation is unchanged.

The yellow field I'm still fine tuning, but it's already usable as an elevator. I'm seeing if I can get the physics right for it to be either a null G field, an accelerator field, or (ideally) both. So far every time I optimize for one the other one winds up behaving wonky.

This is awesome. I burned myself out on MC for a while but I'm looking forward to playing 1.6 once all the mods update. Lots of awesome looking stuff between your updates, Big Reactors updates.

Unfortunately it looks like KingLemming and power crystals might have also gotten burned out. :(

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Pidmon posted:

Please for the love of god link these cheatsheets.

http://bit.ly/RCYH57

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Does anyone know if PC and KL will be coming back to their mods eventually? Or if they're still working on them and just being quiet about it. It would be sad if the two best tech mods out there die at the same time with 1.6. :(

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I've not kept up with minecraft at all for about 3 months due to playing other games. Finally got around to try and update my TFC pack and the latest MC isn't available on the technic platform. Is this because of the whole vanilla launcher change?

1.6 basically killed the modding community. A lot of people are still working on mods but the changes were so drastic that a ton of people just quit doing it. 1.7 is going to be the same thing again. I doubt minecraft modding will ever be as active as it was during 1.5.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Jesus, that bad? Were the changes that drastic?

Apparently so. A month or two after release and Platform hasn't caught up yet. I don't do modding myself, but as I understand it, even forge had to make big backend changes, so it couldn't bridge the gap as well as it normally does.

It doesn't help that the two biggest tech mod devs (KingLemming and power crystals, of TE and MFR) took long breaks. KL said he would finish a 1.6.2 port of TE, and then pass the mod to someone else, while PC is still mia. For all we know he could be done with MC modding for good.

It's possible that people simply don't want to do two big overhauls with 1.6 and 1.7 and are just putting everything on hold until 1.7, but I wouldn't count on it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Doubtful. Some of the flagship mods aren't updated and probably won't be for a while.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

"There is a balance to be struck with creative freedom and constraints to find the sweet spot"

AND ALLOWING ODD-WIDTH PORTALS COMPLETELY WRECKS THIS BALANCE

Hahahahahaha

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Looks more like you're gregtech's bitch.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Fuego Fish posted:

Let me dream :(

Have you ever played a heavily modded game before? This is how they always are. Accept it. The only exception is when the community is tiny and only a couple generous people are modding. With a big audience you'll always have shitlords and manchildren.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Moog posted:

I gotta say that I really really hope RedPower2 comes back. That, or Eloraam's minia/zeta thing is what she was referring to on twitter, concerning a "big announcement". Basically a Minecraft clone built from the ground up in C++. Supposedly, Eloraam ports all her code from C++ to Java for RP2, so it's my pipedream that it means all of the RP2 features are already a part of it.

Haha, you think Eloraam's code is better than Notch's.

hhahahahahaha

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

To be fair, she did come up with pipes that work differently and are an alternative to buildcraft, mobile Frames, redpower wiring, logic systems, and a whole slew of other stuff.

I remember when frames came out I saw the video and direwolf's first thought was :regd08:.

Now we have all sorts of mods each which copy or improve upon the stuff redpower had.

I didn't say features, I said code. Her features were all pretty good and she made stuff really fast(for a while). But it was phenomenally badly coded and was an absolute performance nightmare, not to mention the huge bug problems. To just give an idea, her redstone timers reloaded the chunk they were in every single time they ticked.

It's a pretty common story. Creative programmer with lots of ideas and momentum creates something really cool very quickly, but their rate of innovation starts to decline before too long, under the weight of their poorly managed codebase. In fact, it's exactly what happened to Notch with Minecraft.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Dang, that's awesome. Goongrats, Olloth.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Apparently one of the mods I'd like to use on my server requires Forge. What the hell IS it and how do I get it?

Forge is essentially the modding API. Every mod that isn't a piece of poo poo uses it, because not using it is harder and means your mod wont be compatible with anything else. Just download it and extract it into your miencraft.jar.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Oh, okay. We're working on making a modified version of Big Dig, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Yup, everything in Big Dig runs on Forge, so you already have it installed.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Jetamo posted:

...Well now, the developer behind Applied Energistics sure is making some...interesting additions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_8rnGfIVfs :suspense:

Welp I wanna play minecraft again.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

This is why open-sourcing stuff owns. Tired of modding? Someone else will carry it on for you! Though I wouldn't expect PC's absolutely insane rate of feature-addition continuing in any way.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

It worked great, but the more he gathered materials with his eight quarries he moved about deep enough under the earth not to breach the landscape, the rougher the lag got on that server. Gee I wonder why, I bet it was some jerk's space program.

More likely that was his pipes. Buildcraft pipes hooked up to a max speed quarry crush servers (quarries already crush pretty drat hard on their own), and if you multiply that by 8 you have a very sad server operator. Tell him to use ME next time.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

Depressing. There's little in life as cool as a big tangle of pipes with carefully sorted stone and cobblestone systems to let as many flows as possible pass through your main work area as if Serial Experiments Lain had exploded. A short stack of ME servers just isn't the same as twenty big dumb interlocking pipe systes.

I tend to agree, but your server operator does not. As cool as pipe tangles are, having a server that actually works is more important.

Who knows, maybe the 1.7 server optimizations will help.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Me and my brother are messing around with Big Dig, and as far as power, we don't know what the gently caress.

We want to try and store this power, but we've always relied on IC2 so we don't know what the gently caress. If we were to use an Energy Cube from UE, would we be able to draw power out of that with a wooden redstone pipe? If not, what do we do for power? Please help!

Energy cells for large amounts of power. There's also a TE addon that adds low-tier power storage, but I forget what it's called. Battery something.

