Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The Turbines are actually on the recommendation list, but unless they've changed their business practices generally there's no reason to give them money when equivalent or better products are available.

Also no Klipsch IEM love? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Anti-Hero posted:

Anyone have a recommendation?

You don't need an amp for 558s, and have you considered trying some Comply foam tips for IEMs to solve the comfort issue, if that might be a better way to go? They sell a sample pack so you can see what one works best for you.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

WugLyfe posted:

Hit or miss. They're certainly comfortable, but it's sometimes tough to get a good fit depending on the width of the nozzle.

They have different models for different makes, and different sizes for different ear canals. I think they're pretty great for the most part, it just sucks that you have to replace them periodically.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

So nobody has a recommendation for non-poo poo exercise earbuds? At this point I'm pretty sure whoever told me to buy the M6P was secretly trying to punish me for my past posting misdeeds.

I would say some sort of Klipsch S4 but apparently they're no longer cool :(

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Give them away to a homeless person who only has the old design apple earbuds.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Anti-Hero posted:

I have a pair of HD558's driven by the internal amp in my Asus Xonar DGX and I have no complaints regarding the sound. However, I'm going to replace my keyboard that has multimedia controls with a tenkeyless mechanical keyboard, sans multimedia controls. Since the keyboard also serves as my volume control I'm looking for a volume knob. Would I be best served by a headphone amp, and would there be any concerns daisy-chaining it with the amp in my sound card? I assume I can disable the xonar amp.

Use an autohotkey script or the like to turn some key combo into volume up/volume down.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Your onboard sound is probably fine for those, don't buy a card. That's pretty low impedance, you start worrying about amps at like, I dunno, 150?

Anyway if you really just want to buy a sound card with a headphone amp get a Xonar DGX.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I have some beat rear end 555s and an STX which is totally overkill. I've been spending money fixing up a turntable I got for my birthday but that project is pretty much wrapped so I'd like to get some nicer cans soon to match the STX.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Red_Fred posted:

Has anyone got any suggestions for foam tips that will fit on Meelectronics a161p? I had been using Sennheiser (or were they Shure?) ones but they don't fit.

The comply 200 series fits according to comply's website

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Midorka posted:

Conversely, you could get the Sennheiser HD558 and foam mod them, which essentially turns them into the HD598 without the color/fake wood burl.

Unlike the 555->595 version of this, don't the 5x8 series have different drivers now?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Midorka posted:

I thought that was the case, but a Headfile review checked it out and they use the same drivers.

Intriguing. I was thinking about stepping up to 650s but I might just get some 558s if that's the case. I've been happy with my 555s other than the cracked headband, which is mildly unsightly but hasn't impacted use.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, that requires me to not be working when stores are open. Ah well, guess I'll scour Amazon reviews and just pick one.

I got my dad some Audeze Sines for father's day and he actually seems to like them, unlike every other time we've tried to switch him away from whatever on ear cans are cheapest at Best Buy

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I got a 598se for Christmas. Coming from an old 555 I got 7 or 8 years ago, it's a huge difference. Sounds great with a completely flat EQ (I had to boost bass a good amount on the 555s). Also the impedance must be a bit higher because I'm actually having to go past 20 or so on main volume in windows.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

craptown posted:

My dog just shredded the awesome Klipsch x10s I've been using for the past 5 years. I was thinking of getting something similar or an upgrade:

Budget - 100-300
Source - Pixel
Isolation Requirements - Isolation at least as good as the x10.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - similar to the x10? Unsure how to describe it. Clear with punchy bass?
Past Headphones - I had Etymotic ER6i's before the x10's and they were fantastic.
Preferred Music - Eclectic, a lot of vaporwave and its subgenres.

If you liked your X10s, the X12s are the same thing but better. I went from X10s to X12s in Dec and have been very pleased.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Better construction. Better cabling. I like the remote better. Same driver.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Ashex posted:

That's a pretty solid recommendation. It's way out of my present budget so I'm looking at similar headphones.

If you can get some Klipsch X10/11/12 (whichever is cheapest, the 10 and 11 are no longer made but can be found) and pair them with some comply olive shaped foam tips they sound great and are basically totally isolating.

They are tiny and light and comfy, and they don't put any pressure on the top of your head since they're IEMs.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

I've never had to replace them. I don't think they will get nasty.

I wear mine like every weekday for hours and they usually last about 8 weeks. They start to fall apart after a bit.

~$20 every 6 months isn't bad for the comfort, sound quality, and isolation.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Is this for console gaming?

Also the zalman clip mic is a real piece of poo poo.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I got a modmic after my zalman finally totally crapped out and have been happy with it. The boompro thing seems similar. Pair one of those with a decent pair of headphones? Senn 598s or something.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Are you against IEMs? I feel like that would be a sure fire fix for noise leakage and there are plenty of Bluetooth options out there for them.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The plastic on my 555s was making GBS threads out after about 7 years. Cracks and general fatigue. Still replaced them with 598s tho.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

PS4 outputting different formats over different interfaces, maybe?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah I think they're open because they're meant to be used while biking or running outdoors so you can maintain situational awareness.

