Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I would gladly take a rotor paperweight :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Even though that car is a basket case, I am supremely jealous. White FD's are loving gorgeous

Someday I'll have an FD :allears:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

the spyder posted:

Holy loving lol- I found out how the electrical fire started. In attempt to heat protect the wiring harness, the PO wrapped it in aluminum foil and silicon tape... On the secondary fusebox 8g wire, he wrapped aluminum tape ALL the way to the top of the terminal, connecting it to 12v power. This then charged the entire aluminum "heat wrap" and as soon as a ground was made, shorted the entire system. Amazing it did not burn to the ground. I will get a picture tomorrow.

:stare: What the gently caress

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

leica posted:

So if you acquired a completely stock FD, what would you do to it right off the bat to "update" it? Or for instance, if a customer wanted one for a daily driver, nothing over the top, just decent power with more focus on reliability?

IIRC the first thing you want to do on a stock FD is put a downpipe in it

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Uhhhhhhhhnn that is gorgeous. Like want to sell my s2000 and get an FD gorgeous.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

ironblock posted:

I only have a few tiny pictures, because in addition to other amazing life choices, I bought this from a Japanese export-craigslist thing, and it's all I've ever seen of the car. :v:

It's a '94 R2, 60k-ish miles, as unmolested as they seem to get in Japanland (still has the stock steering wheel). Has what I think are old-style Ohlins DFVs, and some other tasty treats. I'll do my own thread for this car so I don't poo poo up Spyder's with my shenanigans.

It's... it's worse than you know. I live on a tiny Caribbean island and commute maybe a mile to work. The highest speed limit on Grand Cayman is 50, as far as I know. There's no elevation change and hardly anything you could call a corner. My coworker and my boss have a CL65 AMG and a G65 AMG (:iia:) respectively, so while I'm not at the pinnacle of moronic decision-making, I make up some of the lost ground with the fact that it's a 19 year old twin-turbo rotary that I've never laid hands on. :downs:

You made the right decision, commute be damned

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Mazdaspeed 3 is a good wagon, MPG's be damned :v:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Why not a mazda 3 hatch? It's not AWD, but it fits all the other criteria and they are at least engaging to drive for a regular car

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

There's a fun form of the Versa?

Fiat :barf:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

the spyder posted:

And then the curse of the Mini Cooper returned. God drat it. Coolant reservoir cracked.

This is why I bought an aluminum coolant tank

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I still want one, I don't care :colbert:

e: I have this book too, plus an RX8 one. Got them at work for free :smug:

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 18, 2014

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

the spyder posted:

Not pictured: Axles and front wheel bearings on the wife's Mini Cooper S- they literally took so little time I forgot to take pics. Color me amazed.

In the two years I had mine I had to replace both front wheel bearing/hubs. One came off and replaced easy, the other needed a puller and a whole lot of force to come out and the new one to go back on. I broke the speed sensors too because they were cheap pieces of poo poo

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I wanted to steal this so bad when I was picking up a car for work. I need to convince someone at our Mazda store to order one for me :allears:

You definitely need to acquire one of these for your shop

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

the spyder posted:

Oh and the exhaust fell of the loving Mini Cooper. Not really, but two of the mounts broke (like metal sheared off) and it's now held on with zip ties. gently caress this car.

Been there, the hangers are notorious for rusting away and disintegrating. Mine let go backing out of the driveway :downs:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

the spyder posted:

After years of searching and several sold-out-from-under-me let downs... It's happening!

Now, the following questions must be decided:
1) What should it go in?
2) 100% Stupid = PP Turbo
3) 75% Stupid = PP with ITB's
4) 50% Stupid = Monster turbo/street port
5) What the hell, it's a 20B- let's dump the bitch in something and see if it will run!

I guess those aren't really questions... just bad ideas requiring money.

Forever broke :shepspends:

Put it in a Miata

Cat Terrist will back me up here

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

Holy mother of GOD, a 13 turbo in a MX5 can rearrange time and space, a 20B just.... gently caress me that just has "hit tree at stupid speed" written all over it. Absolutly great option!

Now given a 20B has torque AND with say a monster bridge port and a decent turbo can easily go over 500Kw, an RX8 would be the natural home, the chassis handles the power decently well and becomes one mindblowingly fast car. Also works in a FC or FD..... but thats been done before but that's the sensible albeit extremely fast as in "kick the living poo poo out of supercars" fast options.

Buuuuut for me I'd do this. 400Kw in a series III Gen 1, six speed from a RX8, Group C flare kit, wide track the front with rack / pinion inserted, graft in a FD rear subframe. Look into Group B AWD solution. Paint it ink black. It would look and sound utterly evil, be able to handle the power, be able to defy Einstein's famous equation and have every RADL worship the ground you stand on.

