Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

RW2 seems fun so far. It's extremely similar on a moment-to-moment level, but all the changes feel like good ways of fixing stuff that was annoying about the first one.

Who knows how the meta will play out once people spend more time with it, but I'd probably vote for going straight to this one if you haven't played either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I've seen you recommend the first game a lot, and I've been wanting to get into it now that my accessibility options are expanding. Would you recommend somebody buy and start with the first one, or just skip to the second?

RW1 is much more polished and bug-free. RW2 is already the better game overall but needs a lot of work, bugfixes, polish, and probably some content additions.

If you're posting in the roguelike thread you probably already have a decent tolerance for jank and rough edges. I'd say go with RW2.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I've seen you recommend the first game a lot, and I've been wanting to get into it now that my accessibility options are expanding. Would you recommend somebody buy and start with the first one, or just skip to the second?

RW1 is different enough that I'd go buy it now and wait for 2 to leave EA.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
RW1 was fun, but hearing that your HP and spell charges regen after each level seals the deal for me. Having all your tools available at the start of each level makes it feel more tactical rather than a resource management game. I prefer that, but I also see how the RW1 system could appeal to someone more.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I do kinda miss resource optimization from RW1. Dancing around to line up mobs during cleanup to maximize leftover charges etc. but I think the regen is the better choice for sure

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Razakai posted:

First impressions of RW2 is that it's a lot harder. While you do fully regen between levels, potions are more scarce, you get less SP and levels in general seem tougher. The items even the playing field a bit but it's still rough compared to RW1.

it does seem harder due to fewer orbs in the early game as well as the mechanic where enemies can get modifiers that give them a bunch of bonus hp and abilities

this makes exotic pet shops quite strong

also being able to guarantee getting the disintegration effect is pretty crazy, and it works on every sorcery spell. really liking the possibilities with some of the new skills

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Deck Fest Thing will likely bring up heaps more, but among them Acolyte of the Altar now has a full on release + demo:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2288880/Acolyte_of_the_Altar/

quote:

Hunt through the wastelands for colossal Beasts in this roguelike deckbuilder. Beware! Beasts grow stronger during battle, allowing them to consume your creatures or counter your spells. Carve profane Gifts from these behemoths and grow stronger to serve your Patron! But serve them to what end?

Hunt the Beasts
Test your wits and your deck against titanic creatures called Beasts, who evolve as you fight them! Rush them down before they reach their potential, or bring large threats of your own to match their strength. Feel the tension of fighting a giant and the excitement of triumphing against the odds with each encounter!

Their Rage Builds
As you fight a Beast, their rage will grow and they will unlock new abilities! Beat the whimsical Gilded Grifter at his cup game to gain an advantage. Or, feed The Yearning Woods' Consume ability, which fills its health bar and its stomach... until eventually it bursts!

Cut Off their Limbs!
Fight back against the Beasts by infesting them with various swarms of insects, setting parts of them on fire, even cutting off limbs and depriving them of their abilities. Interaction with the Beasts lies at the heart of Acolyte of the Altar.

Gifts From Above... Or Below?
After slaying a Beast for the first time, you can offer their body to your Patron, who will carve a new Gift. At the start of a new area, your Patron will bless you with a choice of these gifts that can dramatically alter how you hunt. Take the Crumbling Monument's Skyscraper Sword and make your tallest creatures even bigger. Or capture the elusive Mini Jelly who will zap enemies when you cast spells! However, these profane gifts weigh down your spirit by varying amounts, so be careful with your choices!

Best of luck, Acolyte, and may your Patron bless you!

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I don't even know how you're supposed to kill some bosses in RW2. Was doing pretty well until R20, then I encountered Jormungadr. 4k hp, summons 3 adds every turn, has a map spanning breath attack that "corrupts space" (aka summons random terrain, enemies and gates), plus gains resistances each time it takes damage. Guess I should have packed a Mega Annihilate.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Razakai posted:

I don't even know how you're supposed to kill some bosses in RW2. Was doing pretty well until R20, then I encountered Jormungadr. 4k hp, summons 3 adds every turn, has a map spanning breath attack that "corrupts space" (aka summons random terrain, enemies and gates), plus gains resistances each time it takes damage. Guess I should have packed a Mega Annihilate.

