Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
So I built a new computer and now I'm using the onboard ASRock "purity audio" headphone amplification rather than using my old Headroom amp for my VSonic GR07s. I honestly can't notice a difference, so I'm happy except for the lack of analog volume control.

The problem with this is digital volume control is complete poo poo. Are there any in-line volume control bits that are actually high-quality and won't add a notable hiss to my audio? I ask because the two I already have, one from Radioshack and another that came with some lovely pair of earbuds my wife bought, both introduce an annoying hiss. It's not even just on these, it's on any pair of headphones I pop in.

Figured this would be a good place to ask, any ideas for a good analog volume control that doesn't involve adding an amp/preamp to my system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Ultimate Mango posted:

You may want a volume attenuator. Shure and Bose both used to pack them in with certain models and may work cleanly enough for you. No reason not to get an amp though, they can control things nicely and there are decent FiiO and other inexpensive brands.
With an attenuator you would just go loud from the PC and notch it down.

The attenuator sounds like what I need to look into. An amp seems like overkill to just gain analog volume control when I'm already happy with the sound directly from this. In the meantime (as in, the hours that it'll take to wade through the audiophile cesspool I find when searching for "headphone volume attenuation"), I'm just going to assign two of my unused mouse buttons to VOL+/VOL-.

Thanks for the suggestion.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

me your dad posted:

Do you all wear big headphones in public? I may be taking a job soon which will have me commuting via train. I know it comes down to 'don't worry about what others think', but I do worry about looking like 'that guy'. If nothing else Beats headphones have gotten people used to seeing bigger headphones and that's a good thing, but these are ATH-M50, which are a little larger and much less stylish.

The difference is that Beats don't count as headphones in those kinds of situations, they're basically jewelry/"bling" that people are wearing as status items (ie "I've got baller money so I can buy the most expensive poo poo there is whether it's good or not!"). I've worn huge headphones on commutes before and given no fucks, but I found that I prefer IEMs for that purpose.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Retarded Pimp posted:

The V Sonic GR06 has more bass than the RE400 though it's less accurate. It's got a swiveling nozzle and a plethora of different tips, so getting a good fit shouldn't be too hard.
http://www.lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?cPath=15&products_id=37&osCsid=cbc94acd3fd88d1e5a77195e0dd6a131
I know they're not white or shiny, but they're 80 Singapore Dollars, which is about 80 cents to the US Dollar which comes out to $65, one of the better deals out there.

I've never tried the RE400 and my past "decent IEM" experience is simply with an old pair of Shure E2Cs, but the GR06 are pretty decent to my ears. I grabbed the GR06/GR07Mk2 set from LendMeUrEars hoping my wife would use the GR06, but it turns out she hates things over her ears. I now keep them in my laptop bag as a backup in case I forget the GR07s, but they sound pretty good. The bass is pronounced and the highs/mids are a bit less clear, but they're definitely not awful.

Which reminds me, I ended up grabbing the VSonic GR02s for the wife since she liked the GR07/GR06 sound but not the physical feel of them, and they're pretty awesome for 38USD shipped. Bass is definitely the focus but you can definitely tell they're related to the better VSonics (in a good way).

I still have my Shure E2Cs, but the left side is completely dead. Shure won't fix them, but they offered me a roughly 50% discount on the SE215s. Anyone have any experience with the SE215s AND GR07Mk2s? Is it even worth grabbing them?

Also, I'm looking at getting something other than my Sennheiser HD439s:

Budget - $100ish max. A bit over is OK, but under would be great.
Source - Computer, directly. It has ASRocks' "PuritySound" amp so high-ohm is OK.
Isolation - I probably want closed phones because I use these regularly while my wife is asleep a few feet away. Some sound leakage is fine, but probably not open cans.
Preferred Type of Headphone - I love IEMs, but this will be used for gaming and other late-night stuff when I might need to regularly remove them, which makes my GR07s a bit of a PITA. I want something over-the-ear that I can pull off fast if I need to help my toddler with bathroom stuff or whatnnot during the night.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I like my bass, but I don't like it muddy. I like my highs and mids too, but I definitely like clean bass with a punch and muddy bass is most likely to turn me off of a pair of headphones.
Past Headphones - VSonic GR02/GR06/GR07Mk2 - I love everything about the GR07Mk2 other than putting them on and taking them off. I'd like the bass a little punchier sometimes, but for the most part they're great. Shure E2C - I loved these, but I've been away from them so long I can't really compare. Sony V700DJs - these were awful. Everything sounded really flat and muddy across the board and the soundstage was just awful. Sennheiser 439s - I use these now. I guess the bass just feels really artificial and there's nothing else particularly good about these. I guess what I want is a sound as close to my GR07s in over-the-ear form as I can get in my pricerange, with maybe a bit more bass?
Preferred Music - I listen mostly to movie/game soundtracks, though I also will be playing games and occasionally watching TV shows with these.

