Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Enzer posted:

So Azanor has uploaded a video which I guess details how he intends research to work now. Seems pretty interesting and looks a hell of a lot better than more or less injecting a ton of resources into a desk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3dgIfOQaU8

As long as he doesn't make it so the Thaumometer runs out of durability, this new system seems...actually fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

SugarAddict posted:

In tinkers constuct you can melt down villagers into liquid emerald. Supposedly there's an emerald cast somewhere but I can't find it and the liquid emerald is useless without it and you can't scoop liquid emeralds or metals once you have put them out in the world.

Edit:

I've tried that and it doesn't work.

...Oh god the fact it makes liquid emeralds is so goddamn perfect. Soylent green.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Aw crap. Ores appearing everywhere is nice, but prospecting is so much more fun than just digging randomly.

Latest toast game I managed to get a shitload of diamonds, which usually never happens, and then I used the equivalent exchange stone to make them in to iron. Diamond becomes four gold each becoming 8 iron, so you don't have to dig for each vanilla recipe separately. The tinkers addition of slimes kind of made that way too easy, though, they appear a poo poo ton, split into little slimes, and each of them has a chance to make one of those little slimes that can drop that red thing you need eight of to make the stone.

I am kind of frustrated that I made the power suit but I cannot add flight capabilities until I reach the nether fortress. The entire point of making the suit was to make infiltrating the nether easier so I wouldn't have to build bridges everywhere, but apparently I need a full tesseract, which requires a magma crucible, which requires nether brick. I'll have to have some test runs with the suit first. Next weekend. Already overplayed this last night. :negative: Have a whole folder of plans for how to make my next base and what to put where.

Build yourself glider wings and the super jump module, will help for the time being.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Uh, give me a call if you need any modelling done? I'd like a project to help out on :blush:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I can beat all of you with your creeper-in-slimes with this.

Originally spawned not in the cart, and he would not blow up, no matter how close you got.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
And yet again, I am amazed at someone I know's loving care and attention to hosting a server, and how to pass the blame all to someone else.

quote:

Server is up. DimDoors is removed (Sorry guys but complain to the Developer for not knowing how to properly make a mod).

It's not like the server has so many mods that the server needs restarting pretty much every three hours, or that you continue to use MCP even though it makes the server even more unstable. :downsbravo:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
...Well now, the developer behind Applied Energistics sure is making some...interesting additions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_8rnGfIVfs :suspense:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

m2pt5 posted:

Apparently these things can store entities as well. Including player entities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pjd6jMXKIY

:aaaaa: Holy poo poo. This is weird.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Strange, I can't get the Technic Launcher to actually use the beta build, which is really annoying. Just keeps restarting on the stable build.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

SugarAddict posted:

Thaumcraft has linking books, if the current dimension is different than the dimension it was linked to, you can teleport to it, but it drops the book in the process.

I believe you mean Mystcraft, not Thaumcraft.

...why is everything (word)craft.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Ahdinko posted:

That way if someone just wants to see about dynamos, they can watch a 3 min video, but someone new to the mod can watch the 30 minute mod spotlight and learn all the concepts and how they tie together in one video.

Please do this. For the love of god I cannot be bothered with super long mod spotlights on every little thing on a mod - I'd rather be able to actually watch the bits that pertain to what I need currently, such as "how the gently caress do dynamos work".

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Dunno-Lars posted:

Can I request either a mod, or directions on how to make it?

A simple second set of shears that will skin a cow. Easy version drops a leather ever time you click it, no need to bother about cooldowns or changing the texture on the cow.

The effort version should change the cow into a mangled one, then have it regrow the skin after eating grass, like sheep.

Durability on the tool is unnecessary, but add if you feel like it.

How would I go about and make such a mod? I found some good tutorials for MC modding, but I can't find them again... Explained what all the import things did and all.

Dartcraft has something like that, although it also adds a bunch of other stuff as well.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

New Leaf posted:

Yeah, we're on an hourly backup now.. Ugh. This was pretty devastating to my fun level. The server admin gave me the Thaumcraft "cheat sheet" item that unlocks all the research, so there's that. I did lose ALL my magical creations though, plus all my wands, all my research points, info on everything I had ever scanned with the Thaumometer.. The one player who logged out in the Twilight Forest (who wasn't online when the server crashed) didn't lose anything.

Interesting side note- we had a castle at the server spawn location, but it was built pre-mods and is now abandoned. However, we can't even get inside it anymore. Doors don't stay open long enough to be entered, and we can't break any blocks there now. What gives?

Sounds like some sort of spawn protection. Either that, or intense lag.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Oh my god I need a modpack with Mariculture in, it has a FLUDD.

I didn't realize I wanted this till I saw it, and now I reaaaally want it.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

wylker posted:

I emailed basically everyone who emailed me for access to the new server. I have seen 1-2 people tops from the list. Check your junk mail, get on the server! Hard launch tonight at 2300 central time.

I also didn't get an email.

:qq: Wylker, why have you forsaken us?! :qq:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

TasogareNoKagi posted:

He's recently metastasized to KSP with the same attitude of "gently caress the devs, gently caress you, and gently caress all the other mods".

This...this has got to be a joke, right?

Oh man, I wonder if he'll do a "Better than Dragons" mod for Skyrim. :allears:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Vib Rib posted:

So I'm starting a server with a friend who is a self-described "filthy casual" and we're gonna focus on infrastructure, resource gathering, building little villages, that kind of thing. My usual mods like Infernal Mobs, deadly dungeons, Ars Magica, etc. are right out. We're just looking for simple stuff, anything aesthetic and fun and not too demanding or complex. Focus is on building, but we're not playing creative mode, since building up stores and gathering resources is still a big part of the fun, which is why we'll still include some infrastructure mods, though Tinkers Construct is one of the only ones that come to mind, since things like TE I've ruled too complex.