The floor 20 megaboss basically is the end boss. The floor afterwards still has Mordred as usual but he doesn't seem to have any new tricks. He's a bit harder since you probably blew a bunch of items on the prior floor but still probably not as bad as the floor 20 boss itself.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Huh, I figured that was just a random boss. If it's the real final boss that seems fair.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Deck Fest Thing will likely bring up heaps more, but among them Acolyte of the Altar now has a full on release + demo:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2288880/Acolyte_of_the_Altar/

This is giving me Shadows of the Colossus vibes but as a deckbuilder

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
hell yeah beat rw2

lessons learned:

arc lightning still kills everything on an open level but don't use proton storm without heavy (ideally full) arcane resist

going through a portal now clears active enchantments

the petrify-aether dagger trick still works

multitile enemies are epic and badass. really rw2 is an improvement on rw1 if only for this

Razakai posted:

i burned two stopwatches on this fight, i do think jormungandr was harder than mordred.
aoe is very important since i think on the multitile enemies aoe deals once for each covering tile, i used mega annihilate and a buffed up toxin burst

edit: also i used a bag of spikes, this def helped deal with the extra snakes

Pf. Hikikomoriarty fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 26, 2024

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

Roguelikes: also i used a bag of spikes, this def helped deal with the extra snakes

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

:hmmyes:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

hell yeah beat rw2

lessons learned:

going through a portal now clears active enchantments

Between this and how much smaller maps are now, it's extremely important to have some way of buying yourself time on the first few turns to get your poo poo up and running. I've found myself taking stuff like Bone Guard, Houndlord, Faestone, etc just so I have some breathing room, even if they don't interact with my other stuff. Exotic pets are also good for this.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

moot the hopple posted:

I finished the campaign and completed all the unlocks for The Last Spell and had a blast with it overall. I found it to be a fairly successful blend of roguelike, tower defense, and tactical RPG. While I wouldn't call it the peak example of any of its genre forebears, it does well enough at its individual elements to give a pretty singular and unique experience as a whole.

Fair warning, maps can take quite a long time to clear. My average was around a dozen hours per map which I would split up into several gaming sessions throughout a week. This has the unfortunate side effect of making the metaprogression feel a bit grindy, IMHO. While you can unlock things after a night clears, some bonuses won't be available until you start a fresh map. I'd even say you don't really get into the meat of character building until you've at least unlocked all the weapons and a few select gear sets in order to fully see what possibilities are at your fingertips -- and that alone can take some time depending on your play rate, prioritization of other meta unlocks, and chosen apocalypse level.

Speaking of character building, I have to say that was the aspect I enjoyed the most of the game. The fact that everything is randomized (including traits, what attributes you can select from at level up, and even your perk tree) helps keep things fresh and encourages you to experiment. I eventually settled on my ideal version of builds where I knew I would have a god-tier hero if they happened to hit all the right prerequisites. But more often than not a hero would be missing some keystone perk or just roll badly/unexpectedly when leveling up, and I'd have to pivot to something else. The most fun I've had is trying to salvage a hero and make the best out of a bad situation, like starting with a one armed hero who nonetheless managed to be a highly mobile fencer who could weave in and out between enemies and didn't let the fact that they couldn't bear two-handed weapons or a shield/offhand weapon hold them back. Weapons for the most part are decently balanced; some are clearly head and shoulders above others and there are a few that are suboptimal and may need more tuning, but there's a wide gamut of serviceable weapons that you could fit around a build or suits a certain niche like early game carry.

One complaint I'll bring up is that some maps can be a significant step up in difficulty in unexpected ways. Each map has its own unique challenge to mix up the standard gameplay of wave defense which may not be revealed until the boss battle. These can be a hard stop if you weren't prepared to overcome their gimmick, particularly the last two maps. Despite this, I still think you should go into them blind and not spoil them for yourself. I managed to beat the final maps on my first try, but I had optimized builds at that point and had several heroes on my team who happened to be tuned exactly to deal with the threat. I could see it being frustrating for a player who managed to survive to the end but then stalled out because they had no counter for this curveball thrown at you. I'm not going to grouse too much about this because it did make boss fights feel appropriately tense and grueling, and you'll only have the first time playing each map to be fully surprised by it.

All said and done, I put in over a hundred hours into the game and had fun with it. I'd definitely say I got my money's worth and would even return for more if a new DLC ever drops.

They're actually working on a new dlc! Haven't said much yet but it's still a ways off. Otherwise I completely agree with your post, game's great.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Step 1: Ghostball, which spawns allied ghosts in a nuke’s radius
Step 2: Added radius effects + artifacts so you can spawn up to 59 per turn
Step 3: Armageddon Blade with the Mass Armaments upgrade, so they’re all equipped with a glowing sword that can hit melee enemies with Annihilate

You can now effectively cast Annihilate hundreds of times each turn. Enjoy!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I wasn't good at the first Rift wizard, but goddamn, I can't get past the third floor in 2.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Couple tips for RW2:
  • You can reroll rifts for free now without needing a Portal Disruptor. Once per level, press R. Use this aggressively if you don't like what you see in your rifts.
  • Conjuring allies is super super super valuable now, it buys you so much time and breathing space to actually cast. Wolf is probably the best level 1 spell now for that reason (and now that they have Leap innately). Even if you don't take Wolf it's worth looking at one of the Conjuration skills to have a reliable ally for every rift.
  • Game's balance is still in a rough state. Especially level 2 spells got hit pretty hard by the loss of discount shrines. I've had a lot better success going straight for higher level spells after getting my level 1 spell and maybe 1-2 level 2 spells, instead of investing heavily into a wide array of level 2 spells.

I understand why the first couple rifts only give 2 memory orbs now but boy it really constrains how much space you can operate with your builds early on.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

i bounced off RW1 because my dumb brain refused to let me use stuff, something about the distinct rifts breaks my ability to force consumable or die response.

RW2 seems mighty good for making that change.
I love that some RPGs have also moved that direction because you can then balance around that expectation. No more 500 elixirs after beating the game.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

SKULL.GIF posted:

I understand why the first couple rifts only give 2 memory orbs now but boy it really constrains how much space you can operate with your builds early on.

This is the biggest chance I've noticed that it's taking time to get used to. I think it's a positive one though.

Spells refilling every floor is such a refreshing change imo. I constantly felt like I had to hoard my spells in rw1.

All in all, solid so far, but it's definitely going to have a few rounds of patching/balancing in the wild before it's the perfect game or anything

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm finding that I have to be more thoughtful about purchases but rolling with a handful of low level sorceries is still very viable. It's a lot more important to avoid overlap in your build; getting free MP refreshes means that having overlapping spells for the sake of ammo efficiency is a lot less useful, you want more distinction among your bread and butter spells than you did in RW1.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Cerepol posted:

i bounced off RW1 because my dumb brain refused to let me use stuff, something about the distinct rifts breaks my ability to force consumable or die response.

RW2 seems mighty good for making that change.
I love that some RPGs have also moved that direction because you can then balance around that expectation. No more 500 elixirs after beating the game.

It also prevents the converse problem of having so many resources stockpiled that you can just burn them to get through anything in the late game. One of my RW1 wins was entirely undeserved because I got myself stuck next to some extremely powerful fire giant legendary who did enough damage to kill me 10 times over... but it didn't matter, because I had like 18 heal potions and just sat there chugging until Mordred teleported us apart.

e: "problem" maybe isn't the right word - it's fine if that's what you want to happen. But it's definitely a big design constraint to say "at this point the player might have anywhere between 0 and 2000 HP worth of healing available"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

YASD:

Found an early Living Emberstone (summon 1 Fire Spirit for every 100 Fire damage) and leaned heavily into a fire build. Came fully online once I had Prince of Ruin combined with Pyrostatic Curse and Flame Burst. Curse something, explode, and watch the entire stage explode 8 more times, then become surrounded by a dozen flaming spirits.

Did not properly use my consumables on realm 18 even though I only had a couple floors left to go, would've easily been able to avoid being stunned/frozen by using the Chaos Bell.

Houndlord did so much work for me patching up issues in between me casting spells. I had to be deliberate about which rifts I chose to go into since I was leaning so heavily into the fire build.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
First RW2 win, third game overall.

Ricochet upgrade for Magic Missile = good. It did serious work alongside my Orbs, but the real MVP were the Furnace of Sorcery fire hounds that could cast my Magic Missile. I had to set my animation speed to XTurbo to get through my turns.

malnourish fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 26, 2024

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pigbuster posted:

Horror actually can work pretty drat well now with the Worm god. You never have to cast the first spell since Horrorform keeps it down, so the corrosion show runs 24/7. It means you can be tremendously flexible - you can hide in cover to heal while whittling everyone down with corrosion and prayers, or get into an open area and blast everyone in sight with Asi Malak's range + a cleaving weapon, or find a tricksy spot in a tunnel where you can use your innumerable summons to lock every enemy in range of Gore Chant to annihilate them. Very satisfying to play such a versatile build for once rather than a one-note, hard-counter-able glass cannon.

The helmet, Shaakara, was vital for making my bleeds add doom that could do the big damage. The gloves and weapon should definitely be replaced with something better — I was a fool and didn't realize Agni Axe only does 200% astral to adjacent enemies, so it wasn't doing anything.

I tried cargo culting this build and the obelisk boss one-shot me from full (2k+) HP. Should probably start putting more points into vigour. Was also touch-and-go getting it off the ground because it seems to rely heavily on its prestige class. I’m guessing at higher cycles you start with enough levels to pick one right away or very early? I’m thinking I might find the most foolproof build I can and grind out a few cycles because it seems like a lot of builds only really come online once you get the prestige class.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

My first few RW2 runs were just sorcery goodstuffs builds, but this one was a legit build.

Every time I cast Disperse, every enemy in the area gets teleported to a random location and hit with Magic Missile.
Every initial hit of Magic Missile ricochets to 2 other nearby targets.
Every enemy hit with arcane damage deals lightning damage to 2 other nearby targets.
For every 40 arcane damage done (Magic Missile has been boosted to more than 40 damage) the staff will trigger Heavenly Blast on a random enemy (which doesn't have to be in LOS, but if it is, then it will hit everything on the way to the target.)
Every time Heavenly Blast is cast, the robe will hit a random enemy in LOS with holy damage and another random enemy in LOS with dark damage.

Also if I get bored I have about 20 charges of Aether Swap that I can cast in a single turn, each time dealing more damage than Magic Missile does and triggering everything except the ricochets.

There are some other synergies in play here but most of them don't really matter since a couple casts of Disperse just shreds whole levels. The Insanity Queen boss on floor 20 did take a little while to whittle down, it's a build that wants a target rich environment and I was clearing out minions faster than it was spawning them.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wafflecopper posted:

I tried cargo culting this build and the obelisk boss one-shot me from full (2k+) HP. Should probably start putting more points into vigour. Was also touch-and-go getting it off the ground because it seems to rely heavily on its prestige class. I’m guessing at higher cycles you start with enough levels to pick one right away or very early? I’m thinking I might find the most foolproof build I can and grind out a few cycles because it seems like a lot of builds only really come online once you get the prestige class.

Yeah i would put this off until you get to a high enough cycle you can get to horror within a couple of maps

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

Yeah i would put this off until you get to a high enough cycle you can get to horror within a couple of maps

e: narkata is pretty easy, fawdaa teleport builds are pretty good too ( i have some examples in my back posts as well)

Peltast of eris is also gonna be quite strong

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
First RW2 win. Get Pyrostatic Pulse, the chain passive, and all the chaos passives. Cast spell, summon infinity snakes.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm finding most exotic pets to be kinda useless in RW2. The ones that have value are Metallic/Ghostly/Immortal/Burning and of a base type that's naturally tanky like Pachyderms or trolls.

Speaking of prefixes, the Immortal/Lich modifiers are s u p e r annoying to deal with for enemies.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Ok, I just realized most of the spell upgrades in RW2 are actual cool upgrades instead of damage/range etc.

Great change. Tons of cool interaction changes vs how these spells were in RW1. Perfect way to mix things up

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

w00tmonger posted:

Ok, I just realized most of the spell upgrades in RW2 are actual cool upgrades instead of damage/range etc.

Great change. Tons of cool interaction changes vs how these spells were in RW1. Perfect way to mix things up

Yeah a lot of the damage/charges/range got baked into the baseline for these spells -- it's most obvious with stuff like Magic Missile. And all the various minor +damage bonuses that were almost always a trap in the first game are now trinkets.

A lot of the passive skills also got cranked way up, I was surprised to see Fire Lord is now +60% damage up from like +7 or whatever it was in the first game.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah a lot of the damage/charges/range got baked into the baseline for these spells -- it's most obvious with stuff like Magic Missile. And all the various minor +damage bonuses that were almost always a trap in the first game are now trinkets.

A lot of the passive skills also got cranked way up, I was surprised to see Fire Lord is now +60% damage up from like +7 or whatever it was in the first game.

There are also passive skills that cover a lot of the generic bonuses. There's a skill that's just +1 max charge for every spell, and another one that's +2 range, etc.

No universal damage bonus skill, though.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
ok it turns out using dominate on ophan in rw2 is a bad idea

since the corruption attack summons new enemies, you can get into a bad loop

i did eventually get the ding of winning the level but now the screen is full of lich jars, and so i can't find the portal. new enemies are still appearing via corruption, so my dominated army doesn't despawn

presumably every enemy with a corrupts the level attack has this problem too but most of those bosses have tons of hp

i am glad though that word of ice/ice tap/dominate build still works, if anything it is even better once you manage to get it online. i love that word of ice no longer has an hp requirement for the freeze

Pf. Hikikomoriarty fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 27, 2024

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Exotic slime pet filled the map while I waited for this Troubler to teleport to somewhere I can hit it with fireball.

Doesn't help that I keep stunning it with the Time Pipe trinket.

e: Spent my SP and tried to use Flame Gate to summon Fire Elementals with Boiling Blood, but I guess Fire Elementals can't fly because they wouldn't spawn in the void, and there are no land squares left thanks to the slime. Got impatient and used my Orb of Corruption, and now I'm stuck with 3 Burning Gnomes that take no damage from my slimes because they're immune to fire.

Can't teleport now that slimes have filled the map, not that I would have been able to do anything from the few spaces I could tp too. Softlocked!

RIP exotic Blood Bear Lich run, you were amazing.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 27, 2024

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Something something the punishment for slime farming is slime farming.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Summon spam builds are funny but there's been more than once I've gotten myself either locked out or had an achingly slow clear. I now pack at least one Los ignoring attack to deal with this if I'm going for something like that, or grab teleport.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
RW2 should add a food clock mechanic :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Having a very funny time with this current build:

snowy fursphere summons a Yeti every time I do 300 cold damage (minions included). Ice Drakes spam a cone of cold breath. Storm Oculus is -25 cold resist every time something takes cold damage. Icy Chill Mask is 2 ice damage to everything in LOS every time I cast a spell. Immolate with Dragon Soul upgrade (shockingly cheap) is 3 fire damage per turn, +3 fire damage per turn, and every time something dies while immolated I get +1 charge of Ice Drake.

Winter is coming...