Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Oh, yeah, the Miata totally has a sweet Boss Frog roll bar and an engine that drinks oil now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

mafoose posted:

Rotary already?

Rotary soon, fellow stalker.

Waiting on those sweet lifts and cold weather.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Obvious solution is UHMW sheets on the fold down bar.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

the spyder posted:

Once you have done it, I don't know, 100+ times it's pretty drat easy.

And that's just per car.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Rhyno posted:

He said it's something else when I asked before but I dismissed his answer and assumed it is indeed a watchtower.

I think its an owlery now.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

the spyder posted:

In other news:
Ice + normal tires + semi truck with no chains= wrecked Miata. Super low speed impact. Brother can fill in more if he wants. He was fine. There was a good inch of ice on the road. Thankfully insurance paid out and he bought it back for $850~.

So, anyone have some spare NB NC parts? Looks like I can fix it with a core support/rad/bumper/headlight/hood/fender.

Pretty much this. This time instead of pushing my limits in a totally inappropriate place / time / road condition, I ended up running into a huge stretch of washboard like ice in the shadow of a large hill along the gorge following a blizzard. Roads were clear on all the adjacent road cameras, checked on the local DOT website. I spun around backwards when I hit the ice, and the semi ran my front end over as he could not stop or really alter his course in any meaningful way. He chained up as we were waiting for the tow truck. It makes me feel better that about 4 more cars wrecked in front of me, and it was so slick the plow / gravel trucks were sliding horizontally while stopped in traffic, due to the bank of the road. If I had known, I just wouldn't have been driving.

I loved that car, I had gotten in just how I liked it. Luckily it will live on. From now on I will drive a subaru with winter tires when I go out to see my girlfriend.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I probably spent about 3.5 hours cleaning up the baby bridgeport, oh jeeze.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I'm most excited about that Bridgeport Series 2 NC. Weighing in at 5500 lbs fully assembled with gigantic box ways and huge ballscrews, it'll cut pretty much anything we could ever want. If only it had a tool changer.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Of course! I don't think a tape drive and steppers the size of gallon paint cans would really fit my needs. There is something quaint about peck cycles and interpolation being done with discrete logic, but I'll probably go Linux EMC or whatever its called now. We have some appropriately sized DC servos, drives, and a transformer that weighs about 80lbs, I need to figure out the braking resistors and some sort of transient voltage suppression scheme for something so hefty. Also, speed control will probably need a little servo turning the sheave pulley, and probably something to actuate the pneumatic spindle brake as well. Someday when I am feeling flush I might just pick up a huge DC motor for the spindle and call it a day.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I guess sometimes there are two filters, and sometimes there is a hollowed out filter shell like gasket in the big "torque box." Also, spin on transmission filter woohoo! This thing is a joy to work on compared to some other cars I've had. Very little corrosion anywhere and shiny cad plating on all of the engine fasteners, I guess it was garaged its whole life.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

the spyder posted:

Eh, caught him on decel. Though his AF gauge needs a new sensor, the old one (50 miles) is toast thanks to non working coil packs.

That gauge doesn't fake a signal back to the OEM ecu does it? As in it still has the olde sensor for making the fuel corrections?

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

mafoose posted:

I'm drooling over you shop, hopefully one day I can afford something comparably because :drat:

I've never used a surface grinder, I need to learn it by the end of the year so I can apply for another position. On that lathe, how come you can't use the original motor with a new vfd?

What I do to hold cams is two crescent wrenches clamped together by vise grips. Works even better if you have one of those awesome clamping adjustable wrenches that AI turned me onto.

My guess is a flaw in the CVT causes it to grenade, so you're right, the motor might just be salvageable. I'm not sure if it offers much more over the existing lathe apart from being bigger, though.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

The answer is obviously pulleys. Just hoist a platform with the parts on it up and down. Like some sort of automotive dumb-waiter.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Ship stairs are cool and all, but still a pain to huck items up and down on.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Well what do you know... Unistrut makes trolleys. I wonder how it compares in price to an I-beam setup.
http://www.unistrut.us/DB/PDF_Archive/No_12.pdf

Edit:
They even make little turntables and switches. Oh wow, its like a model train set for engines / whathaveyous.
http://overheadconveyorsystems.com/

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 27, 2015

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

blk posted:

Was out for a bike ride today and....hey, wait a minute....

Awfully nice place for a bike ride, huh? Lots of good hills and green pastures all around. Looked it up on Strava and there are a LOT of people way better than me who ride around here.

mafoose posted:

How much are you looking to move? Last I saw the weight rating was meh. And it was super pricey.