I got to test a pair of Grado SR60s a few months back and I didn't mind the sound, though I didn't like the open design. It felt like too much sound was going somewhere other than my ears.

Also, these have to be comfortable with glasses, which was the only reason I bought the HD439s.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Midorka posted:

You should look into the Creative Aurvana Live!

The brand frightens me, but they're basically Denon internals? Interesting. How are they with highs and mids?

drat headphone shopping, I wish there was a giant loving headphone store that had all of these things sitting around so I could demo them.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

WugLyfe posted:

Depends where you are, actually. In Boston/surrounding areas, this exact type of headphone store is getting big traction. I mean, you're still listening in a higher-noise environment, but comfort is a lot more important that people think right away.

I didn't find anything like that while I was staying out in Seattle a few months back, but now that I'm back home in Milwaukee, WI there's probably nothing. Nothing that I see online, at least.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

I hope I didn't make a huge mistake, but Best Buy is apparently closing out Sennheiser HD-380 Pros here for $99 and I grabbed a pair after doing a quick look on reviews. I'm not going to be able to give them a long listen until later tonight, but they seem to be a good step up from the HD-439s they are replacing.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I was almost 100% sure they were actually meant to complement/replace the HD-280. The model number certainly seems to indicate a connection, and they're both in the "studio" line. The 280 is still there, though.
http://en-de.sennheiser.com/headphones/studio

From what I can see the HD-439 are removed from that page, though. Weird, the HD 449 are still listed under "Music & entertainment", as are the older HD 438.

The people in this thread seem thoroughly unimpressed with the HD 380.

When I was checking I read http://www.head-fi.org/t/417831/hd380-vs-hd280

The gist I got is that at the $200 MSRP it's probably not great, but other than the HD-280 Pro I didn't see it compared to many $100ish headphones. They certainly don't sound as nice as the VSonic GR07 but I don't have the cash to match decent IEMs with my daily-use headphones.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

So I just picked up V-Moda Crossfade LPs on an Amazon deal a few days back.
I've been using Sennheiser HD380s for a few months, and while I have liked the sound and the actual cup size on my ears, the plastic headband doesn't seem to wear well and the clamping force makes them relatively uncomfortable.

Meanwhile, I'm finding the LPs incredibly comfortable, but I'm having a hard time deciding which I like more. It's a shame because appeasing the wife means keeping only one pair. :cry:

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Electric Bugaloo posted:

At the same time, there's something to be said for occasionally going "up yours, wife" and doing what you'd like. It's not like either of the headphones are particularly expensive anyway.

Like, I definitely appreciate cost consciousness and sticking to budgets and all that, but this thread is just full of people (myself included) agonizing about poo poo all the time. This hobby's supposed to be about fun and escaping life's headaches, not giving yourself more poo poo to stress over. Follow your bliss man.

I think I'm just going to stop stressing and sell the Sennheiser HD380s. They don't seem to be clearcut winners in any way, they seem to be a bit more punchy with low bass than the Crossfades but less punchy in the mid. There's nothing they do that really sets them apart, I guess.

Agonizing aside, is there anyone with VSonic GR07 Mk2s that has found good foam ear tips for them? I have Comply T-400 foamies that sorta/kinda fit with some stretch work but they very occasionally push in weird ways or separate from the IEMs as I'm pulling them out, which is totally not fun.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Bea Nanner posted:

I'm looking for some solid over-ear/on-ears that are sub-$100 (ideally). Requirements are that they are portable and look cool and don't suck.

Current front runner: http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestig...&keywords=grado

Can anyone top that for the price range?

Looks might be subjective, but I'd venture that Grados aren't cool-looking by many people's (read: non-headphone-nerd) standards. Also, I wouldn't say they're portable. Yes, you can carry them from point A to point B, but if you're using them on public transit or something you're going to get weird looks/angry comments.