My wife and I both have pairs and use them for biking and they've been great.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

598 Cs?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Stan Taylor posted:

Greetings fellow headphone purchasers.

I had been waiting on a deal on the 598s for like years after missing amazon having them at $100 on black friday so gently caress it, this is a deal.

My only concern is I'm coming from cheaper closed back headphones and do a lot of hanging out in VoIP channels/gaming, so I'm not sure how the open back design will play with my mic that I clip to my headphone cable. Anyone rocking a similar setup have any trouble?

Mine were fine with my lovely zalman until the zalman died, then I got a modmic and have been much happier.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Mercrom posted:

My Sennheiser HD555 broke one too many times after a decade of use. I just want something with accurate enough audio representation for the human ear and good build quality. Can I just buy something that feels nice or do I still have to worry about bass boosting and crap? I'd rather not navigate the cesspool that is the audiophile community.

Just buy some HD558s (or 598)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Just slap a modmic on a pair of headphones you like

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I have had a pair of backbeat fits for like 2-3 years that have been great for me listening to music or podcasts while biking.

Hamelekim posted:

Funny. Audiophiles prefer open headphones because they sound more natural and have better imaging.

Well, for over ear, not in ear. But as has been pointed out it’s a design concession to the intended purpose of the headphone (maintaining awareness of outside sounds while exercising).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

JBL E55BT Over-Ear Wireless Headphones Teal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9EG3DN?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Got these for my wife for this use case a few months back and she is happy with them. Comes with a detachable cable to use in wired mode and that cable has a mic, but no wireless mic.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I also used to have e2cs and switched to klipsch x series a while back. The cables are really good- they get yanked on because I wear them to help me sleep sometimes and haven’t complained. Get some ear tips that fit to keep em from falling out.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Try plugging it into a different outlet (not surge protector)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Looks like 579 is the update to the 555

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Still very happy with my modmic on my 598s

Dogen
May 5, 2002

El Grillo posted:

There've been a few discussions over last few pages but no real results: does anyone have recommendations for in-ear bluetooth headphones, mid-range (£50 - £80 or so), that are decent?

My bro got me some JBL E25sfor Christmas which were all good until after 6 months they started falling apart due to constant use. Also they do have some annoyances like having to hold a button for about 10 seconds just to turn them on or off.

Anyhow Amazon refunded me the cost of the JBL's so I am just checking if anyone knows of better quality ones. I can't really see any alternative on Amazon at the moment that has the following:

6hrs+ battery life
Not total poo poo build quality/sound
Use case: everyday for music & radio/podcasts on commute

There are some Jaybird models, and that's a brand I've seen recommended in this thread, but most of them have crap reviews on Amazon? Maybe I should just go for the JBLs again and hope for a less lovely unit?

BeatsX maybe? You can get em for about a hundred bucks in the US so that ought to be in your range.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

599 is fine. It’s a lot less neutral than their prior 5xx releases though, if you liked the sound signature of those.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

moflika posted:

I'm starting to wonder if my ears would even benefit from something like the 599s over the 559s

With previously releases, would that include the 559, or would I have to go higher to like a 579 to really get neutral? I'm out in the sticks, so trying out beforehand is a bit rough!

I mean probably I went from a 555 to 598s a couple years ago and I can tell the difference.

The 599 is a little different because to me it’s kind of a departure from the Sennheiser sound (flat). If you can I’d try listening to a few different things in your price range.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

moflika posted:

Alright cool, thanks the input!

I can already tell how this is going to go for me. I generally enjoy getting solid gear, so that I won't be held back by "weak links". I just never thought I was going to be in a situation where I have to stick to headphone listening so often.

As always, you get what you pay for, and since the HD600s are so tried and tested, and can be found on sale... I'll wait for those. Monoprice will just have to do until then. Getting the 599s puts me too close to "might as well just go one step higher" territory. haha

Yeah when I have some extra cash I’m like “do I want 6xx or a new knife? Ehhh 598 is good enough, buy more knives”

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Lowness 72 posted:

Uh what kind of knives are we talking about here???

Stabbin’ kind.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

moflika posted:

Yeah, 598 full price is pretty drat close to 600 sale prices here (EU), so I'll probably just do it since as always, once I have legit audio poo poo, I spend the rest of my cash on knives tattoos and records. :)

Ha, I spend my money on those things too. Also Lego. Just been on a knife kick lately.

Meanwhile, my wife is still anxiously awaiting her Powerbeats pro which had tomorrow as the opening date of the delivery window and the order is still on status: processing :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Fellow Powerbeats pro owners:

Pick yourself up some spinfit cp240 tips if you’re having trouble getting a good seal. I could tell the Powerbeats had potential to be good but with the lovely material of the default tips and the unusual sorta on-ear/in-ear design I couldn’t get a good seal and was missing out on bass especially.

Now for a “truly wireless” earbud I think they sound pretty good. I still like my x12s more, but I’ll get a lot of use out of these while riding my bike/doing chores/exercising.