Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Tollymain posted:

man i have not been able to wrap my head around the bloodmage in desktop dungeons at all :saddowns:

any advice?

Roonerspism posted:

Blud2power sux, use sanguine to beat the boss

The above advice works, but you should also try this to help you appreciate the blud2powar glyph:

Be a Halfling, prep flames, JJ (chaos god), fire heart, and smugglers den. Worship JJ straight off, and use the smugglers den to get enough mana to cast the teleport spell. Run around building piety until you get petition and two shots of boost health. At this point with a full health bar you should be able to kill at least a lvl 5 monster using fireballs, health potions, and the fire heart.

I have killed the animated armor boss of halls of steel (the easier version) as my first kill using this strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Roluth posted:

I think I've figured out SOMETHING for PU Witch. Basically, grab Enchanted Shield and/or a source of Thorns? and stall the heck out of the fight. That gives more time for mana stuff to come online. Enchanted Bolt is also a good option once you've Mirrored enough.

i destroyed PU witch with bronze cauldron+upgraded candle, or fruit bowl when i didn't want to spend health.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Roluth posted:

Adding my two cents:

Witch is a character that is all about stalling. She can't go full speed out of the gate like every other character, so she will need ways to delay and stall until she can get her Hall of Mirrors engine online. Freeze is a real good source of this, and the two dice spells are all good choices to have on an upgraded slot for loads of damage and status.

Parallel Universe (PU) Witch is a bit of a different beast, and freeze is a lot rarer and harder to setup in PU. Instead, focus on Shield? and Thorns? to lifesteal your way to victory. Enchanted Bolt and Daffodil are A+ prepared spells as well.

I played the witch like this for the early rounds but for the Elimination round I kept getting blown out before stabilizing. I finally succeeded when I switched up tactics to go for fast damage. The early freeze spell is nice in theory but it doesn't do very much damage unless you roll a 5 and the freeze tends to be really good in a few fights but mediocre when the enemy has lots of dice or can use 1s effectively. But damage helps you in every fight. So I took burning light as my first pick. Burn isn't as good as freeze or shock but the extra damage does add up and you want to be maximizing use of your high dice 4-6.

This range is especially key because of duplicate. Duplicate is great, just way better than the other option doppledice and this way it consistently turns into damage. I still kept hall of mirrors but avoided using it in most fights. Ramping hall of mirrors is still good against the boss.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Lawman 0 posted:

The lockdown has made me crazy enough to try and beat nethack again with the new version. I noticed they made some major e-word changes. Anything else I should take note of?

i love nethack but i don't think i could actually play it again. in particular gehennom is way too much of a slog

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Lawman 0 posted:

Suffer with me in nethack op.
update: about to clear out fort ludios and snagged a wand of death now I just need to find a charging scroll.

whats your nao name?

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

GetDunked posted:

Speaking of deterministic (mostly) combat and feeling like a puzzle game, I've been replaying Desktop Dungeons recently and that game has aged really well. Still looks good, still sounds good (Danny Baranowsky and Grant Kirkhope!), mechanics are crunchy without being obtuse, and the levels are just the right length to be a satisfying decision space without being overwhelming. Could just be the nostalgia talking but I think it's a classic.

i love this game, had a decently long streak on the dailies a while back

one of these days i am going to lp it

goferchan posted:

I was just thinking of redownloading that the other day! Yeah, it's awesome. I feel like it could be a huge hit with a rerelease or something but the original team has apparently gone their separate ways.

there is a fan expansion which seems really cool but also extremely difficult

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
i finally got over the hump on rift wizard, have won twice now

super fun game, exactly the kind of gameplay i love with lots of systems that interact in cool ways

is there a thread?

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Stirdog posted:

I see the desktop dungeons remaster differently. It's not for people who read this thread at all. We already own it or would buy the original based on word of mouth.

