Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Do you all wear big headphones in public? I may be taking a job soon which will have me commuting via train. I know it comes down to 'don't worry about what others think', but I do worry about looking like 'that guy'. If nothing else Beats headphones have gotten people used to seeing bigger headphones and that's a good thing, but these are ATH-M50, which are a little larger and much less stylish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

What the gently caress does it mean when someone says the "bass sounds fast"?

Sometimes I feel like headphone reviews are like craft beer reviews. Maybe the OP could update with a guide to understanding common descriptive phrases.

Some other confusing bullshit, found quickly:

quote:

musical mids though recessed, slightly fatiguing highs.

"Musical" mids? What the gently caress else would they be? I understand 'fatiguing'.

quote:

warm leaning signature...

Very smooth, warm, sound...

Great lively sound... engaging mids...

Highs lack sparkle but extended.

It's like when a beer review mentions 'notes of sawdust on an Autumn evening... light mouthfeel with a slightly underdone biscuit presence complimented by aromas of burnt coriander roasting over a chicory fire at night when a car horn honks..."

me your dad fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 8, 2014

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Hamelekim posted:

You should read http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary. That will help you to figure out what they are talking about.

Perfect, thanks!

I ended up picking up new Shure SE215 IEMs last night. I ride the train to work and I spent a few days this week trying to figure out how to best manage the long cord of my ATH-M50 when I decided the cord was simply unmanageable for transit and was best suited to a stationary life (which is why I bought them, so that's fine).

me your dad fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 8, 2014

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

Hey guys, I am in need of some new IEMs for my daily commute. I have been using the stock IEMs that came with my Galaxy Nexus for the past two years or so, and they are on their last legs.
Budget About 100AUD. Super flexible budget, can be way higher if necessary.
Source My Galaxy Nexus. I have a Magni at home but these won't be ever used for anything other than my commute.
Isolation Requirements As much as possible really. Three hours daily on a loud bus, I'd love to be able to block that out without going deaf.
Preferred Type of Headphone IEMs. I wish I could use circumaural headphones but they are too large to be practical.
Preferred Tonal Balance No real preference. I don't like stuff lacking in bass.
Past Headphones AD900x that I use at home. I love the soundstaging and clarity, these are my main phones and I adore them. M50's that I got for use on the bus, but I don't take anymore due to their size etc. I love the bass on these compared to the 900x, and the isolation is fantastic. The closer and somewhat smeared soundstage is not great but I still love them for electronic music.
Preferred Music Pretty much everything, hence why I don't have a particular balance preference as I don't favour particular genres. Rock, alternative, electro, classical primarily.

Comfortable is also a plus as they'll be used for extended periods.

Thanks for your help :D

I bought these Shure SE215 a couple months ago and have been happy with them. They can take some getting used to in how to best insert them but once you get it figured out they're great.

I listen mostly to various forms of rock and electronic stuff.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I currently use a set of ATH-M50 and I'm looking for as significant an upgrade as I can get for $300. The ATH-M50 are nice but I feel like I'm missing out on better sound and more comfort.

Budget - Up to $300
Source - Desktop computer at work running Spotify. No fancy sound card.
Isolation Requirements - Isolation is very important.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full size
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'm not sure. I love hearing minute details in music but I also like bass. Probably a balanced sound with good bass.
Past Headphones - ATH-M50
Preferred Music - Tons of everything, listed in order of listening frequency: Rock (psychedelic new and old, acoustic, modern); Metal (doom, prog, death); Electronic (trance, psybient);

Headphones I've considered and flip-flopped on:

DT-770 Pro 80 ohm
Sennheiser Momentum (I'm concerned over ear cup size; I understand a model may come out in 2015 with a larger cup)
V-Moda M100
Mad Dog Pro

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Retarded Pimp posted:

I haven't heard them but the Mr. Speaker Mad Dog sounds pretty close to your criteria as long as you're willing to amp. Maybe someone who has heard them can give more detail on them.

I'd like to avoid getting an amp at the time of the headphone purchase, in order to keep it within the $300 mark.

Edit: I've heard primarily positive things about the Mad Dogs, but would they justify a $300 purchase paired with the money necessary to buy an amp which could drive them (which is how much money?).

Overall I just want something different but still fun, compared to the M50.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 14, 2014

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks all. There's a Brookstone nearby with VModa on demo so I'll swing by to check them out.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

After suffering from upgrade fever and much deliberation, I finally pulled the trigger on a set of NAD Visor HP50. I got them from the Crutchfield Outlet as scratch & dent for $212, which seems to be a good deal. They're supposed to arrive tomorrow so I look forward to hearing something other than my ATH-M50 :)

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

me your dad posted:

After suffering from upgrade fever and much deliberation, I finally pulled the trigger on a set of NAD Visor HP50. I got them from the Crutchfield Outlet as scratch & dent for $212, which seems to be a good deal. They're supposed to arrive tomorrow so I look forward to hearing something other than my ATH-M50 :)

So I got these today but the stupid cable they provide is about three feet long so I can't even use them at work due to the location of my desktop tower.

There's nothing special about the cable other than it being flat, right? I should just be able to get a Male/Male 3.5 cable and it should work fine?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I have a set of NAD HP50 headphones. They came with a mic cable they specify is for iOS devices. What makes a cable OS specific? Is there no way I can have the headphones connected to my PC and use them for work calls?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm worried I may be getting old when I don't think about this kind of thing on my own.

I was just messing around with it a bit more and I had the headphones plugged into the headphone port on my PC but I may need to plug it in through the mic connection, which is unfortunately on the backside of the PC and my cable isn't super long.

I'll mess around with it some more.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm looking for some budget headphones for my dad, who is turning 75. I was originally considering the Koss KPH30i, but I read they are pretty flimsy. My dad has shaky hands and I worry he might accidentally break something too fragile. I also considered the Superlux HD-681 Evo but it seems not easily available (it ships from the UK?).

I think I want to go with over-ear but I would do on-ear if they are the right set. I definitely do not want in-ear or earbuds. Any recommendations for under $50? Source would be an iPhone playing Spotify. He listens to the blues, classic folk rock, and jazz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

njsykora posted:

The AKG K92s are a pair I have and really like, if they’re too expensive where you are (they’re usually under £40 in the UK) the K52s and K72s are supposedly also pretty decent.

Thanks. I show them to be $60 USD everywhere I look. Maybe I'll find a good sale.