Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Got some KZ ZS10 IEMs. First impressions, mid bass bloat, but pretty nice overall. Nothing fatiguing. Might be my new favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've actually got an Anker mechanical keyboard with Cherry Reds. Bought it like 4 years ago and then discontinued it a month later. Still works perfect though! I also have an Anker battery fast charge pack with Samsung LiON cells. All their stuff has been really solid for me for years.. except one of their 10ft USB micro cables that poo poo the bed and was made like poopy.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've got 5 pairs of Velodyne Vpulse IEMs now. My first 2 pairs almost 5 years ago broke, but I recent fixed the cable. Then when the pink ones were on closeout for 15 bux a pair I bought 3. Win.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ItBreathes posted:

You'll be hard pressed to beat foam tipped iems for portability and isolation.

Not true, those Bose do active cancellation and the effect is crazy good. Its like the air was sucked out of your ears suddenly.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lube banjo posted:

If I do this I only get to use ~15% of my amp's power. what the heck is the point of having an amp if it's going to stay so low

Your headphones are too efficient for the amp. Get new headphones that are inefficient?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've read a bunch of sites saying the the schit stuff is bad. Like really bad. I'm not going to find the links but this thread is bearing that out.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I keep looking for a pair of IEMs to replace my older Velodyne Vpulse's. Any recommendations? Should have flatish mids and highs, no bass bloat, massive subbass.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Insanely Sikh posted:

Hey it's me again, I bought XB90EX on Grack's recommendation about 4 years ago (!!) and they're still going super strong but I've sadly lost one of the rubber holds on the bud, so have had to tape over the exposed innards.

Thinking of replacing them again and wanted a view on bluetooth neckphones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RHA-MA650-Wireless-Ear-Headphones-Black/dp/B074QKGG72

Few q's:
1. Has anyone had experience with RHA?
2. Would these be a big step down from the XB90EXs?
3. Are there any other brands I should be looking at? Guessing Sennheiser but just checking in case I've missed others.

I've had a blast with the XB90EXs and I'm worried about replacing them for an inferior product to be honest, but they go for like GBP 450 on eBay now so not too keen on buying the same again.

Thanks in advance.

That's funny. I got a pair of those for about $90 and sent them back. They sounded kind of hollow but with a lot more detail than normal for a V shaped IEM. Not my favorite and I love bass. I ride my older Velodyne Vpulse IEMs which have more subbass than the XB90EXs and way way better mids and highs. Maybe a slightly less open sound though I suppose.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

I've owned far fewer headphones than a lot of you guys I suspect, but I've played around with friends' pricier headphones and still preferred my XB90EXs.

Agree with Grack, I had to play around with EQ settings quite a bit to get the best of the XB90EXs.

I'll fully agree they have completely unique tuning. I'd venture to say one of the more open sound stage IEMs I've heard. Problem is that stage was regardless of content from my testing. I didn't hate them but at the end of the day, they weren't cheap so I bought another set of Vpuleses

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

You have to make a distinction between tuning and the technical capability of a set of headphones. A "hollow" sound is often due to a somewhat quieter midrange, but that can be fixed with a good equalizer. Like I said, what made the XB90EX so good was that they used a really technically capable driver, just tuned differently. If you're willing to spend the time to find a good EQ preset, they're great headphones.

For example - my daily drivers are a set of Sony XBA-4s. While enormously technically capable in terms of detail reproduction and presentation, they had very odd treble tuning that turned a lot of people off. I nabbed a set for $100 and once I figured out a good EQ preset, they sound fantastic.

I'm onboard with the Sony sound. My next pair of investment IEMs will be some high end Sonys. It's a minefield out there in terms of models though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've heard the Sabre dac is pretty fn amazing. I really wish the part that plugged into the USB C connector was smaller so you couldn't accidentally break the port easily.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AEMINAL posted:

Lol this guy is two kinds of *phile

His constant anime backgrounds freak me out. loving gross.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
IEMs with the best quality sub bass? While also having very nice detailed mids and non fatiguing non sibilant treble? I dislike midbass bloat very much.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

5-HT posted:

if money isn't an issue, campfire andromeda.

Jeeeeeez. Yeah I should put a price range. Say 100-200?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

5-HT posted:

Sennheiser IE80 or IE80s then. they're usually hovering around $299, but it's pretty easy to pick up a used pair on ebay for under $200.

quote:

These are advertised as "adjustable bass" but only with the bass turned all the way down did they have good sound quality. Otherwise it was just bass bleeding all over the music.

I really don't like this description. I've purchased a bunch of IEMs with this kind of tuning and sent them all back. The sub bass must not interfere with the mids and there must not be midbass bloat. Those 2 things completely ruin music for me. On the other hand, if i can't hear that subbass slam with really nice texture I get sad.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

I'm a fan of hybrid IEMs with BAs for the mids/highs and a dynamic driver for the bass.

I liked the Fiio F9s enough that I stuck comply tips on them and bought a (relatively cheap) bling silver cable from Brainwavz.

