Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe you guys can help me with this, although I doubt these are popular headphones itt I really loved these things when they worked and I figured maybe these might be the place to start with more advanced troubleshooting for Wireless headphones. basically my Sony Platinum headset just inexplicably stopped outputting or inputting sound in wireless mode. They connect fine to my PS4, my mac and they also work fine if I plug them in. I've tried absolutely every bit of trouble shooting I can find online to no avail. I guess there is a good possibility they are just defective and I'm hosed. But I really want to believe that they wouldn't just go from working fine to being toast when they connect fine and the speakers work.

The main thing I notice has changed is that when I plugged them into my mac they used to show up as "wireless headphones" and now they show up as "audio chat USB". I have updated the firmware, restored them to factory default hard reset them both manually and via the PS4, talked with sony support, nothing has worked. Should I just accept these are broken or is it possible there is just some silly thing I could do to get them working again. I'm just really disappointed cause Sony won't cover them and I really really liked these things, but I can't in good faith go and buy another pair after having 2 Sony wireless headsets break on me. I'd really like to just get them working again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is basically just a brag post, but I just found a nearly flawless condition pair of Sennheiser hd 650's at a thrift store for $8 :eyepop:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Grifter posted:

I'll preface this by saying I have no idea what I'm doing - my previous headphones have always been cheapo ones that came with my devices, or ones that I can buy in five packs at discount. I'm looking to upgrade a little bit.

Budget - $150 or less.
Source - Iphone 7, PC
Isolation Requirements - I mostly wear headphones while doing household chores (dishes is a big one) and I have kids so I am pretty much avoiding isolation here. Most of the time I tend to wear only one headphone in at a time so I can hear if a kid wakes up and starts crying or people start talking to me.
Preferred Type of Headphone - I like the look of Airpods but I imagine you're paying a premium for the brand name and I don't need that. What I like about them is the lack of cords so that I could wear one at a time without the cords dragging around and pulling it out of my ear, but I could use both when I want to actually listen to music. I don't have any real world experience though so maybe these fall out all the time? Are there completely wireless Bluetooth headphones with over the ear hooks?
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not enough of an expert to say.
Past Headphones - Junk.
Preferred Music - I listen to mostly sad folky stuff like Sufjan Stevens. These would get used for that sometimes but more likely for podcasts or netflix or youtube.

I've used my airpods daily for a couple of months and they have never fallen out once. I'm also moving around a lot whenever I use them. I'd probably have to knock them into something to get them to fall out. I'm sure some people have different shaped ears but they seem really well designed to stay in. They also have pretty good range so I just keep my phone somewhere safe while I'm using them. They are really good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can you guys recommend a decent cheapish amp to use with HD 650s?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

5-HT posted:

JDS Labs Atom, $99, measures stupid well, and it's very very clean. one of the best values in audio out there.

if you're needing a dac too to pair with it, khadas tone board @ $99 is great, and also has spdif, but you have to make your own case for it. although there are 3d cases available for $20 - $35, and a manufacturer in France w/ premade cases for around the same price point.

regardless that combination will give you a setup w/ a noise floor and specs better than 99% of other gear out there, and that's including units and setups that run hundreds of thousands more.

:cool: Thanks I'll check it out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've had 3 pairs of virtual 7.1 headphones and I'm convinced it's pure snake oil.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

if this isn't kosher in this thread I'll edit this out, but I'm selling some HD 650s for $130 in SA Mart if anyone is interested.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897136&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post497813399

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I want a nice pair of wireless headphones and have been drooling over the XM4s for a couple of weeks after trying them out and thinking they sounded great and were unbelievably comfortable. In fact the target by my house has them on sale for $299 and I'm drat tempted to get myself a pair today.

My issue though is that probably over half of my headset use is console gaming. Obviously using them on PC or Steam Deck won't be an issue, but much of my entertainment time is on Playstation (and to a much lesser extent xbox) which is the only thing giving me pause on pulling the trigger on XM4s. I guess I can just plug them into the controller but that kind of sucks. how viable is using a BT adapter for actual wireless functionality and is the sound quality up to snuff if I just plug them into the controller.