I also hate supra-aural phones though so maybe I should just put that to rest.

I'd recommend the Creative Auravana Live: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA/

Also, if you can wait, the V-Moda Crossfade LP are nice and sorta stylish and regularly drop to $70-90.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

shymog posted:

[snip] is there anyone with VSonic GR07 Mk2s that has found good foam ear tips for them? I have Comply T-400 foamies that sorta/kinda fit with some stretch work but they very occasionally push in weird ways or separate from the IEMs as I'm pulling them out, which is totally not fun.

Sorry to bump, but this went over a page. I know we have a lot of people recommending VSonic IEMs, has anyone found good replacement tips? I like foamies, but the included foamies felt like hard, cheap poop. Comply T-400s do a half-assed job of fitting, but have issues on removal that can be pretty annoying.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Xovaan posted:

Are aesthetics important to you? What's your budget? It's a pretty different sound signature in general depending on how you roll your tubes and if you go pure tube vs. hybrid. Tubes are also really pretty to look at:

What is this beautiful thing and where can I buy it?

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Xovaan posted:

Allnic HPA5000. I think you need a small loan to buy it though :spergin:

edit: YEP ONLY SEVEN GRAND

gently caress. I have zero need for a tube amp and I therefore can't justify buying that, no matter how pretty it is.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Henchman 21 posted:

Anyone use the Vsonic Gr07 bass editions? I'm getting a pair of ba-200 from TDK as an RMA and I'm thinking about selling them and switching to the Vsonics. Primarily used for rock and dance music. I'll be running them off of a Fiio X3 and E12 blanc. Basically just curious on comfort for long term listening and bass response.

This is probably only partially relevant as I own the GR07 Mk2s, not the BE, but it's a bit frustrating because common 3rd-party tips don't fit the gigantic, thick barrels. The stock foams were decent, but they wore out fast and the other included tips don't fit well for me.

Still, when I manage a good fit, it's pretty decent and I can keep them in for a few hours at a time. Sometimes the sibilance makes me pull them out, but that might not be a problem on the BE?

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Y'know, the reasoning is lovely. The reviews are stupid. I didn't look at cost and it's probably astronomical. The product doesn't seem that retarded, though, except for what the golden ear magic people feel it's doing for them.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

I have a bit of a dilemma. I like my VSonic GR07 Mk2s a lot. The sound is great when I can get a good fit, if a bit sibilant at times. They aren't super-bassy but they get a decent oomph, and the mids and highs put a smile on my face. The problem is, this is increasingly seeming to be a problem for me. See, VSonic was slightly stupid and made the stalks (is there a better word for this?) that the earpieces attach to a stupid, weird thickness. This makes stuff that I love like Comply T-400 foam tips not actually fit right.

I've tried weird modifications to Comply tips to get them to fit without any luck. The originally-included foam tips don't fit right, and I just don't like rubber tips. I need roughly Comply T-400s in SMALL for my left ear, while my right can fit small/medium. Hooray for weird ears!

So, reluctantly, I'm looking at moving on from these out of frustration, unless someone can give me a better tip solution for the GR07 Mk2s.

Budget - $150-200
Source - Nexus 5, Macbook Pro, desktop with a well-amped headphone output. No separate amps.
Isolation - IEMs, so yeah.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEMs.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I don't have a huge preference, other than liking my highs and mids to not sound muddy and still have a bit of low-end oomph.
Past Headphones - VSonic GR07 Mk2s (current), Shure E2C, V-Moda Crossfade LP (current desk use), Sennheiser HD-380 Pro, Sennheiser HD-439, Sony V700DJs (LOL).
Preferred Music - Random mix of almost anything outside of country. Video-game music, electronic stuff (The Knife/Fever Ray/Ladytron/etc) and whatever else I feel like.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

grack posted:

Put some blu tac on the stems, then put the Complys on.

You could also try and get some Sony Isolation Hybrids or Monster Foam Supertips (silicon tips with foam padding for increased isolation)

Tried the Sony tips, but I didn't care for them. I did have a pair of old Jays foams that I got from eBay but they don't seem to be available. I was not even aware that Monster SuperTips were even a thing.

Ordered the SuperTips Gel + Foam Kit. I read a bit and it seems like the SuperTips don't fit perfectly, but they fit better than Comply tips? I'll find out Friday! Thanks, you might have saved me from going deeper down the rabbit hole!