A steam release allows them to reset the clock and remarket their product. They needed to do something new to go along with that and... They really squeezed a lot of content out of their concept gameplay wise already. The graphics were just a way to justify a release and generate some hype.

drat good game, would recommend the current 2D version.

agreed, i might just buy the new version since i put so many hours into the old one, figure the devs deserve my support

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

icantfindaname posted:

I think the reputation is unfair; It’s not THAT complicated, and it’s not like the mechanics in the other ascii roguelikes are spelled out to the player in simple format, even in modern games like Qud. A number of the systems in nethack are basically irrelevant, like identifying rings with sinks is never worth it because it destroys the ring and you can just use id scrolls. The pet AI sucks but you can simply play without them. Stealing from shops is basically never worth it, there’s more than enough money to buy everything you see in shops. Polypiling is another complex system that is almost never worth the effort. The game is much less complicated than Dwarf Fortress IMO, even including the systems you're better off ignoring

Then you have wishing and genocide that are very powerful, complex but not TOO complex systems that aren’t really matched in any other game IMO. It’s not a kitchen sink thing, some of the features in nethack are legitimately really cool and well designed. I disagree with the theory that you should never have to consult a manual or reference to play a game or it's too complex, you can go too far with it but I don't think nethack actually does

the pet thing sticks out to people because every class starts with one and so pet strats get recommended to new players. could easily be fixed by making only one or two classes start with a pet and giving better starting equipment or stats to the others

nethack is def my favorite of the old school roguelikes tho i haven't played it in ages

i do love all the weird interacting systems like you say. especially stuff like using cockatrices to stone enemies, turning yourself into a black dragon to disintegrate stuff, all the weird poo poo you can do around the castle

nrook posted:

It is true that NetHack has a bunch of nonsense that is only intended for the player to laugh at rather than actually use, but it does have useful and inscrutable mechanics. Price identification immediately comes to mind as an example, as does knowing which corpses are edible. A good NetHack player will also pick up a list of stupid tricks, like kicking rocks before picking them up to identify loadstones.

NetHack players winning unspoiled were practically unheard of; it was a common volley in roguelike wars back in the day that in contrast, people regularly won DCSS without looking anything up. Ah, simpler times.

yeah price id is my biggest beef with early game nethack. super annoying to look that poo poo up and hard to get it right from memory. likewise with corpses but that was at least easier to remember. and of course the endgame is way too much of a slog esp for lawful characters

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

Has anyone played the old game Mage Guild? I've been digging through roguelikes trying to find examples of games with more complex magic systems where you aren't just picking a spell from a list. Not having much luck so far, unfortunately.

Mage Guild has a list of 50 spells, but it's the alchemy system that caught my eye. I'm planning to play it and see for myself once I have some more free time later this week, but if anyone's played it I'd be interested in your experience.

this game is great, used to play the hell out of it, beat it once

just downloaded it again, i'm gonna see what i remember

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

Has anyone played the old game Mage Guild? I've been digging through roguelikes trying to find examples of games with more complex magic systems where you aren't just picking a spell from a list. Not having much luck so far, unfortunately.

Mage Guild has a list of 50 spells, but it's the alchemy system that caught my eye. I'm planning to play it and see for myself once I have some more free time later this week, but if anyone's played it I'd be interested in your experience.

so it's been a while since i played this a lot

in mage guild you don't level from fighting enemies, you collect the level up orb and then descend. fighting enemies gets you remains which you can charge up and affix to your staff to zap other enemies

early game you want to clear levels for loot
mid game you want to assemble a toolkit for winning
late game you want to collect the knowledge orb and get to the stairs. you can even skip the orb and just take the stairs but of course you don't gain the benefits of the orb this way

crystal balls are extremely valuable
a crystal ball of energy detects the knowledge orb
a crystal ball of absorption detects the stairs
a crystal ball of death, when mixed with your staff gives an instantly lethal attack (to living enemies). so i like to keep this for hard fights and hold on to some potions of life for the undead and to keep yourself alive.

archmage tokens have unique and powerful effects, so they are worth preserving for challenging situations. you can use alchemy to change one token into another

endgame spoilers on the last floor you duel the archmage overseeing your test. on my win i chose the white archmage which is a good choice because he doesn't have ranged attacks. there is the added bonus of starting with a white token which can be used to create a useful artifact from monster remains (but all the tokens are good).

he is a bit tricky at staying off the cardinal directions and diagonals but i used the overcharge effect from red tokens to hit him with cone shaped lightning bolts

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

the holy poopacy posted:

A lot of players approach RW that way but it's not the only way. Yean, yeah, synergy is a good thing and all. But there are also a lot of fantastic toolbox spells in RW that just efficiently do a job without needing any support at all, and if you string together a bunch of these then 1) you don't actually need much synergy and 2) you will actually have plenty of points to put together whatever you want. Obviously Arch Sorcerer makes this easier but something like Chain Lightning or Mega Annihilate can be dropped into literally any build and will do what it needs to do.

