Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Looking for some goon advice

Budget - About £100, maybe a little more

Source - iPhone, iPad and Mac

Isolation Requirements - Do you need isolation? I'll be using them on public transport so preferably

Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM. I have a pair of over ear Phillips but I prefer in ear when out and about

Preferred Tonal Balance - I don't really have a clue. Balanced, I guess?

Past Headphones - I've had two pairs of S4i's but they've both ended up broken. They were pretty great while they lasted though. Currently using a pair of Apple EarPods but they're not really cutting it

Preferred Music - Alternative, electronic and rock. Listen to quite a lot of podcasts too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I've been looking at getting my first pair of IEMs rather than a new pair of closed backs and I'm constantly debating between dipping my toe in with the Arias or just diving in with the Blessing2:Dusk.

Anyone have any thoughts between the two? I feel like if I do get the Arias and I like them I'll probably end up wanting the Dusk down the line anyway :thunk:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

trem_two posted:

If it's truly your first pair of IEMs, unless the money really doesn't matter to you at all, I'd go with the Aria to start. It might be the case that you don't like wearing IEMs, or maybe you find that you don't like Moondrop's style of tuning. Also the Blessing has a notoriously large shell that might not be comfortable. I'd dip your toes into the water with the Aria, which will still be an excellent performer.

Yeah that's probably the smart move.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yeah the Aria is really good and someone will want to buy them from you if you want to upgrade later. The B2D is great but it's a fuckin chonker so I'd at least buy from somewhere with a good return policy in case it doesn't fit.

Speaking of, does anyone know the best place to sell headphones? I have a like-new pair of Meze 99 Classics that don't really fit my head. eBay maybe? (I'm in the UK)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I mean even the more premium Sennheiser's are plastic and they're light and comfortable because of it, while still having pretty fantastic build quality.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Rollie Fingers posted:

I have the HD 6XX which I love, but became curious about the Hifiman Ananda.

I bought one to test, fully intending to return it once I convinced myself it wasn’t worth four times the price of the 6XX.

But… I love the Ananda. The clarity and soundstage is levels above the 6XX and I’m extremely tempted to keep it and sell the 6XX. I’m still hesitant about the price though. Are there any headphones out there that are maybe midway between the 6XX and Ananda in price and quality?

I'm in the exact same boat but HD 660s and you're not helping :argh:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Curious to see more thoughts on the new Edition XS since it looks like a halfway point between the Sundara and the Ananda

trem_two posted:

If it's truly your first pair of IEMs, unless the money really doesn't matter to you at all, I'd go with the Aria to start. It might be the case that you don't like wearing IEMs, or maybe you find that you don't like Moondrop's style of tuning. Also the Blessing has a notoriously large shell that might not be comfortable. I'd dip your toes into the water with the Aria, which will still be an excellent performer.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yeah the Aria is really good and someone will want to buy them from you if you want to upgrade later.

Cheers for the advice. Followed it and bought the Arias. They took over a month to arrive but they sound insanely good for the price. Might even prefer the sound signature to my 660s.

Also got a Linsoul cable and some Spinfit tips since I'd seen that advice online and can confirm they both improve on their stock counterparts

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

njsykora posted:

Who the hell is saying the Aria cable needs replacing? It's probably only second to the Tin T2 for my favourite IEM cables.

This thread on /r/Headphones with a lot of people agreeing. Some YouTube reviewers too

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Sennheiser 58X or 560S is where I'd start.

But not if you're buying for your son

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Speaking of amps/dacs just treated myself to the JSD Labs Atom+ stack. Really happy with it. Looks and sounds great

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

ROJO posted:

My only real requirement is they need to be closed (share an office with my wife) and I have a giant dome (size 8 fitted hats).

