Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World
Anyone with any interest in the Dead should immediately go get anything they possibly can from the Europe 1972 tour. Goddamn near everything on that tour is just loving fantastic. 1973, 1974 (the "jazz" years) are also loving stellar. Check out 11/11/73 Dark Star for my favorite version ever.

I also encourage checking out 1976. They were finding their footing with Mickey Hart back in the band and they go places in 1976 they never did again. There is a version of Crazy Fingers (I can't remember when exactly) from 1976 that went to places only the major meltdown "space" songs like Dark Star went. Also a the longest Slipknot I ever heard is from Portland 1976. '76 man, check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
^^^^^

This has got to be a quote from Branford Marsalis, but do you have a link to the interview?

On edit this reminds me, has anyone ever heard a recording of the show with Ornette Coleman?

Septic Knothead fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 20, 2014

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
Has anyone actually come out and said what's the deal with Bobby? Heroin? I mean say what you will about Jerry, he never collapsed on stage.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart

Yiggy posted:

We listen to old dead sets all day at work. My manager is partial to late 80's shows but all the MIDI stuff kind of grates on me a little. My sweet spot right now is December 1977. 12/26 is great. Cow Palace NYE is one of my favorite live CD releases.

Is that NYE' 76 into '77 and has a rather strange "Playin' In The Band?" I remember liking that one quite a bit. I'd also like to put in a plug for 1976 shows in general. Mickey was being integrated back into the band and the tempos were slower than normal on some shows. There are some great NFA -> St. Stephens in 1976 and I seem to recall a super long Slipknot! from Portland that year. Give '76 a shot if you have a chance.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart

Final Blog Entry posted:

There's a new Bob Weir documentary on Netflix streaming called The Other One. Nothing groundbreaking in it, but it's a good watch. A bit about Bob's early life and a Bob-centric telling of the band's journey and his relationship with Jerry. Lots of archival footage and new interviews with Bob and others.

Was there any mention of the Mickey and the Hartbeats era? I always wondered what Bobby and Pigpen thought of that.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
I really enjoyed the second half of set one. Cumberland -> Born Cross-Eyed ->Cream Puff War -> Voila Lee Blues I thought were great. The William Tell Bridge was a bit rough in set two, but the jam out of it was nice. Was that a common jam from the '71 era? It seems familiar but I can't place it.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart

The Nards Pan posted:

Thank loving god it's Grateful Dead night at my local tavern in Seattle. I needed something to smooth out the rough edges transitioning from Chicago back to the real world.

The Blue Moon?

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart

Juaguocio posted:

1972: a very good year. Previously in this thread, I've examined the Dead's shows in April/May, June/July, August, and September. Now, let's have a look at October.

Fall 1972 was when the Dead really started to mix up their big jams, experimenting with all kinds of different combinations and transitions. In October, they liked to start jams with Truckin' before branching off in all sorts of directions:

10/02: Truckin'-> jam-> drums-> jam-> Morning Dew
10/19: Truckin'-> drums-> The Other One-> He's Gone-> The Other One
10/26: Truckin'-> Dark Star-> Sugar Magnolia
10/27: Truckin'-> The Other One-> Mississippi Half-Step-> Morning Dew

Those combos all look tasty, but as with any Dead month, there are a few excellent shows from October 1972 that stand above the rest, featuring the best sound, performance, and vibes. They are, in chronological order:

October 2, 1972 - Springfield, MA
This show has one of my favorite versions of Bird Song, really good renditions of Cumberland Blues and Uncle John's Band, and the aforementioned Truckin'-> Morning Dew jam. This sequence isn't the "best" improvisation from this period, but is very interesting in its own right, since it showcases the development of some ideas that would later find homes in the 1973-74 period.

October 18, 1972 - St. Louis, MO
This is definitely the best show from October. The sound comes together after about 5-6 songs, and the whole second set is an outstanding performance, culminating in the first Playing sandwich:
Playing In The Band-> drums-> Dark Star-> Morning Dew-> Playing In The Band

October 28, 1972 - Cleveland, OH
Just a very well played show overall, with nice versions of classics like China->Rider and He's Gone, and a pretty good Dark Star-> Sugar Magnolia.

There are also notable versions of Playing In The Band on October 17 and October 26.

Sadly, the Truckin' from the 27th has a cut about 3 minutes in, and there's another extremely unfortunate cut in the Sugar Mag coming out of Dark Star on the 28th. Even more unfortunate is the lack of good soundboard sources for the 21st, 23rd, 24th and 30th, especially the 24th and 30th, which seem to have excellent performances, but only exist as poor audience recordings.

i just want to say i enjoy your effort posts. I have been on a download kick lately and will be listening to 10/2/72 tonight. Have you done a '74 overview? My favorite era is Europe '72 but I'll take any '72 '73' 74. This is not a high traffic thread, but I always watch for your posts.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart

LordPants posted:

Fall 73: They're all good get them all.