Like you say that it's hard to get past level 5--it's just not. You can buy 4 cantrips on the first floor and steamroll the next 3 floors with that alone, probably without touching a potion. Now you have 9 SP and can buy almost anything, and it's fairly hard not to buy something that will carry you through the next few floors, enough to get another 9 SP. There's a limit to how far this will go without needing some sort of synergy, but you need surprisingly little synergy in your build if you have a well rounded toolbox to fall back on.

it's tempting to just take whatever spells are discounted by circles on the first few floors and if you do this you will start to fall behind by around floor 5 or so

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

the holy poopacy posted:

"Falling behind" is relative.

This was a bit of a slog and I'm sure I could have done better. It turns out that leaving all your SP untouched after floor 2 is not a pro strat and I would not recommend it! But there's still a lot of free slack in those first 10 floors if you go for efficient workhorse spells over complicated combo pieces--which means that it's very easy to pick up workhorse spells and still get plenty of combo pieces up and running by the time you hit the first wall at floor 11. With really degenerate builds 24 SP is practically enough to win the game on, but even if you're not abusing the most broken stuff 24 SP goes a long way--especially when you already have a lot of your bases covered and your "main" build has a lot less pressure to cover every situation.

(One interesting thing I did learn from this exercise is that as great as discount level 2 spells are I actually did miss having some backup cantrips--yes, objectively buying a level 2 spell for 1 point gets you more bang for your buck than buying a level 1 spell for 1 point, but it happens pretty frequently that you wind up having to cast level 2 spells to finish off a couple wounded stragglers that you could have nailed with a cantrip instead which would have more charges to burn on cleanup and probably more range too. Of course, this principle is sort of the whole point of this exercise.)

1. that is very impressive
2. i probably should have said it is easy to fall behind in that case

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Agrinja posted:

I suck at Rift Wizard and feel like I'm missing something. I keep getting overwhelmed in realm 8ish.

my usual (sorcery) strat is to get a few cantrips and good low level spells and then rush arch sorceror. as the game goes later higher level spells and especially skills pay off really well since in the base game a good build gets plenty of mana potions but you can only use one spell a turn

a good build for sorcery is to do lots of fire damage and then get star fire and other damage redeal skills for more damage and to deal with resistant enemies. searing heat means any fire spell damages anything in line of sight. prince of ruin takes care of crowds. really if you are getting overwhelmed and running fire, lightning, or physical damage prince of ruin is amazing

the holy poopacy gave you a run down on some good lvl 2 spells,
i like to take one or two of these lvl 3 spells on early levels before working on skills

silver spear: does great damage, lots of charges, and does aoe damage against dark and arcane enemies. most phys immune enemies are one of these. note that the aoe doesn't work on generic undead and demons

flame burst: with fire skills you can just cast this a few times and destroy a whole level

nightmare aura: early game you can clear whole levels with this, later it's still good for killing chaff, pinging off shields, and softening hard to reach gates

void beam: very versatile, does strong damage, lets you snipe gates, lets you dig holes for offensive and defensive purposes

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
i finished all the archmage challenges on rift wizard, now i am ready for rift wizard 2 to come out next month

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
rift wizard 2 owns so far, just annihilated myself with the new arc lightning

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Razakai posted:

First impressions of RW2 is that it's a lot harder. While you do fully regen between levels, potions are more scarce, you get less SP and levels in general seem tougher. The items even the playing field a bit but it's still rough compared to RW1.

it does seem harder due to fewer orbs in the early game as well as the mechanic where enemies can get modifiers that give them a bunch of bonus hp and abilities

this makes exotic pet shops quite strong

also being able to guarantee getting the disintegration effect is pretty crazy, and it works on every sorcery spell. really liking the possibilities with some of the new skills