So to that end, what mods or even full modpacks might you guys recommend for an easy/peaceful playthrough? Something really mellow, fairly simple. Lots of high-tech ladder mods out there but any suggestions for something a bit slower and more relaxed?

Chuck in a mod with barrels for sure.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Here's a preview video for Applied Energistics 2. Personally, the video's a bit too over-edited for me, plus the shaders are very...blergh. However, what's being shown off is pretty awesome. I especially like the terminals being able to be placed on any wall, multipart style.

...damnit, it's that time of year again where I'm getting tempted to learn Java and figure out how to do Minecraft mods.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
As far as the Morph creative mode flying goes, I myself am a fan of it, if only for the fact it actually motivated me to build awesome stuff instead of just having dingy holes underground.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
So I've let my inner ideas guy run free a little. I've made a pastebin with some ideas for this Thaumcraft addon I'm tempted to learn how to make, so I'd appreciate some opinion on them.

http://pastebin.com/DpKvtvwe

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Shadowmorn posted:

stuff about my Geothaumology pastebin

The plan with the crystal machine is that it'll work like any block that consumes essentia - it just won't accept it till you've applied the upgrade, ala Golem upgrades.

Regarding the Salis Mundus/Sugar thing, I'm tempted to do a TE-style thing, where sugar will work, but only get you say, 2 crystal per quartz, whereas Salis Mundus gets you alot more or something. Also yeah, editing the recipe for Salis Mundus to include the clear shards will probably be a good idea too.

I'm sort of wondering if I should do some aesthetical stuff as well with the shards. Like, maybe "Active Ignis Shard" as a glowy, more light-giving torch(and no, I'm not thinking 1:1 shard to active-shard. Something like 1:6)

And also maybe an "Active Aqua Shard", which creates water-source blocks around it?

Honestly I have so many goddamn ideas I don't want to get too ahead of myself, because I've still actually got to crack down and learn how to make this thing.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Onean posted:

The mod they show a little bit of in the beginning (that I skipped over in the link above, if it works) is Sync, which also looks really cool. It allows you to transfer consciousness between clones of yourself, which are made through machines powered by treadmills operated by animals. Their previous video covered it well enough.

Sync is cool and all, but it doesn't play very well with SMP currently. On servers I've played with it, it's caused permanent-invulnerable players, losing all their inventory in the process.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

fondue posted:

Thaumcraft just updated to 4.1, here's the changes;

quote:

new stuff

New stuff includes the return of warded-stone(or, atleast, the Wand Focus of Warding, which does the same thing but to any block), Arcane Doors, and a new wand type specifically for the battlemage on the go; staves!

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Scorpion 3-2 posted:

I don't know maybe I'm just not smart enough but to me this just looks way more complicated than the old system without any added advantage.

Seems to be par for the course as far as mod updates go.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Vib Rib posted:

What block type are those minty-looking walls made from?
Also, how's this room so well illuminated?

Floodlights in the ceiling, at a guess. I'd also guess the walls are Limestone from Chisel?

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

mechaet posted:

You have to put a diamond in the new glass bell, and that glass bell has to be on top of an Aludel. It will output a minium shard per diamond.

The diamonds actually need to go in a calcinator, and then 8 minium dust with a inert stone into the aludel. :eng101:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Been playing on the NST Maxx server and modpack and basically spent most of my time building things and then figuring out how to fill them. Have some pictures!

Not pictured: My 13x17x16 Big Reactor directly behind the J on the front. Not amazingly powerful, but it still powers three laser drills + my base so I'm okay with it.

My original little base hut next to the tower, not even used at this point.

The front of my WIP Thaumcraft(and other magic mods eventually hint hint mechaet) building. Still figuring out what I want to do with the front of this thing.

And my stationary laser-drill rocket ship. Because screw having another tower just for a laser drill.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

The Mattybee posted:

Is the Modderation server still up? I tried connecting to playmodd.moretoast.com and just got "unknown server".

You might be having DNS problems like...everyone has been with that particular address, honestly. I'd give you the correct IP to use but I don't have it saved. Just hop in the #nst channel on synirc and someone will give you the IP.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
And the modders knee-jerk responses begin: CPW is quitting modding Minecraft.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
So I'm putting together a small modpack for a small private-ish server with some friends, and it occurs to me that I'm probably the only one in said group that likes building techy-stuff. Everyone else is more into it for the whole exploring/killing bosses aspect of Minecraft. So I'm trying to accommodate for that by adding a few boss/extended exploration mods etc. Stuff like Twilight Forest, Hardcore Ender Expansion, Chocolate Quest. I was wondering if anyone else can recommend some mods along the same lines?

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
There is some arcane-vanilla-water-flow-witchcraft you can do to make Cryotheum flow without moving, although how exactly to do it I don't know. Someone helped me do mine on the NST Maxx server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

RichardA posted:

Might have this wrong but my understanding is that the source code for Minecraft is deliberately altered to make it unreadable. For each new version people need to reverse the process before working on updating forge. Forge acts as a API and is required for most modding. As such it can take a significant amount of time after a release before modders can start work on updating.

On top of this there's usually a pretty large revamp to a basic system in the newer version that takes a bit of time to work around, such as the new model system in 1.8. At least, that's my outsider perspective on it.

• Locked thread