E: here you go, simple power storage. I'm not sure if Big Dig has it though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-887NVt41U

Taffer fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 13, 2013

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

thevortex- posted:

very few modders take public SMP into account, world-wrecking items, blocks that update an insane amount of times, things like this are only taken into account by a small amount of modders :(

There was an amusing fight between KL and CJ on the FTB forums recently about this. CJ was trying to convince KL to use his code for something, and KL was telling him it was too CPU intensive. CJ said "pocket change doesn't matter when you're writing million dollar checks" and KL responded with "caring about pocket change is how you become a millionaire". It was a beautiful exchange, I'll try to find a link.

E: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/thermal-expansion-status.31833/page-3

This is a cool thread, KL tasks about the future of TE. He's planning on maintaining it till at least 1.7, and he's ditching BC power for his own completely rewritten power API (rationale for this is in that thread), and he's rewriting liquiducts and conduits, and adding itemducts.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 13, 2013

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

axelsoar posted:

Go into your technic folder, locate the two setting files in the root directory and look for a line in them referring to buildstate. Change from beta to stable.

I'm having the same problem, but there's only one settings file in the root directory (launcher.properties) and it doesn't have a line referring to buildstate.

E: nevermind, I was looking in .techniclauncher instead of .technic.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 14, 2013

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Oh man, when CJ starts babbling about how it's better to waste a few KB and do it one way then save the space I want to murder him with a 64kb memory chip. God drat compsci people. This is how we get bloat! Kids these days.

Heh, 64k, try 2k. When you work with 2k memory you learn really quickly to have NO boat. But yeah coding like CJ is terrible and lazy, he takes shortcuts to make things easier and has really inefficient code. Of course, I say this as someone who doesn't code in java, but his excuses and reasoning transcend language.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

KingLemming posted:

Not going to lie, if I knew that I could set up a Kickstarter and pull in a really absurd amount of cash, I'd be more than willing to write a voxel engine and game.

I can't even consider that right now though, since I'd have to be amazingly dumb to drop out of a PhD fellowship when I've finished everything except for the dissertation.

You'll have to start that kickstarter as soon as you finish your PhD then. ;)

Thanks for sticking with TE despite your schedule, we're all looking forward to the 1.6 release.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

KingLemming posted:

Already having discussions about this with my team. We're considering it, but we'd like it to have a twist. It seems we're all on the same page with how voxels should work, however. ;)

Oh god stop getting me excited, if this happens I know the wait will be terrible :(

Turtlicious posted:

So, are there any 1.6.x mod packs?

I'm not sure about current ones, but I'll be making one the moment TE is updated. Might run a server too, but I'm not sure about that yet.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 15, 2013

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thanks Olloth! This rocks, good luck at your new digs.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Danny Glands posted:

The launcher loses all my packs each time I open it. Also, the runtime argument for setting the game window's width and height no longer work.

Yeah, I'm getting this too. The files are all still there, the launcher just doesn't see them. It overwrites if you re-add the pack, so you have to redo your settings.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Could you give me some step-by-step instructions to reproduce this? Just adding a pack and then closing the launcher or just downloading and then closing isn't causing me to lose any data.

Add the pack, close the launcher. Downloading/playing doesn't make any difference on my end, it just loses the pack whenever it gets closed. The only things it has on launch are default packs. As for losing settings, the third time I launched it and reinstalled a pack, I didn't lose my settings, but I did the two previous times. I have no idea why. :iiam:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Cheap Shot posted:

You guys gotta post more info on this pack loss thing. We can't reproduce it. Maybe give us which packs are missing so we can try those ones?

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/progress.12299
Phenom 1090t
Latest java
I'm not storing technic in the default directory. I doubt that had anything to do with it but who knows.

Haven't tried with any other packs yet, but I will when i get home.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

General Olloth posted:

I believe Canvox/30.5 days fixed the problem with packs not saving properly, as well as the launcher not opening or starting correctly.

Let us know how its going guys. :)

I was just about to test the bug more thoroughly, and suddenly it was all working! Thanks guys, fixed for me.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I am immensely upset that I had never heard of this mod before now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwP6kGZjMtw

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Looks fairly reasonable to me.

It's not really, CJ is a gigantic manbaby and overreacts dramatically to the tiniest things.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

KingLemming posted:

In other news,

Getting there.

Woo, keep posting cool updates please. :allears:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Well it's nice that the tekkit launcher got updated for 1.6, but there doesn't seem to be much 1.6 modpacks for it right now. How long until we see tekkit being updated for 1.6?

Probably shortly after TE updates, it's what most packs are waiting on.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Ender Storage is an amazing mod with so many potential uses considering it adds only three item. It only adds a tank, a pouch and a chest. You can program the "frequency" of the tank or chest with some dye as they have three pieces of white cloth on top that you can dye independently. So it's easy to change the frequency or read the frequency of a tank or chest at a glance. All tanks or chests/pouches of the same frequency basically have the same inventory, it's basically you have an interface to a "global" chest/pouch or tank. The best thing is that the inventories are stored independently of the items using them. So if all White/Red/Blue chests are destroyed or reprogrammed, if in fact ALL ender chests on the server are destroyed, the inventory in the white/red/blue "frequency" is still safe, waiting for you to make a fresh chest or pouch to access it.

Chickenbones is an amazingly good developer, all his mods are deceivingly simple for how powerful they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Bad practice doesn't mean you get to yell like a manchild about certain people being banned like you're a 2 year old.

Besides, we're talking about power crystals' mod. If he had a reason to modify someones code with a core mod, it was to clean up their poo poo.

It wasn't PC, he's MIA, someone named skyboy - who apparently contributed to MFR in the past - is maintaining it currently.

• Locked thread