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
hell yeah beat rw2

lessons learned:

arc lightning still kills everything on an open level but don't use proton storm without heavy (ideally full) arcane resist

going through a portal now clears active enchantments

the petrify-aether dagger trick still works

multitile enemies are epic and badass. really rw2 is an improvement on rw1 if only for this

Razakai posted:

I don't even know how you're supposed to kill some bosses in RW2. Was doing pretty well until R20, then I encountered Jormungadr. 4k hp, summons 3 adds every turn, has a map spanning breath attack that "corrupts space" (aka summons random terrain, enemies and gates), plus gains resistances each time it takes damage. Guess I should have packed a Mega Annihilate.

i burned two stopwatches on this fight, i do think jormungandr was harder than mordred.
aoe is very important since i think on the multitile enemies aoe deals once for each covering tile, i used mega annihilate and a buffed up toxin burst

edit: also i used a bag of spikes, this def helped deal with the extra snakes

Pf. Hikikomoriarty fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 26, 2024

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
ok it turns out using dominate on ophan in rw2 is a bad idea

since the corruption attack summons new enemies, you can get into a bad loop

i did eventually get the ding of winning the level but now the screen is full of lich jars, and so i can't find the portal. new enemies are still appearing via corruption, so my dominated army doesn't despawn

presumably every enemy with a corrupts the level attack has this problem too but most of those bosses have tons of hp

i am glad though that word of ice/ice tap/dominate build still works, if anything it is even better once you manage to get it online. i love that word of ice no longer has an hp requirement for the freeze

Pf. Hikikomoriarty fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 27, 2024

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

the holy poopacy posted:

Seconding Soul Tax, it was an amazing utility spell in RW1 and it's even stronger here. Scourge is also great but there's a lot of great cheap CC options now.

Also do not overlook Toxin Burst -- 2 points and its upgrade Withertoxin -- 3 points. Together they give you a massive AOE attack that doesn't require LOS for any part of it and turns off healing for anything that's not immune for poison. It also gets to double dip on fixed damage bonuses (Dark Lord, any applicable dagger type trinkets); Dark + Poison is not an uncommon pair of immunities but you can still thin out a shitton of most levels quickly from a safe position.

Silver Spear -- 3 points is another great staple that got even better. It's solid single target damage with great range and tons of charges, that also murders a huge swath of dark and arcane enemies, and now has the upgrade Copper Shaft -- 3 points which turns it into huge ally-safe AOE murder for anything that's not lightning immune. Especially because it gets full benefit from radius boosts, which are now easily attainable from disk items and the Master of Space skill.

yeah toxin burst with withertoxin is amazing since spawners are not immune to dark, also in rw1 toxin burst was one of my favorite spells for disintegration shrine, which is now guaranteed as a skill

also i love silver spear, such a good spell in both rw1 and 2, hadn't even thought about the synergy with radius boosts

with judicious floor choice it can carry you through early levels too letting you get an unfair synergy online quicker, especially important since you get fewer spell orbs on early levels in rw2

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

YAVP:

Crackledarkener (when an enemy takes Dark damage, redeal Lightning damage to two nearby enemies) and Carnival of Pain (when an enemy takes Physical, Fire, or Lightning damage, redeal it to 4 nearest units as Dark damage) creates an infinite damage loop. I expect it to be fixed/nerfed at some point.

Still had to take some utility spells to deal with Dark/Lightning resistance, but all in all a pretty easy run.

that is rad, nice find

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
in rw2 you can in fact cheese ophan with dominate and mass calcification (turns all non undead allies into bone shamblers)

you still have to beat the rest of the level of course

i got stuck on ophan previously with a dominate build and a level that wouldn't actually clear so this gives you an out if you get soft locked like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

the holy poopacy posted:

I don't really feel very beholden to items, good old fashioned pew pew is all you really need. Outside of a few extreme balance anomalies (mainly just vampire counts, which hopefully get fixed soon but at least are pretty rare for now), unsurmountable enemies are usually a sign you're using the wrong spell for the job.

this is my experience as well

although some items have very powerful effects, so i am at least motivated to take risks out of greed, which is good

it's pretty rare that i find an item and then decide to build around it, usually i get things running with efficient spells and skills and i'll pick up a good item if i see one

but i do love certain items, like the dynamo, always love to see that one early