It's just a shame modern consoles don't have bluetooth. It makes everything a pain in the rear end. Like I have to choose between actual nice headphones and tacky gamer poo poo if I want a seamless wireless experience. Idg why I can't just have one really nice headset for everything in tyool 2022. :sigh: Also Idg why Sony can't keep their own drat consoles in mind for their non gaming targeted headphones. just throw a dongle in so people can actually use your poo poo on PS.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sadly my TV doesn't support BT which is pretty frustrating tbh, since it's only a year and a half old and not exactly a cheap TV(not top of the line either). In retrospect no BT would have been a deal breaker but it didn't cross my mind.

I went and grabbed the XM4s yesterday. $50 off and I was having a bad day, so gently caress it, treat myself. Thinking it's gonna be ideal to stick to my Turtle beach 700s for gaming on console anyways. I can always just plug the Sonys into the controller for watching movies etc. if i want. Still can use the XM4s for everything else PC, Steam Deck, music, browsing etc.

I had a brief period where I was like "do I even need these at all" and the answer is no, but i'll be damned if they aren't such a beautiful piece of hardware that there is no way I want to return them. Honestly I don't think I want to use them for online gaming anyways, since even though I don't do completely insane poo poo with my stuff I'd be lying if I said my gaming headphones didn't take a hard rip off the head or light fling across the couch once in a while and the XM4s feel way to dainty to handle that.

Just crazy how good these things sound and how comfortable they are and how good the functionality is. They actually feel like they warrant the huge price tag. Love em.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is extremely superficial and doesn't actually matter, but I'm kind of annoyed that after just a handful of hours the extremely well fitted look of the XM4 earpads go from perfect to wrinkled butthole.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Micro USBs are perfectly adequate for transferring themselves into the trash can.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I briefly mentioned this earlier but is it normal for the XM4 earpads to get all wrinkled after like, one use? I've had mine for less than 2 weeks it's silly, but kind of annoys me.

out of the box they looked like this.

then after literally one use, they permananty (not mine, but very close to how mine look) started look like this and never bounce back.

I only ask because the demo unit at target, which I am sure have seen much more use and abuse still looked brand new and wrinkle free. I'm wondering if I am just being silly/should get over it, or if it's maybe worth calling Sony and seeing if they will send me free replacement pads. I dunno, like I said in my last post it's a stupid gripe and doesn't really affect anything, but after paying that much for headphones, and the form factor being at least a little bit of a selling point it just sort of annoys me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love the turtle beach stealth 700s for PC/PS5 gaming personally.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

just looked at my GF's XM3s and hers are a bit wrinkly but nowhere near as much as that photo. it would have to get a LOT worse to impact sound quality, comfort, or noise cancelling performance tho, right?

Oh yeah, it's totally cosmetic. It doesn't actually affect anything important I just don't like how it looks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah in general they are great. I love them. So comfortable, such good sound, such good noise cancelling, tasteful looking. Agreed with greenbuckaneer about the capacitive button functionality though. I can never get the volume control to work right.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Elentor posted:

Do people itt spend turbo audiophile amounts of money though? This thread is extremely tame, I think you can spend way more than the people itt in a regular home theatre.

I can buy an hd800s but that seems overkill for my needs and tastes and it would cost 1/10th of a high end home theatre setup here. I own 100 USD headphones and most discussion here seems to revolve btw 50 and 500 usd, with the occasional blon or loss portapro mention.

The ridicule diophile thread is where insane poo poo happens

Yeah the main pair being discussed on this page is $350 MSRP and everyone seems to have gotten them on sale or refurbished. It's much higher than the average pair of headphones, but as someone who doesn't want surround sound in my house due to not wanting to bother my roommate, I figure it's my way to have great sound without compromise at a similar price.

I'm far from an audiophile. I base my purchases more on features and QOL stuff. I'm sure a lot of them would scoff at XM4s because they are wireless (to me wireless is an absolute must) even though they sound amazing.

I actually managed to snag a pair of HD650s for $8(!) at one point and realized quickly I had absolutely no use for them. They did sound good but I am not the type of person who want to run an amp to power my headphones and have tangles of wires to everything I'm using. Espcially since most of the time I'm listening to streaming music. I feel like those kinds of headphones are for a very specific niche that is not me at all.