We'll realistically get an I beam and trolley, I just thought it was fun that Unistrut made a trolley system.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

blk posted:

It was beautiful, kind of dicey getting back to town though via Stafford Rd. No shoulder plus lots of impatient commuters at 4 PM = not fun. Someone turned left in front of me when I was descending at 40+ on the other side. I need to figure out a better way to get home from that area.

I used to be a big rider (did 10k miles in 2011), but fell out of it after that when I met my wife. Getting back to that level of fitness is a much bigger challenge than I thought, and it can be discouraging when there are so many good riders around here. I'm trying to get another goon out for a ride with me, would you be interested in joining?

Also, I haven't followed the thread that much - are you and Spyder buds or coworkers or cohabitate or something? Looks like a nice place.

Yisssssss, PM sent.

Also, like he said, brothers. I'm the Miata killer and he's the RX-7 haver.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

ssjonizuka posted:

Filthy bastard!

I plan to atone for my sins by fixing the front end on my current Miata. And giving it a nice rebuilt non oil guzzling engine.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

It works even better under your hood. I've had it turn years of gunked up dirt sludge into something that resembles dust. You give it a quick spritz with the hose after and it washes it all away. It even cleans out the crevices on connector bodies.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Yeah, it looks like it got damaged in shipping. Big whoop/

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Mannnnnnn, get that thing in the parts washer, stat!

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

If Paypal doesn't come through, and the guy's auction explicitly stated that the engine was in good condition/good compression, you can go after him for breach of implied warranty. Jalopnik link

The bind here seems to be in "good compression" vs "xxxpsi of compression." Although good may imply "Meets manufacturers specification," that is still not explicitly stated. It should in all reality still work.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Been watching this guy all day. Can;t wait to be doing stuff that looks like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsTbWAu0k-o

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

mafoose posted:

This is awesome!
I wish the old farts in my shop were as willing to teach!

Yeah, it's just the right style, too. Actually sticks with me, and all the little details have reasons instead of "that's just the way we've been doing it."

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I was waiting for that middle finger the whole time...

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Yeah, I made up a 10 or 15 HP RPC with some nice big oil filled surplus caps and a junker of an old motor off someones junk pile at a conveyor belt supply company. Well, turns out the windings were shot in the motor from sitting in the rain outside a loading dock for god knows how long (well, maybe, that's what I chalk it up to in my uneducated opinion). Anyway, we picked up a 8 horse somewhere and I just need to revisit the design to make sure I wasn't excessively inebriated during the last spin. It'll be sitting up on the wall with 3d printed shaft covers and pretty wiring once we get the insulation in the shop sorted.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I've got a trombone brush somewhere for those sunroof drains, bought it for the poor miatas. Even if they've been blown out, I bet a brush would do a world of good.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Ummmmmm, I think you mean gold!

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

extreme_accordion posted:

You appear to be in some luck as this may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k6n9-IaWfk

My guess is the key or keyway is totally shot. One of those things, luckily, is replaceable.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I think my favorite Weber development is the fact that there are now EFI throttle bodies that bolt right up in their place. The Spyder has been teasing me by mentioning some Webber intake manifolds for Corvairs at a buddies shop, some machining and welding required.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Also, everything connected by that rats nest can fail randomly and intermittently in some way with varying and difficult to pinpoint symptoms. Only slight hyperbole.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

At first I thought it was just a brag about the mileage. Then I saw the light.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

And the pickup?

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Time for some strip LEDs in the cabinet! Make them wrap all the way around, high and low!

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Shoulda used the coffee filters out there lol.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

It's hard to tell, is it box ways? I forgot if you mentioned. Hard chrome is nice, at least!

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Turns out you can thread mill acme threads! And given the era and techniques used in the construction of the machine, its pretty much got to be an acme thread. Thread mills for this seem to be about 2/3 the price of the taps, so cool!

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

BloodBag posted:

I believe what you're describing is called 'hobbing'. There's more to hobbing than you think.

Nopers! Look up thread milling! You can have a single point or multi point tool that your mill spindle turns and translates in just the right helix to produce threads. Tadaa!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti_1OHMFCtI

Actually, in a way its like a one tooth hob, a really similar concept. I think you've got the idea down it's just the machine layout that differentiates.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

And I would be out fixing the rotary phase converter, but instead I decided to drink gin and play with my 3d printer. Someday...

I left it in a bit of a mess trying to diagnose it several years ago... turns out it was bad windings on the motor! Got a new to me 7.5 horse and plan to give it a go again. Thank goodness I labelled everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I already have all of the forged internals, fancy oil pump, and misc support hardware for a turbo build on the BP. I would be sort of disappointed to bin that and go back to the drawing board :/

I do, however, want the fancy miata LSD unit Spyder mistakenly ordered...