Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

njsykora posted:

I genuinely can't see the issue with that cable other than it looks a bit kinked. Mine has nothing like that after the split like people in that thread are saying and that's after 6 months of regular use and a normal home of in a ball on my desk. If the cable was breaking that would be one thing but "it looks a bit untidy after a while" isn't exactly grounds for replacement in my mind.

Pretty sure Hifiman are an American company so I don't know where this might come from. I've heard stories about Hifiman's QA and issues with unit variance for sure.

"
Contact Info

customerservice@hifiman.com
Phone: 1-201-HIFIMAN
(1-201-443-4626)
Head-Direct (kun shan) Corporation.
#2001, C1, 2F. Yingbin Road, Bacheng county,
Kunshan city, Jiangsu Prov. 215300, China
0512-50190018

"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Kwolok posted:

In terms of gaming headsets, 7.1 surround sound is a dumb gimmick right? We only have two ears and the headphones sit right on top of them so I don't really get the whole surround sound nonsense.

It's mostly (if not always) virtual and can be achieved with software anyways if you really want it.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Ha, okay fine technically you can put more speakers in a headphone but they're still little cups strapped to your head. There's physically no way to simulate surround sound by filling a headphone ear cup with little speakers, all you get is a mess of phase garbage.

Now you see why I put the word "mostly" in there? I was trying to avoid an "achtchually-moment", mission failed lol.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Wow, I walked right into that huh. Never underestimate pedantry on the internet I guess :D

Well I was referring to the people that quoted you right after that, but I'll take it!

Passburger
May 4, 2013

njsykora posted:

but people do say the pads will need replacing sooner than you might like.

Mine lasted for about a year of daily usage, but there are plenty of cheap and decent replacements on amazon and other places.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

101 posted:

Looks like you linked to a premium feature

disable script-blockers on that site?

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Dogen posted:

I got some stupid expensive replacement cables for my ER4s since for the price the included cable build quality is dogshit, and surprisingly I think maybe they sound better? Am I crazy? I'm probably crazy. I got the Null Audio Lune somethingorother, so at least I can use them on a daily basis and not have some cheap rubber parts of the cable start to fall apart.

I'm looking for a spare cable that fits the ER2XR if either you or anyone else has any recommendations.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

xgalaxy posted:

Cool. I guess I'll go down the rabbit hole of checking out open back headphones now :laugh:

It's that time of the year when Sundaras are down to 300 bucks https://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-SUNDARA-Over-Ear-Full-Size-Headphones/dp/B077XDWT7X.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

NLJP posted:

I've had engless problems on both windows 10 and 11 getting the mic to work on my hyperx cloud 2 wired headset. I'm otherwise quite satisfied with the sound from the headphones themselves.

I am still within the return period I think so considering going to return them tomorrow and getting something else. Any recommendations of something at roughly the same level that's not too hard to find in Sweden?

What kind of problems?

Passburger
May 4, 2013

NLJP posted:

Recognises the mic is there, absolutely no input detected.

Done all the usual stuff, updated drivers both looking automatically and then manually, disabled all other audio devices in device manager other than headset and it's mic etc.

This last step is what fixed it on windows 10 but no go on 11.

Edit: I don't know if I've just been unlucky but imo windows has always been a pos when it comes to sound stuff.

this might seem silly, but have you done this? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-on-app-permissions-for-your-microphone-in-windows-10-94991183-f69d-b4cf-4679-c98ca45f577a

Passburger
May 4, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

But Micro-USB give a more warm, natural sound!

The same result can be achieved by shaving CDs! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-QxLAxwxkM

Passburger
May 4, 2013

TenementFunster posted:

wtf this is a deal, right? i'm selling my fragile focals and this might be a fun replacement. ive never owned planars before and the sundara is really well regarded from what i remember.

The sound is great but the quality on the plastic bits isn't.

The plastic bits holding the strap on mine cracked after a year of use, luckily the guy on customer service was willing to send me spare parts. I only wish he had declared it properly so I wouldn't have to pay stupid high import-taxes on silly pieces of plastic.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

TenementFunster posted:

a year? hell, that's 4 times longer than my Focals lasted before the headband broke (the first time) and also 6 times longer than they lasted (the second time!)

Just be prepared to get creative and add some padding to that headband if it happens to you.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Kilazar posted:

Sooo. I like these so much that I started using them on my computer today.

I know this is the headphones thread, but I am betting the use case I have might be common.

I now need a directional mic recommendation. My computer is in the same room as the main viewing area. If I use the Sony's for pc gaming, I will need a desktop mic that hopefully won't pickup the TV. Since I can't use the Sony mic and stereo functions at the same time

Get a dynamic mic within your budget.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Discussion Quorum posted:

Thinking about upping my open-back game.