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

BurningBeard posted:

Okay, I'm sad and am looking for goon guidance.

So I had a set of Vsonic GR07s for almost a year. Right earpiece has dipped to a whisper while the left is fine. I emailed their support as I'm still in warranty, but the year is up on May 6th, so who knows if they'll get back to me in time or not? I'm prepped to buy a new set, so here are my criteria.

Hopefully someone gets back to you. My GR07s are fully working, but the sibilance keeps me from listening to them regularly, and I just use my V-Moda Crossfade LPs. I really preferred the GR07, but way too fatiguing.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Midorka posted:

No brand is consistently awesome when it comes to build quality, except maybe Beyerdynamic. I've never heard a complaint about them.

Edit: What is NRR rating?

NRR is noise-reduction rating, like the stuff you wear on construction sites or while at a gun range. They're rated 0-30 IIRC, with 30 being the most protective. Basically, he's looking for earplugs-with-speakers rather than actual headphones. Unfortunately I have no experience to share on that front.

featurecreep fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 15, 2014

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Retarded Pimp posted:

Got those Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 the other day and drat, for $25 it's going to be hard to beat, they sound really good.

Another vote in for the Pistons-are-excellent-for-$25 crowd.

I've been getting seriously pissed off with my VSonic GR07 Mk2s lately (the sibilance bothers me the more I use them) and these totally hit the spot without breaking the bank.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Trompe le Monde posted:

Are the Seinnheiser HD439 or HD449 any good? They're on sale so they're within my price range. Also I was reading reviews about burn in time or something, is that real or just more retarded bullshit.

I have a pair of HD439s and the only things I can say that are positive about them is they didn't make my ears bleed, and they were fairly comfortable for long use with my glasses. It's not offensively bad, it's just not great in any way.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Red_Fred posted:

I finally got my Xiaomi Piston IIs. I have forgotten how wonderful having a soundstage is considering I've been using isolating IEMs for years.

Anyway what are some compatible tips? The supplied ones are junk. Ideally memory foam.

Assuming these Piston IIs aren't different from the original Pistons, I use Comply T-400 with them and haven't had any problems.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

PardonMeHippo posted:

Ok, right now I'm looking at the Vsonic GR07 and the Etymotic HF5. From reviews it seems like I might enjoy the sound of the GR07 better than the HF5. I do like the high isolation rating of the HF5 though, but some people complain about the fit. Any thoughts?

As someone who owns the GR07 I have a few frustrations with them. Finding replacement tips that actually fit well is a bit of a pain. Also, the sibilance is incredibly fatiguing. I'm using Mk2s, though, so I'm not sure if they've improved that at all.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Midorka posted:

NVX XPT100 comes to mind.

Just wanted to chime in, this is a great option, especially for people with clamp-force issues. I wear glasses with pretty thick frames which makes my ears very sensitive to heavy clamping and I wear these 5-8 hours a day at work. Sometimes I need to take a break because it gets a bit warm under them, but I never have an issue with clamp force. It's a nice bonus that they sound great, too.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

So, let's say I have terrible tastes. My daily-driver Xiaomi Piston 2s died a day ago on the way home from work. I liked them more than my VSonic GR07s which I'm needing to use as a backup.

Are the Piston 3s equivalent? Does anyone know a legit seller for them in the USA?

Alternatively, is there anything else in the sub-$75 range that would have the same balance of not sounding like muddled poo poo, while having a nice kind-of-inflated bass kick like the Pistons?

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

grack posted:

The Piston 3s have a different sound signature than the Piston 2s and have less bass. The HifiMan RE300 or JVC Elation perhaps? I'm also a big fan of the OM Audio InEarPeace - they have more or less the exact sound signature you're looking for. The issue with the InEarPeace is that the nozzles are pretty big and aren't comfortable for people with small ear canals.

Hmmm. On those InEarPeace, are the nozzles too large to fit Comply T-400? That's kind of a requirement for me since I haven't found something else that fits as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-990s because I read about them quite a bit here and asked some coworkers for their recommendations as well.

They sound amazing.

I picked up the 32 ohm version, hoping to be able to power them from my phone (S7 Edge), but it turns out they don't sound as good as from my (discrete amp'd) motherboard onboard audio. Just a little too quiet, or just like they aren't getting enough power. I get a fairly similar experience from my Macbook Pro I use for work.

So, what's a good PORTABLE amp that I can use for these?