I haven't listened to much '74, I have those 3 warm up shows they did which are cool, it's always interesting to hear them work through new songs. And there's the 1 hour playing in the band as well.

Seattle? HUB Auditorium? edit HEC Edmunson 5/21/74 or was it one of those Feb shows with a 1 hour Playin?

Septic Knothead fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 20, 2015

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart

LordPants posted:

Yeah you're right, Seattle, and it's a 45 minute playing in the band, for some reason I thought it was an hour. :downs:

edit to add confusion my post was poorly structured and suggested that it was in one of the warm up shows. Ughhh this is what happens when I post before coffee.

yeah I have the Seattle show in my files somewhere, that Playin' is epic. I was thinking (hoping) there was another 1 hour Playin' I didn't know about

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart

global tetrahedron posted:

this is also a great AUD, i feel that vibe and the crowd/room were crucial parts of the live dead experience so it's fun to have that ambiance. 'hard to handle' here just rips

https://archive.org/details/gd71-08-06.aud.sirmick.30224.sbeok.flacf

I'm going by memory, too lazy to go check it, but is this the one with "woo guy?"

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
I went to the "Play It Loud" exhibit in NYC

realized it was the last weekend of the exhibit at the Met in NYC and I knew I had to go. I saw Wolf and Tiger. Man, Tiger is a beautiful guitar. It was a nice surprise. I knew that Wolf was there, but I didn't know Tiger was.

(Also Jimmy Page's Dragon and a piece of Jimi's Monterey Strat.)

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
I was at that show. Goddamn was it hot. That's mostly what I remember

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart

Juaguocio posted:

Well, I guess it's time to listen to every show from 1973. Kicking things off with February 9.

edit: I wonder if it was intentional that they played 73 shows in 73.

6/22/1973. Vancouver. One of my all time favorites.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart

Yes! Absolutely.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart

hatelull posted:

I've been on the New Year's Eve Winterland show, working up the steam to explore the 80's live sets.

Morbidly curious: What eras find Garcia at his most heavy into the hard drugs?

My opinion is 1985. Some of his singing sounds a bit like Molly Hatchet. Others may have different takes on when his heaviest use might be. There are some great 1985 performances, but vocally there's a specific way he sings that to my ear is unique to 1985.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart

Final Blog Entry posted:

Looks like you got a good set list! Oteil singing China Doll is a real treat.

I have tickets for Tampa next month, kind of wishing I had grabbed lawn instead of pit tickets for the social distancing aspect. Supposedly they're requiring proof of vax or negative covid test but not sure how that will mesh with our shithead governor doing everything in his power to prohibit any such precautions.

I saw them in VA in August. They checked that I had a vax card. I was in the (open air but covered) pavilion, I didn't feel too crowded while inside. The show was not sold out, but it was pretty full. I wore double masks while inside. My friends did not wear masks at all. I saw only a few people wearing masks while inside. Neither myself or my friends ended up sick afterward. It was only the second show of the tour.

I enjoyed Bird Song in the first set, and HC Sunshine and Scarlet/Fire in the second.`

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
I saw Phil & Friends at the Capitol Theater this week. I found it far more satisfying than the DeadCo shows I saw in August. If you need to scratch that itch, go see Phil!

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart

BigFactory posted:

Who’s in Phil’s band?

Warren Haynes, John Molo, Rob Barraco, JImmy Herring

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart

Final Blog Entry posted:

When that concert was the "Meetup At The Movies" show a bunch of years ago, I dragged my non-Deadhead then girlfriend, now wife, to watch it in the theater. She definitely did not know what to make of naked pole guy lol

I believe that was one of the July 1989 shows from RFK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart

Sway Grunt posted:

Been listening to 12/27/70 past couple of days which is my first foray into the early years. Weird to hear them so scruffy. Bit too bluesy for my taste, and Jerry's singing isn't quite there (might just be the specific show though). I'm also not hearing any keys at all, if Pigpen's actually playing something then the mix buries him completely in this case. Definitely missing that extra sonic layer.

Still pretty fun though.

edit: 12/28/79 now, really good so far. A massive Sugaree to start and I've never heard this weirdo arrangement for Row Jimmy before, I like it a lot.

I have some 1968 stuff that is really well mixed. Pigpen is quite prominent. I found I really like his playing. Also check out Two From The Vault.