I have a stock of Comply tips because I run a lot and they really help to keep the things in my ears. I'll check out the Fiio F9s.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I almost decided to get some KZ ZS10s and then realized I bought some of them for my kido 8 months ago. So I borrowed them back with some Comply tips and compared to my gold standard IEMs the Velodyne Vpulses. Not great unfortunately. The mids sound like they are in a can, bass is a bit bloated and treble isn't special. Kind of disappointing that a 4 BA with 1 dynamic driver IEM can't even match one good dynamic driver in the vpulse.

One of these days I'll find an IEM that can beat the vpulse. So far, though, about 10 of them have been pretty fail.

here is the next one on my list:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HLZW5NM/?coliid=I32ZM0PHF5GQ7Z&colid=1KNJGXYMCO3HF&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Sources say it is unreal good. Flat to 10Khz and then dips pretty hard.

oh and these:

https://www.amazon.com/BGVP-DMG-Fid...GQN0Y45RWNWZSYD

anyone have a pair of either of those? any comments?

redeyes fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 3, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I run constantly and the trick for me is Comply tips. Roll those suckers and the IEMs will stick in your ears well.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I bought a LG G7 Thinq with the OMG quad dac analog headphone output. Needless to say the reviews are right. The output on this phone can take the place of high end portable DACs. The output is sublime, powerful, detailed, etc. All those words. Highly recommended!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

No specific suggestions but it sounds like you want a wireless "hearing aid" universal IEM at the bottom end of the price range. Check out whatever your local suppliers stock.

I kind of want to suggest something super obvious (hiding in plain sight) like a phone operator headset hooked up to a switch so you can flip between phone calls and personal audio but that might be a bit more involved.

Any bluetooth headset would do this connected to a phone. You know the kind that hang off one ear like this: https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-...L70_&dpSrc=srch

Or this kind of thing for stereo: https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetoo...+headset+stereo

The switching would happen with the phone it should just pause/mute the podcast if a call comes in.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite IEMs can crackle when Im running. Im not sure if its wind hitting some port on them or the pressure change from my ear canal but its a little annoying

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just ordered the BGVP DM6 direct from china. Word is they are the best IEMs under 1000 bux from china. Chifi. I got a month of waiting time though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
BGVP DM6. Anyone have a set?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

Nope. But I think I know what YouTube video you watched.

The neck puncher dude. Yeah. Thing is I've heard his 'reference' Sony EX1000s and he likes them better. Yeah I ordered them. On the slow boat from china. If they can compete with my Velodyne Vpulse I will be happy as a clam.

I like the fact he seems to have a buttload of gear and has no apparent bias.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

Be interested in your opinion of them once they're in your hands/ears.

Will definitely report back. I've got 3 sets of chi-fis to compare to, and 4 sets of Velodyne Vpulses. One set of Sony's, A set of Sennheiser open backs and mad studio monitors. If there is something off I think I will notice.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

B-Mac posted:

I’m trying to nail down some audio issues with my PC. I have an Asrock Z370 Taichi Motherboard and audio Technica ath ad700 headphones. Whenever my GPU load increases in games I get some humming/buzzing on my audio that worsens as load increases. I’ve played with various settings, swapped surge protectors and tried resetting the GPU and the PSU yet it still persists. Motherboard standoffs and screws are also ok, It also happens with a second pair of headphones as well. Googling seems to show that some of these boards have some EMI shielding issues.

My question is would a ground loop isolator or usb DAC like the FiiO E10K help with this issue? The external DAC should bypass the onboard audio and maybe the EMI issues within the case if I’m reading this stuff correctly.

Huh, thats weird. I have the same mobo going into some KRK 8" Rokit studio monitors. They have no noise floor at all. Are you running a UPS by chance? Try and bypass it just to see if it helps. That's a bummer though, I am pretty impressed with my boards audio output.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

B-Mac posted:

No UPS. Tried two different surge protectors with the PSU plugged into my kill a watt and without. Just changed out PSU to another EVGA I had laying around and it made it worse. Not terribly impressed with Asrock right now with what this board retails for.

Odd!! I'm trying to think of things that could be causing this. Usually a ground loop is involved and if you were using powered studio monitors, this would cause a loop (just break the ground pin off the power cable). But headphones.. huh. I can think of one thing to try. The board has an automatic resistance checker for the line out/headphone out. You can 'fool' it by plugging in a headphone extension cable first, hit play on your music, then plug the phones into the extension. If I do that I get more power for sure. It might do something to the noise, but I dunno. You don't have any mic's or other line input things do you?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

B-Mac posted:

I get noise with headphones plugged directly into motherboard and on the front audio as well. The only mic I have plugged in is the Samson Go Mic which is USB powered. During normal use I have no static or humming, its only when the GPU starts to get loaded, its a MSI Gaming X 1080 ti. I have also tried various versions of the realktek drivers, a few never and some older ones to no avail. All these components worked fine with my previous MSI Z170 SLI board.

Changing back to my new EVGA makes the issue better, but its still present. Im gonna give that ground loop isolator and then the external DAC a try and see how it works. Worst thing I can do is return them if it doesn't fix the problem.