I remember you telling me how scary a rotary Miata was to drive, so I can only imagine how godly a 20B NA Miata would be

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

the spyder posted:

The average price for a FD has gone up $5-6k over the last three years. That shell was a rip off. I'd pay maybe $5k for something like that, but I would also have all the "missing" parts. $18k is not unheard of now for a clean FD.

We have a customer who bought a second FD over the summer from someone who kept it garaged and didn't drive it much. The thing is mint as could be and had about 15k miles on it I think. The tech who does all of the rotary cars told me he paid about 22k for it, and then spent another 2-3k on work done because it had been sitting for a while. You could eat off the engine bay it was so clean and the bolts on the exhaust and the rest of the underside of the car looked brand new

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

BloodBag posted:

Seeing how rare these cars are now, I wonder what it's competition of the era costs? The NSX and the 4th gen Supra must also be into stupid money territory. I so rarely see any of these three vehicles these days. Come to think of it, I rarely saw these(FD, NSX, Supra) when they were new.
E:JFC :stare:

You can get an NSX for a lot less than that on average, that's an outlier

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Thats why I bought an aluminum coolant tank for my mini haha. Speed sensors were a bitch too, I just left mine broken

how much you want for it :v:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

You are crazy and I love it

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The S only has catastrophic problems if you buy an automatic. The auto trans in the S is made out of glass and grenades itself

All the other issues with them are just annoying maintenance poo poo and some body rust problems. If you have owned a BMW or other needy cars it isn't that big of a deal aside from having to tear the front of the car apart sometimes. Doing the front control arm bushings can be a huge bitch though if you don't have the right tools or know someone who does and will knock em out for some beer and a pat on the rear end

The new ones are kinda lovely though, they don't drive as nice as the first gens IMO either and keep getting bigger/heavier. They have all the current BMW issues plus a few of their own. Granted our roads here suck, but I keep paying tickets out for doing front strut mounts and wheel bearings on 30k mile cars while I don't have to do that on the BMW cars.

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 21, 2016

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

double post but my mini held up good in the accident I got in as well. It wasn't as fast as your wifes (my airbags didn't go off) but the jeep cherokee (or whatever it was) looked worse off than my car did. The front end of the car is fairly stout cause everything is packed in there tight

EightBit posted:

I've known two people that owned Minis. Yes, past tense. They were unreliable garbage. Both of them consumed oil like a two-stroke, much more than a quart every 6000 miles; one friend was putting in over a quart a week, and that oil is not cheap.

Mine liked oil too but the actual BMW allowed tolerance for burning oil is pretty high. A full quart over 1k miles... which if you are hitting that (or close to it) and going the full 7500 or more between changes will leave you empty. Any car sucking down a quart a week though is either leaking something fierce or about to blow itself up

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 21, 2016

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

the spyder posted:

I would buy a new ND in a heartbeat if we did not need 4 doors. You should hear the list of cars that have been proposed.

Here's a few:
07/08 WRX wagon
e46 M3 vert
Challenger
Vert Mustang
Mazdaspeed3
Fiat Abarth
CX-3

My response has been:
14 Fiesta ST
13 Focus ST
Volvo v50
Mazda 3 hatch

Nothing wrong with getting a Speed 3

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

the spyder posted:

I've already veto' it as a daily replacement. Maybe after she gets a job we can find one for a weekend toy. She's always complaining about me having all the toys. Little does she know it's a disease.

Mini update: Got our first offer. $5700 Looks like I'll be calling the adjust or tomorrow. Her ribs started to hurt, so it's back to the hospital. Ugh.

How many miles were on it? I was about to roll over 100K in mine and they gave me almost 10.5 for it

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rotary swap that MIata

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

the spyder posted:

It would use less oil than the motor that's in it... (1QT per 1,000 miles)
And have an extra 50whp....

Do itt

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

https://youtu.be/E_elbHjxtIY

So, I finally heard a 20B in person. In a Miata.

There is no camera or mic in the world that does it justice. Jesus gently caress that is one if the greatest noises man can produce.

:stare:

It's beautiful

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

It wouldn't be a BMW without cooling system problems

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

You did the right thing by encouraging him in the beginning. That car, though, thank the rotors you are rescuing it

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I want an FD so bad :smith:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

DefaultPeanut posted:

Watch what I post in the next few months and asses your wants and needs. Poor casual with no garage space working on a not running FD, what can go wrong?

How many does this make in AI with a left-hand-drive FD?

I know what I'd be getting into, but just like in my choice for women I am not intimated by crazy like I should be

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I wouldn't be scared of PCing wheels ( have done it to mine) as long as you go to a place that knows what they are doing

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

cant wait for this

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Still here, love your work. I want an FD real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006