The XM4s are basically the perfect headphones I've always wanted as a normal person who just likes using headphones (although I hate that they don't natively connect to PS5. Really wish they had optional dongle based functionality)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alrright I'll bite. What's the difference between a $100 headphone amp and a $1200 headphone amp? And I saw there was a higher model of the same one that is $2600. What is the difference between a 1200 and 2600 headphone amp? I must know why some of these these cost as much as a cutting edge gaming PC/used Korean car.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After 4 months or so with XM4s they are really like the greatest headphones ever. The fact that they wont work with a Playstation feels almost inexcusable to me though. It's such a bummer having to use my Turtle beaches instead of the XM4s on it since the PS pretty much accounts for 50% or my headphone usage and the XM4s are way more comfortable and have great noise cancelling.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Idg the charging situation with the OTE XM4s. The batteries last so long i barely think about it, but they seem to charge just fine with about any of my USB ports. But if they are turned off they don't seem to charge off anything. I usually have to turn them on, look for the red light, then I turn them off and they continue to charge. For the first time in the year or so I've had them, I actually let the battery run dead and nothing seems to charge them since they are turned off and I can't turn them on. Really annoying. Anyone else have this issue? I also have Sony Inzone H9s and they are basically the same headphones and they have absolutely none of these issues.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 23, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you’re going to go through the trouble of over-ears then you’re probably okay using a wired connection

No way, I love over the ear headphones and hate wires.

That said I think the Airpods max are too expensive and I don't like how they look. I'm sure they are nice but I'll stick with Sony

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

Sooo hd560 first impressions vs my xm4s : feels like a slightly more refined sound stage, there's kinda like a greater sense of space to everything, which is cool, BUT I do miss the punchier bass of the xm4s (understand this is the usual compromise for open backs). Like if I listen to the track 'Harridan' by Porcupine Tree, the intro sounds pretty weedy on the hd560s, whereas on the xm4s it's properly thick and impactful.

I had some HD650s for a while and they did nothing for me tbh. Maybe I'm just not picky enough about sound quality but XM4s just sound all around way better to me. I mean, they did sound good but so do XM4s I'll take extra bass and wireless over it any day of the week.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My xm4s didn’t seem to be charging right recently. With the battery almost dead last night I plugged them in to where Ive always charged them, come back from work and the loving charge port completely melted. Wanna cry rn lol. gently caress!

I really hope Sony covers this. They are only about 8 months old.

Within the last 12 hours my MacBooks motherboard died, my luxury headphones melted and my PC started running fucky. I hate technology atm.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I dunno, but I am so wary of USB C stuff at this point. This is third time I have had something melt a port (all different devices and chargers. I got rid of any problematic stuff in the past). Everything uses it and nothing comes with a charger anymore just some 2 inch generic USB C cable with little to no info or warnings. This is the first one that stings though. Everything else was cheap junk.

Charging has been weird with this thing from the get go. I posted earlier about how it wouldn't indicate it was charging unless it was on so I often had no idea if it was charging. The last few days I tried to charge it off the lamp on my nightstand and laptop just to find it at a an almost dead battery so it didn't actually charge. So I plugged it in to a usb port on my couch. I have used this port to charge it many times and also use it for other various things including Inzones which are basically the same headphones for gaming. never had any issues. Then all of a sudden I come home to this. The port and headphones where bone dry so I don't think it was moisture or anything.

Anyways look at this crap. Glad it didn't burn my house down.

Googling makes it seem like this is not actually all that uncommon. Really sucks, cause I love these headphones otherwise. Really hope Sony honors the warranty and doesn''t try to blame me or something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeah also the real kicker is it didn’t even charge lol. I turned them on and got the same low battery message I got before I plugged them in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I guess Sony is sending me a replacement for my melted XM4s, thank god. Was worried they were going to try and blame me with the 5th degree they were giving me on the phone. They sort of did and called the replacement a "courtesy" but also said it was a known issue lol. Claiming there was liquid in the port, but I don't know how the hell that could have been true. Idgaf as long as they are sending me new ones.

I think it was a fluke but in the future, I am going to be very careful with what cables I use and what devices I charge them off of. I loved those drat headphones.