Try and unhook the front panel audio connector and see if the hum goes away. Thats about all I got.

[edit] Does that headset have a Microphone? unplug that cable and see if it helps

redeyes fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 11, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I still can't believe those Porta Pros are still for sale. I literally bought a pair in like 1987! They did last at least 10 years from what I remember.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just got the BGVP DM6's. Problem is my wife yelled at me and wont let me open them until xmas. Goddammit. No reviews any time soon.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Varg posted:

lemme guess she also "let" you buy them with your own money you make lol

;_;

I've got my LG G7 with Quad Dac. 8 sets of IEMs to A/B against. Comply foam tips. FLACs, DSDs, etc. Blueballs from hell over here.

I even tried the 'well what if they are broken?!, I better try them out real quick' argument which might have worked except she asked if they were on Prime and they weren't so that isn't going to work at all.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've been paying attention to other people that tried to purchase the BGVP DM6 and it turns out its a complete shitshow. Bunch of sellers from China have been ripping people off. I guess I'm lucky I ordered from a decent seller on Amazon. At this point though, they are sold out everywhere. I havent even heard my pair yet.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

I'm thinking of buying a set of Sony EX800STs. Good idea? Bad idea? Other options at that price range?

Isolation isn't a big issue and I'm only interested in IEMs. Over ears are a no go because of TMJ issues.

I decided on those vs the DM6's. Ended up getting the DM6. Been watching Badguygoodaudioreviews?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

Not lately. I've heard the EX800ST's before and they've dropped to what is a pretty reasonable price for their capability. Can you give a comparison?

I can't.I was shopping in the 200-300 dollar range and the DM6's came out cheaper. From reviews, the bass on those things can blow your ears out if you eq it like that.. mids and treble are supposed to be studio flat which is what the ST stands for. They might not be as 'fun' as other IEMs though, since they are made for studio use.. but this is just a guess. They are in my top 10 IEMs to try though if it helps.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So, I finally unwrapped my BGVP DM6 for xmas and have been listening to a lot of my library. These IEMs are legit f'n badass. They are for sure the best sound I have ever heard on any setup.
Review:
Fit/Comfort: These are slightly large IEMs. They are 3D printed and are very comfortable. The included tips should fit anyone but I use my standard Compy foam tips which work for my ears. They do come with some foam ones as well. The cable is very high quality but I prefer something thinner since I am active. Rated 9 of 10

Sound
Bass: I come from the basshead tree of audio but very much enjoy reference sound, these IEMs scratch my basshead itch yet are reference quality in tonal ability. They go down to say 35 or 40hz with authority. This is pretty amazing for an all-BA IEM. I have heard deeper IEMs but not as accurate. Rated 9.5 of 10
Mids: Sweet mids, male and female vocals are perfect. Not 'shouty' either. I sometimes bump the mids up a hair with my DSP because I like that full sound for some tracks. Rated 9.5 of 10.
Treble: 10 of 10 right away. Really good definition, sound stage, and sparkle. Not piercing but resolving. Perfect tuning. I can pick out detail in tracks I've never heard before easily.

Instrument separation is absolutely outstanding and these IEMs would work well for music production or stage monitoring. No joke.

The DM6 responds extremely well to EQ adjustments, you can alter the sound signature a lot if you desire. I like this.

What really excites me about the DM6 is they are neutral yet fun. In other words, a slamming EDM track sounds super slammin with huge bass and texture. A Classic track sounds ethereal, spacious, and sweet with no bass bloat of any kind. Grindcore metal sounds dense and dark. Every other IEM I personally have tried does better on certain genres than others, generally dependent on bass content and such. The DM6 can do anything.

Value: 10 of 10. $200 is a drat steal for these IEMs. They compete with anything I have ever tried and beat most of them.

Word is since these are custom hand made they are sold out for 4-6 months. For sure they are harder to get right now.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

Like liquid sex being pumped directly in to my ear...

I would like to test these vs the BGVP DM6 which I have. I'd describe the DM6s like that as well. Super badass Dynamic driver vs 5 balanced armatures. Who will win?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

Tough to say. I've listened to some really impressive Chinese stuff over the past couple of years from Toneking etc. but not the DM6s. If the EX800STs have one clear advantage, it's that it's a single driver IEM. No having to gently caress about with crossovers and their associated problems. On the other hand, a good BA will likely still have an absolute resolution advantage over a larger dynamic.

One thing that the DM6s definitely have is that they use an industry standard cable that's easy to replace. The Sonys use a customized connector.

The DM6s sound like they have a dynamic driver in them. It's actually kind of amazing for a full BA set. My reference set is a 10mm driver and the DM6s are even better for 99% of stuff.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
IMO you are going off about stuff that is completely due to the DAC output amp.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

JebanyPedal posted:

What do you mean by that?

I mean the amplifier output is what you are noticing. Not really the DAC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've recently come to the conclusion that balanced armature drivers are super hard to tune right to equal (and surpass) dynamic drivers. It can be done but a lot of the time its more hype than good sound.