I recently got the new Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro Xs and as someone with a pretty large head I'm really happy with them. They are no longer painful in their treble like their older models could be without EQ and I really like their stock sound. They also look a lot nicer/sleeker than the older 770s if that matters to you.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Ok Comboomer posted:

Will the AirPods be fine for working out? (I doubt it)

Anecdotal but I broke my first pair of OG AirPods from (I believe) sweating too much on them while working out. When the Pros were announced they came with sweat resistance and I've had mine since launch for use at the gym and they've been rock solid

This is from the Apple support page. Looks like the new standard ones are too

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

njsykora posted:

The current rumour is that they're getting a revamp next month, to be more like the Beats Fit. That said most of the rumours about their internal changes has been about the bluetooth hardware, so I doubt you'll be losing out if you get the current Pros now. Though they'll also probably be discounted once the new ones are shown off.

Where have you seen that? I thought they were going to be a summer or fall thing and next month was some Mac stuff

I'm excited for whatever the new Pros bring so I'd be happy if it was next month

Edit: Double post. Sorry

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The 770s have spicy treble, the 990s have hell on earth satan stabbing your brain with a rusty fork treble. I salute the people who can enjoy those headphones, I cannot.

I really wanted to like my 770s cause they're built so well but I couldn't do it without some EQ. Ended up breaking them trying to do a removable cable mod so I got the new 700 Pro X's. Fix pretty much every problem with that line imo

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

redeyes posted:

I'm not asking why, im just bitching about it.

Well you're definitely contributing to it if you have 100+ pairs of iems

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

PirateBob posted:

Should I just go for a BeyerDynamic 990 32ohm then?

I think the general consensus on the 990 is that the treble is really uncomfortably sharp.

PirateBob posted:

Or has something better/more comfy come out in the last dozen years or so since they released 770/990?

I'm willing to pay a bit more than the price of the 990s if that gets me more quality.

I really like the new DT 700 Pro X that I got to replace my 770s. They look (and sound imo) better than the 770s too.

They do a 900 Pro X if you wanted to try semi-open

mariooncrack posted:

Have you considered Sennheiser HD6xx or HD 58x? They'd be good options.

but yeah for open back I love any Sennheiser HD6-series

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

PirateBob posted:

I tried the 900 Pro X for a few minutes in a store and they seemed a bit tight on/around my ears. I suppose the same would be the case for the 700 Pro X as they're identical other than being open/closed, right?

Would they soften up after some use?

Yeah identical and yeah the clamp force out of the box is pretty tight but once you wear them for a week or so or put them around a box over night they loosen up to comfortable levels.

The plus side of the tight clamp is they isolate quite well.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Ok Comboomer posted:

and if it’s anything like the regular AirPods then they’ll probably keep selling the current model at the current “discounted” rate which is a fair bit off from the $250 MSRP they debuted at.

There was some rumour and talk recently that they weren't going to do that again because the 3 is supposedly underperforming because they did this with the 2

Edit: I should refresh before posting

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The latency between performing an action and hearing the sound being quite obvious, I would imagine

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I finally took a plunge on the Blessing 2 Dusk as an upgrade from my Arias, and ordered some Chus along with it just to have a cheap backup pair and also get the Spring Tips they come with.

Still not shipped though :ohdear:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

redeyes posted:

Just to point this out. The Shouer EJ07 is the best Etymotic they never made:

https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/?share=ER3SE,EJ07

Looks like you linked to a premium feature

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
It was just really faint at the bottom on mobile and I missed it. My bad

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

This has to be one of the worst looking websites I've seen in a long time

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Excited to see what Moondrop can do with a headphone

https://twitter.com/MoondropLab/status/1542484615008604161

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I've been really impressed with the Aria and the B2: Dusk and I've been wanting to try a planar.

Haven't heard the best thing about Hifiman's QC so fingers crossed for some competition in the sub $1000 price range

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

MarcusSA posted:

These are gonna be hella expensive aren't they?