Hifiman Sundara is $200 right now for B-stock but I keep reading about heat/comfort issues with extended wear. Thoughts on how it compares on that front to the HD 560S ($150) or Drop HD 6XX ($280)?

Use case is some ~critical listening~ but also playing VSTs through a digital piano. My SHP9500 are supremely cool and comfy for long practice sessions, but the exaggerated treble can be fatiguing. A bit of EQ fixes it but that's not always practical or convenient.

I'm happy with mine, though the plastic holding the "leather" strap will crumble with time. And you will most likely switch the pads at least once every other year, no biggie 'cause you can find afforadable 3d-party ones with velour or pleather. All in all the sound makes it worth it for me.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Vic posted:

I'm looking for bluetooth headphones that would be comfortable to fall asleep with.

Would something like Sennheiser CX True Wireless be good for this? I'm worried it's gonna stick out.
Can I get something cheaper considering I'm just gonna be listening to podcasts and such?
Are there headphones specifically designed for this purpose?

If it's within your budget: https://www.soundbysweden.com/en/product/nero-tx-pro/ , they don't stick out my ears when I sleep.

Passburger
May 4, 2013
Which one of these do you think will give me the least ammount of microphonics?
https://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=7400
https://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=8061

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

Xposting from the Xbox thread. Maybe you folks can help me out with an unusual audio situation that I feel might be impossible to solve.

I get together with a group of friends in real life for a gaming night. Four TV's, four Xboxes, single room. Thing is, we also play online with the rest of the group.

This hasn't worked very well as far as sound is concerned. We need headsets to talk to the remote people, but we also need to be able to talk to one another in person. Since we're in the same room, party chat in the headphones isn't great for the in-person crowd - we hear one another speak/yell irl and then a second later through party chat. So we muted each other in chat BUT now we couldn't hear each other well. This has led to a room full of grown-rear end adults using headsets lopsided with one ear uncovered. This kind of sucks because now the game sounds like poo poo and it's uncomfortable.

What is the solution here?

Things we've tried or thought of and shot down:

• Plugging wireless headsets that have a transparency mode into the controller using an audio cable. This would have been great; it's a perfect solution on mobile. It didn't work because every single pair of wireless headphones on the market that has a 3.5mm connection option will not turn on while using it, as far as I've seen. Sure, audio plays and may even sound good but mics don't work (without a mic-in cable anyway) but more importantly features like transparency mode aren't available.
  • Using the Skull & Co. Audiobox to jerryrig Bluetooth support into the $500 modern piece of hardware. No dice because the audiobox bafflingly doesn't support audio input over Bluetooth. Sure, it has its own mic but it is so awful it shouldn't be used by a human in any circumstances. Unusable.
  • Having half a dozen people buy the Arctis Nova Pro Wireless. Yeah it has a transparency mode but there is no way we're going to spend just shy of two grand, especially for a headset that is astronomically overpriced for its quality.

Any ideas?

Maybe some affordable open-back headphone with detachable cable and some sort of cable with a boom mic built-in?

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Pegnose Pete posted:

Any general thoughts/advice?

My non-tuber/noob opinion is that you should consider having the Simgot EA500 in that list of candidates, got mine for less than 70$ and to my ears they are both detailed yet not lacking in the bass department. Forget what I wrote, they are not on sale anymore.

Passburger fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 13, 2023

Passburger
May 4, 2013

redeyes posted:

Im telling you people. Simgot EA500 is phenomenal and worth $300 at least.

Any suggestions on tips though? The seal is not the greatest for me with the stock ones.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

redeyes posted:

Surely you have something that can work? I have no issues fitting em. Maybe some nice Comply Foams?

Tips are like underwear, highly personal.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

spinfits, moondrop spring tips, jvc spiral dots, epro horn tips, sedna xelastec, final audio, foam

somewhere in that list is the tip that works for you, but nobody can tell you which one :(

I get that, I'm not expecting *the* tip, but just some suggestions or recomendations so I can have a gander and try a few out. Well I have some foam tips but they end up pushing the iems out.
Anyway, I guess got a few names to look for now. Thanks!

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I love my ER2XR but the stock cable is bad and finding a good replacement is a bit difficult, plus (and this is the big one) it's kind of a pain to get them in and out of your ear even once you're used to it. that unfortunately makes them difficult to use for me at work or out in public, but they isolate incredibly well and sound great.

I too have yet to find a nice cable replacement for mine. Got one from lunashops only to find out their version of the connector makes the iem stick out quite a bit compared to the original.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Keep the name, I think it's great!
Let the posterior-ached ache their posteriors if they feel compelled to do so.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Passburger
May 4, 2013

quote:

The OP still talks like ear-buds are relevant

Is this the new thread tittle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Passburger posted: