Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

For someone who makes a lot of points about What would or wouldn't be rude, You are quite hostile about me asking a question to better understand what your point is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I totally believe that you don't want it agitate people or argue over anything with low stakes lol

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Anyway this seems to be making GBS threads up the thread so I'm curious if anybody has experience with the game I'm considering getting

has anyone in the thread played Armoured Commander II? It came up in a list of controller accessible roguelikes and I'm intrigued by the graphics.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Falcon2001 posted:

Feel free to make a Traditional Roguelikes thread if people want to spin off a berlin interpretation thread. Just remember to only use ASCII characters.

(For real, ToME and DCSS both had a dedicated and pretty thriving thread here for the better part of a decade I think).

I don't see much posting in the dungeon crawl Stone soup thread, and that's probably because of people who start complaining about how it's not like it used to be

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

As another hand pain goon I can attest that anything which vertically aligns your wrist gives a lot of relief. That's why on my good days I can still play things on a Xbox controller, but twisting my wrist horizontally to use a keyboard is just out of the question. A vertical mouse was a strange adjustment for me, but you get used to it.

Also worth mentioning is a program I've gotten a good deal of use out of: xpadder. It's not free, but without it I'd basically wouldn't be able to use my computer lol. It allows me to map normal keyboard or mouse functions onto my Xbox, and you can have multiple profiles so that you can make custom controller setups for games that normally don't have controller support. Plus for me It feels pretty slick to be able to have my controller by my bed and use it to navigate Netflix or turn off my PC without having to get out from under the covers

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I was on your side in the "balatro is not a luck be a landlord" discussion but this really feels like you're splitting hairs

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

No Wave posted:

I'm going to throw some poop here but I dont even classify TVRUHH as a shmup.

No Wave posted:

I don't see it as an entry point into the shmup genre because I think the shmup genre is completely misunderstood/misconstrued. I personally think TVRUHH fixes and improves the shmup genre, but the shmup genre is full of games and players that don't think the genre needs fixing.

I might be honing in on the wrong part of what you are saying here, but I think we can both classify it as a SHMUP because even while you are distancing it from the genre you are describing it as an improvement on that genre.

Tequila Bob posted:

Imagine someone saying:

"Most platformers have fixed level designs, and fans of the genre take great pride in memorizing level layouts and finding the optimal path through a level.

Spelunky has randomized level layouts.

Therefore, Spelunky is not a platformer."

Yeah for real. I can appreciate the discussion of if The randomization is an improvement/necessary iteration, but I don't think it makes it a totally different genre.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Genre classification derail? In the Roguelike thread?!? Well I never

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

We should have a thread that is just for genre classification arguments. It'll be like our 5,000 pages thread

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Genre disagreements are a traditional rogue-like because you continuously restart and it's unlikely anyone will ever win

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

We should start probating people for this, for our own sakes. Take the bottle away from me mods, don't give it back no matter how much I beg

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

The only thing that the Berlin interpretation has taught me is that I do not ever want to go to a rogue like development conference

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

The main problem is that ultimately, "how similar is this to the game Rogue" is not actually a particularly useful yardstick. Even among hardcore traditionalists it's been decades since Rogue was actually a definitive experience. The bigger question is "What is it about Rogue that people actually liked? What did Rogue tap into that gave it such conceptual staying power?"

Yeah if we still called first person shooters Doom clones we'd be having God awful conversations about whether or not having actual three-dimensional rooms above rooms disqualifies your game from being a part of the genre

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Quake is a doomlite because it was designed around mouse look

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Which is a shame, because Roguelike Celebration is super cool and chill. Lots of roguelike developers there, talks diving into how their games work, weird niche roguelikes (there was one on a realtime multiplayer roguelike on the Commodore 64k, for crying out loud!), people just generally having a good time enjoying their interests. It's (these days) a fully-online convention with a custom MUD-styled virtual space, talks given over Twitch (and then archived to YouTube), definitely worth checking out. Here's a few classic talks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKCRim02opc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYMdMAvTHpo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnFj3dOKcIQ

Thank you for turning my snarky joke into a positive learning moment, this is awesome

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Roguelikes: The Berlin Trepidation

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

No Wave posted:

There are roguelike deckbuilders (slay the spire, roguebook, monster train, cobalt core, too many others to count) and non-roguelike deckbuilders (pokemon TCG game boy game, Gwent Thronebreaker). I generally prefer the latter as in I'll enjoy them even if the mechanics are mediocre. People were quick to adopt the term roguelike for the former type because it highlights the distinction between the two types. Not sure what word you'd use otherwise.

I don't think this is an especially strong reason to call the former set of games (slay the spire, roguebook, monster train, cobalt core) roguelikes. You can differentiate these games by the fact that the latter are games where you are playing against an opponent constrained by the same card game rules as you. Meanwhile in the former games It is usually only you that is interacting with the game via cards, and the enemies just have sets of attacks that they cycle through.

Can you use the word rogue-like to differentiate these games? Sure. Is there possibly a better word? Probably

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

There's also the differentiating factor of games where you build your deck over the course of a run or match, and games where you collect cards to assemble into a deck prior to playing.

So really, you could differentiate between the two types of games by just "deck builder" and "collectible card game"

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

By the way Nova drift is very good and it is even better at the low price it is right now. Simple and intuitive controls That feel satisfying, and lots of build variety

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

For me it would be because sometimes I get the sensation that rogue-like is more of a marketing term than a meaningful genre classification. I'm sure there are plenty of us who do enjoy deck builders, I know I do, but even I get a little annoyed sometimes when I look up the rogue like category in steam and it's flooded with primarily deck builders.

I think it would be easier for people to find what they want If you were to snip the thin membrane between them and just let them be their own distinct genres. Like why can't deck builders just be deck builders?

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Because 'deck builder' is an even more obscure term than roguelike and can refer to all kinds of games from Yu-gi-oh style CCGs to Slay the Spire.

"Roguelike Deckbuilder" neatly clarifies "A deckbuilder designed around single runs with minimal to no carry over where building your deck from scratch each run is considered part of the game"

Sure, I hope you're prepared for the same burst combo done over and over again.

I don't really buy that somehow deck builder is obscure, but rogue-like deck builder isn't. You build your deck and start over from scratch each time when playing Ascension, but I wouldn't call it a rogue-like

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

"Obscure" meaning "unclear" not "Unknown." Deckbuilders can be tons of different things and if you want to play Slay the Spire you don't necessarily want to play Midnight Suns.

That's fair. In my mind It made sense to just delineate them as deck builders or collectible card games, but from this I can see where the lines would get too blurry

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

achra has controller support now, i remember someone asking about that but not who it was

Oh poo poo that was me, thank you kind goon for the good news

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

unattended spaghetti posted:

Yeah Imma say it now btw while I’m on a roll Balatro will not stand the test of time if LT doesn’t respond to user feedback. I love it, don’t get me wrong, but it’s deep as a puddle atm.

There’s lots of cool interactions to find, and that is compelling, but what happens when the novelty of finding new ones wears off? The act of playing it never materially changes all that much run to run, you know?

Also I think it will change and evolve. Those sales numbers don’t lie.

I agree. I've been a big fan since the demo, but after playing a good 25 hours I'm noticing that I am seeing a lot of the same Jokers and using them the same way from run to run to the point where I'm kind of annoyed at getting supernova and trousers again rather than feeling excited about it.

Maybe the idea is that you get variety from the different decks and how you can uniquely exploit them with particular Jokers, but I'm itching for more depth myself

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Anyone playing that new backpack battles game? I'm having a good time with it. I'm glad someone finally looked at the resident evil 4 briefcase inventory and went "This could just be the whole game"

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

inchworm posted:

a slots rl might kill me

Nobody tell them

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Accessory to murder

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

unattended spaghetti posted:

Wonder how many lucky legends won't pursue their fate to win big because of this trend

Fixed that for you

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Just looked it up and it seems interesting, but do you have any insight into what it means by inspired by the rule set of net hack? Like is it the same gameplay with different content or what?

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Also I remember there was another goon in this thread asking about alternative options for controlling games as to not hurt their hands, so I would like to report that I am having great success with playing dungeon crawl Stone soup entirely via voice commands. It took some work hacking together a profile in voice attack, but because of the auto explorer and auto attack, plus level map shortcuts, it's painless both literally and metaphorically. Plus it feels kind of fancy to chant "attack, attack, attack" like I'm compelling someone.

If anyone has voice attack and is interested in this as a control method, I'd be happy to find out a way to export and upload the profile so you don't have to do as much tinkering.

Anyway, it's a lot of fun getting back into the saddle with dungeon crawl stone soup and I used to have a lot of pessimism about the changes and streamlining- but after not playing for 6 years and coming back in without being aware of every little change I have more love for the state the game is in. If any of you are purple slime old heads I'd encourage you to give the modern game another shot.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

modern dcss is basically a turn-based arcade game. it rules

It's funny, for years people have joked about who the gently caress cares about points and high scores in games these days, but I think balatro is going to bring a lot of people back around to scores being a good motivator for players. I don't need a story I'm just here to test myself against the machine

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Wow I've never heard of this before. Does it have auto explorer and auto attack? Because if so I'd be able to adapt it to my voice command setup for DCSS

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Ready and primed to shill it to my friends

By the way, does this steam release have keyboard controls by any chance? Because I already have it on my phone but if I could play it on something non-touch screen and without a mouse that would 100% make it worth buying again for me

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I doubt this is the game that you are looking for, but that sounds an awful lot like Warsim

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

HP and spell charges refreshing after every floor has made Rift Wizard 2 vastly less exhausting to play compared to the original, since I don't have that RPG hoarder's instinct interfering with clearing a floor anymore. Just spawn into a new rift and un-fuckin-load on everything. This is an extremely good change and I find myself going for longer sessions with RW2 before needing a break.

It's significantly more difficult than the first game, though.

I've seen you recommend the first game a lot, and I've been wanting to get into it now that my accessibility options are expanding. Would you recommend somebody buy and start with the first one, or just skip to the second?

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

:hmmyes:

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Okay rift wizard 2 is cool as gently caress.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

After a whole afternoon of work studying my grimoire I have been able to cast the accessibility spell on Rift Wizard 2 and make it completely voice accessible. I have no idea what I'm doing but drat it I'm doing it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Dackel posted:

I'm bad at the game, but after dying many dozen of times I finally decided to do a stupid run using the glassy fae staff. turns out it single handedly carried my whole run, all i did was pad out physical attackers and a way to make space with dispersion. Then just focused on pets to stall and defences I guess?

I am also quite bad at this game, but I started surviving a lot longer when I was started to focus on allies