From Reddit with some nice pictures:

Moondrop MoonZero (electrostatic headphone): $999.99

Estimated release: 20th October 2022

Moondrop Venus (planar headphone): $599.99

Estimated release: 1st August 2022

Moondrop Void (dynamic driver headphone): $199.99

Estimated release: 30th July 2022

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Mr. Mercury posted:

why on earth is a reviewer working with a manufacturer on a product

He's done quite a lot of collabs at this point and I don't really have an issue with it as long as he's not reviewing them. He doesn't rank them on his website.

What's the issue you have with it?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
It's about ethics in ethics in video game headphone journalism

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

xgalaxy posted:

This is going to be a weird question.

What kind of headphones should I be looking at if I don't like the sound of my muffled voice when talking?
Would open back headphones be the ticket?

I currently have in-ear headphones and I find the way my voice sounds when talking while wearing them to be distracting.

Yeah open backs just sound like you're talking normally (obviously a little quieter if something is playing through them)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Paul MaudDib posted:

I know wireless is a vale of tears but... are there any cheap low-clamping-pressure wireless headphones (ideally semi-open) that I could just use for listening to some music and stuff?

I've been eyeing the Grado GW100s for similar reasons myself but obviously I can't vouch for them

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Honest Thief posted:

Is there any system wide equalizer software for mac that isn't crap? I tried a couple, soundsource and eqmac, and while eqmac worked in the end still feels buggy and janky.

What was the issue with SoundSource? I use it constantly with autoeq profiles for my different headphones and it's great

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Honest Thief posted:

it requested privacy permissions where i had to restart on safe mode to enable them and i was like no way im doing all that for a freaking eq

Rogue Amoeba are an incredibly well regarded and trusted developer in the Mac community.

With Apple Silicon they stopped third party extensions like that from being able to run on machines by default. You just change the setting to 'Apple and Third Parties'. The extension still have to be verified by Apple so it's perfectly safe and takes like 2 minutes.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

What would have been the advantage for Bose and for me, a guy who bought a Bose product, to redesign those headphones to charge via USB-C instead of MicroUSB again?

At the end of the day you're getting 3.3w into the charging port, it doesn't really matter what the connector looks like, and everyone on earth has a pile of MicroUSB cables lying around. Anyone who thinks that charging through microUSB instead of USB-C is a deal-breaker is making a mountain out of a molehill.

lol

Yes, let me just keep this 15-year-old pos connector around. I love having to either swap out cables on my charging bricks or keep an old rear end cable plugged in for one stubborn device.

(This real lol is that I have to do this exact thing for my Kindle Oasis. Please, Jeff, release a new one)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Is this difficult to do? Does it take up a lot of your time and energy?

Everyone on earth has microUSB cables sitting around and for getting 3.3w from the wall to your headphones every once in a while it's perfectly fine. Not having a USB-C port for that, or for a Kindle you charge once a week, is not going to ruin your life.

I'm afraid it is

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

nrook posted:

Unfortunately, Google massively dropped the ball and didn’t provide a Micro USB charging port.

In 2022?? It's like they don't even know that micro USB is perfectly adequate for getting 3.3w out of the wall and into the battery.

Fast charging any of these devices be damned.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

evobatman posted:

Speak for yourself.

When I get my Christmas bonus at work I want to go to an audio store and try the HD800, HD800 S, LCD X, and the Arya and just blow a stack on my favourite

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I'll be honest I've tried a few different DACs and amps and I can never hear a difference. Hit a ceiling at my JDS Atom stack

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Then is buying expensive ones just snake oil like old Monster cables?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

redeyes posted:

It exists. Are you speaking from experience or repeating internet stuff?

We can see here that other people have similar impressions: https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/lz9l3k/akm_vs_ess_dac_chips/

Do you not see the irony is this?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I've almost 'treated myself' to Arya's so many times. I really need to go into an audio store and trial those, the HD 800 S, and the Focal Clear, though.

Kinda hoping I prefer the 800 S because I trust Sennheiser over the other two for QC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Wheeee posted:

Try some Focals before jumping into a kilobuck planar.

Wary of the people online snapping their headbands though